Start by marking “Deadman's Poker (Tony Valentine #6)” as Want to Read:
Deadman's Poker (Tony Valentine #6)

Deadman's Poker (Tony Valentine #6)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Tony Valentine is an expert at spotting cheats. He s tossed them out of gambling casinos from Atlantic City to Las Vegas and Monaco. But though Tony has never met a scam he couldn t crack, his son and partner, Gerry, has just walked into one with a body count.

What started with a conman s deathbed confession turns into a deadly Las Vegas grudge match during the world s bigg

Published April 25th 2006 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Deadman's Poker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadman's Poker

Jmrathbone
I had no idea this was a “to be continued” novel. I didn’t like the book so I will never know the ending because I won’t read any more of Swain’s books with gambling plots. Maybe Swain hasn’t spent a lot of time in Las Vegas. Some of what he says just isn’t true, e.g. there aren't any brothels in all of Clark County.
Dave
Rated 3 1/2 stars. Still a good series but the ending leaves you hanging which I assume will continue in the next book in the series
Barbara
Good story &. I learned lots about gambling frauds.
Zach
Okay. The thing that keeps this from being 4 stars is that similar to some other Swain novels, the ending is kind of left up in the air. Swain provides an intricate story and it seems like he is close to resolving it at the end, but then he does not follow through.

This novel otherwise worked well as Swain works with a couple different story lines. Especially entertaining is that of Rufus Daniels and is increasingly crazy proposition bets.
Caro
Very enjoyable read while spending a night in Las Vegas. Apparently it is one of two volumes, since the story ends, annoyingly, without an explanation of the big scam that's been teased since the first chapter. I like Tony Valentine enough to pursue part two.
Skip
Another Tony Valentine novel, with son Gerry getting into his usual trouble with boyhood friends from Atlantic City. Most of the excitement revolves around a blind poker player cheating in a Texas hold'em tournament.
Carolyn Rose
Not every book is for every reader and I put this one aside after about 100 pages. I founding the gambling scam interesting, but couldn't seem to connect with the characters.
Killercalico
This one is a two parter and I can't wait to get part two.
Tony Valentine does it again, cleaning up a poker tournament this time.
Carrie
This was my first James Swain book, thanks to my mom, it won't be my last. I enjoyed it a lot.
james
This series is always a snappy read and this book does not disappoint.
Tim
OUTSTANDING!!! One of the best novels I have read in 2006. 10 of 10 stars!
Chris
I enjoyed this novel and look forward to reading the sequel.
Dave
About gambling but sort of soft on accuracy
Jeff
Jeff added it
Jun 10, 2015
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
May 29, 2015
Robinson Giebiluka
Robinson Giebiluka marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Tracey Sunde
Tracey Sunde marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
M.K.
M.K. is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2015
Peridot
Peridot marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
  • The Renegades (Charlie Hood, #2)
  • Triggerfish Twist (Serge Storms, #4)
  • Thirteen Million Dollar Pop (Frank Behr, #3)
  • Dead Meat
  • The Betrayal Game (Mikhal Lammeck, #2)
  • American Hero
  • More Ghosts of Gettysburg: Spirits, Apparitions and Haunted Places of the Battlefield
  • The Death Pit
  • The Informant (Butcher's Boy, #3)
  • Warriors (The Conquest Trilogy, #2)
  • The Revenge Of Captain Paine (A Pyke Mystery, #2)
  • Law of Gravity
  • The Darkest Place
  • The Caretaker
  • Sudden Threat (Threat, #1)
  • Target
  • Secret Justice
  • Paris Requiem
James Swain is the national best selling author of seventeen mystery novels, and has been published in twelve different languages. His books have been chosen as Mysteries of the Year by Publisher’s Weekly and Kirkus Reviews, and have received three Barry Award nominations, a Florida Book Award for Fiction, and France’s prestigious Prix Calibre .38 for Best American Crime Fiction. Born in Huntingto ...more
More about James Swain...

Tony Valentine (9 books)
  • Grift Sense (Tony Valentine #1)
  • Funny Money (Tony Valentine #2)
  • Sucker Bet (Tony Valentine #3)
  • Loaded Dice (Tony Valentine #4)
  • Mr. Lucky (Tony Valentine #5)
  • Deadman's Bluff (Tony Valentine #7)
  • Jackpot (Tony Valentine #8)
  • Wild Card (Tony Valentine #0.5)
Midnight Rambler (Jack Carpenter #1) Grift Sense (Tony Valentine #1) Sucker Bet (Tony Valentine #3) The Night Stalker (Jack Carpenter #2) The Night Monster (Jack Carpenter #3)