Start by marking “Driftwood Valley: A Woman Naturalist in the Northern Wilderness” as Want to Read:
Driftwood Valley: A Woman Naturalist in the Northern Wilderness

Driftwood Valley: A Woman Naturalist in the Northern Wilderness

A pioneering woman naturalist recounts a magnificent story of adventure and survival in northern British Columbia. Winner of the John Burroughs Medal for excellence in nature writing, the book reveals the daily pleasures and insights sparked by living close to the wild, as well as the isolation, hardships, and struggles.
Published October 1st 1999 by Oregon State University Press (first published November 12th 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Driftwood Valley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Driftwood Valley

Alana
Apr 17, 2013 Alana rated it really liked it
What an interesting read!

This book was recommended to me by someone I was talking to about my hiking adventures with Shaun. When I looked it up and found that it was no longer in print, well, that only made me want to get my hands on a copy more! After a bit of a search I finally found a copy that wasn't way overpriced.

I immensely enjoyed reading about Teddy & J's life living in the northern B.C Wilderness. Any book about B.C. is going to be awesome, but I was especially impressed by the des
Matt Amott
wow! this book is incredible! for me it was the perfect time to read it, as i was leaving one city for a destination unknown. taken from teddy's journal as her and her husband explore the most northern canada at a time when women were not given much chance to explore other options besides home maker. dealing with isolation, local indians and the weather and building their world around them from all that nature had to offer were some of the challenges and rewards. and it reads like a real modern ...more
Kate
Feb 01, 2015 Kate rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most unique and interesting books I have ever read. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the author grew up a few miles from where I grew up in Northeast PA and that her conservation efforts allowed me to enjoy some of the same places that she did. Her descriptions of the Northern wilderness and the animals that she found there have stirred my curiosity to explore and learn more. The back of my book includes a bibliography and I'm glad it does.
Jennifer Trunkey
I can only imagine taking on this kind of adventure. What an amazing tale of two years spent in Northern B.C: living off the land, collecting samples for the natural history museum, traveling where hardly any white people (let alone a woman) had gone. Really an amazing book. She does such a good job of describing the conditions; I felt the bitter cold when I was reading it, and could practically hear the heinous plague of mosquitoes. I think that this should be required reading for everyone.
Jeni Berkebile
Jul 20, 2016 Jeni Berkebile rated it it was amazing
Exceptional book. Thoroughly enjoyed the story of their lives in the wilderness. Another reviewer's comment about the way they treated animals... we can't comprehend such behavior as times are so different today. Then, that behavior was normal. I highly recommend this book.
Eric
Jul 27, 2011 Eric rated it it was amazing
really special book. loved it so much. a little known classic that i wish i still owned so i could peruse again.
Shelly O'grady
Nov 04, 2009 Shelly O'grady rated it it was amazing
what would Teddy think of me if she heard me complaining about "how cold it is in this 40 degree temp. living room"? I mean really, she'd probably poke my eyes out.
Theodora is my new role model!
Wael
Wael rated it liked it
May 11, 2015
Jenb0t
Jenb0t rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2010
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2012
Courtney Holden
Courtney Holden rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2013
Eric Simons
Eric Simons rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2013
Thomas Cotterill
Thomas Cotterill rated it really liked it
May 05, 2012
Marsha
Jul 20, 2016 Marsha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, favorites
amazing story of life in the wilderness of British Columbia.
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2015
Kristina
Kristina rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2015
Maryjo
Maryjo rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was ok
Nov 20, 2009
Marmot
Marmot rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2009
April
April rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2011
Frances Greenslade
Frances Greenslade rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2012
Rosalie Loewen
Rosalie Loewen rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
RD
RD rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Emanuella
Emanuella rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2010
Allan
Allan rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Sofie
Sofie rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2009
John
John marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2009
Kayla Mckinney
Kayla Mckinney marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2010
Lauralei
Lauralei marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2011
Claire
Claire is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2011
Sarah added it
May 17, 2011
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2012
Eva
Eva added it
Apr 04, 2012
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2012
Mike
Mike added it
Aug 16, 2012
Riko Stan
Riko Stan marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2012
Dave Morrissette
Dave Morrissette marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2012
Ruth Linka
Ruth Linka marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2012
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2013
Brianne Green
Brianne Green marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2013
Char
Char is currently reading it
May 06, 2013
Lindy
Lindy marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Ingrid
Ingrid marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
Ash
Ash marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2013
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2013
April Erdman
April Erdman marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014