Start by marking “Pemberley Manor” as Want to Read:
Pemberley Manor

Pemberley Manor

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  34 reviews

How does "happily ever after" really work?

With such different personalities, Darcy and Elizabeth surely need to work on their communication skills! Unlike Jane and Bingley, both of whom are easygoing and friendly, the Darcys are definitely a case where opposites attract.

Through their dramatic courtship, Lizzy finally saw through Darcy's rigid pride and sense of duty, a

Published April 1st 2009 by Sourcebooks, Incorporated (first published December 10th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Pemberley Manor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pemberley Manor

Maureen M
Written by a friend of ours in the Longfellow neighborhood. She was nominated for an award by a Jane Austen society and went to England for the awards ceremony. She didn't win, but she said she was pleased because it was properly Minnesotan to be proud to be nominated but then not to have one.
Gigi  Berrett
This was given to me by a friend. It was somewhat interesting. She did a good job imitating Jane Austen's writing style, but the story was ponderous and covered the same ground over and over.
Mirah W
There are so many 'sequels' to Pride and Prejudice that are so awful it makes me cringe. Thankfully, this one isn't one of those. While there are some 'hmm, that's odd' moments...I'll get to those later...the main body of this book is well done. The writing style is very similar to Jane Austen's and the dialogue seems to work. There's a bit more dialogue than typical Austen works, but that's ok, Nelson at least makes the characters sound like they are supposed to sound. And the banter between Da ...more
Kathy
Well, who could really match Jane Austen anyway? Gotta hand to to Nelson for audacity, and she doesn't write all that poorly, so we might look for a future, non fanfic sort of book. I couldn't help but read this...who doesn't want to hear more about Darcy and Elizabeth?--but the book doesn't come close to its model. And who would be surprised by that?

This is not Darcy as we know him (really, he is constantly sniveling). Lizzie fares a little better. The final plot twists are really..um, not true
Bookworm
I really enjoyed reading Pemberley Manor . One of the reasons why I liked this book is because Kathryn L. Nelson stays true to Austen's characters while inserting a few new characters into the storyline.

I found this to be an easy, fun read. I liked many things about this book. It was interesting to think of Darcy having that type of troubled past, and how Elizabeth, having come from a closer family, helps him overcome it and move on. I also like that Lizzy calls Darcy 'Will', short for Fitzwilli
Lisa Houlihan
You have got��to be kidding me. I was actually indifferent to this. Usually an Austen sequel is so bad by plot or writing or abuse of source that it's risable, but this one, despite its flaws, was just eh. That's not fair: I want my snark.

In Elizabeth's letter to Aunt Gardiner to tell her she's engaged, she says, "You must all come to Pemberley at Christmas." Violating the first principle of the Austen sequel, that it must be faithful to the text, this visit doesn't happen. Instead Elizabeth, Da
Tamara
I love Austen "sequels," but this one was disappointing. Darcy obviously hasn't learned enough to temper his prejudices, or how to read Elizabeth. He spends the majority of the book hurting Elizabeth emotionally, then getting all huffy because she gets upset and he doesn't understand why. Then he runs away for a few hours, finally realizes he's in the wrong and returns to tell Elizabeth how sorry he is that he's such a cad and he'll try to behave better next time. I really got sick of his snivel ...more
Hilary
This book was not bad for a sequel. There were a couple of things in the book that I didn't like. The author really gets off track in some instances in keeping with the original story. She brings in a character that is portrayed as homosexual which I felt was far from where Jane Austen would have gone. Adding a homosexual character felt even more out of place than the in-depth bedroom scenes you find in so many other sequels. Also, while we all enjoy a sensitive man, Mr. Darcy cried way too much ...more
Maria Elisabeth
I've given up trying to find a perfect Austen sequel. All are by necessity written from a vantage point of some two hundred years and nobody can copy Austen's wit anyways. Quibbles aside (and they bothered me much less than I thought they would) Pemberley Manor was an absorbing read. Darcy has some mommy problems; they make up most of the plot, which I enjoyed more than I thougt I would. Not perfect, but well-written, compelling book.
Sabrina
This book was different . . . I picked it because it promised turmoil in the Darcy marriage and I thought that would be more realistic than the ones that are "happily ever afters". This book certainly delivered, but it was way off the mark for my tastes. I had to remind myself that I wasn't reading a Jane Eyre sequel, but had it been, it would have been perfect for it. Actually, if this book had been a stand alone with unknown characters I would have loved it. I thought the struggle and growth t ...more
Laurie
The good: something of Austen's tone in bits of the dialogue and the more biting of the descriptions; captures the salient aspects of Elizabeth's character; plot isn't completely beyond the realm of belief as often is the case.

The meh: far too much melodrama; pacing drags a bit in places; too many sappy conversations between the principals; Georgiana's rapid-fire courtship.

