Start by marking “Another Life (Burke, #18)” as Want to Read:
Another Life (Burke, #18)

Another Life (Burke #18)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  472 ratings  ·  54 reviews
In this blistering conclusion to the nationally bestselling series, Burke is forced into a journey that will change the lives of the urban survivalist and his outlaw family forever.The only person Burke has ever called father, known throughout the underground as “The Prof,” is in a coma, barely clinging to life in an off the-books hospital. So when Pryce, a slippery man wi...more
Published December 30th 2008 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about Another Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Life

Larry Bassett
“I’m looking for a plot where the guy has sex with women – not romantic sex; with prostitutes, or even rape – and brings his son along to watch, so he can teach the kid how to do it.”

Now, make the kid a baby and you have the nugget of the last book in the Burke series. The baby is kidnapped during one of the lessons and the father wants him back. Or does he? I am betting you might not be interested. But you have been reading the Burke series for a couple of years and this is the last book.

The...more
Tony
Vachss, Andrew. ANOTHER LIFE. A Burke Mystery. (2008). *. Underground comix heroes, X-Box dialog, lame situations. This about sums up Vachss’ latest Burke novel. Burke’s “father,” known throughout the underworld as “Prof,” is found severely wounded outside of an industrial building. Burke knows he needs specialized help, but can’t take him to a regular hospital. He gets help from Pryce, a man who is like a shadow for a variety of agencies in Washington. Pryce sets the Prof up in a private hospit...more
Liz Jenkins
While Andrew Vachss book's are always disturbing, I've always been drawn into the world he portrays. Especially now having a child, his depictions of child abuse tear at my heart yet his characters always seem real and as if there was someone out there fighting back.
That said, his newest novel is not for those who have not read prior books. If I hadn't read all of his previous novels, I would probably have no idea what was going on or why so many things were important in this book. So, highly re...more
Kirque
I'm giving the 5 stars to the entire series which I found in the early 1990s. Vachss is a totally honest writer - he writes what he knows: and he knows about the children that society and the legal system designed to 'protect' that doesn't protect at all, and the monstrous evil predators that prey on them (whether it's the foster care system or some perv trolling on the internet). This isn't "Made palatable for TV to catch a predator" stuff - this is Revenge in a pimped out Plymouth. And kudos t...more
Bob
It was tough getting this book as I knew that it would be the last in the Burke series, a series that has helped me both as a fledgling writer and at a deeper, personal level. But it went far beyond what I expected. I don't what to toss any spoilers in here but I will tell you that you find out a lot about Burke that you did not know before and the ending?

Perfect.

Sometimes, when you've let your children go, they come back when you least expect it.
Blackbook
This is the last Burke novel. I have loved this series about a rogue investigator, anti child abuse vigilante. This is not his best book but I will miss him and his particular subgenre.
David
Excellent end to an awesome series and all I can say is Good bye Burke you will be missed. Andrew Vachss is for me the best "True Crime Fiction" author out here.
Tom Hicks
This my favourite Crime author and I've read all of his books. As this being another Burke novel I'm sure it will be as good as the rest.
Rob Thompson
I was reading the reviews of Vachss last Burke book, and decided to add my two cents -- mostly because I had a thought about why people started to dislike this series as it progressed.

For me, Another Life is a masterpiece, one of the finest books in the series. I was impressed with the author's ability to provide more depth to a character (Burke) who had already been fairly well fleshed out.

