Start by marking “Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales” as Want to Read:
Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales

Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales (Everything's Eventual #1-14)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  60,240 Ratings  ·  1,438 Reviews
A collection of stories, Everything’s Eventual includes one O. Henry Prize winner, two other award winners, four stories published by The New Yorker, and “Riding the Bullet,” King’s original ebook, which attracted over half a million online readers and became the most famous short story of the decade.

“Riding the Bullet,” published here on paper for the first time, is the s
Published May 1st 2007 by Gallery Books (first published March 19th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Everything's Eventual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything's Eventual

Melki
"Yet for me, there are few pleasures so excellent as sitting in my favorite chair on a cold night with a hot cup of tea, listening to the wind outside and reading a good story which I can complete in a single sitting."
Stephen King, from his introduction

I genuinely looked forward to reading one of these tales each day, and that's the highest praise I can give a collection of short stories.
Edward Lorn
As with all of Stephen King’s collections, I’m giving each story a one-sentence review. Before we begin, I would like to say a few things that have little to do with this book’s contents. If you do not care for personal stories in reviews, you should take this chance to move along, or you may scroll past the next few paragraphs. But I hope you’ll join me. Maybe my story will help someone who doesn’t know they need help.

While listening to this one (I chose the audiobook for this reread), I tried
Kandice
May 29, 2015 Kandice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm always amazed at how varied his subjects can be. He is certainly not "just" a horror writer.

05/2015

Introduction 5 stars. I love King and when he is brutally honest (when is he not?) I love him all the more.

Autopsy Room 4 4 stars I've actually seen the AHP episode that inspired this and Cotton was amazing. I love that only King could mention Michael Bolton and then bring up the fact that Percy is probably rolling in his grave at Bolton's rendition of "When a Man Loves a Woman". This story is
Nandakishore Varma
Dec 21, 2015 Nandakishore Varma rated it liked it
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times... and I'll say it again. Steve King is a fantastic storyteller, and very few of his stories have actually bored me. It is the same with this collection.

That said, very few of the stories here are actually frightening. Some give a mild sense of unease, that's all. However, almost all of them are readable and most are highly enjoyable.

My personal favourites were That Feeling, The One You Can Only Say What it is in French, In the Deathroom and Ri
Christian Guzman
There’s no doubt that Stephen King is great at writing short stories. Not all of the ones that were in this book were appealing to me, but several were. A couple of them were creepy in my opinion, so it may not be a wise idea to read them at night. My favorite ones were: Autopsy Room Four, The Man in the Black Suit, Everything’s Eventual, L.T’s Theory of Pets, and The Road Virus Heads North. I only disliked a few, but not because they were bad, they just did not catch my attention. One of the th ...more
Joca
Oct 24, 2015 Joca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Primeiro contacto que tive com contos do autor e adorei a experiência! Ando a apreciar cada vez mais a leitura de contos porque muitas vezes estou demasiado cansada para me investir num romance de 300 páginas e os contos acabam por ser algo mais leve, embora o conteúdo destes de Stephen King não o seja de todo mas vocês percebem!

Claro que gostei mais de uns do que de outros, mas no geral dou 4 estrelas ao livro. A capacidade que o autor tem para contar histórias foi sem dúvida o ponto mais posit
Walt
Nov 28, 2008 Walt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those with open minds who love horror and loudness.
Recommended to Walt by: Brian Osborne
Hanna
This was a nice read, but not what I'd call very entertaining. I know for sure that the first half was better than the second one. While I met some very favourite short stories, it was full of duds. But the thing is, even the bad books aren't so horrible. So I think I recommend this. I think I definitely do.

Autopsy Room Four: This one's a five star for me. I've never been entertained by such a short story before.

The Man In The Black Suit: That's more like 2.5 instead of 3 stars. It wasn't
Dave Moore
Nov 14, 2012 Dave Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I kept picking this up & reading a tale or two at a time. Each time I did this, I was struck by the way in which King brings a certain quality to his writing that just plain makes him better than most. He brings a certain assumption of the intelligence of his readers and gives us credit for being able to pick up the dark humor, the allusions, and the ironies he weaves. He has a unique ability to construct setting and characters so quickly and seamlessly that we have an instant picture in ou ...more
Jaro
A strong collections of stories. I liked it better than both Bazaar and Sunset. King has such a firm grasp on the Voice and Tone of his characters. My favorites were those stories told in the first person: "The Man in the Black Suit", "Everything's Eventual", "Lunch at the Gotham Café", and "Riding the Bullet". I was surprised by "The Little Sisters of Eluria" which has a sort of sword and sorcery feel to it that I really liked.
Dawn
Oct 03, 2010 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read much King, this is actually only the second book I've read by him (the first being Gunslinger). I've always wanted to get into him though, and I think this was the perfect book to start with. Fourteen short stories, a King smorgasbord, so to speak. Some I loved, some I just liked, some just weren't my thing - but overall it was a great collection. Every one was well written, and even if a story wasn't my favorite, I still found myself enjoying it. Highly recommended, and I'll defi ...more
Wayne Barrett
"Any fool who can pucker is apt to whistle past the graveyard."

