Start by marking “Susannah (Sunfire, #2)” as Want to Read:
Susannah (Sunfire, #2)

Susannah (Sunfire #2)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The South that raised her was at war, while Susannah's own battle raged in her heart....

Susannah had lived her sixteen years as a proper Virginia girl - obedient, dreaming of marriage, leaving the decisions to the men. But when her brother and her fiance are called on to defend the South, Susannah takes the first daring steps of rebellion against the old rules. She must fi
Published April 1st 1984 by Scholastic Paperbacks

Roxanne by Jane Claypool MinerCaroline by Willo Davis RobertsEmily by Candice RansomNicole by Candice RansomSusannah by Candice Ransom
Sunfire Preteen/Teen Romances
5th out of 32 books — 42 voters
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George SpeareMara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGrawDaddy-Long-Legs by Jean WebsterTime Enough for Drums by Ann RinaldiThe Sherwood Ring by Elizabeth Marie Pope
Old-School Teen Historical Romance
63rd out of 214 books — 74 voters

More lists with this book...

Wow, this was a fun little trip down memory lane. I first read this when it was released, I was 10. I don't even know how many times I read it then but it had to be at least eight. There was one unmemorable re-read about 10 years ago, and now recently I picked it up again fresh off a viewing of Ken Burns' "The Civil War."

I'm a bit of a Civil War buff and so that is what drives my very high rating of this book. Some of the dialogue is cheesy, the plot developments contrived, the romance is ... re
I will admit up front that I keep going back and forth on my opinion of this book, so if this review seems disjointed, that would be why. I loved this one when I was a kid, and looked forward to it during the Sunfire Re-Read. I actually remembered a few bits from the plot.

Unfortunately, some things about this book bothered me as an adult. Susannah Dellinger turns 16 in 1864, and has nothing to look forward to except the end of the Civil War. Her family lives on a plantation outside of Winchester
Yet another cheesy Sunfire novel... this should be the last one for awhile.

Susannah is about a girl growing up in Virginia during the Civil War. Little by little her world falls apart, and she finds herself having to be the leader in her family. Along the way, she meets a Yankee soldier with whom she falls in love. There is truly nothing better than forbidden romance.

I feel like Susannah gives a fairly good portrayal of how devastating the Civil War was for the South. It was pretty heart-breakin
This is my favorite book out of these Sunfire romances. I've read it about 10 times. I saved them all these years for my daughters, and Im glad I did, since they are now out of print. :(
The bond between the hero & heroine was set up on tenuous footing, but the entire jist of the novel was the unpredictable and upending nature of war, where the strangest things are made possible. The character of Susannah is far more like a hybrid of Scarlett O'Hara with an emphasis to the inner steel of Melanie Hamilton. She's a strong and resourceful heroine, a lot like Emily in Ransom's other Sunfire.

As has been noted by others, the blind eye towards slavery was irksome and dishonest. How
Back in, like, 6th grade or something, I read the first Sunfire teen romance, Amanda, which was about a girl on the wagon train going west. I liked it a lot and reread it occasionally. So I was excited to find this one at the library booksale a few years ago, and finally got around to reading it.

In this one, Susannah is a young woman on a plantation in Virginia during the Civil War. She has a beau, her brother's best friend, who's enlisted in the Confederate army. But she keeps encountering a U
Skylar Burris
I devoured much of the Sunfire historical romance series in 5th and 6th grade. That is, I read scores of them, but I think I did a bit of skimming. The formula was always the same - two young men - both handsome - oh my! Whom will she choose? 6th grade me lapped that stuff up. I interviewed Candice F. Ransom for an I-Search (children of the 80's, who remembers I-Search projects?) career paper. At the time, I wanted to be a writer. I still do, actually. Well, I am one, I suppose. I don't recall M ...more
I first read this book as a teenager in the 1980s and found it again at a garage sale. I remembered it as being one of my favorites at the time I read it long ago and enjoyed it just as much reading it again now. Yes, the writing was a bit simpler than I am used to, but the story is a good one. Hope to share it with my nieces and hope they love it as much as I do. Will be part of my library as a nostalgic look back through my reading journey.
Very good, better than I expected and the historical aspect was very accurate.
Still reading/rereading some of the Sunfires from the eighties... I did not feel this one gave as much depth to the history and relationship (can't believe I'm saying this about this series, but it's true) as some of the other books. Susannah had some minor similarities to Gone with the Wind, but the story went another way. I did like how it wrapped up-it was the only way it could have gone.
The books in the Sunfire series were basically starter romance novels for young teen girls. Got to get 'em hooked early. I don't think there was any bodice ripping going on, maybe some kissing, lots of anticipation, that's for sure.

From the looks of the cover, it seems that this particular title was set during the Civil War.
I loved it. It was way intense as Susannah tries to take her family across the country. I liked how she had to decided what guy she liked better and who she wanted to live with for the rest of her life. I would recommend this to anyone!!!
I read this book when I was in junior high and liked it quite well. I'm not sure how well it would hold up to a reading now, but it's a decent young adult romance novel.
I had no idea that the author of the Time Spies series (one of my kids' favorites) wrote this series of books. I read them in high school and remember loving them!
Absolutly loved it. I've read it so many times, I pratically have it memorized. The characters were relatable and Susannah was awesome. Amazing story.
This was my jam when I was 11 years old. That's why it gets a big rating; purely for nostalgia.
Reading with Cats
Hip-length hair and smoke-purple eyes!
Oh, these books were so good.
good story
Abby marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Adah marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Alexa added it
Aug 10, 2015
Cassie N
Cassie N marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Mir6964gmail.Com marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
  • Victoria (Sunfire, #13)
  • Marilee (Sunfire, #9)
  • Cassie (Sunfire, #14)
  • Joanna (Sunfire, #5)
  • Jacquelyn (Sunfire, #12)

Sunfire (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Amanda (Sunfire, #1)
  • Elizabeth (Sunfire, #3)
  • Danielle (Sunfire, #4)
  • Joanna (Sunfire, #5)
  • Jessica (Sunfire, #6)
  • Caroline (Sunfire, #7)
  • Kathleen (Sunfire, #8)
  • Marilee (Sunfire, #9)
  • Laura (Sunfire, #10)
  • Emily (Sunfire, #11)
Little Red Riding Hood Rebel McKenzie Amanda (Sunfire, #1) Emily (Sunfire, #11) Nicole (Sunfire, #19)