But I noticed many people have said the series became stale, and dark, and depressing. Well, it was always...more
Louis
I started to listen to this book on CD but couldn't follow the rapid changes in setting since they didn't have chapter breaks. Also, the cast of characters was not traditionally introduced as in so much fiction today. That is, when a new recurring character in the story came up, there was no explication of the person's relationship to Burke or any back story. While I appreciated the avoidance of this usually heavy-handed character introduction, it was still confusing when listening (and driving)...more
Mike
Andrew Vachss got back on that horse. He’s been writing books about a criminal named Burke and has underworld family for 24 years and 18 novels. “Another Life” is to be the last one. The prospect of this being his last book worried me as I’m a huge fan of this series. But it didn’t worry me because the series would end…that saddened me. It worried me because the novel before this, “Terminal” was kind of disappointing and I was wondering if maybe this series is ending 2 novels too late. It turns...more
Tim Niland
If this does turn out to be the final Burke adventure as Vachss has promised, the unlicensed private eye and career criminal has gone out with a whopper. When Burke's surrogate father and mentor The Prof is critically wounded, a shadowy government agent materializes to make Burke a deal he can't possibly refuse: The Prof gets top shelf medical care if Burke can find the missing infant son of a Saudi sheik living in New York. This becomes the widest ranging Burke adventure too, with the great ant...more
Rob
It's over. I think Andrew Vachss tried to end the Burke series several volumes back but for some obscure reason, changed his mind, again and again. In this, the last one, I don't think Burke/Vachss has anything new to tell - same ideas phrased differently.
I've been following Burke since I stumbled across one of the books, ... Belle, in the early 90's, and I was so fascinated by the character that I went back to the previous novels. The darkness of his vision and his take on life leaves me gaspi...more
David Ward
Another Life (Burke #18) by Andrew Vachss (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard)(fiction - mystery)is another better Burke novel. A Saudi prince aged two is kidnapped from his father's side - and Burke can't figure out who kidnapped the child or why. Things might not be as they appear in Burke's world. A side story which opened the book involved the Prophet being terribly wounded in a shooting and esconsed in a private off-the-books medical facility. Another side story represents the first time someone (C...more
Andy
Just couldn't get into this Burke series conclusion. Strange, because usually I'm transfixed by Vachss books. Not this one. YMMV.
Shawna
In spite of myself I keep reading the Burke books and after each one I say, "that's it, no more." I picked up this one in particular because it teased that we would learn more about where Burke came from. Dare I imagine he might stumble across his mother? (I thought perhaps something like Michael Connoelly's Harry Bosch character, which was really a tour de force.) Alas the conclusion we arrived at was not nearly as explosive, but it was true for the character. If you've read the others you'll r...more
Veach Glines
Vachss has difficulty in that his own opinions and voice come out of his characters' mouths, rather than his "characters opinions" are stated clearly. Maybe it is a fine line and I am being too picky, but there are many things a character can say and do...with the right back story. Burke has never had much need for caring about things beyond his own horizon---but now, it seems he (and his crew) has an opinion about everything!
Dominick
The final Burke novel has him trying to get back an Arab prince's kidnapped child, but of course all is not as it seems . . . the Arab is a pervert, the kidnaper's really the mother trying to save the child, etc. As usual in later Vachss, the plot could fit in a thimble, so there's lots of room for his cod street philosophy. How this series deteriorated over the years is very depressing. Definitely time to retire Burke....
Brian
I love the "Burke" books by Andrew Vachss. This is the 18th and the last. I can't say I like the way it ends because I never want a Burke book to end, but the dialogue was getting repetitive from book to book, so maybe Andrew Vachss was smart to terminate rather than release the same book with a different title every year. I urge you to read the series, start with "Flood" and join Protect.org
David Horney
this wraps up the burke series. it's not a nice neat bundle of resolution but it is satisfying. the plot is a bit confusing--i still don't understand why the israelis had to be blamed for the bad guy's death, but that's not really the point of the book. it is about the people and how it turns out for them. if you haven't read the other book this one won't necessarily make a good impression.
Andrea Mesch
I love the first 4 or 5 of the Burke novels. But then they started to go downhill. I still bought and read them all, loyalty, hope and knowing that they were written for the good cause made me do it. Sad that they were all flesh, but no bones lately. And where was Flood? In one of his interviews Mr. Vachss promised that she'd return in the end. I missed her...
Paul
In the final novel of the Burke series, Andrew Vachss falls a little short. I had hoped Burke, a quintessential conflicted anti-hero, would go out with a bang... not a whimper. However, Vachss delivers a solid finale. It's well worth the read simply to be able to say goodbye to all of the characters you've grown to love over all these years.
David Thomas
The last of the Burke series. I read them all. This one was, unfortunately, not very satisfying. I was disappointed, particularly because it was the last in the series. Otherwise, I became absorbed in his books. The bad good guy - or the good bad guy. A thief by trade, surrounded by like "family," who did bad things to people that abused kids.
Nancy
I'm a loyal reader of Andrew Vachss even though I don't care much for crime novels or mysteries. But the heart of his books really draws me - the made-up family of odd and endearing characters that Burke cares for so fiercely. I could barely follow the plot in this one, but I wanted to catch up with Max and Michelle and The Mole, et al.
John
I found this to be an ill-fitting end to an amazing character. However, many of the previous favorites are there. However, there was too much naval gazing and too little action for my tastes. Vachss usually strikes a balance in his novels, but it's clear he was ready to be done with Mr. Burke.
JD
Vacchs has some great one-liners and knows how to turn a phrase, but unfortunately these strengths are unable to mask the fact that this book is damn near unreadable. The excessive topical references and soon-to-be-outdated tech-savvy will forever freeze "Another Life" in 2008. Disappointing.
stormhawk
Endings are hard. Knowing going in that this is where I'll be saying goodbye to beloved characters is harder. Over the many years of the Burke series, Andrew Vachss has never missed a step. The ending isnt entirely happy. No ending is, but it is good.
Livius Nedin
The 18th and final book in the Burke series. Sadly these have become a bit formulaic and tiresome. Not recommended to anyone who hasn't read the first 17 :) but, if you're looking for hard-boiled gritty crime fiction Burke is definitely your man.
John
The last Burke book?Nicely tied up. wonder if Vachss will let Burke test this time? Find out in a few tears I Guess. See how the world changes and how.much we need someone like Burke to knock us off our santimonious pedestal. so long for now Burke.
Patrick
I had a hard time getting into the book at first, seemed slow and hard to follow, but as it progressed it got better and better. Not the best Vachss book I have read, but a darn good read. Finally we learn some history of the characters!
  • The Two-Bear Mambo (Hap and Leonard, #3)
  • The Cold Spot
  • The Violet Hour
  • Doc: The Rape of the Town of Lovell
  • The Tremor of Forgery
  • Devil's Garden
  • The Quiller Memorandum
  • The Killing Of The Tinkers (Jack Taylor, #2)
  • Zen and Now: on the Trail of Robert Pirsig and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
  • Wobble To Death (Sergeant Cribb, #1)
  • The Orange Tree
Andrew Vachss has been a federal investigator in sexually transmitted diseases, a social-services caseworker, a labor organizer, and has directed a maximum-security prison for “aggressive-violent” youth. Now a lawyer in private practice, he represents children and youths exclusively. He is the author of numerous novels, including the Burke series, two collections of short stories, and a wide varie...more
More about Andrew Vachss...
Flood (Burke, #1) Strega (Burke, #2) Blue Belle (Burke, #3) Hard Candy (Burke, #4) Shella

“You want proof evolution is for real, don’t waste your time with fossils; just check out the New York City rat. They started out as immigrants, stowaways in some ship’s cargo hold. Only the survivors got to breed, and they’ve been improving with every new
litter. Smarter, faster, stronger. Getting ready to rule. Manhattan wouldn’t be the first island they took over.”
4 likes