Start by marking “The Gift of Valor: A War Story” as Want to Read:
The Gift of Valor: A War Story

The Gift of Valor: A War Story

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Every day ordinary young Americans are fighting and dying in Iraq, with the same bravery, honor, and sense of duty that have distinguished American troops throughout history. One of these is Jason Dunham, a twenty-two-year-old Marine corporal from the one-stoplight town of Scio, New York, whose stunning story reporter Michael M. Phillips discovered while he was embedded wi ...more
Published May 31st 2005 by Broadway Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Gift of Valor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gift of Valor

Mina
On Thursday morning of this week (2/23), I was overcome by the need to finish all of the books I started at various points last year. Maybe it's because Howard is home from Iraq and coming to live with me in Rochester soon. Maybe I want to truly, tangibly close the chapter of my life that was 2005. Maybe I want to feel like I actually accomplished something in my time alone. This was the book for whatever my reason(s).

I started reading in July, when the Webster store was just preparing to open.
Paul
Emotional and heartbreaking story of an amazing U.S. Marine and his ultimate sacrifice to save his brothers. On the streets of Husaybah, Jason Dunham warned his squad and jumped on an enemy grenade, taking the blast and laying down his life for his friends.

This book tells you more than this story- the author tells you about Dunham's life, his actions, and much more of his incredible story. This story should be heard by every American.
Brent
This guy said it all. I cried like a baby and I'm proud of it.

Jim rated it: 4 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars
12/11/08

Read in January, 2008
If you don't cry, you have no soul.
Just a typical all-american kid who sacrificed
for us.
Shanna
Corporal Dunham is a true American hero. This book and A Soldier's Promise are my two favorite books.
Jim
If you don't cry, you have no soul.
Just a typical all-american kid who sacrificed
for us.
Mike
Great book sad story puts a personal touch on the war
Kirstin
everyone should read this book. enough said.
Janet
The story itself of United States Marine Corporal Jason Dunham is heroic and tragic. It seemed possible that after testing his theory to see if a helmet could blunt the damage of a grenade thrown by an Iraqi insurgent on April 14, 2004, that Dunham might survive the ordeal. Instead he died and was awarded the highest military distinction, The Medal of Honor. For the chance to know what this soldier did on behalf of our country, I am grateful.

The reason for the two stars is that the author, Mich
Jack
This one was a very good book. It gave me some insight on what our young men went through and are still going through fighting in the Middle East.

I take this one very personal. I work with a Wounded Warrior, Jesse. He was in Kilo Company at the same time as this story, but in a different platoon than Jason Dunham. This book helps me understand what Jesse went through. Jesse knew most of the Marines mentioned in this book and was in some of the firefights Phillips wrote about. Jesse tells me tha
Alex
We hear a lot about war on the news or on tv, but we don’t see the whole story. What we see on the news is the political side of the war, or the tallies of deaths. This book tells you the whole story, and brings you into the war as a marine fighting for his country and his comrades.
Michael Phillips, an author that himself has served four tours in Iraq, wrote this book about Jason Duhnum, and what he went though to receive the Medal of Honor. He is a reporter for the Wall Street Journal.
Jason Du
Mike Rogers
"The Gift of Valor" tells the true story of US Marine Corporal Jason Dunham who was mortally wounded in Iraq after trying to muffle a grenade explosion with his helmet. Author Michael Phillips has chosen to focus almost exclusively on Jason himself. There are no political aspects to this story and Phillips never passes judgement on the validity of the war itself. It's simply a very straightforward retelling of what happened to Dunham.

The writing style is very much like a newspaper article becaus
Wendy Clow
The Gift of Valor is one of the best books I have ever read. I reserve that phrase for very few books, and this one deserves it.

Thank God for Michael Phillips for recording stories like this in print. The dedication to integrity evident in his writing results in attention to detail like most of us will never give. Without it, stories like this one of a true hero would fade over time.

I believe most of us in America have no idea of the extent of our military brothers' and sisters' sacrifice whil
Brendan O'Meara
I'm at a loss for how good this book was. The reporting was so strong and the writing was terse and muscular. Michael Phillips threaded together an intensely heroic and tragic story.

Give Philllips and standing ovation for his work on this book.
Doreen
This story broke your heart. You felt like you were right inside the events, very well done. Thanks again to all the individuals that serve our country and the loved ones back home.
Tasha
Powerful, heart wrenching and a must read for anyone who doubts the courage and self-sacrifice of our servicemen and women. Corporal Dunham's courage and concern for his men is amazing and I appreciate the sacrifice he made in the split second for his men and I thank him for his courage to protect our country. He received, and without a doubt, earned the Medal of Honor.