The bad: characterization of Darcy. The family backstory created for him was plausible enough but I just can't buy that he's
Jeanah
It has some interesting moments. This continuation makes Darcy far more complex and in some ways the darkness of his past is a bit much. Sometimes Darcy is an emotional wreck, which is not very attractive. I wanted him to just get over it and move on. However, if you are interested in something original, with a mixture of new characters and an emotionally troubled Darcy you may like this.
Dancer
This is one of my least favorite Jane Austen inspired books. Darcy is full of remorse and angst. His boyhood friend Trevor returns. In this one, Darcy thinks Trevor could be Georgiana's father. Then he thinks he has a relationship with Elizabeth. Darcy leaves Elizabeth alone while she loses their child. He fights the "ghosts" of Pemberley - basically his over sexed mother's memory. Finally, he learns Trevor couldn't be Georgiana's father because Trevor is a homosexual. Of course, everyone embrac ...more
Nicole
Pemberley Manor was well written, but a little too much emotional overload for me. I found myself annoyed and hoping it was almost over, not a good sign. Elizabeth is always laughing and Mr. Darcy is continually crying. Emotion is touching, but it was somewhat ridiculous. This book should only credit two stars, however, the author is a superb writer. I would read a second attempt from her and hope that her imagination and interpretation would be expressed more to my enjoyment.
Alexa
Solid 3 1/2 star book, but enough flaws to drag it down to 3. First, Col. Fitzwilliam is called James???? Um, no. His name is Richard. Second, Darcy cries too much. Third, kind of a slow section in the middle, but it picks up again at the end.

Fortunately it has some redeeming qualities as well. Very well written in terms of matching the tone of Austen's era. It's also an interesting idea for a story, a departure from the standard romance-fest that most P&P fanfics are.
Lauren
This was an excellent sequel to Pride and Prejudice. It was written in a similar enough style that I didn't think it was a totally impossible continuation. The story made sense and it picks up pretty much where P&P leaves off. Caroline Bingley is a bitch, Darcy is moody, Lizzy is thoughtful and intelligent with a huge heart, and Georgiana and Jane are faithful friends till the end. A wonderful sequel. Smooth read. I hope that I see more from this author.
Victoria
In some ways this story was a refreshing change from the typical P&P sequels. Elizabeth and Darcy's early married life isn't all rainbows & unicorns. There are plenty of quarrels, and I find that Elizabeth's characterization is fairly well done. Darcy, while improved from the overly affectionate Darcy often seen, does has room for improvement. His constant crying was rather off-putting. With that being said, it was a much better read than most offerings.
Janet
Sep 06, 2009 Janet rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Other Austenphiles
For those of us who love Pride and Prejudice, are always wondering what happens to Elizabeth and Darcy next, and are hopeless romantics, this the book. Nelson writes in Austen's style so much so it would be difficult to distinguish them. But alas, Darcy's strong character changes so much that he is no longer believeable, I don't think Austen would have permitted him to lose his identity so quickly.
Sharon
Another fabulous entry in the Austen canon. This author has a beautiful style, extremely reminiscent of Austen (perhaps a bit more spoken dialog). She is beautifully true to the original characters and introduces new characters and back-story seamlessly. A beautiful portrayal of the relationship between Elizabeth and Darcy without descending into tawdry territory. Definitely tops my list of sequels.
R.
It's disappointing to give this book a low rating since if it hadn't been fixed on presenting Darcy and Georgiana's mother as an evil, capricious enchantress who spent her time ensnaring and bewitching good men and ruining their lives with her wiles it would have been good.

But it was fixed on that. So fuck it.
Lee Ann
This was a nice faux-sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. It was nice to speculate about what happens to the Darcy's after the wedding. It was fun and well written. Great vacation book. Only 3.5 stars - no complaints but it's not exactly a literary triumph. It was just enjoyable!
Mrs. Tolbert
After reading the sample first chapter, I was intrigued enough to buy a copy. I like the novel, but I can't say I loved it. Darcy was a little to emotional for me (he cries numerous times) and, in general, I'm not a fan of sequels/retellings that a lot of new characters.
Michelle
Oh my! If Mr Darcy had been this prone to crying in P & P I would not have liked him half as much. While the writting style stayed true to Jane Austen's style I dont think the story was executed well.
Mary
This book picks up where Pride and Prejudice leaves off. Written in the Jane Austen style. Very good. Local author, came to our book club. Fun to meet. I enjoyed the book.
Tina
Shockingly awful. It should have been entitled "Darcy Emasculated." I lost count of the number of times he wept in Elizabeth's arms. NOT Austen's Darcy of Pride and Prejudice.
Marylou
I am currently reading this book. It is ok. Elizabeth is just a little too silly in this book and Mr. Darcy is a big cry-baby. Still I am almost finished with it.
Babs
This was an excellent book I tought. This is off the movie version of P & P of 1995. I enjoyed reading what it might be like after they were married.

Annalynn
Painfully slow "sequel" to P&P. I stopped reading it 1/3 of the way through, practically unheard of for me. Darcy and Lizzie were just... blah.
K.
Pretty good if you like Pride and Prejudice. Definitely DIDN'T expect the ending...waaay out there for the time period, but whatever.
Cyndi Willoughby
I'm really not sure what made me decide to read this book... Morbid curiosity I guess. It's ok, but I don't think I'll be reading it again.
  • The Road to Pemberley: An Anthology of New Pride and Prejudice Stories
  • Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)
  • Conviction: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice
  • Mrs Darcy's Dilemma
  • Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?
  • The Darcys Give a Ball: A Gentle Joke, Jane Austen Style
  • Darcy's Temptation: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Memory: Volume 1, Lasting Impressions: A Tale Of Pride And Prejudice
  • A Marriage Worth The Earning: ~To Have And To Hold~
  • Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A Tale of a Gentleman and an Officer (Darcy and Fitzwilliam, #1)
  • First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice
  • Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker
  • Darcy and Anne: It Is a Truth Universally Acknowledged That Lady Catherine Will Never Find a Husband for Anne...
  • Mr. Darcy's Secret