Start by marking “A Matter of Character (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Matter of Character (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #3)

A Matter of Character (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs #3)

The Sisters of Bethlehem Springs series delivers exactly what readers have been waiting for—smart, confident women who are not afraid to defy convention, live their own dreams, and share their lives if the right man comes along. In A Matter of Character, book three in the Sisters of Bethlehem Springs series, it's 1918, and Daphne McKinley, heiress to a small fortune, has ...more
Published May 23rd 2010 by Zondervan (first published May 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Matter of Character, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Matter of Character

Casey
May 27, 2010 Casey rated it really liked it
A novel about a novelist. A fun story premise.

Daphne McKinley writes under a pseudonym and her dime novels are getting some upset feedback from a man claiming she is defaming the name of his grandfather.

Being a writer myself, I enjoyed this novel about a woman in the 20th century, trying to make her way in the world of dime novels. Her determination and love for writing makes her unique in the multitude of books I have read this year.

Her relationship with the hero quickly grows from his anger w
Carly
May 17, 2010 Carly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-favorites
There are few books that I would actually like to read again and even fewer series I would like to read again, but the Sisters of Bethlehem Springs series is one I would like to pick up again. This series started strong with A Vote of Confidence and ended even stronger with A Matter of Character. The only bad thing is, now this series is over. I loved getting to know Daphne in this book. Her character is the one I was able to relate to the most and I enjoyed her the most.

I was so conflicted whi
Ginnie
Jan 11, 2011 Ginnie rated it it was ok
This book had a catching plot on the back, and when I picked it up, I was in suspense right away. But then, about 70 pages into the story, the plot started to really drag and by the time I was on page 128, I didn't want to finish it. I skimmed to the end and that was it.

Reasons I liked it:
-It was about an author.
-There was a thrilling begining.
-There was a promising romance.

Reasons I didn't like it:
-The romance was to fickle between obsessing about each others looks in their heads and want to ki
Nikole Hahn
Jun 06, 2010 Nikole Hahn rated it it was amazing
A Matter Of Character Review
Posted on May 26, 2010 by Nikole Hahn
The book opens introducing Joshua Crawford as he lambasted a fellow reporter for misreporting the facts about his grandfather. After punching him and getting fired, he decides to show them that his grandfather is not the same man as portrayed in a series of dime store novels called The McFarland Chronicles. The author is D.B. Morgan from Bethlehem Springs, Idaho.

Daphne Mckinley, an heiress who lives in Bethlehem Springs, cleverly
Molly (Cafinated Reads)
May 27, 2010 Molly (Cafinated Reads) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Molly (Cafinated Reads) by: Blog Tour Spot; CFBA
This is a perfectly sweet conclusion to the Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, though I didn't want it to end! Book 3 jumps into the story of Daphne, Cleo and Gwen's sister-in-law. And, as she has with all her previous books and is sure to do with her future stories, Robin Lee Hatcher shows her beautiful work of a blessedly seasoned author.

As with book 1 and 2, this book is full of family, humor, love and God's unending guidance. We see all the wonderfully created old characters of Daphne, Morgan, Gw
Clockstein Lockstein
May 30, 2010 Clockstein Lockstein rated it really liked it
A Matter of Character by Robin Lee Hatcher is the third and final book in the Sisters of Bethlehem Springs series. Daphne McKinley loves her life in 1918 Idaho. She lives independently while spending plenty of time with her brother and sister-in-law and their two adorable children, and she just happens to secretly write dime novels about the Old West, including a villain called Rawhide Rick who she based on a real man she's heard stories about. Joshua Crawford has come to Bethlehem Springs ...more
Faye
Nov 22, 2011 Faye rated it really liked it
Yet again, sparks fly and opposites attract in Bethlehem Springs, Idaho.

Daphne McKinley, a published dime novel authoress and wealthy heiress, fairly shines with spunk and a sometimes overactive imagination, both which make her utterly charming. Joshua Crawford is a newspaper reporter who has always looked up to his grandfather, who was a huge part of his life, growing up. So when he finds that a dime novel author has besmirched the good name of his beloved grandfather, he goes to Bethlehem Sp
Sara ♥
Jan 21, 2012 Sara ♥ rated it really liked it
This book is about Daphne, Morgan McKinley's little sister (hero from book 1).

Daphne is an heiress, but she's also secretly a dime store novelist (under the male pen name, D.B. Morgan), writing about a "nefarious villain" named Rawhide Rick. Nobody knows who she really is, including her publishers, who assume she's a man.

Newspaperman Joshua Crawford is Rawhide Rick's grandson. Except the grandfather who raised him was NOTHING like the bad guy in the books. (view spoiler)
Michelle
A Matter of Character was a fabulous conclusion to an endearing series. In fact, it's my favorite book of the three. I really appreciate how all of Robin's books in this series were set in Idaho and that they all focused on women with unique situations. It was fun getting to know Daphne. Her personality was perfect for an author, and her discovery of true love was beautiful. I thought it was neat how she realized that while she wrote about falling in love, until she experienced it herself, she ...more
Cindy
May 24, 2010 Cindy rated it really liked it
Set in 1918, A Matter of Character is the last book in the Sisters of Bethlehem Spring series. A while it is a part of a series it easily stands alone, I had not read either of the two previous books, and had no trouble following this story.

