Start by marking “Deadman's Poker (Tony Valentine #6)” as Want to Read:
Deadman's Poker (Tony Valentine #6)

Deadman's Poker (Tony Valentine #6)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  315 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Tony Valentine is an expert at spotting cheats. He s tossed them out of gambling casinos from Atlantic City to Las Vegas and Monaco. But though Tony has never met a scam he couldn t crack, his son and partner, Gerry, has just walked into one with a body count.

What started with a conman s deathbed confession turns into a deadly Las Vegas grudge match during the world s bigg

Published April 25th 2006 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Deadman's Poker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadman's Poker

James Thane
I've been a huge fan of James Swain's Tony Valentine series from the time the first book in the series, Grift Sense, was published. But the first time I read this entry, it really annoyed me and then it annoyed me all over again the second time around, even though I knew what was coming.

For those unfamiliar with the series, Valentine is an ex-cop from Atlantic City who retired and opened a firm called Grift Sense. Tony is a consultant who helps casinos combat "grifters" who attempt to cheat at c
Colby
Feb 13, 2016 Colby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little confused by the structure of the book since you would imagine the series would draw (no pun intended) people with experience and interest in the actual game being featured. It teased with that aspect but instead focused on guns, girls, and goons. Add in a deck of loose ends and this guilty pleasure read just wasn't a winner.
Caro
Mar 30, 2013 Caro rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable read while spending a night in Las Vegas. Apparently it is one of two volumes, since the story ends, annoyingly, without an explanation of the big scam that's been teased since the first chapter. I like Tony Valentine enough to pursue part two.
Killercalico
Aug 24, 2007 Killercalico rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is a two parter and I can't wait to get part two.
Tony Valentine does it again, cleaning up a poker tournament this time.
Carrie
Oct 15, 2012 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first James Swain book, thanks to my mom, it won't be my last. I enjoyed it a lot.
james
Jul 01, 2012 james rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is always a snappy read and this book does not disappoint.
Tim
Feb 05, 2013 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OUTSTANDING!!! One of the best novels I have read in 2006. 10 of 10 stars!
Chris
Apr 09, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this novel and look forward to reading the sequel.
Barbara
Aug 14, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story &. I learned lots about gambling frauds.
Jmrathbone
Mar 21, 2014 Jmrathbone rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea this was a “to be continued” novel. I didn’t like the book so I will never know the ending because I won’t read any more of Swain’s books with gambling plots. Maybe Swain hasn’t spent a lot of time in Las Vegas. Some of what he says just isn’t true, e.g. there aren't any brothels in all of Clark County.
Rho
Sep 24, 2015 Rho rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-fiction
Did not enjoy this book. Read part two first and enjoyed it. This story dragged with most of the supporting characters not like able or interesting.
Dave
Apr 09, 2015 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Rated 3 1/2 stars. Still a good series but the ending leaves you hanging which I assume will continue in the next book in the series
Zach
Okay. The thing that keeps this from being 4 stars is that similar to some other Swain novels, the ending is kind of left up in the air. Swain provides an intricate story and it seems like he is close to resolving it at the end, but then he does not follow through.

This novel otherwise worked well as Swain works with a couple different story lines. Especially entertaining is that of Rufus Daniels and is increasingly crazy proposition bets.
Skip
Jun 04, 2009 Skip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-detective
Another Tony Valentine novel, with son Gerry getting into his usual trouble with boyhood friends from Atlantic City. Most of the excitement revolves around a blind poker player cheating in a Texas hold'em tournament.
Carolyn Rose
Not every book is for every reader and I put this one aside after about 100 pages. I founding the gambling scam interesting, but couldn't seem to connect with the characters.
Juliet Howland
An enjoyable read, but a bit unsatisfying because almost none of the mysteries are solved. Instead, the plot continues in Deadman's bluff
Dave
Jan 24, 2008 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
About gambling but sort of soft on accuracy
Robbin
Robbin marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
JoAnn Parker
JoAnn Parker marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Aaron
Aaron is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2016
Anita
Anita rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Matthew Pezzone
Matthew Pezzone rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Joe Forman
Joe Forman rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Terry Ernst
Terry Ernst rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Janice
Janice is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2016
Robert Sanderson
Robert Sanderson rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Tracy
Tracy added it
Jul 09, 2016
Kimberly Simpson-Cruzan
Kimberly Simpson-Cruzan rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
  • Laguna Heat
  • Kill-Devil And Water (A Pyke Mystery, #3)
  • Orange Crush (Serge Storms, #3)
  • Son of Blood (Crusades, #1)
  • An Agent in Place
  • Broken Jewel
  • Dead Meat
  • American Hero
  • Soldier of Fortune (Captain Rawson, #1)
  • Proof of Intent (Charley Sloan, #4)
  • The Inheritance
  • Thirteen Million Dollar Pop (Frank Behr, #3)
  • Paris Requiem
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • The Hum Bug (Edgar Allan Poe Mystery, #2)
  • Bone Lake
  • Basilica
  • A Pure Double Cross (American Spy Trilogy, #1)
James Swain is the national best selling author of seventeen mystery novels, and has been published in twelve different languages. His books have been chosen as Mysteries of the Year by Publisher’s Weekly and Kirkus Reviews, and have received three Barry Award nominations, a Florida Book Award for Fiction, and France’s prestigious Prix Calibre .38 for Best American Crime Fiction. Born in Huntingto ...more
More about James Swain...

Tony Valentine (8 books)
  • Grift Sense (Tony Valentine #1)
  • Funny Money (Tony Valentine #2)
  • Sucker Bet (Tony Valentine #3)
  • Loaded Dice (Tony Valentine #4)
  • Mr. Lucky (Tony Valentine #5)
  • Deadman's Bluff (Tony Valentine #7)
  • Jackpot (Tony Valentine #8)