Morbid Curiosity Cures the Blues: True Stories of the Unsavory, Unwise, Unorthodox and Unusual from the magazine 'Morbid Curiosity'

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  26 reviews
For ten years, Morbid Curiosity was a one-of-a-kind underground magazine that gained a devoted following for its celebration of absurd, grotesque, and unusual tales -- all true -- submitted from contributors around the country and across the world. Loren Rhoads, creator and editor of the magazine, has compiled some of her favorite stories from all ten issues in this someti...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Scribner (first published September 8th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Morbid Curiosity Cures the Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morbid Curiosity Cures the Blues

Hannah
Dec 23, 2009 Hannah rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of the perverse, weird and disgusting
Recommended to Hannah by: Good Reads win
Shelves: non-fiction
I want it on the record that this was a Good Reads win - lol.

Morbid Curiosity Cures the Blues is a compillation of over 40 short stories and articles (classified as non-fiction) culled from the editions of Morbid Curiosity magazine (which in my sheltered world I have never heard of). The cover title tells the reader immediately what to expect, and it doesn't lie, so you have been warned (i.e. True Stories of the Unsavory, Unwise, Unorthodix and Unusual).

Some of the topics covered in the 287 page...more
Chibineko
I love the macabre, the morbid, the dark, the stories that my sisters decide are just a little too strange for them. It would come of no surprise to them that this is a book I chose to read. They've seen me read things with worse titles.

But this book affected me more than some of the other things I've read, mostly because these stories are true while much of what I read is fiction. The stories in this book range from entertaining (a story of one girl's search for a good high in Asia) to downrig...more
Carole Tyrrell
Nov 27, 2011 Carole Tyrrell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes the dark side.
I won a copy of this book in a competition on Facebook run by Morbid Curiosity’s editor and publisher, Loren Rhoads, and it introduced me to a magazine and a group of writers that I might never have read or heard of otherwise. The only writer I had had any previous acquaintance with was Mehitobel Wilson as we appeared in an anthology together.
The cover advertises the contents as ‘true stories of the unsavory, unwise, unorthodox, and unusual’ and I was immediately hooked. But I saved up reading i...more
Allison
Puppies, kittens, and sun-dappled meadows! Maypoles and pastels! I suspect that a substantial amount of the enjoyment I derived from this book is rooted in the fact that I spent a decent chunk of it thinking to myself, "Wow, I'm not that maladjusted." This was when I wasn't thinking, "Wow, I'm not that open-minded," or "Wow, this is profound/funny/gross/etc." These thoughts were peppered by the occasional shrug/sigh at the rare encounter with the sillier/more pretentious/simply less effectual bi...more
Robert Beveridge
Loren Rhoads (ed.), Morbid Curiosity Cures the Blues (Simon and Schuster, 2009)

One of my favorite books of the nineties was Apocalypse Culture, the Adam Parfrey-edited compendium of the weird and wonderful. I'd never found another book quite like it, and while Morbid Curiosity Cures the Blues doesn't entirely qualify, it's about the closest I've seen in the past couple of decades, and that's good enough for me.