Daphne McKinnely is a heiress to a large fortune, and yet she has chosen to live in small town in Idaho, where her friends wonder why in the world she is there in the middle of nowhere. But Daphne has a secret identity, and the small town is the perfect plac
Deborah Malone
Jun 03, 2010 Deborah Malone rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed getting to know the main character Daphne McKinley. Being an author she was a woman after my own heart. However, she writes dime novels, which were looked upon as frivolous writing - not to be taken seriously. The nemesis in her books is loosely based on a character named Rawhide Rick. Because Daphne comes from a family of wealth she does not want anyone to know what she does in her spare time. So she holds this secret close to her heart.

Joshua Crawford finds out that the books
Lucy Bilik
Mar 01, 2011 Lucy Bilik rated it it was amazing
A Matter of Character by Robin Lee Hatcher is the third in trilogy of Sisters of Bethlehem Springs series. Daphne McKinley born to privilege and loves her independent life in 1918 Idaho. She enjoys her life in small town yet secretly writes dime novels under pseudonym about the Old West about a villain called Rawhide Rick who she based on a real man she's heard stories about. Joshua Crawford has come to Bethlehem Springs seeking the author D.B. Morgan who has written series of stories about his ...more
Cafelilybookreviews
May 26, 2010 Cafelilybookreviews rated it liked it

Heiress, Daphne McKinley, loves creating adventure and satisfies her cravings to write by penning dime novels under a pseudonym. However, her hobby gets her into trouble when a real life relative of one of her book characters arrives in town to set the record straight.

Joshua Crawford is determined to find “D.B. Morgan” and make the author pay for defaming his grandfather’s good name. Imagine Joshua’s surprise when he finds out that D. B. Morgan is not a man – but the beautiful Daphne McKinley!

R
Amber Stokes
Jan 15, 2016 Amber Stokes rated it really liked it
A Matter of Character is a sweet, fun, and meaningful conclusion to "The Sisters of Bethlehem Springs" series. As much as I loved Fit to Be Tied (the second book in the series), I think this one just might be my favorite!

With a very relatable heroine, a conflicted hero to make your tummy flutter, and some interesting plot twists, this book turned out to be a quick and satisfying read. Hatcher is very adept at her craft, as shown by the fluidity of her words and scenes. Plus, I just love how the
Ellen
Mar 21, 2012 Ellen rated it it was amazing
The sisters of Bethlehem Springs... we had Gwen's story and Cleo's story. Who was left to round out the trilogy? I had to laugh at myself when I realized that there was another sister (in-law!) left in Daphne McKinley. Perhaps it should have been obvious, but like that pleasant realization, A Matter of Character managed to surprise me in similar ways throughout the book. I enjoyed Daphne's love of writing and felt Joshua to be a great match for her all the way through the book. Even though I ...more
Dora Wagner
Sep 13, 2015 Dora Wagner rated it really liked it
Great ending to the series.

Daphne is keeping a secret. A secret that she doesn't tell even her family. She writes dime novels. Joshua Crawford is a journalist. He has learned that a certain dime novelist has used his grandfather as the villain in a series of novels. Joshua believing that his grandfather's good name is being ruined, travels to Bethlehem Springs to confront the author. What happens when he discovers that the man he wishes to confront is a woman?

A great wrap up to the series. Rich
Sherri
Mar 09, 2011 Sherri rated it liked it
Joshua Crawford comes to Bethlehem Springs, ID to find D.B. Morgan who authors dime store novels about his grandfather. Little does he know that it's the beautiful heiress Daphne Morgan....drama and romance ensue.

One thing I didn't quite get is that there were letters written thoughout the book of his grandfather and then Joshua is writing letters back home. It seemed confusing and I wish the back story could have been told in a different way. By time I figured it out, it became more of an inter
Tina at Mommynificent
Jun 26, 2015 Tina at Mommynificent rated it really liked it
This was a really fun story and a nice conclusion to the trilogy. My only complaint was that the entries from the grandfather's diary made the story feel a bit disjointed. I wished that one of the characters had actually been reading the diary so that it would have been tied into the story better. That said, I still really enjoyed the book. The characters were fun, and I appreciated the message of redemption and transformation. This was a good reminder of what it means to be a new creation in ...more
April Suter
Aug 13, 2012 April Suter rated it really liked it
Daphne has a secret and Joshua comes to Bethlehem Springs, Idaho to work at the newspaper and find the truth about his grandfather, which is related to Daphne's writing. Daphne has watched Gwen and Cleo find their loves and wonders if she has the patience to wait for God's timing. A good short novel to read about how someone becomes a member of God's, past sins forgiven and how to work each day to be a child God will be proud of.
Rosemary Markham
Sep 16, 2015 Rosemary Markham rated it really liked it
This trilogy includes the books, "A Vote of Confidence," "Fit to be Tied," and "A Matter of Character." The series is about two sisters and a sister-in-law, Gwen, Cleo, and Daphne, that are all very different from each other but are very close.
Each book tells one of the sister's story that takes place in Bethlehem Springs, Idaho. It is easy reading and I enjoyed it very much.

