Start by marking “Where The Sidewalk Ends: The Poems & Drawings Of Shel Silverstein” as Want to Read:
Where The Sidewalk Ends: The Poems & Drawings Of Shel Silverstein

Where The Sidewalk Ends: The Poems & Drawings Of Shel Silverstein

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  911,421 ratings  ·  8,078 reviews
If you are a dreamer, come in,
If you are a dreamer,
A wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er,
A magic bean buyer …

Come in … for where the sidewalk ends, Shel Silverstein's world begins. You'll meet a boy who turns into a TV set, and a girl who eats a whale. The Unicorn and the Bloath live there, and so does Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout who will not take the garbage out. It

Published November 1st 1995 by Yu Shan She (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Where The Sidewalk Ends, please sign up.

Shepherd Thorleif Halvorsen It is poetry. Some are exceptional poems, and some are not. But poets write whatever comes to their mind. The interpretation and appreciation is…moreIt is poetry. Some are exceptional poems, and some are not. But poets write whatever comes to their mind. The interpretation and appreciation is completely up to the reader. Not everything that I have written is Great, but I know that some of what I have written is. Shel Silverstein was one of the best poets of the 20th century. Fortunately for him, he not only managed to make a living as a writer, but his books are still selling to this day. Sadly, not many writers, especially poets, can say that. (less)

His parents did well naming him Shel.
He never did care to conform.
What would compel a guy to rebel
If everyone knew him as Norm?
Raeleen Lemay
I found a beautiful 40th anniversary edition of this at Costco and just had to pick it up! SUCH A GREAT BOOK THROWBACK TO CHILDHOOD WADDUP
Jan 15, 2009 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: ya, tmi
There's a polar bear - in the fridgedare - he likes it cuz its cold in there!

I wrote a report on this in the 6th grade and I still remember that by heart. That was the year I got braces and Chris N. butted in line when we were coming in from recess and I grabbed his arm and said "No Butting!" and he turned around and punched me in the face. The braces smashed into my lip and it bled so bad! I went to the bathroom with a girlfriend (I can't remember her anymore - isn't that strange?) and she trie
I am crap at reciting from books. Sure, I know your super-famous opening lines and popular misquotations, but I don't really, like, pause in my reading to note a particularly nice turn of phrase so I can commit it to memory.

Which is odd, because I have always had a pretty good memory for the spoken word and, especially, lyrics. When I was little, my parents found this most amusing. They would hear me playing in my bedroom, singing random snatches of commercial jingles and songs from A Prairie Ho
Mar 07, 2008 Austin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Austin by: Almost Everyone
Every child eventually discovers the perverted old man who wrote songs for Johnny Cash, did illustrations for Playboy, appeared on the Dr. Demento show numerous times, and managed to get a few books published along the way.

For some reason, parents never seem to think this creepy old guy who was so fond of children was in any way "disturbing," something I'm continually impressed with in the "ban now, ask questions later" climate of modern culture. If there are people who don't like Shel Silverst
Oct 04, 2011 Sita rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Sita by: My Dad
Shelves: own, favourites, reviewed
All I can say is that this book is amazing. This was the first book that my dad ever read to me and I loved it. I was re-reading it today and I normally don’t love books I loved when I was little, but this book is different. I still love it, there’s not much else I can say that people haven’t already said, so I am just going to end this super short review now.

P.S. If you haven’t read this before I recommend giving it a go, it is a nice fun, simple read that I’m sure you’ll enjoy reading.
Such an amazing book! This new addition has 12 new poems, and they fit in perfectly with our beloved favorites. The first poem, Invitation, sums the book up perfectly, and remains one of my favorite poems of all time:

If you are a dreamer, come in,
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!

And once you do, you'll never be the same. Awaken your silly
Duchess Nicole
This is officially one of my favorite children's books. I read this with my 10, 9, and 7 year old daughters. We all loved the book so very much, but I was really surprised at just how into it I was...I think the girls got just as big a kick out of watching me laughing maniacally as they got out of the actual book.

