Start by marking “Tempting Evil (Prison Break Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tempting Evil (Prison Break Trilogy, #2)

Tempting Evil (Prison Break Trilogy #2)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,428 ratings  ·  57 reviews
BIG DIE COUNTRY

Joanna Sutton can cope with the fierce winter storm bearing down on the small rural community of Centennial Valley, Montana; the popular romance writer has survived much worse in life. Haunted by the loss of her husband and child, Jo has found refuge at her family’s secluded lodge, but her haven soon becomes a hell. During the ferocious blizzard, a local Boy
Published May 20th 2008 by Ballantine Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Tempting Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tempting Evil

Gina
It actually didn’t take that long to read this one. I had started it on Friday, but because I picked up my copy of Acheron, that one was more important. However, when I finally picked this one back up on Monday, it was damn near unputdownable!

Brennan has a way of writing in descriptions: whether scenery or character development, you get a complete picture of it all.

Joanna still hasn’t gotten over the death of her husband and nine-year-old son four years earlier. While she shows a brave front for
Keri
This was a very solid romantic suspense. The suspense was well done. It did drag a bit there at the end, but only because I was ready for the bad guy to get his in the end. The romance was there and was a common thread throughout the book, but stayed in the background except right there in the end. It was still good, but more satisfied my want for a suspense more then it did for romance. This is a apart of the trilogy, but I think the books are more connected to the title then anything to do wit ...more
Pamela
I’ve read a few of Brennan’s books and they can be hits or misses. This one leans more towards the latter. First off, I have to mention that the hero and heroine were really dull as they had little to no chemistry. The romance between the two (what little there was) was a yawn-fest. I was ready to hurl if I had to read once more about how his kid was growing up to be a “young man.” The story itself sounded really good but as I kept reading, I found it to be repetitive, especially when it came to ...more
Jay Jessmer
Another good book from Ms. Brennan, but not a great one. The story itself is worthy of probably 4 stars, but the lack of connection I felt to the characters brought it down to 3 for me. I actually had a lot better read on the "killers" than the "heroes", as we were given deeper insight into their personas.
I was able to easily understand where Jo and Tyler were emotionally, having both lost their spouses(and Jo her son), but other than a couple of flashbacks, there really wasn't enough of a gli
Cheryl Meares
I tell ya, I really like Tyler and Jo's story. Jo is still grieving the loss of her son and husband from 4 years ago and that has been a wall between her and Tyler. An escaped convict is tracking Jo and is desparate to make her his and in an attempt to save Jo, Tyler will have to make some life changing decisions....lives will be lost and love will be found.

This is a great series, I can't wait for the next one.
Ingo
Started April 07th, 2014.
Too much romance, and I now see a pattern in the endings.
One nice sex-szene, very late in the book and for my taste also just too long, and more or less plain, with a massage if you are into such things, non-kinky.
Predictable, so only 3 stars.
Nice look in the head of two killers.
Will read something different before finishing with the "Prison Break" Trilogy.
If I am right, the later books from her are better, but maybe I just read to many back2back and in too little time.
Angela Blanco
Aug 11, 2009 Angela Blanco rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes reading about murder, suspense, thrillers, etc...
Samantha
This is the second book in the Prison Break Trilogy. You need to read the first book in the series, Killing Fear first. It sets the stage about how the prisoners got out and what they want to do. This book tells about an author who moved to Montana after her husband and son were murder. She has a prisoner that is obsessed with her and when he escapes wants to be with her. I thought this was a good book, however it definitely needed an editor. It was very stilted and repeative in parts. The story ...more
Meigan
This was just OK to me. It is the second installment in the Prison Break trilogy. I liked how it continued on where the first book left off. An earthquake made it possible for a number of inmates to escape from San Quentin. Some were caught, others were not. The bad guys in this one were ones (obviously) that were not apprehended.

The trio of inmates travel from California to Montana because the main bad guy, Aaron Doherty, is obsessed with Joanna Sutton, a romance novelist. She helps run the fa
Kristen
Tempting Evil is a romantic suspense novel and certainly lived up to the genre. Yes it is similar to others I've read, but the characters are so well written that I just love reading these books. Joanna Sutton and Tyler McBride are the main characters. Aaron Doherty and Hans Vigo are secondary characters. For me the characters couldn't get any more real. Aaron is convinced that Joanna loves him because she has written romance novels that he feels were only for him. When in reality she doesn't kn ...more
Pattianne
Tempting Evil - Prison Break Trilogy #2 - (Tyler & Joanna) - Joanna Sutton can cope with the fierce winter storm bearing down on the small rural community of Centennial Valley, Montana; the popular romance writer has survived much worse in life. Haunted by the loss of her husband and child, Jo has found refuge at her family?s secluded lodge, but her haven soon becomes a hell. During the ferocious blizzard, a local Boy Scout troop is stranded in the wilderness, compelling Jo to spearhead a de ...more
Marianne Stehr
a easy, quick read. it was a page turner with a good story line although predictable in some areas. good characters and a clear group of "root for" and "root against" read in one sitting at the beach
Karen
This has been one of my favorites of Allison Brennan. I have been reading her series in no particular order, which is a stretch for me as I am kind of a nut in making sure I always read series in order. I started out with her Lucy Kincaid series (which has me anxiously waiting for the next book always) and decided to delve into her past books. Reoccurring characters jump in and out of the books.

