Start by marking “A Fine Passion (Bastion Club, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Fine Passion (Bastion Club, #4)

A Fine Passion (Bastion Club #4)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  3,041 ratings  ·  75 reviews

For a limited time and at a special price, discover #1 New York Times bestselling author Stephanie Laurens's Bastion Club series with A Fine Passion, plus special excerpts from other novels in the series.

In A Fine Passion, the men of the Bastion Club are powerful, loyal, and not averse to overcoming danger if they must. Now, after years of loyal service to the Crown, they

Published 2011 by Piatkus Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Fine Passion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fine Passion

Kit★
Onward with the Bastion books! After some searching, I decided to cast William Levy as Jack (view spoiler). I think he fits decently enough. I liked Jack's role in the last book, and was kind of looking forward to his story. I liked how it started, but then when Clarice (Hannibal Lecter and his 'Hello, Clarice' kept running through my head, lol) was introduced, I wasn't sure what to think about her. She was rather prickly and bossy and I didn't think I was going to like her much...more
Cruth
Author: Stephanie Laurens
First published: 2005
Length: 425 pages
Setting: Gloucestershire and London, 1816 (Regency).
Sex: Explicit. Frequent. Varied. A magic vagina that cures headaches through lovemaking.
Includes: Excerpt from The Truth About Love

Book 4 and it's feeling like more of the same...

A different story, different characters, but the same, frequent sex that takes over half of the book. Same positions. Same desire for control.

In "A Fine Passion" the sex is less integral to the story -- she...more
Oleta Blaylock
This book's plot is a little different than the others so far. There is still the mystery of the last traitor which is still unresolved by the end of this story. This mystery is a little more subdued. There are hints at the very beginning but nothing that is urgent until much farther along in the book. There are two antagonists in this story a man that is the henchman of the final traitor and the stepmother of the heroine, Clarice Altwood. This all makes for an interesting story that will have y...more
Sheila Melo
I Just Loved the Heroine

A FINE PASSION is the fourth Bastion Club novel. The series is about English men who operated as spies in France during the war. They have returned to titles and the obligations of marriage. The established their club as a refuge and help during their search for brides.

A FINE PASSION is the story of Jack, Baron Warnefleet who comes to his family estate to discover that Lady Clarice Altwood has been operating in his absence for years. The two end up having to investigate...more
Caitlin Kelly
At first I wasn't sure about this one, it took a very long time to actually get into the story... But after it did I thoroughly enjoyed it and couldn't put it down (It came everywhere with me in my handbag!)
I loved that Clarice was such a strong woman, and wasn't going to take no for an answer.
Jack won my heart over in the end as well, I wasn't to sure of him for the first few pages of the book, but once again Stephanie's writing won me over.

The 'adventure' these two went on had me at the edge...more
Joy
This story started where the previous Bastion Club book left off. The pace was slow at first but somewhere along the story it picked up. I immediately liked Clarice, she's the epitome of a strong heroine, she wasn't only feisty, she has razor-sharp wits too. A warrior-queen, in a nutshell, just how our hero Jack viewed her.

I liked how their dalliance mingled with the matters at hand. This story was rich in intrigue, unresolved family issues, and the going back to the ton, where both Jack and Cla...more
Astri  Nasthasia Videlia
Ahahhahha.. Jack lagi Jack lagi... hmpffth...

Sejauh ini.. Ceritanya rata - rata mirip - mirip.. tp kasus yg mereka hadapi biasanya lain - lain dan masih berhubungan...

Aahhh... makin dekat dengan dalziel nih... ini Buku pertama dimana Seseorang mengetahui Nama Asli Dalziel.. ahaayy...

Clarice sang tokoh wanita disini.. jd Favorite gw saat ini.. Strong.. Smart.. Wiser.. ga salah klo Jack sang Baron Warnefleet Bertekuk lutut di mariih...
apa lagi Jack itu kan tipe Setengah Alpha.. tp mau ajah nga...more
Kelly
It took me a really long time to read this book, not because I didn't like the characters or the plot, but because it was so very long that there was just no pace to anything.

Characters: I loved Jack and Clarice as individuals - both were strong, witty and funny and could clearly hold their own. As a couple I loved their chemistry. In most similar novels there are usually two outcomes; Either the heroine is inexperienced and therefore dominated by the personality of the man, or she is so stubb...more
Marie
Bintang 4.
Buku ke4 seri Bastion Club.

