AN Angel From Hell

AN Angel From Hell

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  14 reviews
An edgy, gripping report from the front lines by a young veteran and cast member of The Real World: Brooklyn

Ryan Conklin enlisted in the Army at age seventeen, following 9/11, and joined Angel Company. As a turret gunner with the famed 101st Airborne "Screaming Eagles," and a member of the famed "Rakkasans" regiment-the most decorated regiment in the U.S. Army-he endure...more
Published April 6th 2010 by Berkley Hardcover (first published 2010)

Gina
So I read this book because I remember watching Ryan Conklin on MTV's reality show "The Real World: Brooklyn" and I, like so many others that watched that show remembered that fateful day when he received the notice he was being called back to Active Duty for another tour of Iraq. I remember my heart going out to him then and my heart certiainly went out to him while reading his memoir.

This is the memoir that every young man wanting to enlist needs to read before signing their signature on the d...more
Taylor
Can you handle it?
10/28/2010

Ryan A. Conklin hits it home with his recent book An Angel from Hell. This is the perfect read if you really want to know what’s happening overseas. This book includes twists, real life events, and even humor.

The Book follows Ryan Conklin’s one year deployment to war at just 20 years old. Written by Ryan himself and inspired by emails and letters he wrote back home while he was away the book captures every detail you could imagine.

The book takes you with him to war...more
IndySkye
This is MTV's Real World alumnus Ryan A. Conklin's attempt at writing a book. It is a personal narrative of his experience as a soldier during the course of a one year deployment to Iraq as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

It is the story of the author, a not uncommon young man who is unsure of his future goals after high school and ends up joining the Army. He is the boy next door, who impassioned by the events of 9/11 makes the serious decision to enlist and hopefully take some ardent retribut...more
Kristan
I purchased this book because I adored Ryan Conklin on The Real World and was interested in learning more about his time in Iraq. This book is as raw as it gets. Ryan doesn't sugar coat anything. This book describes in detail not only what was occurring around him, but inside of him as well. There's good times, pain, and fear, all spilled out onto the pages of this book. This isn't one of those "I'm a reality star, so I'm going to pretend like I have something interesting to write about before m...more
Greg D
I'm surprised to read about how undisciplined the army appeared to be before, during & after the Iraq war...sleeping in & not really doing PT or anything. He's not a professional writer but did a solid job of painting a picture for me about what the place would have been like to see and work in. The end of the book ends rather abruptly and would have been interesting to read more *(edit: don't want to spoil the ending).

He sounds like a pretty squared-away guy and I'm glad I read his book...more
Victoria Harben
If you loved Ryan A. Conklin in The Real World Brooklyn, you should read this book. If you want an honest portrayal of a grunt's year in Iraq, you must read this book. There have been some negative reviews, criticizing Conklin for complaining...well damn, I'd complain too. This memoir is a basic play-by-play of how things happen in the infantry while in service and will provide much needed insight to the beginning days of war in Iraq from the perspective of a twentysomething kid.
Jessica
What I liked.....the realness factor...that it wasn't the b.s you hear about the war on tv...but it wasn't all angst either. This book definately gave me a greater appreciation for our soilders in war

What I disliked....not much....maybe some of the war scenes gave me nightmares, but I'm sensitive to that stuff....plus the author lived it so what do I have to complain about!
Matt
It's good to see no matter what country you're serving the gripes are the same! Cack rations under manned and shoddy equipment!
Enjoyed this book it was a well written and laid out. It's good to compare the different tactics employed by US forced and UK forces and was a thoroughly enjoyable read well recommended to pass a few hours.
Zack
Given to me by my mother-in-law because she thought I might enjoy reading about another soldier's war stories in Iraq. Stories were short and absolutely accurate when it comes to a modern deployment. Good read!
Jessica
He tells it like it is;real life on the front line.It's one of those books that hook you with the first sentence!
An honest, intensive Army memoir with a mixture of emotions throughout.
Incredible. Very honest account of what it's like to serve.
Keith
Good book, although it was a slow read for some reason.
torri
It's refreshing. Funny and honest.
Justin Orison
Justin Orison marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Tasha
Tasha marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Regina
Regina marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Casey Jo
Casey Jo marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Robert Lavachery
Robert Lavachery marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
AN Angel From Hell: Real Life on the Front Lines An Angel from Hell: Real Life on the Front Lines