Start by marking “Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales” as Want to Read:
Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales

Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  55,451 ratings  ·  1,334 reviews

Features the tale "1408," now a Dimension Films motion picture, starring John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson.

Also inside is the blockbuster eBook "Riding the Bullet," the original audio story "In the Deathroom," plus eleven more boundary-pushing fiction masterworks that will keep you awake until daybreak.
Published May 1st 2007 by Gallery Books (first published March 19th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Everything's Eventual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything's Eventual

Edward Lorn
As with all of Stephen King’s collections, I’m giving each story a one-sentence review. Before we begin, I would like to say a few things that have little to do with this book’s contents. If you do not care for personal stories in reviews, you should take this chance to move along, or you may scroll past the next few paragraphs. But I hope you’ll join me. Maybe my story will help someone who doesn’t know they need help.

While listening to this one (I chose the audiobook for this reread), I tried
I'm always amazed at how varied his subjects can be. He is certainly not "just" a horror writer.

Introduction 5 stars. I love King and when he is brutally honest (when is he not?) I love him all the more.

Autopsy Room 4 4 stars I've actually seen the AHP episode that inspired this and Cotton was amazing. I love that only King could mention Michael Bolton and then bring up the fact that Percy is probably rolling in his grave at Bolton's rendition of "When a Man Loves a Woman". This story is
Nandakishore Varma
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times... and I'll say it again. Steve King is a fantastic storyteller, and very few of his stories have actually bored me. It is the same with this collection.

However, very few of the stories here are actually frightening. Some give a mild sense of unease, that's all. However, almost all of them are readable and most are highly enjoyable.

My personal favourites were That Feeling, The One You Can Only Say What it is in French, In the Deathroom and Ridi
Primeiro contacto que tive com contos do autor e adorei a experiência! Ando a apreciar cada vez mais a leitura de contos porque muitas vezes estou demasiado cansada para me investir num romance de 300 páginas e os contos acabam por ser algo mais leve, embora o conteúdo destes de Stephen King não o seja de todo mas vocês percebem!

Claro que gostei mais de uns do que de outros, mas no geral dou 4 estrelas ao livro. A capacidade que o autor tem para contar histórias foi sem dúvida o ponto mais posit
Nov 28, 2008 Walt rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those with open minds who love horror and loudness.
Recommended to Walt by: Brian Osborne
This was a nice read, but not what I'd call very entertaining. I know for sure that the first half was better than the second one. While I met some very favourite short stories, it was full of duds. But the thing is, even the bad books aren't so horrible. So I think I recommend this. I think I definitely do.

Autopsy Room Four: This one's a five star for me. I've never been entertained by such a short story before.

The Man In The Black Suit: That's more like 2.5 instead of 3 stars. It wasn't
Dave Moore
I kept picking this up & reading a tale or two at a time. Each time I did this, I was struck by the way in which King brings a certain quality to his writing that just plain makes him better than most. He brings a certain assumption of the intelligence of his readers and gives us credit for being able to pick up the dark humor, the allusions, and the ironies he weaves. He has a unique ability to construct setting and characters so quickly and seamlessly that we have an instant picture in ou ...more
Wayne Barrett
"Any fool who can pucker is apt to whistle past the graveyard."

There were times when this book felt more like a trip through the Twilight Zone with Rod Sterling than the usual horror I expect from King (although there was still plenty of that as well).
Stephen has really showed his mastery of the short story in this collection. They say fiction is stranger than truth and there are times when King (and I see the little smirk on his face) seems to imply that what he is giving us is just a make bel
I haven't read much King, this is actually only the second book I've read by him (the first being Gunslinger). I've always wanted to get into him though, and I think this was the perfect book to start with. Fourteen short stories, a King smorgasbord, so to speak. Some I loved, some I just liked, some just weren't my thing - but overall it was a great collection. Every one was well written, and even if a story wasn't my favorite, I still found myself enjoying it. Highly recommended, and I'll defi ...more
Ben Charette
This being my first short story collection by Mr. King, I will score each story individually, and average them together (for those of you who aren't keen with math, that means I'll add them up and divide by the number of stories - in this case fourteen). In order:
(note: asterisks ***means spoilers)