Lebih terasa petualangan dan aksi mata matanya dibandingkan buku buku sebelumnya. Dimana mantan komandan Jack, Dalziel yg belum pensiun karena masih mengejar pengkhianat terakhir yg selama ini hanya praduga dan insting semata. Karena kasus yg ditangani Jack lah, sang mata mata bukan lagi hanya sosok dugaan.

Bujangan ke4 anggota BC: Julius "Jack" Warneflet, Baron Warnefleet of Minchinbury.

Terluka dikepala yg cukup serius karena menolong koleganya dalam penyelid...more
Helene Harrison
ISBN? - 9780749940386

Genre? - Historical / Romance / Erotica / Mystery / Regency

Characters? - Jack / Clarice / Royce (Dalziel) / Humphries / Roger / Nigel / Alton

Setting? - London & Gloucestershire (England)

Series? - Bastion Club #4

Title? - This title is a bit less sexual than other titles in this series. It paints passion as something to be desired and respected, and not just sexual.

Character Analysis? - At the beginning I really didn't expect to like the book but I liked both the hero and...more
Laila
This is the fourth installment to the Bastion Club series. This time it follows the story of Lord Julius "Jack" Warnefleet, Baron Warnefleet of Minchinbury, after working as a spy for over a decade during the war with France he is back home to settle his estate and set upon the business of looking for his suitable bride however to his consternation he was almost entrapped with an unwanted bride after barely escaping that disaster he decided to quit London and go home to his home town in the coun...more
ies
huaaaa... Jack!! keknya gw jg musti dapet cow dgn tipe kek jack deh, soalnya gw jg tipe2 setengah Alpha yg susah banget ngalah, hobi ngatur dst kek si heroin nya ni *la kok malah culhat*

hhhmmm.. aku kasih bintang 4 bukan cuma karena ini SL loo.. tp karena aku jg suka sama ke2 karakternya XD

ya itu, Jack si hero nya sangat amat sabar, die tau cara dan trik ngadepin heroinya yg keras kepala dan tipe alpha abis, padahal jack jg tipe alpha lo..
biasanya kan jadi ribut terus menerus kl 1 tipe, tp ini...more
Melissa
One of Stephanie Laurens's best novels. Clarice is a heroine much in Honoria Cynster's style: a well-bred lady from the aristocracy who understands the "rules" yet refuses to allow herself to be bullied by them. It is actually refreshing to find a heroine who doesn't go wandering about dressed as a boy because she's been living in the countryside and got bored. Jack also, rather than just be another prowling, possessive Laurens male, takes Clarice's opinions and thoughts into full consideration...more
Robin Rousu
One of the better titles in the series, which has great independent smart women and interesting spy/suspense plots that are weaving together nicely. The leads in this one are mature and complicated, but still likable. Recommended for romance readers who can tolerate excessive sex scenes.
Jessi
Jack Warnefleet is trying to escape the matchmaking mamas of London by escaping to his country manor. There, he finds that in his absence as a spy for the Crown, Clarice Altwood, a marquess' daughter who escaped London after she refused to play by society's rules, has been acting in his place. After getting over their initial opinions of each other, they realize that they are actually very attracted to each other. But they still have to work with each other to try and overcome a recurring charac...more
Christine
Fleeing London after almost getting trapped into marriage, Baron Jack Warnefleet meets Lady Clarice, [a marquess's daughter who is feisty, spirited and has no plans to marry. Jack pursues Clarice while they work to combat traitorous allegations against her cousin and Jack's lifelong friend.

I absolutely loved Jack [strong yet showed weaknesses at times; sexy and romantic, especially his proposal at the end] and I loved Clarice [very strong willed]. Together, they were a powerhouse couple. My onl...more
April
I adore this series!! Stephanie Laurens is a master at the Alpha Rake!! I love the men pursuing their ladies!!

What a great story! I laughed and cried many times! Such wonderful writing and really engaging characters!! I love this authors work!!

I adore this whole series and can not wait to see each man get his lady. It is a bit formula with the alpha male who is often chased finding a lady he wants and being forced to pursue her. But formula works that why we love it!

Each book has an add but of i...more
Sari
Lebih bagus dari buku 1, 2 & 3 yang sangat membosankan itu. Abis baca buku ini jadi makin penasaran siapa sebenernya bos para cowo" Bastion club ini, sama siapa dalang asli dari penjahat dibuku ke 3 n ke 4 ini, kira" dibuku berapa y semuanya bakal ketauan.

