Start by marking “Why Moms Are Weird” as Want to Read:
Why Moms Are Weird

Why Moms Are Weird

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  695 ratings  ·  64 reviews
From the acclaimed author of Why Girls are Weird comes a second hilarious and surprising novel about love and family and the weirdo inside us all.

Belinda "Benny" Bernstein doesn't brag about her life in Los Angeles, but she is proud of her independence. She's got a job and a place to live, and she even goes out on dates now and again. But when Benny's mother and sister g
Published August 1st 2006 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Why Moms Are Weird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Moms Are Weird

Rebecca McNutt
I found this book really melodramatic, yet dull and boring and incredibly generic. Diving into the world of reality TV in the form of a book has made me glad I don't watch reality TV, but that's all it gave me.
Jennifer Johnson
I've been a long time reader of the author, Pamela Ribon's blog- Pamie.com and so of course I was very excited to see that she was going to be published. Pamie has a way to make you laugh out loud one second and feel heartbreak the next. When she published her first book, Why Girls are Weird I bought it the first day I could find it in the stores. It was great, and if I had to rate it now I'd probably give it an enjoyable 7/10.

So, needless to say, I was quite excited to see the author was releas
Suad Shamma
I put off reading this book for months after I bought it. When I first came across this book, it was through amazon, and the title caught my attention, then the positive reviews caught my interest. I went looking for it at bookstores around me and couldn't find it anywhere, so I ended up ordering it online. When I first received the book, I admit I didn't like the look of it. I was worried that I have been duped by amazon reviews, the way I was with "The Hating Game" (worst.book.EVER.), so I put ...more
Shauna
This book is about a woman named Belinda “Benny” Bernstein. She lives in Los Angeles and works as a travel agent. She seems to be kind of lost in her life, like she doesn’t know where she needs to be. She’s in and out of relationships and is kind of lonely and not too happy either. Her mother and sister live all the across the country in Virginia. Benny chose to leave Virginia to follow her “actor” boyfriend to Los Angeles. She ended up staying there even after their break up. Anyway, Benny’s mo ...more
Danielle
I did not like Why Moms are Weird nearly as much as Ribon's other two novels. The story is about Benny, a girl who has moved across the country from her family to California. She returns back East to help take care of her mother after she is injured in an automobile accident. Her sister lives with her mother, but is too unreliable to take care of their mom. Upon arriving she discovers that her mother and sister have become hoarders, so she attempts to help clean up the house and put their lives ...more
lisa
i put off reading this when it first came out because, if i'm being totally honest, i didn't like the title and i didn't like the cover and i didn't think i'd be able to relate to it as well as i did with pamie's other books. that skepticism held on probably until about page 20.

my biggest problem with chick lit (in general) is that it so often is about Getting A Man. i do not give the tiniest fuck about some neurotic woman trying to trick someone into marrying her. i am really really interested
Damecatoe
At the end of this book, there is a little Q & A with the author. She explains that she struggled with the difference between story and voice while working on this novel. But I think she’s got it. Why Moms Are Weird is not the same story as Why Girls Are Weird, but it projects from the same voice. (Jennifer Crusie novels, I cannot say the same thing about you.)

