Start by marking “Priceless (On the Edge of the World #2)” as Want to Read:
Priceless (On the Edge of the World #2)

Priceless (On the Edge of the World #2)

Photojournalist Stuart Daniels has found purpose in life. After suffering the fallout of a tragic assignment, Daniels rediscovered his faith while helping a young African orphan. Now his photo work carries a greater mission: To educate people about social injustice happening around the world.

Daniels next assignment carries him back overseas and into the heart of Russia. On
Published June 1st 2010 by David C. Cook (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Priceless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Priceless

Michelle
I loved this book as much, if not more than Scared, Davis's first novel. Not trying to sound corny here, but I have to say that Davis's latest book is truly Priceless. The author's compassion for orphans resounds from every page. Anyone who reads Priceless will be stirred to hopefully rethink their priorities. It seems that the average person in a wealthy country such as the United States has no idea what really happens to many of the orphaned children in other countries, such as Russia. If unde ...more
Bethany
Jun 17, 2013 Bethany rated it it was amazing
Great novel. Captures the true horror of the sex-trafficking industry in Russia in a way that is compelling though not lewd. It helps me understand the danger and the challenge of getting these girls to safety, and the tiny window that often exists to rescue them. It is a well-written story from beginning to end.

I liked that it highlights people who justify their participation before God (this perversion of truth is a side we fail to understand); I like that it captures the spiritual (and the s
K.L. Glanville
Jan 30, 2013 K.L. Glanville rated it it was amazing
A friend gave me this book for Christmas...and it wrecked me. I knew a bit about human trafficking before reading this book, but had always thought, "I'm glad someone else is doing something about this. It's really important and needs to be addressed." But after reading this book, I now want to be one of those someones who does something about it. Be warned, this book will wreck you, in a forever good way.

It is also well written. Although you know the author is trying to convey a dark reality t
Cindy
May 31, 2010 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, finished
Wow, just don't know how to express how this book moved me. Tears, Truth, Justice, Love, Compassion, Desire to do more for those caught in this evil trade. I love this book and Tom's other book Scared!
C.J. Darlington
A hauntingly disturbing novel that will open your eyes. Parachutes you into Russia and the realities of the sex slave industry for thousands of orphaned girls. It's hard to read it and not be impacted. Kudos to Mr. Davis for daring to write something like this.
Nicole
Feb 13, 2017 Nicole rated it really liked it
Priceless is the second in the On the Edge of the World series. This one deals with sex trafficking in Russia. Although I had some issues with the theology that was present in the book, I still found it to be an enthralling and an important read.
Nora St Laurent
Jul 23, 2010 Nora St Laurent rated it it was amazing
I’m thankful to have received a review copy of this captivating, surreal, suspenseful book that could have been ripped out of today’s headlines. It was horrific to think the topic of this book is real and happening in current time. Although the story concentrates on the sex-trafficking business in Russia, this unthinkable industry is thriving world wide. Tom Davis states in his book Russian girls are taken and sent out of their country with promises of going to America, to enjoy the good life. O ...more
Victoria
This is the second book from the "Edge of the World" books by Tom Davis. I had really loved the first one, entitled Scared. Priceless was actually the first one I had wanted to read because of all the human trafficking books and research I've done over the years. This certainly depicted truly what happens around the world, including in Russia, with the many young trafficked women who are sent out of their country to many others around the world, and even nearby. Many young women from European co ...more
Brenda
Jul 27, 2010 Brenda rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The plot: Stuart Daniels is a photojournalist who is visiting Russia on assignment for his job. While there, he is persuaded by a friend to help two young girls who are caught up in the sex slave industry. From there things snowball until he finds himself right in the middle of it all, helping a group who is working to free as many girls as possible from the nightmare they are living in.

Characters: I liked Stuart. He seemed not to be the "perfect" Christian man, as is sometimes portrayed in Chri
Leah Good
CAUTION: Not for readers under 18

Wow. Easily one of the hardest books I've ever read. Maybe even number one hardest. It's also easily one of the most powerful.

After his life changing experiences in Africa in Scared Stuart has turned into a family man. He loves his wife, dotes on his baby daughter, and works to spread awareness about the needs of orphans. When he accepts an assignment to Russia, he expects it to be easy. All that quickly changes when he signs into a hotel and is promptly asked if
Scooping it Up
Aug 07, 2010 Scooping it Up rated it liked it
This book is probably closer to 3.5 for just writing. He is not bad, but I don't think his talent is anything special. That being said, the story he tells I think is incredibly important.

