Start by marking “The Organization of Information (Library and Information Science Text Series)” as Want to Read:
The Organization of Information (Library and Information Science Text Series)

The Organization of Information (Library and Information Science Text Series)

2.88 of 5 stars 2.88  ·  rating details  ·  586 ratings  ·  64 reviews

The extensively revised and completely updated second edition of this popular textbook provides LIS practitioners and students with a vital guide to the organization of information. After a broad overview of the concept and its role in human endeavors, Taylor proceeds to a detailed and insightful discussion of such basic retrieval tools as bibliographies, catalogs, indexes

Paperback, Second Edition, 417 pages
Published November 30th 2003 by Libraries Unlimited (first published March 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Organization of Information, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Organization of Information

David
My Information Organization and Retrieval class used this book to kick off the first half of the semester. I can honestly say that I learned absolutely nothing in this very dry read...at least, nothing that I didn't discover in the more engaging, detailed and pertinent articles used to supplement this book.

Way to perpetuate the stereotype of boring, schoolmarmy librarians, ARLENE.
Lane Wilkinson
I include this book only as a means of including every book published by Libaries Unlimited. In pursuit of the MLIS, I have been ordered to purchase no fewer than four text-books published by LU. I say with complete, non-inebriated candor that every successive book from LU has set a lower bar for intellectualism. My grades actually suffered from reading this book.

Peter Neely
Oct 21, 2008 Peter Neely rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: readbutwontbuy
This was actually a text I needed for a an introductory Information Science class. For a course that is centered on organization, it would have helped immensely if the text used had been well-organized, clear and did not contradict itself or leave things un-explained, or explained poorly. There were a few well-designed chapters, but the book itself is poorly organized and really hurts the effectiveness of using the information in the text in an efficient manner.
Rachel
Definitely the most dry of all the textbooks for my masters (and those who have had to read the Rubin textbook as well for 701 will find this amazing), not only that but Taylor had such a round about way in telling things that I never really seemed to understand them.
Kimberly
This book was a textbook for an information science course that I took. The topics are pretty self-evident from the title. The book covered many good topics that any information professional should be familiar with. Chapter titles included: retrieval tools, history of organization of recorded information, metadata, encoding standards, system and system design, subject analysis, controlled vocabularies, and classification systems. Overall full of god information, provided overviews of many topics ...more
Ms.
Taylor's text (3rd edition) was required reading for my very first MLIS class of the same name. In general, information regarding the notable people and theories that contributed to cataloging history helps one understand and contextualize why certain systems were created--what problems they help re/solve. This is shared sparingly in Taylor's text, which is her choice I suppose. However, I found the actual descriptions of the various existing cataloging systems and how they function to be very f ...more
Sammy
No thank you. Lots of definitions, and gets you well immersed, but Cataloging is not for me.
Garren
Because this textbook is so broad by necessity, it's not an especially engaging read. However, it does breeze through a huge list of topics, supplying a lot of vocabulary and a little insight into various philosophical debates. This makes it a great starting point for many more focused and obsession-worthy areas.
Plainjane26
This is a textbook but it's still pretty bad. For a book that is supposed to be about the organization of information, it should take its own advice and be a little more organized with the information that it is trying to explain!
Gretchen
It's a bit of a lie to say I read this book, but I read enough to get the general feel for it. As far as textbooks go, it was pretty readable. Not so readable that I could stay awake for very long, though.
Phillip
This is a textbook. There isn't anything wrong with it. But in the end it is a textbook.
Erica
soooo boring. metadata = metaheadache. Kill me now. I will never be a cataloger. NEVER.
Theresa
Used this is one of my first SLIS classes. Good overview of information organization.
I suspect that not even the most well-written and sensibly organized text could make me thrill to the subjects of metadata and cataloging, but I'll never know since my instructor for Information Organization chose to use Taylor and Joudrey's The Organization of Information instead.

The first three chapters (an argument for the continued importance of organizing metadata, a brief synopsis of the types of retrieval tools available, and a historical survey of the history of information organization
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I used this for an independent study course with a student interested in librarianship. While it was dry at times, the bibliography and additional readings are a gold mine, as well as the syllabus to the corresponding course by Joudrey that is freely available online.