This book made me feel the wide open spaces and seclusion of the Montana Big Sky country. The villain
Dee
"Tempting Evil" by Allison Brennan Is set with a fierce winter storm bearing down on the small rural community of Centennial Valley Montanna .Its about a popular romance writer who suffered a great tradegy.She finds refuge at her family's secluded lodge, but her haven soon becomes hell when three Men brake out of prison and are heading her way! One of the men has an obsession for her because she writes books and he thinks they were writtin about him and her. He is determined to get her one way o ...more
Lizz
I'm not sure what went wrong with this book. I've really loved all her other ones, and found the balance of crime, mystery and romance to be about right. Something about this one was just.... off. Don't get me wrong, I love Allison Brennan, and her other books I have rated quite highly.... but this one.... eh...... I could never get into the characters, I just didn't CARE about how they ended up. Never good. I'm not about a third of the way into the #3 book in this trilogy and she seems to be ba ...more
Darcy
I both really liked this book as was super creeped out with this one. The way Aaron was, was just a little too real for me. I can see how a person could become this obsessed and start to live in their own little fantasy world.

I thought the story with Jo and Tyler was ok, but a little boring and predictable. I was more interested with the interaction between Jo and Jason. There was so much to explore with that relationship.

I also liked the relationship between Jo and Trixie. It is too bad that
Lori
Well, once again I found myself constantly feeling as though I missed the book that told of Tyler's life before moving to Montana. Putting that aside, I really bate to say this but this book was a real yawned! I could have read the first couple chapters and the last chapter and would have been fine. I'm not giving up on this author though. I've read some great books by her. Everyone is allowed a few drainers. I've already purchased the last book in the prison break series so I'm hoping she saved ...more
Lauren
Maybe I've read too many Allison Brennan books this year, maybe I just couldn't get into our hero and heroine. I don't know.

So far Aaron is the most whiny and pathetic villain of any of her books. Usually they're so diabolical or fatally flawed, or inhumanly murderous. Aaron was just a pathetic loser. Usualy I'm stoked on the perversity of their actions. Not so with this one.

Add in the underwhelming (for me) romantic plot and I found myself right in the middle of the road.
Marti
improbably, the main character is a romance writer whose books appeal to one particular escaped convict, who with two others, has traveled from california in the dead of winter to montana where he means to make her his woman.

you can still have suspense and action even though some of the events and characters seem rather unlikely as actual persons. so this is a combination of romance and suspense which works on a certain level.
Amanda
I enjoyed this book so much it made me feel like a bad Mom who ignored her kid for an entire morning. Using excuses such as, one more chapter or one more coffee (as if that was such a bright idea). Luckily my kid likes to entertain himself. But yes, I would totally recommend this book. I love the imagery of the Valley, it made me want to be there, under different circumstances of course.
laura m
Jul 31, 2013 laura m rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: commuters.
weakest book so far, along with the first book she wrote - this is short and without any ups and downs, ends abruptly, no excitement, no guessing, just a chase for two guys througout the book.
I welcomed the lack of lewd moments, a premiere for the author, but was really disgusted with killing of animals near the end.
maybe she should stick with sex descriptions after all.
Ann
The plot was obviously well-thought out, with attention to all the what ifs and whys, however I ended up bored with the characters due to the author's endless explanations and background stories for even the lesser characters involved. I could only stick around for three quarters of the book, so I cannot recommend this one.

Amy
I got this book off the FREE Take one table at the library.
I needed a book that I could take to Lake Powell and not care if it got wet, sun , heat damage... So it was an ok story about an author who is stalked from this prison escapee etc..murder mystery type book..lots of yucky language had to skip some...not one to recommend.
Angie
I loved the fact that Allison surprised me with her concept of trilogy. These aren't books that continue a story, they are three turns on the same story. It was great. She is good at mixing in a little of the before book, good crime and a bit of sex. Reading last one now. Highly recommend.
Dawn ♥ romance
Good romantic suspense with lots of fast paced action. It was interesting how the plot jumped into the middle of the romance concentrating on the heroine's growth and hero's steadfastness. An escaped convict is obsessed with writer Jo and sheriff Tyler is trying to catch him.
Leigh Russell
I usually like Brennan's "suspense" books. I could have done without the explicit sex she felt compelled to include. I don't read "romance" for a reason. It wasn't necessary in this book. Otherwise I would have given it 3 stars.
Anita
this book was ok. I liked the visions created in my mind the most about montana. the storyline about the bad guy vs the heroine seemed somewhat stilted to me. I found it disappointing after liking the first one in this trilogy so much.
Nicole
While the story was good for characters (the main bad guy was freakin' scary), the plot drug on and on. I liked the plot, but I think it could have could have cut out 100 pages or so and been better off for it.
Lisa
Of the 8 books of Allison Brennan's that I have read, this one was been the only one I didn't put everything aside for. This one lacked something her other books had, but I can't quite figure out what it was.
  • Forgotten
  • Now You Die (Bullet Catcher, #6)
  • No One Left to Tell (No One, #2)
  • The Murder Game (Griffin Powell, #8)
  • Guns and Roses (Includes: PI Julie Collins; Bobbie Faye, #3.5; Rough Riders; Bullet Catcher; Shadow Stalkers, #3; Housewife Assassin)
  • In Seconds (Bulletproof, #2)
  • Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • Waking Evil (Mindhunters, #2)
  • Black at Heart (Black CATs, #3)
  • Count to Ten (Romantic Suspense, #6)
Allison Brennan is the New York Times bestselling and award-winning author of twenty romantic thrillers and many short stories. RT Book Reviews calls Allison “a master of suspense” and her books “haunting,” “mesmerizing,” “pulse-pounding” and “emotionally complex.” Lisa Gardner says, “Brennan knows how to deliver.”

The first book of the Maxine Revere investigative reporter series, NOTORIOUS, is av
More about Allison Brennan...
Speak No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #1) The Prey (Predator Trilogy, #1) See No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #2) Love Me to Death (Lucy Kincaid #1) Fear No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #3)