This is a collection of personal essays (for the most part) that appeared in Morbid Cu...more
Nanci Svensson
This, of course, is a re-read, and still a favorite.
I realize now though, since this is a collection of the writings in Rhoads' Morbid Curiosity magazine, that I'm going to have to roam the attic for all my old issues of the zine. I reveled in them when I was in my 20s (precluding and possibly inspiring my actual career as a grad student in forensic pathology...).
So, yeah, this is in deed TRULY inspirational reading! Stay off Eat, Pray, Love, folks.
Audrey
I had never heard of the magazine Morbid Curiosity before picking up this book, but now I wish I had. The sample of odd essays I found in this volume made me want more. I kept imagining the odd things from my life that I would write about if Morbid Curiosity was still being published. Topics in this book range from exploring a Nazi concentration camp to finding your landlord dead to offering up your body for a medical experiment that removes 2/3 of your blood and replaces it with saline solution...more
Annie
I confess: I could not finish this disgusting and/or disturbing book. I found a couple of articles to have redeeming qualities, but I felt most of the authors needed serious therapy. I read most of the book but got bored and at some point nauseated. I guess there is a market for this fare, but it is not for me. Sorry. Think I will go back to reading true crime books for some light reading. I gave it one star for the two articles I liked (more or less).
Angela
A great compilation of short stories... all true, unfortunately. This book covers the gamut of all things disturbing. From waking up in surgery, to experiencing a Black Mass for the first time, this book opens you up to new worlds and experiences... most that I wouldn't want to try first hand.
Dana
Bettina Robertson
This book is not for everyone. If you do not enjoy bizarre tales, then I suggest you don't read it. I, however, enjoyed this book.
Leilani
A fun, fast read. And a good representation of the magazine as a whole (which a decent collection should be)!
Schannon Mccloud
The book was good. All the different stories in it are worth reading.
Kathleen
A treasure trove of odd and provocative practices and pursuits.
Athena
This book rocks! It's very strange and fun and I recommend it.
Sharon
Another fine collection of nasties from Loren Rhoads.
allegra
I think I'm allowed to give this five stars...
Caitlin
This was terribly disappointing. The annoyances were numerous including, but not limited to:

- The format of the book - It's printed in newspaper type with two columns per page as if it were still a zine. It makes reading it difficult.

- The introduction - This is printed as in a regular book and starts out okay, but quickly devolves into self-congratulatory drivel. Yes, yes, you are the coolest, gothest ever. We all bow to your amazingness.

- The writing - Almost universally mediocre. These were t...more
Helen
A mixed bag of true tales from Morbid Curoisity magazine. My personal favourites were 'Souvenir of Hell' (and is probably the best written piece), and 'Lock it Behind You', since these were the most emotive articles. But for sheer shock-horror factor, the best was one woman's experience of anesthesia awareness.
It's true there's nothing like a little horror to make you glad to be alive!
Leslie Inglis
There are a few really great reads in this book but there are also a number of little substance that felt like nothing more than the author's attempt to prove just how bad ass their alternative life style/ fetish etc is.. I give this book 3 stars for the 40% of intriguing reads.
kate
as dana below said: "While I've not picked up the actual book yet, I've read (and own) all the Morbid Curiosity magazines these essays were pulled from to create this book. I give my five star rating with confidence and can't to buy the book!"

exactly the same situation here!
Monique
Made up of select contributions from the defunct magazine Morbid Curiosity this collection feels a little uneven. I have to admit that the story about Auschwits will stick with me. That story really bothered me on a number of levels.
Mandy
Some good stories here, but also some that surprised me by making the cut. If this book is supposed to reflect the best of Morbid Curiosity magazine, I'm not rushing to eBay to scrounge up back issues.
Katrina
Jul 05, 2010 Katrina is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Lately I've not been reading essay collections all the way through, but picking them up and reading an essay or two now and then, so this book is likely to be on my "currently reading" shelf for some time.
AM10000
Some stories were well-written, while others weren't so great...but overall very interesting.
Raye
Raye marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Choquefrontal
Choquefrontal marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Ghost
Ghost marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Loren is the co-author of AS ABOVE, SO BELOW, author of WISH YOU WERE HERE: Adventures in Cemetery Travel, and editor of THE HAUNTED MANSION PROJECT: YEAR TWO.

She blogs about cemeteries as travel destinations at CemeteryTravel.com and about all things morbid at Loren Rhoads.com

For 10 years, Loren edited the cult nonfiction magazine Morbid Curiosity. MORBID CURIOSITY CURES THE BLUES, a collection...more
More about Loren Rhoads...
Death's Garden: Relationships With Cemeteries Wish You Were Here: Adventures in Cemetery Travel As Above, So Below Ashes & Rust The Haunted Mansion Project: Year Two

“Curiosity is the single most important attribute with which humans are born. More than a simple desire to discover or know things, curiosity is a powerful tool, like a scalpel or a searchlight. Curiosity changes us. It is also a way to effect change, perhaps even on a global level.” 11 likes