Start by marking “Mojo: Conjure Stories” as Want to Read:
Mojo: Conjure Stories

Mojo: Conjure Stories

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
Mojo -- a powerful, disturbing anthology edited by Nalo Hopkinson that explores the world of voodoo -- contains short stories by some of the biggest names in modern fantasy, including Neil Gaiman, Barbara Hambly, Steven Barnes, Andy Duncan, and Tananarive Due. Although the stories explore the myths and legends of personal magic, the subject mat
Published April 1st 2003 by Aspect

To ask other readers questions about Mojo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mojo

Ken
All anthologies are uneven, but this is one of the more consistently good collections I've found. Contains some truly wonderful writing. When the piece by Neil Gaiman is one of the weakest in the bunch, you're onto something good.
Alakee Bes
Connected yet disconnected stories -mixing and introducing spirit and mystery... A good read and the short stories allow u to jump in and out!
Owen
Great compilation. Many stories really creeped me out. I was glad to read it, and then glad to put it down.
Mocha Girl
The introduction of Mojo: Conjure Stories warns the reader to beware, to adorn their protective beads, to pocket their jujubags and sets the stage for the mystical anthology contained therein. The novel, edited by Nalo Hopkinson, is comprised of nineteen short stories from noteworthy authors such as Steven Barnes, Tananarive Due, and Barbara Hambly. All tales are colorful, creative, and rooted in "mojo" - a tricky, powerful, and dangerous magic with a West African flavor.
This is a diverse collec
Cheney
"Religion and magic are two different things. Religion is an institutionalized system of spiritual beliefs and rituals through which one worships one's gods. Magic, on the other hand, is the practice of altering the fated progression of events to suit one's desires. In some ways, magic is an ultimate act of presumption. It is tricky, powerful, and often dangerous." - excerpt from the editor's note.

Speed of writing style seems to be a consistent criteria for many readers. For me, this collection
A.E.
Hands down one of THE best anthologies I've ever read with some of the most creative, inventive, and original speculative fiction stories I've read.
Kurt
Short stories. I like the idea often more than the execution. Sometimes short story collections are hit and miss... a few good ones and mostly bad ones. I actually enjoyed a majority of stories in here. The idea of Conjure is sorta spread to mean all-African (both diaspora and not) belief systems. Some are more traditional hoodoo, others Santeria, others take place directly in Africa. The Daddy Mention story is awesome and I really liked Barbara Hambly's story, too.
Julia
This is a colleciton of short fiction which touches on various aspects of vodou, African and African-American folklore and magic. The stories all have strikingly different takes on subjects such as shape shifters, spirit possession, loas (deities in vodou), and folk magic. Some of the stories are creepifying and others are hilarious. A wonderful collection of short fiction. There are one or two stories that aren't to my taste, but it's definitely worth purchasing.
branewurms
A few of these fell kind of flat for me, but overall I found this to be a great collection. Oddly, my favorite of the bunch was Lark Till Dawn, Princess - the one about the drag queen. I say "oddly" because it was probably the least creepy out of a group of stories that generally seemed to be going for hella creepy. Instead it was campy, hilarious, and sweetly poignant. (And Legba! A (view spoiler). AWESOME.)
Frankie Lennon
I've chosen this highly entertaining and fascinating collection of short stories to my English literature and composition class reading list. It's editied by a well known African American woman writer. She's chosen well. These stories teach you about some of the elements of Black culture while they entertain you with stories of "mojo magic."
K. H. Vaughan
Vasha7
Mostly serious, sometimes horrific; quite an interesting assortment. I really loved Gerard Houarner's story "She'd Make a Dead Man Crawl", and I wonder why I've not seen much mention of it from other people.
Wizzard
I like these stories. Some of them I really like. Others I like pretty well. It is cool to see how conjure is described in various places, spaces, and times. A book chock full of interesting characters.
Red
i am slow in reading this. though it came highly recommended, something about it is not my speed. there are however quite a few colloquialisms- which are interesting.
Sumayyah
Loved it. The only thing is, the whole time I was reading, that old blues song was running through my head. "I got my mojo workin'", is it?
tessa maria lalonde
Read this if only for Andy Duncan's short story entitled, "Daddy Mention".
Indigo Moon
Very Interesting, a good read if you have a open mind.
Seven
This is in my collections
Sandy
Sandy added it
Dec 14, 2014
Nancy
Nancy added it
Dec 12, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Giorgia
Giorgia marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Emari
Emari marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Daquon108
Daquon108 marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Isao
Isao marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Karyn
Karyn marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
  • Dark Matter: A Century of Speculative Fiction from the African Diaspora
  • Beyond Binary: Genderqueer and Sexually Fluid Speculative Fiction
  • Voodoo in Haiti
  • Filter House
  • The Gilda Stories
  • The Kappa Child
  • Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
  • Three Messages and a Warning: Contemporary Mexican Short Stories of the Fantastic
  • Steam-Powered:  Lesbian Steampunk Stories
  • Avengers of the New World: The Story of the Haitian Revolution
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twentieth Annual Collection
  • Stealing Magic
  • When Fox is a Thousand
Nalo Hopkinson is a Jamaican-born writer and editor who lives in Canada. Her science fiction and fantasy novels and short stories often draw on Caribbean history and language, and its traditions of oral and written storytelling.

More about Nalo Hopkinson...
Brown Girl in the Ring Midnight Robber The Salt Roads Sister Mine Skin Folk