Start by marking “Crime and Punishment in America” as Want to Read:
Crime and Punishment in America

Crime and Punishment in America

There are five times as many Americans behind bars today as in 1970. The national incarceration rate in 1997 was twice that in 1985. California's prison system has become the third largest in the world. And despite some limited recent declines in crime rates, we remain by far the most violent industrial society on earth.

Though our massive investment in the prison system ha
Published October 15th 1998 by Picador

To ask other readers questions about Crime and Punishment in America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crime and Punishment in America

Austin
Aug 07, 2015 Austin rated it liked it
I'm extremely sympathetic to the arguments that Currie made in this book, but I found the manner in which he made them to be misleading and disingenuous. He would cite an econometric study that supports his viewpoint in one paragraph and then, in the very next paragraph, dismiss an econometric study that opposes his viewpoint as mathematical sorcery that "mere mortals struggle to comprehend." You can't have it both ways.
Samantha
Jun 02, 2014 Samantha rated it really liked it
Crime and Punishment in America was a nice change from the books I usually read. I have never really liked nonfiction books much, but this book was actually pretty interesting and fascinating to read. Before reading this, I could not even imagine how harsh and dark the criminal world is here in America. Currie lists many statistics showing how crime has changed over the years and tries to give some solutions to help slow and prevent more crimes from happening. His solutions are mainly creating s ...more
Michael Stocksdale
May 27, 2015 Michael Stocksdale rated it really liked it
Elliott Currie exposes many issues about why the American prison population has been escalating out of control. He primarily focuses on the youth of America and how child abuse and neglect plays a major role in future violent offenders. In one instance 14 members of death row had experienced some form of child abuse during their early years. In his closing statement, Currie leaves the condition of our penal system up to the citizens of this country because it is up to us if we want to control ou ...more
Jd Gieson
Jun 04, 2014 Jd Gieson rated it really liked it
Elliott Currie delved himself deeply into the world of criminal delinquency and solutions to such problems. It sparked very interesting topics that could lead to many different conversations regarding such situations. As my research policy paper highlighted, Currie discussed the relationships between educational attainment and criminal activity. I thought this was a very interesting topic of discussion. Overall this book is a good representation that exemplifies conflicts within American society ...more
Amanda
A fascinating and comprehensive study of the roots of crime and the flaws in our system meant to address it. This book took me a good long while to read. It's not that I lacked interest or that the writing style wasn't accessible, but that it was essentially a 230 page essay. If you have an interest in criminal justice reform that extends to your profession, I would strongly recommend it.
Al Menaster
Jul 06, 2015 Al Menaster rated it it was amazing
Quite simply, the best book on the criminal justice system. Documents, with evidence, why jail doesn't work and what does work. Make sure you read the 2013 edition.
Rosa
Aug 18, 2015 Rosa rated it really liked it
Not the most exciting and engaging read, but an important one that's written clearly and succinctly.
Fredrick Danysh
Sep 05, 2011 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Currie explores the American legal system and how criminals are treated.
Elizabeth
Aug 11, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, nonfiction
Fascinating. I learned a lot about the prison industry.
Jon
Mar 31, 2009 Jon rated it really liked it
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Hannah Woollaston
Hannah Woollaston marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Ricky
Ricky marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
RAw Will
RAw Will rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Tomek
Tomek marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Cory Brunson
Cory Brunson marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Ari
Ari marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Douggie
Douggie marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Leon Summerfield
Leon Summerfield marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Marco
Marco marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Emilie
Emilie marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Malia
Malia added it
Jul 08, 2016
Minh Dinh
Minh Dinh marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Hunyingan Mautin
Hunyingan Mautin marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Daniel Glossenger
Daniel Glossenger marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Elliott Currie is the author of The Road to Whatever, Confronting Crime, Reckoning, and Crime and Punishment in America. An internationally recognized authority on youth and crime, he is a professor of criminology, law, and society at the University of California, Irvine.

More about Elliott Currie...