Reading pamie.com off and on, I know some parts of the book that have their beginning in her Real Life and that’s sort of fun, becaus
Kimz Zahour
This was so funny I found myself smirking, giggling, telling people the funny parts (yes, I'm one of those) and letting out hoots of laughter during my daily activities when remembering some of the funny lines. I was concerned when I started this book that others would not share my enthusiasm do to the seemingly random tangents the author goes off on. It suited me just fine since I think, and I'm sure talk that way at times anyway. :P It does settle into a nice story line (with a bit of a sit-co ...more
Caitlin
This book had it all - there were parts where I was laughing out loud, crying, and thinking about my own life. I did not want to put it down. It is one of those books where you just want to HELP the characters improve their lives, very similar to wanting to help your friends/family improve their lives and not being able to. It's a good reminder that people do things differently, and everyone helps him/herself when they are ready to. Telling them to shape up and change does not motivate someone t ...more
Amanda
meh. I liked her other books much better...but she has a knack of pinpointing feelings that perhaps you've had all your life but cannot quite catalog or put into words. and she does words, emotions, and dashes of laughter brilliantly. I'll read anything and everything she writes.
Nicole
Wow, this book is so bad, in so many ways. First, the main character is yet-another twenty-something who hates her job, but has a fabulous apartment in Hollywood. (It's usually in Manhattan, but same diff.) Second, she finds herself in one-too-many sitcom situations that just don't happen in real life. For example, she and her boyfriend meet cute in the grocery store and bond over both having names that are song titles. Then she does what every chick lit chick does: she refuses to commit and pla ...more
Susan Bazzett-griffith
This book was funny, but hit on several more serious themes that I found interesting and satisfying. For the first 1/3 of the book, I was not thoroughly convinced that I wanted to finish it because though it was funny/silly, I thought it may completely lack substance; HOWEVER, the story really picked up as Pamela Ribon explored the minor characters and the intricacies of their relationships with her protagonist more. The descriptions of her mother's relationships with men when parallelled by her ...more
Diana
This book is nothing like the title would think. It did though at many times make me burst out laughing. hahahaha It's about a Mom and her 2 daughters. One comes home again without being invited. Such a good story. She comes to help, even though they think they don't need it. Relationships rekindled, new ones made, worthless ones lost. Great ending. Loved it! Loved ALL the characters. I miss them alreadY!!!
I blame my weird mother.

I have an overdeveloped sense of fairness, and what is right and wrong.

People in books, or on TV, that do things that are just plain wrong bother me on a deep level. I can't watch "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" on CartoonNetwork because Blue is always doing things that are wrong.

This is a similar book. The people in this book do things that are consistently wrong, and occasionally malicious, and I just was never able to forgive them for their actions. I know I d
Tata Lapus
What drew me to the book was the title. I didn't know the author and I took the risk of purchasing the book. And sometimes, it is when we take risks that we are rewarded. I love how this story is so funny yet so real. I love that no matter how often a family argues and fights with one another, they will always love each other until the end.

I love Ribon's writing style but I believe this book should have been called "Why Daughters are Weird". Haha! Moms do crazy stuff only because they want thei
Jenie
4.5 stars. Great book. Really, really liked it. Ribon's main character is likeable and well-written. You feel like you could know her in real life and would have a great time hanging out.
Meredith
Funny book written by a comedian/writer (so you know you are going to get some laughs). Book is about this young woman living in LA when her mom and sister are in a car accident and she has to drop everything to go back east. It's all about how crazy her family is and how to all relate to one another. Funny family issues, dating drama, etc. All things you probably can relate to. Great book and I am definitly going to read Why Girls Are Weird her other book.
Marjorie
I love this book. Pamela Ribon truly knows how to capture a reader and keep them interested in the characters and their emotions. This novel, in dealing with image issues, mother/daughter issues and love, really makes the reader think and perhaps reflect or critique their own learning experiences. Pamela Ribon does all this with humor and good grace and bluntness. I can't wait to read another book by this author! Write more please!
Karschtl
Now this is proof that Americans can indeed write nice chick-lit-ish books about young woman without turning it into a romance. And no repetitions or redundant sentences at all!

It was funny, entertaining, one could at some moments identify either with the role of the daughter or with that of the mother (or maybe both?).

