Start by marking “At Home in Stone Creek (Stone Creek, #6)” as Want to Read:
At Home in Stone Creek (Stone Creek, #6)

At Home in Stone Creek (Stone Creek #6)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,451 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Everyone in Ashley O'Ballivan's life is marrying and starting families--except her. But what date can compare to Jack McCall, the man who broke her heart years ago?And now he's mysteriously back. But he isn't who she thinks he is.After a dangerous mission working for the DEA, security expert Jack McCall rents a room in Ashley's bed-and-breakfast. For her sake, he must keep ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Silhouette Desire (first published January 1st 2009)

Julie
At Home in Stone Creek by Linda Lael Miller is a 2009 Silhouette publication.

This is one of those books I picked up in a bargain bin at my local paperback swap store. I’ve always loved this author, but I haven’t even come close to reading all of her books. So, it’s always fun to find one of these older titles, but this book is not one this author’s best efforts.

Ashley and Jack have had an on and off relationship over the years, but the last time they got together, he just up and left without a
jenjn79
Nov 01, 2009 jenjn79 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
Linda Lael Miller may not be one of my absolute favorite authors, and her books may not make my Top list, but they are still very enjoyable, easy reads. You know what you are going to get with LLM when it comes to her intertwined McKettrick/Stone Creek/Creed series.

Summary:
Ashley O'Ballivan has watched her older brother and older sister marry and start happy lives while she sticks to her life as a bed-and-breakfast owner and general homebody and continues a lingering off-and-on affair with myste
Wendy
Once again LLM captured my heart with one of her tales. We first run into Ashley O'Ballivan in The McKettrick Way. She is a lesser character, but you wonder what happens to her and her hansome B&B guest Jack McCall. But in this book Jack shows up after a dangerous mission to save a 7 yr. old girl from her drug lord father that has stolen her. While rescueing her he is injected with some kind of toxin, and is very ill. In his delirium he only knows that he wants to get back to Ashley. But goi ...more
Mareli
Aug 30, 2015 Mareli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's modern and it's about O'Ballivan family. One of the twin, Ashley is facing the return of her lover. She doesn't know what to do and he doesn't want to put her in danger.

The story is good, full of suspence, even if Linda Lael Miller's villains are well, not so bad. They fall dead timely ;)

The heroine, Ashley, is another woman who doesn't really know what to do with herself :( Reading LLM books, I often met this kind of woman. The one who doesn't think so much about herself and it's sad.

All i
Jill
Dec 26, 2009 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I enjoy how Linda Lael Miller creates families and then revisits them with new installments. You get a chance to catch up with familiar characters who already found their special someones and get to know some of the ones who are still waiting. While I have read two of the other books in this series they were published a while back and the characters were not all that fresh in my mind. Luckily Lael Miller included refreshers on who was who and what had happened in their pasts. This story is about ...more
Abbie
Jan 07, 2010 Abbie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-novels
Didn't really like this one. Compared to the last book I read it was very prude-ish for a romance novel. It's like number six in the series or something but it gave me no interest to read the others. I didn't like the main or supportive characters at all. The main couple were so in love but he was like a spy guy and she didn't even really know anything about him except how he was in the sack! Plus the main lady was described as wearing long skirts, french braids, baked tarts and was like my age. ...more
Stacie  M. Ritchie
I have read others of this family of Linda Lael Miller's series. This one like so many of hers was a let down. With a little work this story could have been fleshed out and expanded on. There was some action but it ended so abruptly, I kept asking myself is this how it really ends? I have read the other ones for this family and they were ok. A woman twice burned by the same man, is not going to immediately fall into bed with that man no matter how much she loves him. I have almost given up on th ...more
Brittany
Jan 19, 2015 Brittany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rebekah
Sep 20, 2010 Rebekah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yawn. I didn't even remember finishing this the next morning. And that's only partly due to the ambien.
Barbra
Jan 27, 2010 Barbra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Linda Lael Miller is a favorite author of mine. I liked "At Home in Stone Creek" because Linda has a way of sweeping me away from my personal life and transporting me to a new realm in tune with the characters in her books, who are often times bigger than life. It adds some excitment to this ordinary life in rural Oklahoma.

A wounded soldier of fortune makes his way back to a woman he fell in love with a few years back, and whom he left without a word of explanation. She has turned her home into
Stacie
Apr 24, 2014 Stacie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A continuation of the Stone Creek series with the O'Ballivan family stories. This story has Ashley and Jack. Ashley runs a bed and breakfast out of her house. Jack McCall is a security expert working for the DEA. He has to leave frequently on jobs and is worried that the jobs he runs could follow him to Stone Creek and bring harm to Ashley and her family. He is always leaving without telling her anything. Finally, Jack gets really sick and has to come home to Stone Creek and Ashley.
Tonya Warner
Ashley O'Ballivan has one big complication in her otherwise dull life. The disruptive influence of Jack McCall. She loves him, but he has not exactly been a steady type of guy.

Jack McCall has a whole lot of secrets, but loving Ashley is not one of them. Still, loving her and being with her are a world apart when danger dogs his every footstep.