Hundreds of thousands of children and women are kidnapped or tricked into the sex slave trafficking every year. These women and children create the greatest revenue of any business in the world, more than drugs, oil, weapons, food, ANYTHING.

This novel sheds light on the subject. It sheds light on how one might
Josiah
Plot: A+
Writing: A
Vocabulary: B
Level: Intermediate
Rating: R (sex trafficking, kidnapping, abuse, demonic attacks, torture, rape, extortion, brothels, shoot-outs)
Worldview: Christianity vs. sinful people and spirits

This was an extremely difficult book to read, but well worth it; I recommend every adult read this book!! In novelized form the author takes us past the facts and statistics to the heart of the matter: the suffering of the innocent and the shame, lies, power, money, and greed that keep
Elizabeth
May 07, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Priceless is another book that took me into the heartrending world of human trafficking, this time into the cold streets and corners of Russia. Here the reader meets Marina a young girl who was left in a Russian orphanage by her Mother, and who by trickery has landed in the inhumane world of human trafficking, she is dragged from one place to another and used as a piece of human "merchandise" by men, even "men of God" and is drugged, beaten, and starved, the storyline follow's a photojournalist ...more
Apr 18, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
I could not have chosen a better time to read this book. Sex trafficking is something that has been covered in class and at my internship, and I have been finding that I am increasingly drawn to the efforts to stop sex trafficking as well as helping the girls who's lives are torn apart by this horrible practice.

I've read one other book by Tom Davis, and I actually thought this one was better. I connected to the story and felt myself drawn in by the plot as well as the overall theme of the book.
Darren Sapp
Apr 01, 2013 Darren Sapp rated it it was amazing
Anger! It's the emotion that welled up inside of me on nearly every page. I temper it with Galatians 4:26-27. The injustice is staggering. This is fiction, but the disturbing fact is that the story of this book, sex trafficking and the exploitation of children including orphans, is truly happening everyday throughout the world. This book really consumed me. I have stayed at the Ismailovo Hotel and been offered the very services the author mentions in the book. I have taken the Metro to Red Squar ...more
Tara
Dec 20, 2010 Tara rated it really liked it
Hmmm...what to say. First of all I didn't realize that this book was a sequel to Scared. I'll have to read that one too, though. Also, when I picked out the book from the library, somehow I missed the sentence on the back that the book was about the sex trade in Russia. I was hesitant to read it because I was afraid of the vivid details it might convey. As I started reading I was drawn in. I was captivated right from the start. It was very eye opening and tough to read given the subject matter. ...more
Matt Swaffer
Aug 23, 2010 Matt Swaffer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual, fiction
Priceless: A Novel on the Edge of the World is a powerful story about a man whose life is changed when he becomes embroiled in a plan to rescue young orphan girls from forced prostitution in Russia. The author, Tom Davis, brings to light an enormous and growing problem in the world: human trafficking. While the story is a novel, much of the story is accurate in its depiction of this sordid underworld.

