Start by marking “Priceless: A Novel on the Edge of the World” as Want to Read:
Priceless: A Novel on the Edge of the World

Priceless: A Novel on the Edge of the World (On the Edge of the World #2)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  291 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Photojournalist Stuart Daniels has found purpose in life. After suffering the fallout of a tragic assignment, Daniels rediscovered his faith while helping a young African orphan. Now his photo work carries a greater mission: To educate people about social injustice happening around the world. Daniels next assignment carries him back overseas and into the heart of Russia. O ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by David C. Cook (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Priceless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Priceless

Michelle
I loved this book as much, if not more than Scared, Davis's first novel. Not trying to sound corny here, but I have to say that Davis's latest book is truly Priceless. The author's compassion for orphans resounds from every page. Anyone who reads Priceless will be stirred to hopefully rethink their priorities. It seems that the average person in a wealthy country such as the United States has no idea what really happens to many of the orphaned children in other countries, such as Russia. If unde ...more
Bethany
Great novel. Captures the true horror of the sex-trafficking industry in Russia in a way that is compelling though not lewd. It helps me understand the danger and the challenge of getting these girls to safety, and the tiny window that often exists to rescue them. It is a well-written story from beginning to end.

I liked that it highlights people who justify their participation before God (this perversion of truth is a side we fail to understand); I like that it captures the spiritual (and the s
K.L. Glanville
A friend gave me this book for Christmas...and it wrecked me. I knew a bit about human trafficking before reading this book, but had always thought, "I'm glad someone else is doing something about this. It's really important and needs to be addressed." But after reading this book, I now want to be one of those someones who does something about it. Be warned, this book will wreck you, in a forever good way.

It is also well written. Although you know the author is trying to convey a dark reality t
Sarah D
I could not have chosen a better time to read this book. Sex trafficking is something that has been covered in class and at my internship, and I have been finding that I am increasingly drawn to the efforts to stop sex trafficking as well as helping the girls who's lives are torn apart by this horrible practice.

I've read one other book by Tom Davis, and I actually thought this one was better. I connected to the story and felt myself drawn in by the plot as well as the overall theme of the book.
Cindy
Wow, just don't know how to express how this book moved me. Tears, Truth, Justice, Love, Compassion, Desire to do more for those caught in this evil trade. I love this book and Tom's other book Scared!
Victoria
This is the second book from the "Edge of the World" books by Tom Davis. I had really loved the first one, entitled Scared. Priceless was actually the first one I had wanted to read because of all the human trafficking books and research I've done over the years. This certainly depicted truly what happens around the world, including in Russia, with the many young trafficked women who are sent out of their country to many others around the world, and even nearby. Many young women from European co ...more
Scooping it Up
This book is probably closer to 3.5 for just writing. He is not bad, but I don't think his talent is anything special. That being said, the story he tells I think is incredibly important.

Hundreds of thousands of children and women are kidnapped or tricked into the sex slave trafficking every year. These women and children create the greatest revenue of any business in the world, more than drugs, oil, weapons, food, ANYTHING.

This novel sheds light on the subject. It sheds light on how one might
Josiah
Plot: A+
Writing: A
Vocabulary: B
Level: Intermediate
Rating: R (sex trafficking, kidnapping, abuse, demonic attacks, torture, rape, extortion, brothels, shoot-outs)
Worldview: Christianity vs. sinful people and spirits

This was an extremely difficult book to read, but well worth it; I recommend every adult read this book!! In novelized form the author takes us past the facts and statistics to the heart of the matter: the suffering of the innocent and the shame, lies, power, money, and greed that keep
Brenda
The plot: Stuart Daniels is a photojournalist who is visiting Russia on assignment for his job. While there, he is persuaded by a friend to help two young girls who are caught up in the sex slave industry. From there things snowball until he finds himself right in the middle of it all, helping a group who is working to free as many girls as possible from the nightmare they are living in.