This is Daphne's story.
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Jul 04, 2010 Tressa (Wishful Endings) rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
I really enjoyed this book. It was probably the best of the series. Daphne secretly writes dime novels under another name, but doesn't think anything about using some real names and facts in her books. However, this changes when the grandson of the villain of her stories shows up in town to confront the author. Of course you can tell what will happen next, but it was still fun to read.
Annette
Jan 14, 2013 Annette rated it it was amazing
Dauphne was a delightful character. It was fun to hear this author writing about a girl who wanted to write "dime-store novels". Joshua and Dauphne's romance was very sweet as was all the Bethlehem Springs girls. I enjoyed this series very much. I look forward to reading more of Hatcher's work.
Cherie Kasper
Jul 17, 2014 Cherie Kasper rated it it was amazing
Joshua Crawford comes to town to right a wrong against his grandfather. What he does is hit himself right between his eyes when Daphane McKinley (a sister to Morgan from the first book in the series)walks into his life. You will love the romance with the combination of faith and stubbornness. Loved all 3 books in this series.
Shantelle
A sweet, captivating end to a series, A Matter of Character never seemed to have a dull moment. I thoroughly enjoyed Daphne's story, wrapped in intrigue and mystery, :) Daphne is sister to Morgan, who married the character of the first book. Lovely, lively tale, with a series note to make you think. I recommend! :)
Kathleen Friesen
Mar 18, 2014 Kathleen Friesen rated it really liked it
A Matter of Character intrigued me from the very beginning. An author who wants to remain anonymous, a hero who wants to find the author, and a heartwarming resolution. This was my discovery of Robin Lee Hatcher's writing, and it made me want to read more of her work.
Elena
Oct 26, 2010 Elena rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
I started to read it as I found an idea of this book could develop an interesting plot. However in the middle of book it became so plain and predictable that I had to forced myself to finish it.
This author have a few brilliant book, but this one not one of them.
Candace
Mar 09, 2013 Candace rated it liked it
This was nice. I was frustrated at one point with Joshua's pigheadedness and temper but he redeemed himself. The characters were great and I think I might actually enjoy the first two books of the series more than this one
Megan
Aug 22, 2013 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: series
Took me a little time to get into it. Once I got going it wasn't too bad. The journal entries were different but sometimes they interrupted the flow. Overall good story with fairly predictable ending. Would have liked a little more epilogue, especially this being the end of the series.
Sylviastewart1
Aug 12, 2011 Sylviastewart1 rated it it was amazing
It is a very sweet love story, set in the beautiful Idaho landscape. The heroine is a self-reliant, independent young woman -- in a day when women were expected to rely on a man and definitely be dependent. She has a secret. He has a secret. When will each tell the other.
Robin Lee Hatcher
Dec 17, 2015 Robin Lee Hatcher rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: audiobooks-i-own
The Sisters of Bethlehem Springs was a delightful series to write. I had such fun telling these stories.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 May 26, 2015 01:06PM
  • The Ride of Her Life (Lake Manawa Summers, #3)
  • The Bride Wore Blue (The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek, #3)
  • Love by the Book (Ladies of Summerhill, #3)
  • Walker's Wedding (The Western Sky Series, #3)
  • Within My Heart (Timber Ridge Reflections, #3)
  • Second Chance Brides (Texas Boardinghouse Brides, #2)
  • Courting Miss Amsel (Heart of the Prairie #6)
  • Wings of a Dream
  • Beyond All Measure (Hickory Ridge, #1)
  • Hope Rekindled (Striking a Match, #3)
  • Love Finds You in Groom, Texas
  • Love on the Line
  • The Inconvenient Marriage of Charlotte Beck (Women of the West,#3)
  • Bees in the Butterfly Garden (The Gilded Legacy, #1)
  • Valley of Dreams (Wild West Wind #1)
Robin Lee Hatcher discovered her vocation as a novelist after many years of reading everything she could put her hands on, including the backs of cereal boxes and ketchup bottles. Recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award from both American Christian Fiction Writers and Romance Writer of America and the winner of the Christy Award for Excellence in Christian Fiction, the RITA Award for Best ...more
More about Robin Lee Hatcher...

Sisters of Bethlehem Springs (3 books)
  • A Vote of Confidence (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #1)
  • Fit to Be Tied (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #2)

“At the end of oneself was the best place to discover the Lord at work.” 6 likes
“He would have to trust God for that, for he was helpless to do anything about it himself. His grandfather had said that was always the best place to be. At the end of oneself was the best place to discover the Lord at work.” 5 likes