There were times when this book felt more like a trip through the Twilight Zone with Rod Sterling than the usual horror I expect from King (although there was still plenty of that as well).
Stephen has really showed his mastery of the short story in this collection. They say fiction is stranger than truth and there are times when King (and I see the little smirk on his face) seems to imply that what he is giving us is just a make bel
Roviragrao
Hace muchos años que leí los otros libros de relatos de King, pero creo que eran mejores, al menos ese es el recuerdo que tengo.

Hay algunos momentos que me han gustado mucho, pero en general los relatos no me han enganchado como en otras ocasiones.
Ben Charette
Jan 23, 2012 Ben Charette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This being my first short story collection by Mr. King, I will score each story individually, and average them together (for those of you who aren't keen with math, that means I'll add them up and divide by the number of stories - in this case fourteen). In order:
(note: asterisks ***means spoilers)

Autopsy Room Four: 3
I know, Four is in the title, but somehow I still give it a 3. This story was a good example of fun old horror (and I don't actually mean fun). A man is trapped in his soon-to-be-di
Becky
Yet another example of why I love Stephen King. Every story in this book was great. King's ability to write like he's speaking only to YOU is one of my favorite things about him. You get the feeling that he's telling you a secret, letting you in on some amazing observation of life, without him needing to spell every D-E-T-A-I-L out in big bold block letters. But that's not to say that this isn't detailed - his work always is. It's just not condescendingly detailed. You may think that he is verbo ...more
Robert Beveridge
Stephen King, Everything's Eventual (Scribner, 2002)

Rumors of Stephen King's demise have been greatly exaggerated. 2002 is gearing up to be another highly productive year for King, and he starts us off with his first short story collection since 1993, Everything's Eventual. It sure is nice to know that King doesn't feel the need to turn everything into a novel, and while his short stories have gotten longer, they still pack the punch that the early tales did. However, they pack it in a more lite
Franco  Santos
Buen libro de relatos de King. Muchos son malos, sin embargo hay cuales son buenos.

Los que más me agradaron son Sala de Autopsias Número 4, que es el primer cuento y, para mí, el mejor. Otro que me gustó mucho es Las Hermanitas de Eluria; fue muy lindo reencontrarme con Roland. Ideal para fanáticos de la saga de La Torre Oscura. Montando en la Bala, historia que había leído antes, tambien es muy buena.

Por el otro lado, La Moneda de la Suerte no sé si no lo entendí o qué, pero me pareció malísim
Alissa
Aug 09, 2014 Alissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
I've been reading a story or two at a time from this collection on nights when I want a little King and I can't get to sleep when I would like to. King has the tendency to be able to take you away from your circumstances, whatever they might be, even for a little while. Whether it's with his short stories or what some Constant Reader's call his “door-stopper” novels, King pulls you in and makes you care about the characters he's drawn. With some writers the characters aren't much more than words ...more
Sergei
Jun 29, 2015 Sergei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We all know, S.King has a rich imagination, and he is a master. He knows how to tell stories. This collection is captivating. Not that I liked every story, naturally, that's why I gave it 4 stars.
And these I liked the most:

Autopsy Room Four
The Man in the Black Suit (a horrific tale, convincing in every detail)
Everything's Eventual
Quella sensazione che puoi dire soltanto in francese: 3,5/5
1408: 1\5
Riding the bullet- Passaggio per il nulla: 4,5/5
La moneta portafortuna: 2,5/5

Pur avendo attribuito tre stelline come a Incubi e deliri,
Jonathan Janz
May 21, 2013 Jonathan Janz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*This review was originally published on my blog (http://jonathanjanz.com) and focuses on the story "The Road Virus Heads North" (though I've read the whole collection and certainly believe it's worthy of five stars). Here's the link: http://jonathanjanz.com/2011/10/08/th...