The author, Michael M. Phillips, does a phenomenal job in writing this story.
Anthony Chauhan
This is one of the best books ive read.
Wes
Good journalism but this book went way too in depth from what I was hoping it would be when I heard about it. I was expecting this to be a quick read with a small intro to his life, focus on the event, and a few small details of the aftermath. I don't mean to give the book a bad name (and definitely given the subject matter my meaningless words couldn't even begin to do that) but it felt like it drug on to me because I wasn't into it 100%. I wasn't wanting to get as much info as was given.
Leticia
Jenna Owens
Extraordinary book about an extraordinary man, U.S. Marine Corporal Jason Dunham, and the sacrifice he made to save the lives of his fellow Marines. As someone who has never read a book on this topic, it definitely gave me some insight on what our young men and women are going through fighting in the Middle East. Would definitely recommend this for anybody who wants a realistic account of what life is like for our soldiers overseas. This one will stay with me for a while.
Burt
Outstanding account of the action that led to the awarding of the Medal of Honor (posthumously) to USMC Corporal Jason Dunham for his actions in combat in Iraq. This is a really 'gritty' account, but no gratuitous blood and gore. Very much from the ground view of the troops involved. You will mist up at the end of the book. Short and very easy to read.
Staci
This is the story of Jason Dunham. Another must read for anyone with a loved one in the Military. This is the first book that I have ever read, that I had to take time off, because of the sheer amount of sobbing that this Military Mom did. It will take time, but it shows the immense sacrifice our kids' are making in these wars.
Amy
Jun 06, 2008 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Amy by: my husband
The story of the truest American/Marine Corps hero there is. A man, yet only a boy, who gave his life so others lived.
Who among us would dive on a granade to save the life of our friends? What a question to have to answer, and yet Jason Dunham did it without thinking.
Moominboy
An excellent on-the-ground story about one soldier's tour in Iraq, and sadly his death. If you want an account of daily lives of soldiers, as well as detailed description of ambushes and their aftermaths, this is the book for you.
Cheryl
Realistic and gritty portrayal of life on the front lines in Iraq. Jason Dunham was posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his act of heroism in saving the lives of his comrades.
Zaneta Padilla
This book is incredible! It as a tear jerker, but I think everyone should read it, regardless of how you feel about the military. It gives a point of view not many people can experience.
Polly
Interesting story of an American soldier who is heroic in Iraq and suffers great injuries and ultimately dies. Good journalism by Michael Phillips
Jim Holscher
Excellent look at the reality of war. The intertwined personalities shine. This book manages to be deeply touching and yet not depressing .
Brandy Deberry
This book is amazing, it was written about a friend of mine who gave his life to save that of his crew. Jason was such an awesome Marine!
Shaun
An excellent true story of a Marine who sacrificed himself for his fellow troops. He survived for a while and received the Medal of Honor.
  • We Were One: Shoulder to Shoulder with the Marines Who Took Fallujah
  • No True Glory: A Frontline Account of the Battle for Fallujah
  • Brute: The Life of Victor Krulak, U.S. Marine
  • The War I Always Wanted: The Illusion of Glory and the Reality of War: A Screaming Eagle in Afghanistan and Iraq
  • My Men Are My Heroes: The Brad Kasal Story
  • What Was Asked of Us: An Oral History of the Iraq War by the Soldiers Who Fought It
  • Rule Number Two: Lessons I Learned in a Combat Hospital
  • Joker One: A Marine Platoon's Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood
  • The Arab Mind
  • Ambush Alley: The Most Extraordinary Battle of the Iraq War
  • The Last Stand of Fox Company: A True Story of U.S. Marines in Combat
  • Big Boy Rules: America's Mercenaries Fighting in Iraq
  • Lions of Kandahar: The Story of a Fight Against All Odds
  • Eight Lives Down: The Story of a Counterterrorist Bomb-Disposal Operator's Tour in Iraq
  • Every Man a Tiger: The Gulf War Air Campaign (Commanders)
  • I'm Staying With My Boys...: The Heroic Life of Sgt. John Basilone, USMC
  • Breakout: The Chosin Reservoir Campaign, Korea 1950
  • The Village
MICHAEL M. PHILLIPS, a staff reporter for the Wall Street Journal, has done four tours in Iraq with the Third Battalion, Seventh Marines. He lives in Washington, D.C., with his wife and two children.

More about Michael M. Phillips...