A nice story. Little light, but nice.
Shanna
I usually like the characters she writes, and laugh out loud at their antics. (minus the smut which thankfully there isn't too much of.) Also I always like the family relationships in them. This story didn't do it for me as much as the others. Didn't connect as much with the main characters. Can't win them all though.
Nikki
Apr 16, 2015 Nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mistake, I picked up this book to read without being able to fully read the 'weathered' book jacket. It's not my usual read. I gave it 3 stars because it was not a bad book. But, I am not likely to pick up others in the series. Not the author's fault that I wasn't better at finding a book more to my taste.
Patricia Ange
A different spin to the series

A different spin to the series

Stone Creek sounds like a nice place to live with nothing but peace and quiet and meddling family. This story tested that promise with a lot of drama in the way of Jack. I
Ida Loyd
Sep 10, 2014 Ida Loyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow !What a read

I love LLM books and this one was one of the best ,A great read full of exciting twist and turn , I gave the book 4 stars because it could always be better. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a great read.
Toni Pulley
Jun 22, 2015 Toni Pulley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book already.

This is a very good book. I read it quite a bit ago. When Olivia gave the kitten to her sister, I remembered reading this one. I love reading Linda Lael Miller. One of my favorite authors.
Jenny
Nov 02, 2009 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Goodreads should have a steaminess rating for romance novels. This one would be a 5/5. I was going to pass the book on to my mom or grandma but to be honest it makes me squeamish to think about them reading certain scenes.

Also this may be an odd comment but I liked how even though this is a romance novel the main characters points out the leading man is the only person she has ever been "intimate" with. Sometimes romance novels don't always have role model leading ladies. It's nice to know (eve
karen
Jan 17, 2016 karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice suspense. Nice long going love story between Jack and Melissa. I wish Linda Lael Miller would write about sam O'Ballivan 's family history, his children, and the O'Ballivan dad and grandfather . Also the story how Meg and Brad got together.
Paula
May 09, 2016 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ashley O'Ballivan, Stone Creek Bed and Breakfast owner, should have been born in the early 1900's. She is the "domestic" sister who likes to cook, clean, sew, and wear old fashioned clothes. Jack McCall, (ex college boyfriend who is now a mercenary) shows up on Ashley's doorstep knocking on death's door. While on a "job" he is injected with some type of poison that was specially designed to kill him slowly and it is working. Jack brings trouble to Ashley's front door and is kindly escorted out o ...more
Emily Higgins
Jan 16, 2014 Emily Higgins rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, western
Jack McCall left Ashley O'Ballivan without saying goodby. He returned months later, sick. He was also being threatened by a drug lord. Can Jack and Ashley fight off these threats and find happiness? A pleasant story with the O'Ballivan family fully involved.
Vicky Lynn
Jun 07, 2016 Vicky Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack McKenzie is one sexy man!!!!!
Pam
Jun 25, 2016 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, h2016
I really liked the book. A pretty good story
Tammy Schoen
Good read.
Ayu Wirdha
Jack yang berprofesi sbg tentara bayaran di misi sblmnya terkena racun yg menyebabkan tubuhnya lemah. Utk pemulihan Jack memilih penginapan B & B Ashley sbg tempat beristirahat. Hubungan Jack & Ash ini on off dr masa kuliah sebagian besar disebabkan dgn Jack yg mengharuskannya utk pergi secara mendadak tanpa penjelasan tp ketika Jack datang Ashley walaupun kesel ttp aja tdk bisa menolak, krn cinta katanya.

Kelly
Jul 08, 2014 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the story and thought it was well written. Also like the characters.
Janet Horton
Jul 10, 2013 Janet Horton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I read this one out of sequence but it was just as good just the same even though I already knew what had happened to others - and these characters. It was still a little mystery and a lot of romance. There were funny parts and a lot of family bonding. As usual, it was a good "feel-good" book.
Laura Beasley
Jan 24, 2013 Laura Beasley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Mary Ann
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Expected a love story with not much substance but was wrong. Quick read but had a plot as well as a love story. Loved the 2 main characters-- Jack and Ashley as well as the other members of her family. Look forward to reading more books about them.
Marleen
Jan 01, 2010 Marleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love most of LLM's books and I think she's a great Western romance stories writer. However in this story in the Stone Creek saga, I find Ashley, the lead female character too whiny & weak. Overall, the characters are not too deeply developed, which is a disappointment.
  • The Lone Texan (Whispering Mountain, #4)
  • The Loner
  • Hawk's Way Brides (Hawk's Way #6-8)
  • Long Road Home (Sons of Chance, #7)
  • Diamond In The Rough (The Men of Medicine Ridge, #3)
  • Tyler (The Secret Life of Cowboys, #1)
  • Montana Destiny
  • A Bride for Jericho Bravo (Bravo Family, #28) (The Jones Gang, #12)
  • The Renegade Cowboy Returns / Texas Lullaby
  • A Cowboy Christmas (The Lost Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • The Love Of A Cowboy (Callister, #1)
The daughter of a town marshal, LINDA LAEL MILLER is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 100 historical and contemporary novels, most of which reflect her love of the West. The "First Lady of the West" lives outside Spokane, Washington, where her rescued horses, dogs and cats live the high life.

Published since 1983, Linda was awarded the prestigious Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievemen
More about Linda Lael Miller...

Stone Creek (6 books)
  • The Man from Stone Creek (Stone Creek, #1)
  • A Wanted Man (Stone Creek, #2)
  • The Rustler (Stone Creek, #3)
  • A Stone Creek Christmas (Stone Creek, #4)
  • The Bridegroom (Stone Creek, #5)

“No,” Jack struggled to quip, “but” 0 likes