...read more at:
Zacksmom Okon
Apr 26, 2011 Zacksmom Okon rated it it was amazing
I have to agree with the last line of the book (from the publisher) "This novel is a timely reminder of the incredible worth of a person's life." I began reading this book based on my SIL's recommendation (as she is involved in the ministry of orphaned Russian children). WOW - a real eye opener, and opens a whole new realm of respect for my Brother and Sister-in-Law! Highly recommended reading to all compassionate adults! (pssst - grab your tissues)
Jessica Lynn
Oct 29, 2015 Jessica Lynn rated it liked it
This is a difficult book to recommend as the material covered is hard to hear. Human trafficking is covered in a very up close and personal way in this book and if you are bothered by these truths, I would not recommend this reading. If that bother though spurs you to act as you can regarding this reality, it would be worth the read. The reality it presents is necessary for those who may be sheltered from it in everyday life to realize it is a real part of life for many.
Julie
Oct 28, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
After reading "Boy from Baby House 10" and "Infinitely More", this was a welcome shift. Both of those are also about 1990-2010 era Russian orphanages, but are told by the adult orphans themselves and are often not the most engaging writing. They're not bad, just clearly written for a purpose that leaves entertainment as a side effect. While this one is also a tough topic and doesn't minimize the very difficult content, it's a little more engrossing as a read.
Heidi
Jan 15, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it
Set in modern-day Russia, this novel shows a brief glimpse of the underbelly of the sex slave industry and the people fighting to free girls who have been given no choice in their life circumstances. It was more moving than I thought it would be, and so frightening to know this still happens while we sit in our comfortable living rooms and churches. While the writing wasn't phenomenal, it told a raw story of a sick industry.
J
Oct 02, 2010 J rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book on my Kindle and had it read to me on a 7 hour drive. The time just flew by as I was wrapped up in this story. I just love how the story put ME into these tense situations and made me wonder just how to act. This story provides an excellent gut check to consider what I would really do in these situations. It moved me to grow even closer to God, that I might act to valiantly to save lives.
Darice Jamison
May 25, 2015 Darice Jamison rated it it was amazing
This is a powerful book that exposes the harsh realities of sexual slavery and spiritual warfare in today's world. I say this world, because while this book focuses on the horrors in Russia and reflects Eastern European problems; sadly, this is a problem rampant in the U.S. as well. This book, while entertaining fiction with action and adventure, is based on true events. It is very informative and more importantly a call for attention and help! Please read this book!
Jaime Townzen
Jul 08, 2014 Jaime Townzen rated it it was amazing
This book was intense and wonderful. Sad but true how many children age-out of orphanages and with no other options and no one concerned for their welfare, their life becomes one of slavery to the desires of others. Although this is a fictional book, it reads like a personal account of an experience by one man caught in the middle of a terrible situation, in modern day Russia rescuing a young girl from the grip of her priest pimp.
Garnet
Apr 26, 2013 Garnet rated it it was amazing
The brutality pictured in the book is beyond my imagination.
But I do know people who are working (as Katya in the book does) to help young girls escape. Lauren Bethel was working to free young girls in Thailand back in the 1980s. The New Life Center in Chaing Mai has received awards for their work against human trafficking. If you want to help I'm pretty sure you could google her name or the center and find a way to give donations.
Andrea Lublink
Jan 21, 2011 Andrea Lublink rated it it was amazing
This book was emotionally exhausting. At times I wanted to weep and then scream in anger. Reading a story about children being sold into sex slavery is something that doesn't leave you. I'm sure this author based some parts on real-life stories. The best part was about their rescue and how the Lord's redeeming love healed their brokenness.
Michelle Butlig
Apr 19, 2013 Michelle Butlig rated it really liked it
Really powerful book, brings you to great anger and sadness about true evil in the world. It is about the trafficking industry, specifically in Russia. And while 80% of the book is true it is hard to read and yet hard to put down. The pain these girls go through is so true and real. Very detailed, vivid accounts.
Carolyn
Apr 14, 2013 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
Excellent emotional but very real account of the plight of orphans in Russia. Having been there several times myself with the author's organization, I identified with these girls and was beside them on their journey. Heart-wrenching, but eye-opening novel that explores the world of good and evil and how they cross paths.
Raechel
Oct 31, 2013 Raechel rated it it was amazing
Wow. I am still mulling over it all. This is fiction, but really does bring awareness about child-trafficking/forced prostitution. It had me crying, angry, and so relieved at the end. It rended my heart. I do warn, it is not a light fluffy book in the least. It deals with real issues. But is very very powerful.
Helen
Jun 10, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it
I don't usually read novels, but was curious about this after hearing about the author at a recent conference. Whilst I wouldn't call it gripping, it definitely drew me in and left me asking greater questions about how our society allows the trafficking of humans to continue and what is my response.
  • Passport through Darkness: A True Story of Danger and Second Chances
  • Screen Play
  • Too Small to Ignore: Why Children Are the Next Big Thing
  • Terrify No More: Young Girls Held Captive and the Daring Undercover Operation to Win Their Freedom
  • Blood Ransom (Mission Hope)
  • True Religion: Taking Pieces of Heaven to Places of Hell on Earth
  • Saving Levi: Left to Die, Destined to Live
  • Seeing through the Fog: Hope When Your World Falls Apart
  • Orphan Justice: How to Care for Orphans Beyond Adopting
  • Hell Is Real (But I Hate to Admit It)
  • Mad Dog (Starlight Animal Rescue, #2)
  • Fields of the Fatherless: Discover the Joy of Compassionate Living
  • Lucky: How the Kingdom Comes to Unlikely People
  • It's Your Call: What Are You Doing Here?
  • John G. Paton: Missionary to the New Hebrides
  • The Meeting of the Waters: 7 Global Currents That Will Propel the Future Church
  • Caught Off Guard: Encounters with the Unexpected God
  • Dark in the City of Light

Tom Davis is an author, consultant, and the president of Children's HopeChest ( www.hopechest.org) a Christian-based child advocacy organization helping orphans in Eastern Europe and Africa. Tom holds a Business and Pastoral Ministry degree from Dallas Baptist University and a master's degree in Theology from Th
More about Tom Davis...

On the Edge of the World (2 books)
  • Scared (On the Edge of the World #1)