Characters: I liked Stuart. He seemed not to be the "perfect" Christian man, as is sometimes portrayed in Chri
Elizabeth
Priceless is another book that took me into the heartrending world of human trafficking, this time into the cold streets and corners of Russia. Here the reader meets Marina a young girl who was left in a Russian orphanage by her Mother, and who by trickery has landed in the inhumane world of human trafficking, she is dragged from one place to another and used as a piece of human "merchandise" by men, even "men of God" and is drugged, beaten, and starved, the storyline follow's a photojournalist ...more
Nora St Laurent
I’m thankful to have received a review copy of this captivating, surreal, suspenseful book that could have been ripped out of today’s headlines. It was horrific to think the topic of this book is real and happening in current time. Although the story concentrates on the sex-trafficking business in Russia, this unthinkable industry is thriving world wide. Tom Davis states in his book Russian girls are taken and sent out of their country with promises of going to America, to enjoy the good life. O ...more
Leah Good
CAUTION: Not for readers under 18

Wow. Easily one of the hardest books I've ever read. Maybe even number one hardest. It's also easily one of the most powerful.

After his life changing experiences in Africa in Scared Stuart has turned into a family man. He loves his wife, dotes on his baby daughter, and works to spread awareness about the needs of orphans. When he accepts an assignment to Russia, he expects it to be easy. All that quickly changes when he signs into a hotel and is promptly asked if
Darren Sapp
Anger! It's the emotion that welled up inside of me on nearly every page. I temper it with Galatians 4:26-27. The injustice is staggering. This is fiction, but the disturbing fact is that the story of this book, sex trafficking and the exploitation of children including orphans, is truly happening everyday throughout the world. This book really consumed me. I have stayed at the Ismailovo Hotel and been offered the very services the author mentions in the book. I have taken the Metro to Red Squar ...more
Tara
Hmmm...what to say. First of all I didn't realize that this book was a sequel to Scared. I'll have to read that one too, though. Also, when I picked out the book from the library, somehow I missed the sentence on the back that the book was about the sex trade in Russia. I was hesitant to read it because I was afraid of the vivid details it might convey. As I started reading I was drawn in. I was captivated right from the start. It was very eye opening and tough to read given the subject matter. ...more
Matt Swaffer
Priceless: A Novel on the Edge of the World is a powerful story about a man whose life is changed when he becomes embroiled in a plan to rescue young orphan girls from forced prostitution in Russia. The author, Tom Davis, brings to light an enormous and growing problem in the world: human trafficking. While the story is a novel, much of the story is accurate in its depiction of this sordid underworld.

