Start by marking “Essential Cataloguing” as Want to Read:
Essential Cataloguing

Essential Cataloguing

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Mystified by main entry? Confused by corporate bodies? Can't tell a description from an access point? Then this is the book for you. Bowman covers descriptive cataloging and has designed this book as a simple companion to AACR2. He concentrates on the basic with a clear and informal approach. This book shows you that most items can be dealt with by using comparatively few ...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Facet Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Essential Cataloguing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential Cataloguing

(class reading for Cataloging and Classification I)

I actually only read about 2/3 of this book. It doesn't seem that we'll be using it for the rest of the semester so I don't know if I'll finish it.

I found this book really helpful because of all the different examples. It's also useful that the same examples (for the most part) are used throughout the book, so you can see how the concepts build on each other from one chapter to the next. I found myself referring to this book frequently when comp
I skimmed a lot of the technical data. But the introductory material, on the nature and importance of cataloguing, was informative and entertaining.
Comprehensive and truly essential reading for anyone learning about cataloguing. Written in a surprisingly accessible and humorous style, which I enjoyed more than I expected.
Made the AACR2 a lot easier to understand. A good comparison and I enjoyed the humor in the introduction and the style of writing.
An indispensable companion to AACR2. Clear, real-world examples, and a generous dose of humor to boot.
Feb 02, 2013 Leonie added it
An excellent book - I wonder if it will be rewritten for RDA?
learn basic catalog(u)ing from the adorably English.
Hannah marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
ярослав marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Cynthia C.
Cynthia C. marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Dkchalmers marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Julie added it
Aug 20, 2014 marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Taufiq marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Ncsd.1 added it
Feb 19, 2014
Jatomg marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Jessiqa marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Otto added it
Dec 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
John Bowman retired in September 2008 from University College London, and is now an Honorary Senior Research Fellow in the Department of Information Studies at UCL. He taught extensively on Cataloguing during his time as a lecturer at UCL.
More about J.H. Bowman...
Essential Dewey British Librarianship and Information Work, 2001-2005 British Librarianship and Information Work 2006-2010 Greek Printing Types in Britain in the Nineteenth Century: A Catalogue British Librarianship and Information Work, 1991-2000