Doctor Who: Seeing I

Doctor Who: Seeing I (Eighth Doctor Adventures #12)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  8 reviews
He has no idea why Samantha Jones ran away from him.

Sam is homeless on the streets of the colony world of Ha'olam, trying to face what's just happened between her and the Doctor. He's searching for her, and for answers. While she struggles to survive in a strange city centuries from home, the Doctor comes across evidence of alien involvement in the local mega-corporation,...more
Paperback, 1st, 288 pages
Published June 8th 1998 by BBC Books

The Host by Stephenie Meyer1984 by George OrwellUglies by Scott WesterfeldNumbers by Rachel WardSpecials by Scott Westerfeld
Eye of the Beholder
56th out of 420 books — 249 voters
Doctor Who by Ben AaronovitchDoctor Who by Gary RussellDoctor Who by Mark MorrisDoctor Who by Jacqueline RaynerDoctor Who by Simon Guerrier
Doctor Who ultimate list
178th out of 210 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

M
The best of the eighth Doctor novels so far.
Although I was at first tempted to continue skimming through Sam's story, I quickly was captivated by it. Sam grows up in this one (finally). I think I actually find her tolerable now.
The Doctor's character journey was both thrilling and terrifying.
A future re-read for me.
If you love the Doctor, read it.
Mary JL
Dec 01, 2008 Mary JL rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all Doctor Who fans' most sf fans as well even if not usually Who fans
Recommended to Mary JL by: Book review on a Dr. who site
The BBC Books imprint of the Doctor who Books focuses on longer books, a bit more adult than the Tv adaptations, and like any series of books, some are better than others.

The especially interesting thing about this book is the psychological stress on the Doctor in this situation. The Doctor usually wins and wins quickly--here he is imprisoned and really struggling to keep his mental "balance". I won't spoil it further with details. It is one of the best Dr. Who Novel's I have read and I've read...more
Daniel Kukwa
One of the most intense books of the early 8th Doctor canon...and one that completely and totally deconstructs the Doctor by stripping him of everything he is, everything he can do, and everything he THINKS he can anticipate. One of Kate Orman's (and Jon Blum's) greatest contributions to the Doctor Who canon.
Michael
I'd say that it's a little late in the series to suddenly decide 'Oh, dear shouldn't we develop the characters a bit'. Anybody not satisfied with the cardboard cut-out angst-girl and the puppy-dog-Doctor who likes repeating people's names machine gun fashion, has probably already given up on the series. I've been tempted many times myself but I still cling to the dictum: 'Things can only get better.'
The Doctor is still searching for Sam. His chunk of the novel is rather good. The Doctor v. bure...more
Nicholas Whyte

I thought this was a rather good Eighth Doctor novel, with the Doctor and Sam finally reuniting after three years in which Sam becomes an environmental activist and basically grows up, while the Doctor is held in a very creepy and nasty prison. I was one of many Old Who fans who took a while to get used to the romance element between the companions and the Doctor in New Who, but here is an example of it being worked rather well into the narrative.
Angela
The Doctor is still looking for Sam. Meanwhile, Sam is finally getting a normal life on an alien planet. Think about one of the worse things that could happen to the Doctor, being restricted to one room forever. This is a very clever story and the author really puts the characters through the ringer. It is quite emotional to see the Doctor so vulnerable, and you feel for him. I'm not sure that this would be a good starting point to the 8th Doctor books though. A very good read.
Simon Curtis
Excellent, Sam moves on a lot while The Doctor is in prison for a year.
Sean Flood
Sean Flood marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Aditi
Aditi marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
John Lynch
John Lynch marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Rhianna Neel
Rhianna Neel marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
S. Pame Patelli
S. Pame Patelli marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Christina Walters
Christina Walters marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
  • The Left-Handed Hummingbird
  • Doctor Who: The Also People
  • Nightshade
  • Doctor Who: The Eight Doctors
Jonathan Blum is the author of several Doctor Who novels and Big Finish audios. He currently lives in Australia with his wife Kate Orman.
More about Jonathan Blum...
Doctor Who: Vampire Science Doctor Who: The Fearmonger (Big Finish Audio Drama, #5) Doctor Who: Unnatural History Fallen Gods (Doctor Who Novellas) The Prisoner:  The Prisoner's Dilemma