Stephen King's Everything's Eventual is loaded with great stories. In addition to the one I'm about to discuss, the collection contains "1408," "Lunch at the Gotham Cafe," and a cool entry into the Dark Tower canon called "T
Lala BooksandLala

That Feeling, The One You Can Only Say What it is in French

Riding the Bullet

Luckey Quarter
Adam Light
King is one of the masters of the short form. Nuff said.
Ana
I have seriously come to wish for a book of King's that I don't like. Really now, my obsession reaches higher measures with every freaking page.

Short stories - aren't they delightful? Little "kisses in the dark from a stranger", as Stephen calls them. They are the binding of the literary world; they were here first and the world will probably end in a short story. Just sayin'.

I confess, I did a bit of cheating. Because I am a big fan of The Dark Tower series, I had read The Little Sisters of E
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
Stephen King can describe things so that you can see them, smell them, taste them as he would have you know exactly what he is telling you. Great stories.
Chris
Awesome re-read. This might have even been better the second time around. Actually, I've read several of the stories more than that, from other collections or audiobooks or whatnot.

Favorites: "The Man in the Black Suit", "LT's Theory of Pets", "All That You Love Will Be Carried Away", "Everything's Eventual", and "The Little Sisters of Eluria".

The only story I didn't much like was "That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is In French". It wasn't horrible, just didn't do it for me.

"The Death of Ja
Bark's Book Nonsense
Jan 14, 2010 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, horror
I listened to a few of these stories in audio format.

The first story “The Man In The Black Suit” tells a dark edged tale laced with grief that centers around a young boy and his fear of losing his Mom. Out fishing one day the boy has a run-in with the devil who attempts to take advantage of his fear. It manages to be creepy, funny and heartbreaking and the characters come to vivid life. This is a story I’ll be rereading before passing along.

Next up is "All That You Love Will Be Carried Away" abo
Nelvi
Jan 17, 2015 Nelvi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I.haveanidea
Jan 02, 2009 I.haveanidea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Autopsy Room 4: Hilarious, and really well written. But...just hilarious.

The Man in the Black Suit: Really cool and well written, if anything keeps you up at night.

All That You Love Will Be Carried Away: REALLY great little story, up to the climatic point and every little detail preceding it. I don't remember if he dies or not (or it doesn't say), but any of those things would still make it great.

The Death of Jack Hamilton: This book just keeps on giving with this one, a short little "biography"
F.R.
Jun 27, 2014 F.R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can remember reading a critical appreciation of King once (Lord knows where, and Google ain't being much help this morning) that opined he was actually a stronger short story writer than a novelist. I'm not sure I'd entirely agree with that, but the very nature of the short story means that King avoids what I often find his biggest flaw - namely his long windedness.

To be honest I only read 13 out of the 14 offerings in Everything's Eventual - I have no interest in The Dark Tower and so skipped
Around the Year i...: Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales, by Stephen King 1 11 Apr 21, 2016 07:08PM
Books2Movies Club: 2016/01 - 1408 2 11 Jan 19, 2016 10:03PM
Stephen King Fans: Everything's Eventual 13 97 May 31, 2015 12:16PM
Writing blogs - Compilation book reviews? 3 16 May 12, 2015 09:18AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Everything Eventual by Stephen King 2 15 Mar 09, 2015 06:44AM
Goodreads Librari...: Description in wrong language 3 18 Mar 04, 2015 05:54PM
How is this Book? 8 46 Feb 09, 2015 05:28PM
  • The Bachman Books
  • Night Visions 5
  • Dark Tower: The Gunslinger: The Little Sisters of Eluria
  • The Collection
  • In the Flesh (Books of Blood #5)
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume One
  • 20th Century Ghosts
  • Duel: Terror Stories
  • Strange Highways
  • He Is Legend: An Anthology Celebrating Richard Matheson
  • Magic Terror
  • Stephen King Illustrated Companion Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror
  • Alfred Hitchcock's Ghostly Gallery
  • From the Borderlands: Stories of Terror and Madness (Borderlands, # 5)
  • 999: Twenty-nine Original Tales of Horror and Suspense
  • Best New Horror 21 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #21)
  • My Favorite Horror Story
More about Stephen King...

Everything's Eventual (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Autopsy Room Four
  • The Man in the Black Suit
  • All That You Love Will Be Carried Away
  • The Death of Jack Hamilton
  • In the Death Room
  • The Little Sisters of Eluria (The Dark Tower, #0.5)
  • Everything's Eventual (Short Story)
  • LT's Theory of Pets
  • The Road Virus Heads North
  • Lunch im Gotham Café: Story aus Im Kabinett des Todes (Story Selection 8)

“This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six!"
[...]
"Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four!"
[...]
"Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight!"
[...]
"Six!' the phone screamed. 'Six, this is six, this is goddam fucking SIX!
23 likes