Used in the right context, this could be a great resource for those interested in how information is organized. How I wish there had been a course with this content before taking cataloging in library school! I think it would have
Read for school (3rd Ed.). This book wasn't a difficult read, but I didn't really learn much from it. I feel the subject matter wasn't well presented either in this book (so I could teach myself) or by my teacher. Now, I have a very general knowledge of metadata, subject analysis, systems of organization... but between this book and the class, I don't think I'll ever be interested in pursuing a cataloger career. 2*

Warning: this book WILL put you to sleep.
Jesse
This work is a textbook; accordingly it is far more technical than thought provoking in nature. However, it serves its purpose well by providing a general overview of the majority of fundamental concepts involved in information structuring. It is successful in terms of keeping up with current developments in the field. Furthermore, the work is particularly commendable in its detailed sections on metadata and cataloging schemas. The brief histories of the information organizational methodologies ...more
Michael
Dec 18, 2009 Michael rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: MLIS profs
Recommended to Michael by: Eric Meyers
Arlene Taylor's purpose in writing this book was to create an introductory textbook for use in classes on Cataloging, and in that she has indubitably succeeded. Unfortunately, while textbooks in other subjects can be useful for reference (see my review of _Kontakte_) and sometimes even entertaining or illuminating (see my review of _Cognition_), textbooks on cataloging can be nothing but informative, it seems. Taylor doesn't help matters by trying to spice things up by creating controversies whe ...more
Penelope
(class reading for Information Organization and Access)

In the midst of reading the last chapter of this book. I firmly believe that if I pay for a textbook I have to read every single bit of it that is assigned. In this case, the entire book. Uuuugh. Mission accomplished I guess (preemptively celebrating).

This book is pretty boring. However, I found it occasionally to be a decent read. It sort of filled in the "general knowledge" holes that couldn't be covered in more detailed articles assigned
Danielle
The classic text that I had to read for one of my classes and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…….
Sarah Kathleen
This was for school.
Ryan
It's tough to review a textbook, but I'll give it a shot. Taylor outlined her points well, for the most part, but even still, reading texts after 9:00 at night is not a recipe for the highest level of success with regards to retention. Was it useful and helpful for the course? Yes. Will I potentially reference it in the future? Maybe. Will I ever read it over again? Unlikely.
Brian
What can I say about this epic that hasn't already been said? The obsession, the sorrow, and the passion that is Information Organization comes alive in the burning pages of this masterwork. Have faith, all library science acolytes. I speak earnestly, this is an amazing book.

Assigned for the course SLIS 5200 - Introduction to Information Organization.
Jeff
Modern researchers will be much more efficient at researching databases and other sources of high-quality, dependable information if they understand how information is organized. I read this for class but actually learned a great deal that might be useful to the general public in an information society.
Ryan Johnson
Required reading for school. Very technical and dry. Some chapters were engaging, but this was by and large a typical textbook through and through. Great for library geeks who really want to understand the complex inner workings of what we do everyday.
Joseph
A workable introductory text for library cataloging and classification. Not a terribly exciting read, but no remarkable deficiencies, either. My only complaint is that the formatting of the section headings was confusing and somewhat counter-intuitive.
Juliana Es
My textbook, but I'm reading it like any other books so that I enjoy it, and not because I have to read it for the sake of exam. Therefore, this book will remain in "currently-reading" shelf for the whole semester.
Joey H.
Pretty readable for a textbook. A lot of the information is extremely basic, so do not read it if you know much about classification systems or encoding standards and methodologies.
Bee Cee
Feb 11, 2010 Bee Cee added it
Shelves: library-field
Ha... should have read this more during library school, but since I understand after gaining experience of what being a librarian is all about, I actually WANT to read this book.
  • Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century : An Introduction
  • Foundations of Library and Information Science
  • Reference and Information Services: An Introduction (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • Developing Library and Information Center Collections
  • Cataloging and Classification: An Introduction
  • Fundamentals of Collection Development and Management, 2/e
  • Library and Information Center Management
  • Looking for Information: A Survey of Research on Information Seeking, Needs, and Behavior (Library and Information Science)
  • The Portable MLIS: Insights from the Experts
  • Scholarship in the Digital Age: Information, Infrastructure, and the Internet
  • A New Introduction to Bibliography
  • Everything Is Miscellaneous: The Power of the New Digital Disorder
  • The Social Life of Information
Introduction to Cataloging and Classification (Library and Information Science Text Series) Understanding FRBR: What It Is and How It Will Affect Our Retrieval Tools Wynar's Introduction to Cataloging and Classification Authority Control in Organizing and Accessing Information: Definition and International Experience Cataloging With Copy: A Decision Maker's Handbook