Tapi nih buku hampir gw kasih bintang 2 lagi, krn setelah mereka dateng ke London, alur cerita sudah mulai monoton lagi, tiap bab pasti ada adegan mereka uhuk", bosen juga lama", trus konflik dgn nyokap tirinya kok ilang gitu aja, kurang gr...more
Lori McD
One of the better books of the series - I enjoyed the warrior and warrior-queen analogies as much as the Hero and Heroine. I also enjoyed the furthering of the "last traitor", specifically the involvement of Dalziel and The Bastion Club members. I thought that the club members showed a better balance in this book - dedication to both the mystery and the romance of their fellow member.

I also thought that Hero and Heroine had a better balance in this book of pursuing mutual goals and keeping the "...more
Leticia Vega-Boggs
I tried to love it, but after three reads its ok. Lady Clarice is difficult for me to like.
Ivana Azap
This was so modern couple!!! So much love encounters ;) And such a proposal!! I want one of those! Book was OK, no melodramatics, but OK for reading. This is my first Bastion club book. I know, I started from the middle, but I do not have any regrets ;)
LaFleurBleue
I really enjoyed the beginning of the story, when everything the heroine did or had done came as a surprise to the hero, and when both of them, one after the other, had to eat crow and apologize to the other for speaking too fast without knowing. Their perfect partnership was also very obvious.
However the second half of the book was less enthralling, both regarding the romance and the investigation. The only things that added some interest to it was the action plan launched towards the evil wido...more
Aldis
Kristi
The funniest line I've read in a while was in this book...

"Apparently, his body couldn't throb in two places simultaneously."

Took me a while to get used to Clarice, because she was such a strong character. I'm glad she stayed that way and it was interesting to watch the relationship develop and they ended up a team (for lack of a better word),so in the end It worked for me.

Usual formula used for this one as is used for nearly all of Laurens' books, but I'm finally just going with it. :-)
Marie
And so after indulging in teenage giggling series and shallow plots, it's my season for old fashion romance novels. I should be dead by now really.
A historical novel of the 1800's, I appreciated the wit of the conversations of this book and the complicated way feelings were processed. The author is great at laying down the dilemmas of the characters amidst a conservative and yet scandalous British society after the war.
Bronwyn Rykiert
This is the 4th book in Bastion Club Series and it is not one of the best.

This is the story of Jack Warnefleet and Lady Clarice Altwood.

The story was okay and I did get through book but I found it slow to start with and the mystery was not one of Stephanie's best.

I did enjoy Jack and Clarice though and there were bits in the book that made good story.

I hope the next Bastion Club Book is better.
Elaine Mcdonald
I like Stephanie Laurens and really enjoyed this book. The most difficult part of this book was reading the ebook with so many errors. There were so many times that parts of a sentence were started but not finished until three or more sentences later if at all. It made several parts confusing to read. Seriously don't they check these books before they put them out? Or is it just my library copy?
Tasneem
The plot is the same as the first few, but the details, that is all that makes this so interesting. We know what's going to happen, but it doesn't matter. She twists and turns things, makes a few unexpected surprises crop up and I fall for her story yet again. The hero, like all her heroes are strong men, vanguards in the system of patriarchy, and yet, they learn about love.
Jaime
I see I'm in the minority among reviewers here, but I thought this book was pretty boring. I just didn't feel any real spark between the hero and heroine (or toward them, for that matter), and the action wasn't terribly exciting. I think this is the fourth Stephanie Laurens book I've read and it will probably be the last; I don't seem to be enjoying them much.
  • Married to the Viscount (Swanlea Spinsters, #5)
  • Slightly Sinful (Bedwyn Saga, #5)
  • Scottish Brides
  • The Wedding Night of an English Rogue (Boscastle, #3)
  • A Reckless Beauty (Romney Marsh, #5)
  • One Night with a Spy (Royal Four, #3)
  • Kiss Me, Annabel (Essex Sisters, #2)
  • Dancing at Midnight (Splendid, #2)
  • Never Deceive a Duke (Neville Family, #2)
  • Devil Takes a Bride (Knight Miscellany, #5)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie...more
More about Stephanie Laurens...
Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1) A Rake's Vow (Cynster, #2) A Secret Love (Cynster, #5) Scandal's Bride (Cynster, #3) A Rogue's Proposal (Cynster,  #4)