Start by marking “20 Things Adoptive Parents Need to Succeed” as Want to Read:
20 Things Adoptive Parents Need to Succeed

20 Things Adoptive Parents Need to Succeed

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Do I have what it takes to be a successful adoptive parent?
Does my child consider me a successful parent?
Will I ever hear my rebellious teen say, “I love you”?
What tools do I need to succeed?

In her groundbreaking first book, Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew, Sherrie Eldridge gave voice to the very real concerns of adopted children, whose unique
Published October 27th 2009 by Delta (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 20 Things Adoptive Parents Need to Succeed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 20 Things Adoptive Parents Need to Succeed

Ellie Sorota
Another half-star adoption book. Eldridges organization is very helpful, and she offers lots of practical suggestions throughout her book. Each chapter tackles a topic and then gives age-appropriate suggestions. For example, in regards to bonding she suggests holding infants close and tight to your chest until they relax, as it is common for adopted infants to arch their backs and resist relaxing, thereby inhibiting infant bonding, she then follows with bonding suggestions for childhood years, t ...more
Emily Newman
Liked: Hmm, not much. A few reminders that some problems need spiritual solutions, and some general good common-sense stuff that you could easily find better presented in other books (The Connected Child would be my first recommendation.)

Didn't like: Negativity about adoption. The author has a lot of negative personal experiences related to adoption and tends to assume that every child who has been adopted will have the same intensely negative experiences, even though adoptive practices have com
Meagan
I'm glad that the chapters are short in this book. None of the chapters delves deep but each offers an introduction to issues. There's a little too much touchy-feely in this book at times. I also dislike that so many adoption books make it sound like parenting adopted kids will be overwhelmingly hard every day. Parenting any kid is challenging but also brings joy. People who only have adopted children should not think that their struggles are always due to adoption.
Alyssa
If you're going to read one book on adoption, this certainly is NOT it. She was adopted, and has adopted grandchild(ren?), but beyond that it doesn't seem she has much expertise. I found the tone patronizing, the hypothetical situations she put forward extreme (you may die before your child tells you they love you, but they do . . .?), and the helpful bits only occasional.
Cassandra
Overall I liked the book. However, it suffers from the same problem as almost all of the other adoption books I've read thus far: the book attempts to cover too much information. I feel like I have a lot of preparation to do to become an adoptive parent and I want to really dig into some scenarios and advice about various challenges. This book covers 20 different topics and offers very few details about each of the topics.

It did provide food for thought, just not enough meat. My favorite part w
Adri
The first book I read once we decided to start our adoption journey! Great for those beginning the process. It added an emotional component that you are already wrapped up in when you make the decision to adopt. Plus, it points out (very gently) issues of concern that many pre-adoptive parents may have not considered. A very good introductory book.
Handora
It was a very informative book about adoption, and I learned a lot. But it's not really an enjoyable book for someone who does not like to connect things to faith... So, I am glad that I finished reading.
Liz
Honestly, it didn't tell me anything that I'm not learning in my MAPP training, I ended up skimming most of it. Maybe I'll take another look once I have a child, we'll see.
Anna
Mushy, touchy-feely, full or jargon, lots of complex analogies. You'd think, with a title like this, that it would be succinct. Nope.
Beth Chandler
Fascinating and helpful title to help adoptive parents with children of all ages.
Tom Panning
Practical information, but also a lot of pulling on your heart strings.
Garrett
Garrett is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2015
Mackenzie
Mackenzie is currently reading it
Jan 25, 2015
Andy Zinkle
Andy Zinkle marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Ronda Sheldon
Ronda Sheldon marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Tricia
Tricia marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Mary Beth Brummond
Mary Beth Brummond marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Molly the Librarian
Molly the Librarian marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew Forever Fingerprints: An Amazing Discovery for Adopted Children Twenty Life Transforming Choices Adoptees Need to Make Questions Adoptees Are Asking: ...about Beginnings...about Birth Family...about Searching...about Finding Peace Parents De Coeur:  Comprendre L'enfant Adopté