Isabelle's Boyfriend

Isabelle's Boyfriend

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  29 reviews
All’s fair in love and high school

Taryn has found the guy of her dreams. Epp is tall, athletic, handsome, and best of all, he likes her, too. There’s only one problem: He’s dating someone else. Taryn thinks her love life is over, but when she decides to write an article for the school newspaper that just happens to require interviewing Epp, her luck begins to change. Befri...more
Published December 22nd 2009 by Square Fish (first published September 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Isabelle's Boyfriend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isabelle's Boyfriend

Reagan Urbanec
I have mixed feelings about this book.

Taryn is a believable character, but I wouldn't say I necessarily liked her or was able to relate to her. She's a very pliable character and extremely easy to manipulate.

(SLIGHT spoiler) Her relationship with Epp is extremely manipulated by Hickey in that throughout the whole novel certain feelings (on Epp's part) are continually implied and obvious, the end of the novel was disappointing because I felt purposefully misled and lied too.

I found every part of...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

Taryn Greenleaf just wants to change into warmer clothing before walking their dog, Camille, after school. But Camille is impatient, so Taryn, dressed in her school uniform, heads out for their daily walk. It's snowing and it's cold. During the walk, Taryn stops to let snowflakes fall on her tongue. She glances up and encounters an absolutely gorgeous guy walking towards her. And he stops!! And of all things for this boy to talk about, it's Camille.

He intr...more
Bev
Having taught in an all-girls school for over 15 years, I can say with authority that Caroline Hickey has succeeded in capturing the authentic voice of an adolescent girl struggling with issues of family, friends and young romance. Taryn, the main character, finds herself obsessed with a cute guy who has given her some positive attention but who is also in a pretty solid relationship with another girl. Taryn bumbles her way through this dilemma, expressing her guilt as she makes some poor decisi...more
Julia
I could not put this book down! Tayrn, the main character, has the perfect boyfriend fall into her lap, and you really wish he were yours. It's a cute and funny book. You guys should definatly read it cause you'd never expect how it would end.
Dani
It was good. I just wish the ending was maybe a little happier. I'm a sucker for happy endings.
Laurie
I liked it most because is doesn't end happily ever after.
Sydney
Sweet and innocent YA.
Anna
There's one general word that comes to mind when I think of Isabelle's Boyfriend: okay. The idea was pretty good, but the way it was written... wasn't. Don't get me wrong, the writing was fine - I love Caroline Hickey's voice and the way she writes, but a few things combined made this book just and 'okay' for me.

First, the characters were supposed to be 15 (my age), but they acted so much younger. Like freshmen, even eighth graders at some points in the book. Like, "OH MY GOSH HE LOOKED AT ME IN...more
Haven Angel
ok so in all honesty this book wasnt terrible but it wasnt good either. I mean if you like this sort of book then you might probably like it, but since i dont i really didnt like it. Though the fact that i dont really ever read this kind of literature and stick more tword action, that wasnt the only problum i had with it. To me i fell like book kind of dragged on and nothing happend. it was completly anti climactic, and contained an uniteresting ending. i think i might have enjoyed this more if...more
Becky
I loved the jacket description: "This is the story of how I met the guy of my dreams and became friends with his perfect girlfriend just so I could steal him. Along the way, I lost my best friend, realized my mother was a human being, stopped letting my dog boss me around, and embarrassed myself more than once. If you want to know all the gory details, read on. Just do me a favor--don't show this to Isabelle."

That sounds like a fun book, doesn't it?

What I liked about this one? It doesn't end hap...more
Fluxbrarian
High school sophomore Taryn finally meets the perfect guy, but he’s already dating beautiful and popular Isabelle. With the help of her best friend boy-crazy Lila, Taryn schemes to spend more time with perfect boy Epp in hopes that he’ll leave Isabelle and discover that Taryn is really the one he wants. Isabelle is actually very nice and interested in genuine friendship with Taryn (unaware of Taryn’s ulterior motives). The most interesting thing about the first person narrative is that it’s told...more
Stephanie  D
93% out of 100%
Reilly
I just finished this book and unfortunately am glad I'm done reading it. It was just to girly and flaky of a romance book for me. I also didn't enjoy the style writing used, but overall the theme of the story was good. With characters I could relate to and an amazing guy in the story it wasn't all that bad of a book, just not at all my favorite. I would recommend this book, but only to people who truly enjoy chick-flick books like this one.
Sherry
Fun humor in the midst of all the "everything else" - some truly laugh right out loud moments. Something about the main character Taryn's pet terror of a cute, little dog, Camille, being referred to, by her mom, as "her sister" rings very true. :) Clean book. No cussing or inappropriate relations. Only negative - teen party in one scene where alcohol is served, but Taryn sticks to soda. (atta girl!)
Elizabeth Wallace
Okay,so I just grabbed this off of the shelf at the library. I was like "oh yeah, I'll try this. It looks cute." It wasn't...I could tell the author was trying to be funny, relatable, but it DID NOT work. And the ending was sad, but it wasn't even an I've-learned-a-lesson-sad or oh-well-I'm-a-better-person-sad. It was just awkward, more like oops-that-plan-didn't-work ending.
Ashley Hackenmiller
Thoughts: Overall this was a nice read. The rivalry wasn’t extremely obvious and it was just fairly enjoyable. It was in no way a “mean girls” story because the girls were not flat out mean or nasty. The behind the scenes back stabbing did tend to become a little boring.

Recommendation: High school girls, read it!
Noluthando Cassandra Mauze
so far, this book is awesome, i haven't ever been much of a reader, but thanks to caroline hickey, i've discovered my newest and one of the most interesting hobbies!!! to the teenage girls *a must read*
Thea Lemaster
Looking through the library,I picked this up... It wasn't exactly the best book I've ever read, but it's an easy, simple read I would reccomend if you are in between books, maybe...
Lianna
Didn't like this. Just skimmed after a while.

The whole thing of her being in like with Epp got tiring and boring.
Anne
Not that good. Not many surprsing twists or interesting subplots. Really predictable, simple story.
Rebeca
Cute book. Definitely for a young girl, but it's entertaining, light read, and stress free
Chelsea
it was something a kid would like... but overall, as a book, it was decent...
Maddie
It was a quick read, but I wish she would have stayed with Pete.
Kate
TERRIBLE.
I really REALLY hated this book.
Amanda
4 stars because the dog was just too adorable.
Emma
Awesome book for preteens and above!
Kirsten
Not bad. Not good. Just fluffy.
Alyia ayala
it was a really good book
Rachel
Mar 27, 2008 Rachel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Released Fall 2008
Zoe Fridley
Zoe Fridley marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
  • What I Meant...
  • Notes on a Near-Life Experience
  • Love (In the Cards, #1)
  • Returnable Girl
  • The Truth about Truman School
  • The Opposite of Invisible
  • Exposed
  • No Laughter Here
  • Just Another Hero (Jericho, #3)
  • Safe
Caroline Hickey writes both middle grade and teen novels, including Cassie Was Here and Isabelle's Boyfriend. She holds an MFA in creative writing from the New School in New York City and has worked as a writing mentor for at-risk girls. Caroline currently lives in Washington, DC with her husband and young daughter.
More about Caroline Hickey...
Cassie Was Here