Start by marking “Mojo: Conjure Stories” as Want to Read:
Mojo: Conjure Stories

Mojo: Conjure Stories

The Barnes & Noble Review
Mojo -- a powerful, disturbing anthology edited by Nalo Hopkinson that explores the world of voodoo -- contains short stories by some of the biggest names in modern fantasy, including Neil Gaiman, Barbara Hambly, Steven Barnes, Andy Duncan, and Tananarive Due. Although the stories explore the myths and legends of personal magic, the subject mat
Published April 1st 2003 by Aspect

To ask other readers questions about Mojo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mojo

Aug 19, 2012 Ken rated it it was amazing
All anthologies are uneven, but this is one of the more consistently good collections I've found. Contains some truly wonderful writing. When the piece by Neil Gaiman is one of the weakest in the bunch, you're onto something good.
Alakee Bes
Aug 17, 2012 Alakee Bes rated it really liked it
Connected yet disconnected stories -mixing and introducing spirit and mystery... A good read and the short stories allow u to jump in and out!
Mocha Girl
Oct 20, 2009 Mocha Girl rated it really liked it
The introduction of Mojo: Conjure Stories warns the reader to beware, to adorn their protective beads, to pocket their jujubags and sets the stage for the mystical anthology contained therein. The novel, edited by Nalo Hopkinson, is comprised of nineteen short stories from noteworthy authors such as Steven Barnes, Tananarive Due, and Barbara Hambly. All tales are colorful, creative, and rooted in "mojo" - a tricky, powerful, and dangerous magic with a West African flavor.
This is a diverse collec
Jan 15, 2009 Cheney rated it it was amazing
"Religion and magic are two different things. Religion is an institutionalized system of spiritual beliefs and rituals through which one worships one's gods. Magic, on the other hand, is the practice of altering the fated progression of events to suit one's desires. In some ways, magic is an ultimate act of presumption. It is tricky, powerful, and often dangerous." - excerpt from the editor's note.

Speed of writing style seems to be a consistent criteria for many readers. For me, this collection
A few of these fell kind of flat for me, but overall I found this to be a great collection. Oddly, my favorite of the bunch was Lark Till Dawn, Princess - the one about the drag queen. I say "oddly" because it was probably the least creepy out of a group of stories that generally seemed to be going for hella creepy. Instead it was campy, hilarious, and sweetly poignant. (And Legba! A (view spoiler). AWESOME.)
This is a colleciton of short fiction which touches on various aspects of vodou, African and African-American folklore and magic. The stories all have strikingly different takes on subjects such as shape shifters, spirit possession, loas (deities in vodou), and folk magic. Some of the stories are creepifying and others are hilarious. A wonderful collection of short fiction. There are one or two stories that aren't to my taste, but it's definitely worth purchasing.
Apr 20, 2010 Kurt rated it really liked it
Shelves: hoodoo, the-south
Short stories. I like the idea often more than the execution. Sometimes short story collections are hit and miss... a few good ones and mostly bad ones. I actually enjoyed a majority of stories in here. The idea of Conjure is sorta spread to mean all-African (both diaspora and not) belief systems. Some are more traditional hoodoo, others Santeria, others take place directly in Africa. The Daddy Mention story is awesome and I really liked Barbara Hambly's story, too.
Frankie Lennon
Jun 08, 2011 Frankie Lennon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I've chosen this highly entertaining and fascinating collection of short stories to my English literature and composition class reading list. It's editied by a well known African American woman writer. She's chosen well. These stories teach you about some of the elements of Black culture while they entertain you with stories of "mojo magic."
K.H. Vaughan
Nov 08, 2013 K.H. Vaughan rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2011 Vasha7 rated it really liked it
Mostly serious, sometimes horrific; quite an interesting assortment. I really loved Gerard Houarner's story "She'd Make a Dead Man Crawl", and I wonder why I've not seen much mention of it from other people.
Sep 09, 2008 Wizzard rated it really liked it
I like these stories. Some of them I really like. Others I like pretty well. It is cool to see how conjure is described in various places, spaces, and times. A book chock full of interesting characters.
Sep 17, 2007 Red rated it it was ok
i am slow in reading this. though it came highly recommended, something about it is not my speed. there are however quite a few colloquialisms- which are interesting.
Jun 16, 2016 A.E. rated it it was amazing
Hands down one of THE best anthologies I've ever read with some of the most creative, inventive, and original speculative fiction stories I've read.
Aug 31, 2011 Owen rated it really liked it
Great compilation. Many stories really creeped me out. I was glad to read it, and then glad to put it down.
Serenity L
Feb 19, 2016 Serenity L rated it really liked it
I read a LOT. But found this book hard to read. I forced myself to finish it in the library parking lot the day it was due back. I don't know why I had this reaction to this book.
Sharon Joss
Mar 23, 2015 Sharon Joss rated it it was amazing
Fantastic & lush; this collection is one of the best anthologies I've read. Every story is top notch and unique. Loved it.
Apr 20, 2011 Sumayyah rated it really liked it
Loved it. The only thing is, the whole time I was reading, that old blues song was running through my head. "I got my mojo workin'", is it?
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2014
Markeith rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Janine Betsey
Janine Betsey rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2015
S rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2013
Jeremy Lamastus
Jeremy Lamastus rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2015
Tarrell C
Tarrell C rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2011
Mackenzie rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2014
Malon rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2011
Sharon rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2012
Avrildulac rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2013
Roberta rated it did not like it
Sep 25, 2011
Starhen rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2010
Chris Bissette
Chris Bissette rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2014
  • Steam-Powered:  Lesbian Steampunk Stories
  • AfroSF: Science Fiction by African Writers
  • Unfathomable City: A New Orleans Atlas
  • Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
Nalo Hopkinson is a Jamaican-born writer and editor who lives in Canada. Her science fiction and fantasy novels and short stories often draw on Caribbean history and language, and its traditions of oral and written storytelling.

More about Nalo Hopkinson...