Start by marking “Arizona Dreams” as Want to Read:
Arizona Dreams

Arizona Dreams (David Mapstone Mystery #4)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When a former student turns up in David Mapstone's office, she seems to have the perfect case for this history-professor-turned-deputy: a letter left by her deceased father, confessing to a forty-year-old murder and providing directions to the body. But things are never what they seem in Phoenix, a fast-buck city of newcomers seeking fresh starts from sometimes dark pasts. ...more
Published May 27th 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published September 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Arizona Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arizona Dreams

george burns
Unfortunate Changes

This the fourth book in a series built on two interesting themes. The protagonist is a former history professor turned deputy specializing in cold cases. The second theme is the changing and turbulent nature of Arizona. Although, the second theme continues to flourish, the first is fading. Mapstone is now involved in current cases with the emphasis on violence. Meanwhile, his personal life is becoming more intrusive. It is fine for a man to love his wife, but the fact and the
Elizabeth
This one ends on a very bitter note. Surprisingly so.

David Mapstone is approached by a former student who discovered a letter written by her father before he died confessing to killing someone in 1966. The letter gives directions on how to find the body but doesn't say who the dead man was.

But no one is who they seem in this story. There are lies and secrets on lies and secrets. I didn't realize how personal all those lies and secrets were to the author until the end. If I were someone who pai
Carl Brookins
David Mapstone is an unusual protagonist. He used to be a history professor. After he moved to Arizona, he became a county deputy sheriff. Now he’s married to a wonderful woman who is also a deputy. Together they go through life having interesting adventures and an occasional married squabble.

In the present adventure, their fourth, I believe, an ex student of Mapstone’s, a woman who professes a long-ago crush on David, shows up in his office with a letter apparently written by her dead father. I
Terri
Still enjoying this series. It is interesting to read about how Phoenix has changed in the last 30-40 years (when I lived there). The author goes back even further and tells a lot of the history and how the city has changed from farm land to the large city that is filled with people, yet has no industry that would enable the city to sustain itself. And still, the developers keep expanding, keep building, while the temperature goes up, and the water sources decline.

This is a mystery (fiction) ser
Thom Malone
I love mysteries, and I love it when I find a series that I am interested in. I love to the continued adventures of the same characters. this one was specially enjoyable because it takes place in Phoenix, where I have lived the past 12 years. even some of the events that are happening during the book I remember as real events, like the gas pipeline break that caused us to have long gas lines during its repair.... it is well written and a very enjoyable mystery.
Casceil
Well-written mystery with a lot of Arizona flavor.
Sheila
This was the first Jon Talton book that I have encountered and I really liked it. Based in Phoenix it is an involved story surrounding land speculation and the tremendous amount of growth in that area of the country. Corrupt politicians, sneaky behind closed doors deals and murder. This story had a little bit of everything. A great read. I give it ★★★★’s.
Barbara B.
Such fun reading a really good story that takes place in your own back yard!! This author used to report for the local paper. Now the series he writes all take place in Phoenix and surrounding areas. Not only are the on-going characters very likable, it's fun to be able to picture right where the action takes place.
Jessica
Mar 27, 2007 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people from az who still like it
Talton's books are entertaining mysteries, but unless you're from AZ, and more specifically Phoenix, several of the references might seem random. If you're from AZ and you like mysteries, though, this is perfect for you.
Zac
It was alright. It was fun that it was set in Phoenix, so I knew a lot about what he was referencing. The language was bad, and I still don't know if I understand the ending. I can't decide if it was really worth it.
Elizabeth
The Phoenix atmosphere is very well done. Talton's fear for the changes that are happening in the city is very well projected. The historical back story elevates the story to a new level.
Kristen
This is the first book I've read of the series, mainly out of order. It's a good mystery with nice settings of Arizona and a good main character. An enjoyable read.
John Burmaster
The personal relations between the characters, while important to the story, sometimes got to the point of too much navel gazing, which slowed things down.
Charles
I like reading about Mapstone
Mary
Mary is currently reading it
Dec 19, 2014
Ann Trotter
Ann Trotter marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jon Talton is the author of the David Mapstone novels, which follow the adventures of a historian-turned-deputy, working the mean streets of the urban West.

Jon's first novel, "Concrete Desert," was hailed by Kirkus as "an impressive debut." The Washington Post said it "is more intelligent and rewarding than most contemporary mysteries." The series has continued with "Camelback Falls," "Dry Heat,"
More about Jon Talton...
Concrete Desert The Pain Nurse: A Cincinnati Casebook  (Will Borders #1) Camelback Falls Deadline Man South Phoenix Rules