I realize that I'm way behind on discovering this author, and so I'm just giving a general 'enjoyment' review. Silverstein not only made me laugh so hard I almost cried, but he also wr
Look O Look!
You can start again
And follow the bend
Where the sidewalk ends
Emily May
“I will not play at tug o' war.
I'd rather play at hug o' war,
Where everyone kisses,
And everyone grins,
And everyone cuddles,
And everyone wins.”
One of my most favorite authors of my youth, Silverstein does a most excellent job of tapping into the heart of a child. Whether it be a child's heart in an adult or an actual child, the result is the same: pure and simple joy. Silverstein excels not only in rhyming, but his use of adjectives in the English language when describing things such as "icky, stick, peanut butter sandwiches" makes this a joy not only to listen to, but to read out loud as well. I remember having it read to me for the f ...more
Mommy and I are going through one poem at a time. So far I like it, but am rather confused by a few!!

6/27/08--My favorite poem so far is Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me Too! I love how is sounds when Mommy says it.
Maryam Hosseini

با زرنگی آرزوی سه تا آرزوی دیگه کرد
که رسید به چهل و شش تا - یا پنجاه و دو تا شاید؟

خلاصه ، به هر حال از هر آرزوش
،در جهت آرزو برای آرزوه
One of my favorites from when I was a kid. I remember this book along with 'light in the attic' always being checked out of the school library and not wanting to give it back when my turn was up.

Re-visiting it as an adult, I found some of the poems I didn't care for but plenty of my old favorites still had me smiling and sometimes reading them again before turning the page.

Just a fun book, highly recommend :)
Incredibly entertaining poems. I do a poem a week with my 2nd graders, and our current one is Melinda Mae. Let's see if I can remember it from the top of my head:

"Have you heard of tiny Melinda Mae
who ate a monstrous whale?
She thought she could, she said she would
So she started in right at the tail.
And everyone said, 'You're much too small!'
But that didn't bother Melinda at all.
She took little bites and chewed very slow, just like a little girl should...

And in 89 years she ate that whale
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
I forgot I had this book, - so long ago my art teacher gave me a copy - I memorized so many of these poems - just re-reading it now I am surprised at how many stayed with me.

To hear Shel read them is an experience... he has a pretty creepy voice on some of them.

Leaves me singing "On the cover of Rolling Stone".
Rating: 5/5

Nu am mai citit de multă vreme o carte cu poezii așa că am fost extrem de bucuroasă când am auzit că una dintre cărțile lui Shel Silverstein avea să fie tradusă la Editura Arthur. Eu știam o poezie de-a lui de mai multă vreme și îmi plăcea la nebunie (din păcate nu se regăsește în cartea de față) dar nu cunoșteam numele autorului.

În momentul când am descoperit că Where the sidewalk ends - Acolo unde nu mai e trotuar este o carte de poezii însoțită de ilustrații, am făcut imediat legăt
Mike (the Paladin)
Fun fantastic...enjoy.

I read this with and to both my kids. my wife enjoyed it and so did (do) I. Silverstein seems endlessly imaginative. We had so much fun together with this volume, I recommend it. Even if you don't like everything you more than likely will like something. (Sound like something Silverstein might say :-))

Another review I hadn't read recently. My attention was called back to it.

When my children were small this is one we read together several times... It may not all be what you
Erin Dixon
SUMMARY: Where the Sidewalk Ends is a collection of poems by Shel Silverstein. All of the poems have a humorous tone to them, but a little bit of a moral at the end as well. All of the poems are about different scenarios and have no specific order that they need to be read in.
CRITIQUE: The majority of the poems in Where the Sidewalk Ends have some kind of rhyming pattern to them. However, the rhyme is not predictable; it is very fresh. A child reading this book would be able to determine the pat
Shel Silverstein makes me think about the nature v. nurture debate. When I was a kid I really really loved his silly poems and even more so his fascinating, messily detailed illustrations. This interest led me into cartoons and comic books as a young adult and that interest stayed with me into my teens and early 20s. Now as a grownup(?) I'm still drawn to media with a sense of playfulness and whimsy, like digital graphics and street art. Im also always amazed at how good cartoons and animated ch ...more
This book brings back so many childhood memories for me. It is full of humorous and lighthearted poems that make me smile. But it also teaches us many important life lessons. It is kid-friendly, but can also be enjoyed by adults. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves to laugh and has a creative imagination. Shel Silverstein is a genius.
quirky yet sentimental...