Only thing I didn't like: the stupid German title that has so nothing to do with the story.
Cláudia
I was very curious about this book as I really loved the other one I had read by Pamela Ribon, 'Why Girls are Weird'.
This book is less funny. It's a good story, good writing, keeps us interested but it just doesn't have the "it" the other book had. Or maybe I just had too high expectations. Anyway, a good book.
Cheryl
I picked up this book solely in support of the author Pamela Ribon without much regard for content. I have followed her blog on pamie.com for probably 6 or 7 years now and think she is an awesome funny lady. Luckily, and not too surprisingly, the book delivered several very funny parts and over all was an enjoyable read. I'd recommend it if you're okay with the concept of "chick lit".
ReadWriteSnap
I will not argue. Pamela Ribon is funny. I like her pun and gusto. I just didn't feel like I can continue reading the book. I was expecting it to focus on how topsy-turvy hilarious and frustrating being a mom can be. But never that heinous. The first page disturbed me.

I might miss the good parts the book can offer...but, I'll let this pass. Will read the Why Girls Are Weird, though.
bookczuk
I loved this author's first book Why Girls Are Weird but was sadly disappointed in this one. Oh well. You can't hit a home run every time you're up at bat. I just wish I'd cared about any of the characters, but not a single one resonated with me. Sorry.
Rachel
It's a little weird reading an author who writes so autobiographically on her website - I spent a lot of time wondering how much of this came from her real life. But it was a fun read, if a little frustrating (because I wanted to shake all the characters).
Avia
I have to admit I know the author of this book. Still, that does not change the fact that the book is really well written and tremendously funny! I read the first half on a plane, and the lady next to me thought I was crazy because I kept laughing out loud.
Faith Quick
the book started out really good and then it sort of slowed down for me and left me feeling a little cheated at the end. all in all a very good easy fast read. i love how honest her main character is, she makes me laugh.
Flannery
Like Benny's "supermarket DJ," sometimes books just enter (er, reenter, as I read this a few years ago) at just the perfect time and every word resonates.

That's what this book did from the moment I opened it.
Jenn Estepp
based on megan's comments, i wanted to read pamie's new book, but our library didn't have it yet so i read this instead. it's enjoyable, better-than-average chick lit and made fore ideal lunchtime/break reading.
Julie Passett
Strange. Odd. But funny and touching. Is that possible? Another good summer read. Well. Actually I read this at the gym...but it was good and quick and the characters were surprisingly interesting.
Mich
not bad not bad.. i wasnt expecting much tho.. chicklit girl moves back home and tries to 'help' her mom and adult sister.
she does a lot of soul searching along the way and it is rather entertaining
  • It's About Your Husband
  • Losing It
  • The Art of Undressing
  • Life Over Easy
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • Confessions of a Serial Dater
  • Set Up in SoHo
  • Suburbanistas
  • Fashionistas
  • The Marriage Diaries
  • We Are All Fine Here
  • Tabloid Love: Looking for Mr. Right in All the Wrong Places, A Memoir
  • Diary of a Chav (Diary of a Chav, #1)
  • A Clean Slate
  • Questions to Ask Before Marrying
  • Exes and Ohs
  • Me vs. Me
  • The Secret Lives of Fortunate Wives
Pamela Ribon is a TV writer, screenwriter and best-selling novelist (WHY GIRLS ARE WEIRD, YOU TAKE IT FROM HERE). She’s been in comedy rooms for both network and cable television, most notably the Emmy award-winning SAMANTHA WHO?. Pamela has adapted her popular novels for both film and television, and developed original series and features for ABC, ABC Family, Sony, Warner Bros., Disney Channel an ...more
More about Pamela Ribon...
Why Girls Are Weird Going in Circles You Take It From Here Notes to Boys (And Other Things I Shouldn't Share in Public) Du und ich für immer: Roman

“I've never subscribed to that 'Love means never having to say you're sorry' bullshit. In fact, love means you always get the chance to say you're sorry. When we love someone, we always want to forgive them.” 7 likes
“You deserve to know that I love you, more than I ever intended to, more than I ever thought I could love someone whom I admittedly barely know. It's the dumbest love there is, love that doesn't come back -- to you.” 5 likes