Start by marking “Mojo: Conjure Stories” as Want to Read:
Mojo: Conjure Stories

Mojo: Conjure Stories

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
Mojo -- a powerful, disturbing anthology edited by Nalo Hopkinson that explores the world of voodoo -- contains short stories by some of the biggest names in modern fantasy, including Neil Gaiman, Barbara Hambly, Steven Barnes, Andy Duncan, and Tananarive Due. Although the stories explore the myths and legends of personal magic, the subject mat
Published April 1st 2003 by Aspect

To ask other readers questions about Mojo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mojo

Ken
All anthologies are uneven, but this is one of the more consistently good collections I've found. Contains some truly wonderful writing. When the piece by Neil Gaiman is one of the weakest in the bunch, you're onto something good.
Alakee Bes
Connected yet disconnected stories -mixing and introducing spirit and mystery... A good read and the short stories allow u to jump in and out!
Owen
Great compilation. Many stories really creeped me out. I was glad to read it, and then glad to put it down.
Mocha Girl
The introduction of Mojo: Conjure Stories warns the reader to beware, to adorn their protective beads, to pocket their jujubags and sets the stage for the mystical anthology contained therein. The novel, edited by Nalo Hopkinson, is comprised of nineteen short stories from noteworthy authors such as Steven Barnes, Tananarive Due, and Barbara Hambly. All tales are colorful, creative, and rooted in "mojo" - a tricky, powerful, and dangerous magic with a West African flavor.
This is a diverse collec
Cheney
"Religion and magic are two different things. Religion is an institutionalized system of spiritual beliefs and rituals through which one worships one's gods. Magic, on the other hand, is the practice of altering the fated progression of events to suit one's desires. In some ways, magic is an ultimate act of presumption. It is tricky, powerful, and often dangerous." - excerpt from the editor's note.

Speed of writing style seems to be a consistent criteria for many readers. For me, this collection
A.E.
Hands down one of THE best anthologies I've ever read with some of the most creative, inventive, and original speculative fiction stories I've read.
Sharon Joss
Fantastic & lush; this collection is one of the best anthologies I've read. Every story is top notch and unique. Loved it.
Kurt
Short stories. I like the idea often more than the execution. Sometimes short story collections are hit and miss... a few good ones and mostly bad ones. I actually enjoyed a majority of stories in here. The idea of Conjure is sorta spread to mean all-African (both diaspora and not) belief systems. Some are more traditional hoodoo, others Santeria, others take place directly in Africa. The Daddy Mention story is awesome and I really liked Barbara Hambly's story, too.
Julia
This is a colleciton of short fiction which touches on various aspects of vodou, African and African-American folklore and magic. The stories all have strikingly different takes on subjects such as shape shifters, spirit possession, loas (deities in vodou), and folk magic. Some of the stories are creepifying and others are hilarious. A wonderful collection of short fiction. There are one or two stories that aren't to my taste, but it's definitely worth purchasing.
branewurms
A few of these fell kind of flat for me, but overall I found this to be a great collection. Oddly, my favorite of the bunch was Lark Till Dawn, Princess - the one about the drag queen. I say "oddly" because it was probably the least creepy out of a group of stories that generally seemed to be going for hella creepy. Instead it was campy, hilarious, and sweetly poignant. (And Legba! A (view spoiler). AWESOME.)
Frankie Lennon
I've chosen this highly entertaining and fascinating collection of short stories to my English literature and composition class reading list. It's editied by a well known African American woman writer. She's chosen well. These stories teach you about some of the elements of Black culture while they entertain you with stories of "mojo magic."
K.H. Vaughan
Vasha7
Mostly serious, sometimes horrific; quite an interesting assortment. I really loved Gerard Houarner's story "She'd Make a Dead Man Crawl", and I wonder why I've not seen much mention of it from other people.
Wizzard
I like these stories. Some of them I really like. Others I like pretty well. It is cool to see how conjure is described in various places, spaces, and times. A book chock full of interesting characters.
Red
i am slow in reading this. though it came highly recommended, something about it is not my speed. there are however quite a few colloquialisms- which are interesting.
Sumayyah
Loved it. The only thing is, the whole time I was reading, that old blues song was running through my head. "I got my mojo workin'", is it?
tmll
Read this if only for Andy Duncan's short story entitled, "Daddy Mention".
Indigo Moon
Very Interesting, a good read if you have a open mind.
Seven
This is in my collections
Victoria Law
Victoria Law marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Adriane
Adriane marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Tinderbones
Tinderbones marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Natasha P
Natasha P marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
TIFFANY L ORR
TIFFANY L ORR marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Priestess of Hearts
Priestess of Hearts marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Taneka
Taneka marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Cassondra
Cassondra marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
  • New Orleans Noir
  • Long Hidden: Speculative Fiction from the Margins of History
  • Avengers of the New World: The Story of the Haitian Revolution
  • Trouble on Triton: An Ambiguous Heterotopia
Nalo Hopkinson is a Jamaican-born writer and editor who lives in Canada. Her science fiction and fantasy novels and short stories often draw on Caribbean history and language, and its traditions of oral and written storytelling.

More about Nalo Hopkinson...
Brown Girl in the Ring Midnight Robber The Salt Roads Sister Mine The New Moon's Arms