Start by marking “Swords of Eveningstar (Forgotten Realms: Knights of Myth Drannor, #1)” as Want to Read:
Swords of Eveningstar (Forgotten Realms: Knights of Myth Drannor, #1)

Swords of Eveningstar (Forgotten Realms: Knights of Myth Drannor #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  551 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The paperback release of an exciting new book by the creator of the Forgotten Realms!

After they saved his life, the king grants Florin and his friends what they've always dreamed of: an adventure! But the "adventure" proves a little more difficult then the newly named Swords of Eveningstar had thought it would be. Scions of evil from across the Realms manipulate the Swords
Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Published June 12th 2007 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Swords of Eveningstar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swords of Eveningstar

Shadowdale by Scott CiencinDarkwalker on Moonshae by Douglas NilesAzure Bonds by Jeff GrubbDissolution by Richard Lee ByersPool of Radiance by James M. Ward
Forgotten Realms 22222
28th out of 54 books — 15 voters
Homeland by R.A. SalvatoreThe Dark Elf Trilogy Collector's Edition by R.A. SalvatoreThe Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition by R.A. SalvatoreThe Halfling's Gem by R.A. SalvatoreDissolution by Richard Lee Byers
Best Forgotten Realms Novels
92nd out of 123 books — 93 voters

More lists with this book...

Stefan Yates
I hadn't read any Forgotten Realms books in years, so when I saw this one on the 50 cent cart I thought that I would give it a shot.

While it wasn't bad, I can definitely see why it was only 50 cents. I'll need to re-read some of the older Forgotten Realms novels before I pass judgement on the entire setting of novels, but if this is the track that the newer novels have gone, I'm not thrilled.

My biggest criticisms of the book are that instead of feeling like a novel, a lot of the time it just fe
Trollhoer
The novel, more than any other novel I've read from Ed, highlights what makes him such an excellent storyteller, game world creator and (I can only imagine) great Dungeon Master. If you are, like I am, a passionate role-player who sees the intriguing beauty of adventure role-play, then this novel (and most likely the entire series) is for you. However, I would also recommend this novel for anyone just starting out with The Forgotten Realms as it could serve as fine introduction, not only because ...more
James
Jul 27, 2011 James added it
Linguistically, it is a near-masterpiece. Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms in which dozens of writers weave their own stories, writes an average story with delectable parlance. He may have coined more words in this book than an average short work of Shakespeare. It made the world alive in a way that few have matched, yet at the same time an almost impossible read to the Forgotten Realms novice.

The first half of the book had a fair plot, though it devolved as the pages turned. Florin Fa
Brenda Cothern
Note this review is for all three books (Swords of Eveningstar, Swords of Dragonfire, The Sword Never Sleeps)in the series.

Ed Greenwood is not only the creator of the Forgotten Realms, in 1975, but a legendary giant in the word of fantasy. Mostly known for his Elminster books in the Realms, Greenwood has written hundreds of books, articles, and fantasy games. Greenwood’s books are full of detail, sometimes to the point of being confusing for readers, and can not be read lightly or considered “li
Maurizio Vicedomini
Da: http://www.mauriziovicedomini.helioho...

Fantasy Classico. Siamo nei Forgotten Realms (più classico di così si muore), e il bardo in questione è Ed Greenwood, con I Cavalieri di Myth Drannor. L’autore è, ricordiamolo, il creatore dell’ambientazione e il “padre” di uno dei maghi più famosi di sempre, Elminster.

Le Spade di Eveningstar è il primo di due libri, e racconta le vicende di un giovane gruppo di avventurieri nel regno di Cormyr. Vediamo la trama.

“Florin Falconhand ha sempre desiderato
Michael Smith
A very fun start to a series that begins with some low level characters that slowly progress. To me, it reads like a dungeons and dragons adventure campaign more than an actual book at times. I find it unique and an absolutely good change of pace from reading about higher level characters you'll find in RA Salvatore, Lisa Smedman, or Thomas M. Reid's novels most of the time.

