A Revolution of the Mind: Radical Enlightenment and the Intellectual Origins of Modern Democracy

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  11 reviews
During the revolutionary decades of the 1770s, 1780s, and 1790s, the Radical Enlightenment burst into the open, only to provoke a long and bitter backlash. In telling this fascinating history, this work reveals the origin of our most cherished values - and helps explain why in certain circles they are frequently disapproved of and attacked.
Published October 26th 2009 by Princeton University Press (first published 2009)

Esteban del Mal
1/27/10: Spinoza sighting! Can't wait to get to this one.

***

Awww. Look at little, sweet, innocent Esteban, circa early 2010 up there, back before he read this. The abbreviated anticipation is almost palpable.

What a chump.

Shitty books are shitty for different shitty reasons. This one is shitty because it deals foremost with philosophy. Philosophy. Meditate upon the word for a minute. Do you break out in a cold sweat at the thought of a bunch of white, twenty-something males that look like they ju...more
Hadrian
Jonathan Israel has written some Very Big Books about the Enlightenment that I hope to read someday. Unfortunately, time pressures and work have forced me to make do with this 300 page summary/manifesto of his 2400 page argument.

As far as I can tell, his argument is based upon three main points: the history of the Enlightenment has its roots in the 17th century and the arguments of Spinoza; the Enlightenment as we know it is an international, not just national phenomenon that can be further defi...more
Don
I'd love to read Israel's enormous books on the subject, but I'll try his short version first. The type is really big, so this book is even shorter than its page length implies.

Israel makes three big arguments:

1) The Enlightenment ought to be understood/studied as two competing Enlightenments - the Radical (Diderot, D'Holbach, et al) vs. the Moderate (Voltaire, Hume, et al) - rather than a set of distinct national phenomena.
2) The Radical Enlightenment is rooted in Spinoza and Bayle... essential...more
Steve
This book in many ways amounts to an abstract or summary of his brilliant (and quite lengthy) trilogy on the Enlightenment (Radical Enlightenment, Enlightenment Contested, and Democratic Enlightenment), all of which I've read and enjoyed over the past few years as I've studied the Enlightenment.

As with all of his books they are informative and quite readable if you're into 2-inch-thick non-fiction titles covering a fairly obscure but incredibly important process in Western civilization. :
Grace
This book summarises some of Jonathan Israel's recent work on the enlightenment - there are two 1000 page volumes (both under £25 - what a bargain OUP!) and I think another one is on the way. This short volume necessarily skips a lot of detail and mainly focuses on the differences between the moderate and radical enlightenments in the later, immediately pre-French revolution period of about 1750-1790. Israel argues that new 'radical enlightenment' ideas combined with longstanding social and poli...more
Heather Stein
Apr 26, 2010 Heather Stein rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Heather by: D. Bell
This book is so polemical i am had trouble even managing to get through it. The basic premise of a radical and moderate Enlightenment seems forced. The end of Diderot's life is much less radical than Israel would have us believe AND i am having problems with any definition of "moderate" Enlightenment figure that lumps Voltaire in with Sir Edmund Burke... Sir Edmund Burke the famed conservative whose Reflections on the Revolution in France.

Avoid reading. It will just get under your skin. Antoine
Charlie Huenemann
This is a nice, short overview of Israel's larger volumes. Israel's work is thoroughly researched and the claims he makes are both daring (at least among academic historians) and interesting. Reading this volume is a great way of getting some sense of major and minor players, the important philosophical differences among them, and the relation of ideas to the revolutions in America and France. In the end, I think his principal distinction, between the Radical and Moderate movements of Enlightenm...more
Stuart Macalpine
And interesting account of the philosophical ideas leading up to the French Revolution. Spinoza emerges as a founding father of the ideas of the radical Enlightenment. The interesting thing is the extent to which our modern values are a product of this time. Specifically the kind of values we often hear talked about including democracy, equality, and freedom of conscience and speech. To a surprising extent these are only located within the radical Enlightenment and are not a mainstream part of p...more
Jerry Hilts
A bit rambling at times, but fascinating none the less.
Peter A.  van Tilburg
Book gives a good overview about the Enlightment and more specific 2 parties the more moderate ones who wanted to fit the ideas in the existing order and the revolutionary party who realises that fitting in contradicts with the basic ideas of the Enlightment.
Interesting to see that some ideas such as ' the reason' are not defined and more or less accepted as general truths.
Alexander Murray-Watters
Needs more detail. Fortunately, the author has written three massive tomes on the same topic.
Mels
Mels marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Andrew Nedelchev
Andrew Nedelchev marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Gustav Dinsdag
Gustav Dinsdag is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2014
Yoko
Yoko marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Mjr
Mjr marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Adna
Adna added it
May 29, 2014
Ron Moss
Ron Moss marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Goslin
Goslin marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Beth
Beth added it
May 15, 2014
Justin
Justin is currently reading it
May 13, 2014
Zayd Tutton
Zayd Tutton marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Gordy Mower
Gordy Mower marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Radical Enlightenment: Philosophy and the Making of Modernity 1650-1750 The Dutch Republic: Its Rise, Greatness, and Fall 1477-1806 Enlightenment Contested: Philosophy, Modernity, and the Emancipation of Man 1670-1752 Democratic Enlightenment: Philosophy, Revolution, and Human Rights 1750-1790 European Jewry In The Age Of Mercantilism 1550 1750