Autopsy Room Four: 3
I know, Four is in the title, but somehow I still give it a 3. This story was a good example of fun old horror (and I don't actually mean fun). A man is trapped in his soon-to-be-di
Yet another example of why I love Stephen King. Every story in this book was great. King's ability to write like he's speaking only to YOU is one of my favorite things about him. You get the feeling that he's telling you a secret, letting you in on some amazing observation of life, without him needing to spell every D-E-T-A-I-L out in big bold block letters. But that's not to say that this isn't detailed - his work always is. It's just not condescendingly detailed. You may think that he is verbo ...more
Robert Beveridge
Stephen King, Everything's Eventual (Scribner, 2002)

Rumors of Stephen King's demise have been greatly exaggerated. 2002 is gearing up to be another highly productive year for King, and he starts us off with his first short story collection since 1993, Everything's Eventual. It sure is nice to know that King doesn't feel the need to turn everything into a novel, and while his short stories have gotten longer, they still pack the punch that the early tales did. However, they pack it in a more lite
I've been reading a story or two at a time from this collection on nights when I want a little King and I can't get to sleep when I would like to. King has the tendency to be able to take you away from your circumstances, whatever they might be, even for a little while. Whether it's with his short stories or what some Constant Reader's call his “door-stopper” novels, King pulls you in and makes you care about the characters he's drawn. With some writers the characters aren't much more than words ...more
Franco  Santos
Buen libro de relatos de King. Muchos son malos, sin embargo hay cuales son buenos.

Los que más me agradaron son Sala de Autopsias Número 4, que es el primer cuento y, para mí, el mejor. Otro que me gustó mucho es Las Hermanitas de Eluria; fue muy lindo reencontrarme con Roland. Ideal para fanáticos de la saga de La Torre Oscura. Montando en la Bala, historia que había leído antes, tambien es muy buena.

Por el otro lado, La Moneda de la Suerte no sé si no lo entendí o qué, pero me pareció malísim
We all know, S.King has a rich imagination, and he is a master. He knows how to tell stories. This collection is captivating. Not that I liked every story, naturally, that's why I gave it 4 stars.
And these I liked the most:

Autopsy Room Four
The Man in the Black Suit (a horrific tale, convincing in every detail)
Everything's Eventual
Quella sensazione che puoi dire soltanto in francese: 3,5/5
1408: 1\5
Riding the bullet- Passaggio per il nulla: 4,5/5
La moneta portafortuna: 2,5/5

Pur avendo attribuito tre stelline come a Incubi e deliri,
Jonathan Janz
*This review was originally published on my blog ( and focuses on the story "The Road Virus Heads North" (though I've read the whole collection and certainly believe it's worthy of five stars). Here's the link:

Stephen King's Everything's Eventual is loaded with great stories. In addition to the one I'm about to discuss, the collection contains "1408," "Lunch at the Gotham Cafe," and a cool entry into the Dark Tower canon called "T
I have seriously come to wish for a book of King's that I don't like. Really now, my obsession reaches higher measures with every freaking page.

Short stories - aren't they delightful? Little "kisses in the dark from a stranger", as Stephen calls them. They are the binding of the literary world; they were here first and the world will probably end in a short story. Just sayin'.

I confess, I did a bit of cheating. Because I am a big fan of The Dark Tower series, I had read The Little Sisters of E
Lala BooksandLala

That Feeling, The One You Can Only Say What it is in French

Riding the Bullet

Luckey Quarter
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
Stephen King can describe things so that you can see them, smell them, taste them as he would have you know exactly what he is telling you. Great stories.
Bark's Book Nonsense
I listened to a few of these stories in audio format.

The first story “The Man In The Black Suit” tells a dark edged tale laced with grief that centers around a young boy and his fear of losing his Mom. Out fishing one day the boy has a run-in with the devil who attempts to take advantage of his fear. It manages to be creepy, funny and heartbreaking and the characters come to vivid life. This is a story I’ll be rereading before passing along.

