Start by marking “Buddy Holly: A Biography” as Want to Read:
Buddy Holly: A Biography

Buddy Holly: A Biography

The tragic, bittersweet story of the founder of rock 'n' roll, Buddy Holly presents the most revealing and enduring biography yet of one of America's greatest music heroes. "In illuminating the scope of Holly's influence . . . that inspired musicians from Paul McCartney to Keith Richards, this book shines".--Entertainment Weekly. of photos.
Published September 1st 1996 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Buddy Holly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buddy Holly

Joe Rodeck
Jul 22, 2015 Joe Rodeck rated it liked it
There's a 5 Star 200-page biography buried within this doorstop of a book. It's a treat for serious rock and roll fans with in-depth explanations of the songs, the guitars (Fenders, Gibsons), the riffs--when you have Buddy Holly teaching Roy Orbison the lick that became "Oh Pretty Woman," you have real fun history. It also features lots of anecdotal information about Buddy's musical generational peer group; it explains well the fragile viability of R & R in '57-'58 and how it barely ...more
Scott
May 10, 2014 Scott rated it it was ok
Mediocre celeb bio... But I sure love Buddy.
Ola
Mar 02, 2009 Ola rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Music fans, near and far. Early rock enthusiasts.
Shelves: music
This is a great music bio, one of the best ones that I've read. And I don't just say this because Buddy Holly's one of my favorite rock 'n' roll legends.

Here is where Ellis Amburn traces from Holly's humble beginnings in Lubbock, Texas, to the gradual rise to stardom, to the site of his fateful plane crash, and to his enduring legacy and influence.
Everything is wonderfully candid, and a lot of insight is given from those who knew Buddy well and loved him. Also included is a shitload of stuff ch
Naomi Krokowski
Apr 14, 2014 Naomi Krokowski rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Amburn's Dark Star, The Roy Orbison Story and was happy to see he chronicled Buddy Holly as well. Both books are exhaustively detailed and chronological, but the Holly one is superior. Perhaps this is because Holly was the more prolific and innovative songwriter, an enormous influence on the greats like the Beatles and the Stones.
His interviews with Holly's widow Maria Elena and brother Larry are hugely important to the book's success.
I ate this book up! So much of why Holly is revere
Ken
Sep 04, 2007 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of early rock and roll, rockabilly
it's a pretty positive review of buddy's life for the most part. as with all biographies, though, one needs more than a single perspective. all i have experienced is this book and the music i have collected.

one irony i noted in my personal journal is that i actually read about buddy's death in this book on the anniversary of his death. didn't notice until a day or two later .... wooo WOOOO wooo...

i also learned, subsequently, that i'm only one friend/degree away from ben hall, who wrote "blue da
Jeff Dickison
May 17, 2011 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good biography of one of the early giants of rock 'n roll. I've been a music collector for almost 50 years and this is a who's who of early rock: Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Rick Nelson, Fats Domino, Roy Orbison and a cast of thousands. They're all here along with the best picture of Maria Elena Holly that I've ever read. This is a must for anyone who wishes to understand the beginnings of rock 'n roll.
Chris Walker
May 25, 2012 Chris Walker rated it it was amazing
Of all the Buddy Holly bios that I've read, and I've read everything I could get my hands on, this is by far my favorite. Less subjective and more informative without a doubt. I'm not saying that I believe all of the infromation that Amburn has included, but he touches on the positive and the not so positive.
Jean Bosh
Apr 14, 2008 Jean Bosh rated it really liked it
This is the most thorough biography on Buddy that I've read. It made me wish I had been around in the 50's!!

Bands think they have it rough on tour these days... try being on the Winter Dance Party tour. Sheesh.
Rich
Apr 25, 2009 Rich rated it really liked it
Very detailed biography, so a little slow to read. Just due to being a huge fan of Buddy Holly -this is great. Started reading due to the 50th anniversary of his untimely death. This book was a bit graphic in the reporting of the aftermath of the plane crash.
Jed Ogea
I just read a great book by Ellis Amburn. A character in the book is Buddy Holly. Now I'm going to write a short summary of the book. The book is about Buddy Holly from a kid growing up and taking you thought his career as a singer.
Monica
Mar 19, 2016 Monica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some good information, but this book is way, way, way too long. The author delves into too many tangents and is unnecessarily repetitive.
Carmen June
Jan 06, 2010 Carmen June rated it liked it
Love Buddy the pioneer! And I'm a pop culture junkie no matter the decade! PS. Buddy wasn't as wholesome as one might think. ;)
Carl
Carl rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2007
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2015
Robert S.
Robert S. rated it did not like it
Sep 20, 2012
Diane Erickson
Diane Erickson rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2015
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2007
Jaye Ann Buzikevich
Jaye Ann Buzikevich rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2014
Jason Jackson
Jason Jackson rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2012
Dennis F Scheuble
Dennis F Scheuble rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2016
Karl
Karl rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Declan
Declan rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2009
Kerry Henderson
Kerry Henderson rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2012
Jon Lafollette
Jon Lafollette rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2014
Rebecca Jessoe
Rebecca Jessoe rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2012
David Murguia
David Murguia rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2012
Gaynor Jones
Gaynor Jones rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Which Buddy Holly Bio Was This? (Solved) [s] 6 17 Feb 03, 2014 04:05PM