The writing takes a short time to get used to, maybe a chapter or two, as Ed uses a good bit of realm dialect in not only t
Christopher
Holly Wells
I got this book on recommendation from a great source. I enjoyed the story of the adventurers but there was a lot of court intrigue, and other politics involved. The adventurers actual activity took up maybe a quarter of the book content. There was also a lot of detail on people, places, and things I'm unfamiliar with - that is to say, not only am I introduced to new characters, a new world, new gods, new money, but the story line changes back and forth regularly and not always back to the same ...more
Robert
The following link http://beezermn.laethyn.com/is highly recommended for its review of this and other fantasy authors.

This book was like learning to drive a standard vehicle while trying to eat something and mess with your cell phone. It would jump fast and stop at break neck speeds and so much was going on it was too difficult to concentrate on any one thing.

-dimndbangr
John Michael
Okay, slow and slightly confusing what with the Realmspeak (and I am a Realms geeks who could probably find his way from Arabel to Mulmaster without a map) but the story gets good towards the end and I want to try the next installment but Greenwood builds a good world but isn't the best writer. Good paperback for the back pocket.
Sam
It was alright but not Ed Greenwood's best work, I'm afraid. It's a shame because I was really looking forward to the reading about the birth of the Knights of Myth Drannor - I've even tried to model adventuring companies in my games on them - but it just wasn't what I was expecting.

I still think Spellfire is his best.
Brenna
An amazing depiction of aspiring, then fledgling adventurers who will one day go on to be iconic heroes of Faerun. If you appreciate the role playing aspect gaming as I do, this is a must read.
Christopher Mcgurr
I had only 20 pages left and I couldn't finish. Too many characters, too much jumping around, not enough characterizations. I just couldn't take anymore.
Nick Wilson
Good story, well filled out characters and building nicely for the rest of the trilogy, unfortunately I found it a very hard read.
Fox
Ed Greenwood is one of my favourite authors of all time. I can't wait for the second book. I read this one in one day.
Isabelrt
Definitely not in my personal list of "best fantasy". Not even in the "quite ok list"
Lynne
I liked this book. It is a cliff hanger for the next book.
Jari Metsälä
Not the best from Greenwood but still enjoyable.
Michael Tharp
Michael Tharp is currently reading it
Dec 19, 2014
  • Lady of Poison (Forgotten Realms: The Priests, #1)
  • Frostfell (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #4)
  • The Gossamer Plain (Forgotten Realms: The Empyrean Odyssey, #1)
  • Blackstaff Tower (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep #1)
  • Forsaken House (Forgotten Realms: The Last Mythal, #1)
  • Neversfall (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #1)
  • The Lost Library of Cormanthyr (Forgotten Realms: Lost Empires, #1)
  • The Shield of Weeping Ghosts (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #3)
  • Queen of the Depths (Forgotten Realms: The Priests, #4)
  • Crypt of the Moaning Diamond (Forgotten Realms: The Dungeons, #4)
  • Depths of Madness (Forgotten Realms: The Dungeons, #1)
  • Whisper of Waves (Forgotten Realms: Watercourse, #1)
  • Mistress of the Night (Forgotten Realms: The Priests, #2)
  • Sword Play (Forgotten Realms: Netheril, #1)
  • Giants Among Us (Forgotten Realms: Twilight Giants, #2)
  • Black Wolf (Sembia #4)
  • Master of Chains (Forgotten Realms: The Fighters, #1)
20513
Ed Greenwood is the creator of the Forgotten Realms fantasy world, which became the setting for his home D&D game in 1975. Play still continues in this long-running campaign, and Ed also keeps busy producing Realmslore for various TSR publications.

Ed has published over two hundred articles in Dragon magazine and Polyhedron newszine, is a lifetime charter member of the Role Playing Game Associa
More about Ed Greenwood...
Elminster: The Making of a Mage (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #1) Elminster in Myth Drannor (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #2) Spellfire (Shandril's Saga #1) The Temptation of Elminster (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #3) Crown of Fire (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #9; Shandril's Saga, #2)