...read more at:
Julie
After reading "Boy from Baby House 10" and "Infinitely More", this was a welcome shift. Both of those are also about 1990-2010 era Russian orphanages, but are told by the adult orphans themselves and are often not the most engaging writing. They're not bad, just clearly written for a purpose that leaves entertainment as a side effect. While this one is also a tough topic and doesn't minimize the very difficult content, it's a little more engrossing as a read.
Zacksmom Okon
I have to agree with the last line of the book (from the publisher) "This novel is a timely reminder of the incredible worth of a person's life." I began reading this book based on my SIL's recommendation (as she is involved in the ministry of orphaned Russian children). WOW - a real eye opener, and opens a whole new realm of respect for my Brother and Sister-in-Law! Highly recommended reading to all compassionate adults! (pssst - grab your tissues)
Jaime Townzen
This book was intense and wonderful. Sad but true how many children age-out of orphanages and with no other options and no one concerned for their welfare, their life becomes one of slavery to the desires of others. Although this is a fictional book, it reads like a personal account of an experience by one man caught in the middle of a terrible situation, in modern day Russia rescuing a young girl from the grip of her priest pimp.
Garnet
The brutality pictured in the book is beyond my imagination.
But I do know people who are working (as Katya in the book does) to help young girls escape. Lauren Bethel was working to free young girls in Thailand back in the 1980s. The New Life Center in Chaing Mai has received awards for their work against human trafficking. If you want to help I'm pretty sure you could google her name or the center and find a way to give donations.
Heidi
Set in modern-day Russia, this novel shows a brief glimpse of the underbelly of the sex slave industry and the people fighting to free girls who have been given no choice in their life circumstances. It was more moving than I thought it would be, and so frightening to know this still happens while we sit in our comfortable living rooms and churches. While the writing wasn't phenomenal, it told a raw story of a sick industry.
J
I purchased this book on my Kindle and had it read to me on a 7 hour drive. The time just flew by as I was wrapped up in this story. I just love how the story put ME into these tense situations and made me wonder just how to act. This story provides an excellent gut check to consider what I would really do in these situations. It moved me to grow even closer to God, that I might act to valiantly to save lives.
Clarice James
Tom's novels are based on his real life experiences which does two things: 1)Make you believe him; and 2) makes the story less believable. Does that make sense? It's just that so much of it is true that it doesn't always make for the best fiction. I could almost see the line between reality and fiction. Yet, it's worth the read. A powerful story, maybe more so in a non-fiction book.
Elizabeth
The sequel to Scared, it follows the main character to Russia where he tries to help his friends save some girls trapped in the sex slave industry. What it lacks in literary quality is made up by the spotlight it shines on the tortuous life led by girls enslaved by the sin of others. May stories like these spur us on to follow Christ wherever He leads us to help others in need.
Tanya
So what I liked about this book is that while it is "Christian fiction," I could really relate to the main character. His faith is not "cookie cutter" and he did not have a "Black and White" change when he became a Christian. It was more gradual and a result of his struggles, which I can relate to. Not a "light vacation read," but it has an important message, nevertheless.
Carole
Tom Davis did an excellent job of providing insight into sex trade trafficking while also touching the reader emotionally.
I highly recommend this book. Just know that when you read it, you will be awakened to a problem that is not only in Russia, but in your neighborhood.
This is definitely a call to action that begins with awareness of the enormity of the industry.
Andrea Lublink
This book was emotionally exhausting. At times I wanted to weep and then scream in anger. Reading a story about children being sold into sex slavery is something that doesn't leave you. I'm sure this author based some parts on real-life stories. The best part was about their rescue and how the Lord's redeeming love healed their brokenness.
Michelle Butlig
Really powerful book, brings you to great anger and sadness about true evil in the world. It is about the trafficking industry, specifically in Russia. And while 80% of the book is true it is hard to read and yet hard to put down. The pain these girls go through is so true and real. Very detailed, vivid accounts.
Carolyn
Excellent emotional but very real account of the plight of orphans in Russia. Having been there several times myself with the author's organization, I identified with these girls and was beside them on their journey. Heart-wrenching, but eye-opening novel that explores the world of good and evil and how they cross paths.
Heather Clements
This was such a remarkable book that I ended up reading it in one night! I could not put this book down, and really had to keep reminding myself that is was not real. Tom Davis really captured the heart wrenching issue of sex-trafficing, but without the hideous details. However, his writing leaves you just heartbroken.
Bethchurchill
I downloaded a free copy on my Kindle. I had no idea what I was getting and I have to say this novel was amazing. I was in tears most of the book. To even think there are young girls with no hope living this kind of nightmare, is almost beyond belief. If you want your thoughts and world to be torn apart, read this book.
  • Passport through Darkness: A True Story of Danger and Second Chances
  • Orphan Justice: How to Care for Orphans Beyond Adopting
  • Too Small to Ignore: Why Children Are the Next Big Thing
  • Terrify No More: Young Girls Held Captive and the Daring Undercover Operation to Win Their Freedom
  • Screen Play: A Novel
  • Sifted: God's Scandalous Response to Satan's Outrageous Demand
  • Hell Is Real (But I Hate to Admit It)
  • Secret Believers: What Happens When Muslims Believe in Christ
  • Blood Ransom
  • It's Your Call: What Are You Doing Here?
  • God Knows My Name: Never Forgotten, Forever Loved
  • Heidi (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Saving Levi: Left to Die, Destined to Live
  • No Longer a Slumdog: Bringing Hope to Children in Crisis
  • Seeing through the Fog: Hope When Your World Falls Apart
  • The Meeting of the Waters: 7 Global Currents That Will Propel the Future Church
  • Operation Bonnet
  • Discover the Mystery of Faith: How Worship Shapes Believing
Scared: A Novel on the Edge of the World Red Letters: Living a Faith That Bleeds Thirty-Nine Years of Short-Term Memory Loss: The Early Days of SNL from Someone Who Was There Why Dogs Do That: A Collection of Curious Canine Behaviors Why Goldens Do That: A Collection of Curious Golden Retriever Behaviors