honestly i had reservations about picking up this book, poetry and me not really being the closest of buddies. then of course the fact that this was supposedly meant for toddlers and such (disdainful much??).

it wasn't long before i was shown the depths of my arrogance. hopefully never again...(but who knows).

okay. to the point. i ADORED this book.

a lot of the poetry here are funny (not outright hilarious, more like plain goofy), and yet come to think of it, still some o
Tim "The Enchanter"
This is my second time through this book of classic poems by Shel Siverstein. This time around I read it to my girls (ages 4 and 6). While the 4 year old didn't understand many of the poems, she was entertained nonetheless. The silly pictures helped in that regard. It was fun to read them to my 6 year old and watch her try and work out what the poem was really saying. Occasionally, there were poems that I didn't like for my children, i.e. "who ate the baby". For the most part they were age appro ...more
DJ Harris
Shel Silverstein never disappoints!

Poem after poem, he takes simple kid-friendly wonders and fears and creates clear imagery using rhyme, rhythm and cadence. His rhymes are fun and entertaining! This book is a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
Hissa Reads
I relished every single page of it! Such a sweet good book
The back cover of the dust jacket to Where the Sidewalk Ends describes Shel Silverstein as the author of The Giving Tree and other books of prose and poetry. The brief bio then goes on to state that Silverstein "writes songs, draws cartoons, plays the guitar, and has a good time".

Ultimately, that's what Where The Sidewalk Ends is about--having a good time. The opening invitation to the book--a poem--encapsulates the feel and the tone of the book:

If you are a dreamer, come in.
If you are a dreamer
“If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar. A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...
If you’re a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!”

If you are any of the above-er, Shel Silverstein’s warm, open invitation into the pages of his second collection of poetry for children is for you. Let your imagination runaway with the help of short and to the point funny descriptions of everyday activities and three page narra
“Where the Sidewalk Ends” is another book of poems from the creative mind of Shel Silverstein, who is the popular author of “A Light in the Attic.” This book details poems about silly people and animals doing crazy activities. Even though this book has some suggestive content, children will easily be delighted in this book for many years.

Shel Silverstein has done an awesome job with both illustrating and writing this book of poems. Shel Silverstein’s writing is witty and creative as uses bizarr
I got into the Shel Silverstein craze after reading The Missing Piece Meets the Big O online. Good stuff. Fun books, some of them with good messages.

This particular book of his is a collection of poems, some with accompanying illustrations (he does both) that are "at once outrageously funny and profound." Some are just so weird, you have to laugh, or at least make a funny face because you have no idea what you just read. Some of them have messages embedded within (for example, why you shouldn't
Unlike many children, including my wife, I didn't grow up reading Shel Silverstein. This is both sad and joyous. Sad because I didn't read him sooner, but joyous because I get to discover him fully now as an adult. Nothing short of brilliant. I especially love his more subversive pieces that take aim at complacency and thoughtlessness and other symptoms of ignorance that are too present in our culture.
Poetry 2 8 Nov 17, 2015 12:31PM
  • The New Kid on the Block
  • The Monster at the End of this Book (Sesame Street)
  • The Butter Battle Book
  • Sideways Stories from Wayside School (Wayside School #1)
  • A Poke in the I: A Collection of Concrete Poems
  • Goodnight Moon
  • Animalia
  • The Napping House
  • The Stinky Cheese Man: And Other Fairly Stupid Tales
  • The Very Busy Spider
  • Serendipity
  • Miss Nelson Is Missing! (Miss Nelson, #1)
  • Stellaluna
  • Leonardo, the Terrible Monster
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?
  • Sing a Song of Popcorn: Every Child's Book Of Poems
  • Henry and Ribsy (Henry, #3)
  • Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
Shel Silverstein was the author-artist of many beloved books of prose and poetry. He was a cartoonist, playwright, poet, performer, recording artist, and Grammy-winning, Oscar-nominated songwriter.
More about Shel Silverstein...

“I will not play at tug o' war.
I'd rather play at hug o' war,
Where everyone kisses,
And everyone grins,
And everyone cuddles,
And everyone wins.”
“My skin is kind of sort of brownish pinkish yellowish white. My eyes are greyish blueish green, but I'm told they look orange in the night. My hair is reddish blondish brown, but its silver when its wet, and all the colors I am inside have not been invented yet.” 702 likes