Just Like You

Just Like You

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  6 reviews
On the day you were born, God wrapped his gentle arms around the whole world. What do a crackling fire, a tinkling rattle, and beaded necklaces have in common? They are gifts welcoming brand-new babies into the world babies just like you. Global families form the centerpiece of this heartwarming story that reminds us of the universal bonds between loved ones. Discover cele...more
Published March 30th 2010 by Zonderkidz (first published 2010)

N_stefanie Akwa
Just Like You, by Marla Stewart Konrad is a simple book but it takes the reader on a tour through many countries. Page after page, the love felt the first night a parent spends at home with their newborn child translates across the globe. All of us, no matter what the ethnicity, have the same spectrum of thoughts on the first night we spend with our babies.
I enjoyed the format the writter used having the first and third paragraphs repeated verbatim, framing second paragraph of each family's sto...more
Mandy Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

Just Like You is a beautiful way to teach your children about how much you love them and about life around the world. This tender tale looks at how much your child was loved when he/she was born and how much other Mothers around the world - in places like Australia, China, South Africa, and Egypt - love their children, too. The illustrations are soft, comforting, and tenderly life-like.

I enjoyed reading this book to my children and looking at the pictures of other lands and learning ab...more
Margaret
Mar 15, 2010 Margaret rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of younger children
Recommended to Margaret by: FIRST
This is a delightful and beautifully imagined children's book that aides a parent in educating their child about other children around the world "just like" them. Loved by family and God alike with different culture and ways of celebrating, but in all the same. I enjoyed this book and look forward to sharing it time and again with my own child. My only thought on how the book could be better in my own eyes is if the "mommy" term were changed per the country. That I think would be educational as...more
Heatherhh
With gorgeous illustrations, in each 2-page spread, this book looks at babies born in another part of the world. The structure is similar at the beginning and end of each page, underlining the commonalities, but the details in the middle vary like gum trees or caribou stew. The underlying message is that each child is special, and there's a Christian message on the last pages of God knowing the numbers of hairs on their head and watching over each one.
J.A. McLachlan
I love reading Just Like You by Marla Konrad to my granddaughter. Through pictures and story Marla introduces different cultures and countries, beliefs and customs to young children, within a framework of the family love that unites us all. My toddler granddaughter is fascinated by the beautiful pictures and delightful story and asks repeatedly for this book to be read to her. An excellent book to read to a child or buy for a new mother!
Rachel
A celebration of the differences of various cultures, but more importantly, the things that make every culture the same, that is family. Every baby has their toes counted, is sung a lullaby, and the family gathers, bringing gifts/food from their culture.
Aimee
Aimee added it
Dec 09, 2013
Nick
Nick added it
Jun 19, 2013
Marie Friesen
Marie Friesen marked it as to-read
May 29, 2012
langa
langa marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2010