Next up is "All That You Love Will Be Carried Away" abo
Awesome re-read. This might have even been better the second time around. Actually, I've read several of the stories more than that, from other collections or audiobooks or whatnot.

Favorites: "The Man in the Black Suit", "LT's Theory of Pets", "All That You Love Will Be Carried Away", "Everything's Eventual", and "The Little Sisters of Eluria".

The only story I didn't much like was "That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is In French". It wasn't horrible, just didn't do it for me.

"The Death of Ja
Jan 02, 2009 I.haveanidea rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Autopsy Room 4: Hilarious, and really well written. But...just hilarious.

The Man in the Black Suit: Really cool and well written, if anything keeps you up at night.

All That You Love Will Be Carried Away: REALLY great little story, up to the climatic point and every little detail preceding it. I don't remember if he dies or not (or it doesn't say), but any of those things would still make it great.

The Death of Jack Hamilton: This book just keeps on giving with this one, a short little "biography"
I can remember reading a critical appreciation of King once (Lord knows where, and Google ain't being much help this morning) that opined he was actually a stronger short story writer than a novelist. I'm not sure I'd entirely agree with that, but the very nature of the short story means that King avoids what I often find his biggest flaw - namely his long windedness.

To be honest I only read 13 out of the 14 offerings in Everything's Eventual - I have no interest in The Dark Tower and so skipped
Feb 09, 2011 Milan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Stephen King, horror fans
My first thought after turning the last page: no afterword, Mr. King? I want an afterword!

There are two Dark Tower related stories in the collection - The Little Sisters of Eluria and Everything's Eventual. I reviewed the former here.

As of Everything's Eventual, it's about Dinky Earnshaw, remember him from the The Dark Tower #7? He's one of the Breakers who appears as a mail assassin in this short story. To be honest, I liked the narrative of this story the best. Dinky has a boring life (apart f
Auntie J
Collection of short stories. "1408" was made into a movie.

I tend to avoid short stories. And I stopped reading Stephen King after a succession of books - Misery, Thinner, The Stand, It, Needful Things, Pet Sematary - I thought were just not as good as his earlier books.

But I found out the movie "1408" was based on a Stephen King short story. When a movie is based on a book, I like to read the book first. But since I'd missed that, and I liked the movie, I wanted to read the story. I found it su
Este libro fue el primero que leí de Stephen King, y gracias a los 3 cuentos que me gustaron es que volví a leerlo, porque si hubiera sido por los que no me gustaron...King estaría desterrado de mi mundo por siempre.

El cuento inicial, Sala de autopsias número 4 es fantastico, una premisa que hemos visto muchas veces, pero la manera en que resuelven el relato fue increiblemente graciosa...

Las Hermanitas de Eluria, hasta hace poco me entere que esta relacionado con la Torre Oscura es un pequeño cu
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really think that some of Stephen King's best writing is his short stories. They are like crack to me, once I start reading, I have to keep reading one after another. It's like he really knows how to pack a punch in fifty pages or so. Now as it goes with any short story collection, there were some I liked more than others. My favorites included: "The Little Sisters of Eluria" (hello Dark Tower!), "Everything's Eventual," "The Road Virus Heads North," ...more
Stephen King Fans: Everything's Eventual 13 88 May 31, 2015 12:16PM
Writing blogs - Compilation book reviews? 3 14 May 12, 2015 09:18AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Everything Eventual by Stephen King 2 14 Mar 09, 2015 06:44AM
Goodreads Librari...: Description in wrong language 3 18 Mar 04, 2015 05:54PM
How is this Book? 8 43 Feb 09, 2015 05:28PM
So far I am hooked ... 41 147 Jul 04, 2013 08:23PM
  • Blaze
  • Night Visions 5
  • The Inhuman Condition  (Books of Blood #4)
  • Nightmare At 20,000 Feet: Horror Stories
  • Three-Ten to Yuma and Other Stories
  • The Collection
  • Poe's Children: The New Horror
  • Nocturnes
More about Stephen King...

“This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six!"
"Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four!"
"Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight!"
"Six!' the phone screamed. 'Six, this is six, this is goddam fucking SIX!
“Black as night and as beautiful as forever.” 18 likes