Start by marking “House Calls and Hitching Posts: Stories from Dr. Elton Lehman's Career Among the Amish” as Want to Read:

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Medical technology meets rural values of simplicity, home health remedies, and unwavering faith in divine providence when a country-boy-turned-country-doctor returns to his roots. House Calls and Hitching Posts is a sometimes humorous and often intimate account of Dr. Elton Lehman's 36 years practicing medicine among the Amish of Ohio, for which he was named Country Doctor ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published July 1st 2007 by Good Books (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about House Calls and Hitching Posts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House Calls and Hitching Posts

Posadafan
Reviewing this book brings up an interesting point...is the reader's review to be based on the author's writing talents, or the overall bookreading enjoyment?

Dr. Lehman is an inspirational man, and his life of service among the Amish community provides many entertaining and insightful moments throughout the book. His story was one that was just begging for a book (not by himself, of course).

As mentioned by many of the reviewers here, the writing was at times repetitive...and often in the menti
Maggie
The writing of this book is hardly stellar; it is, in fact, awful. However, the life Dr. Elton Lehman has lived and the people he has served makes for very interesting reading.

Dr. Lehman chose to serve a community only a few miles from where he and his 11 siblings were raised because he firmly believed that his life was supposed to be a life of service to others and that God would lead him to the right place for him to work. Having been raised in a Mennonite area (though he was not a member of
Brian Harris
Jul 01, 2008 Brian Harris rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Locals with an interest in Amish culture.
Recommended to Brian by: The author.
The stories themselves are endearing and underscore that the "good old days" of American life where doors remained unlocked and professionals were accessible still exists if you choose to live that way.

There is a tremendous degree of redundancy, a pitfall of many contemporary non-fiction writers, where the author does not trust the reader to "get it" the first, fifth, or ninth time.

The written dialogue is awkward and forced at times. The author is trying to provide all necessary information thro
Janet Godsoe
I feel a little torn on my rating for this one. Although the stories are really interesting and the insights into Dr. Lehman's experiences are very colorful, I found I didn't care for the author's writing style. She emphasized religion very heavily in many places - to the point where they seemed to be preaching more than reflecting his beliefs. She also had an odd way of writing in which she began one story, devolved into another story, then returned to the first again; sometimes incorporating a ...more
Josiah
Amazing book! Full of fascinating stories of God's providence in the lives of the primarily Amish community of Ohio this book tells the story of Doctor Lehman who dedicated is life to the service of others in the service of Christ. His compassion, flexibility, understanding, and willingness to do everything possible to meet the needs of his patients makes him a true example to all of us.

I give the book four stars because even though I loved it the writing is far from stellar and at times is so d
Candace
From the time he graduates from Osteopathic College, Dr.Elton Lehman is a gift to the Amish people of Wayne County, Ohio. He understands their lifestyle and needs in a way few individuals outside the close knit community could. This beautifully written collection of stories is touching and humorous from the earliest patient bringing his dismembered fingers in a container of Kerosene to the deeply moving story of the five Amish children killed by a hit and run driver while returning from a birthd ...more
Tina
What a great compilation of the doctor's life! The author definitely knows how to put a story together. She had some great material - a combination of both serious and humorous adventures. This doctor certainly never had a dull moment in his life and those moments were wonderfully conveyed to the reader. What a great respect he has for the Amish people. He achieved great things and it seems he is not quite finished in his wonderous deeds. I would definitely recommend this book to others who want ...more
Judith
House Calls and Hitching Posts is a delightful book. Through the amazing stories of Dr. Lehman's practice among the Amish and Mennonites of Wayne County and surrounding area, you get an inside look at the close knit community that "Englishers" rarely see. Dr. Lehman finds that his medical school training has not prepared him for the practice he begins among the Amish as a country doctor. He must become flexible and learn the plain ways of people he will come to love. If you have an interest in t ...more
Julie Miles higginbotham
Similar experience happened in this book and End of the Spear, awe-filled
Lisa
I found this an interesting little read, enjoying many of the memories and recollections, though some were very sad. Dr Lehman is an inspiration and an ordinary guy - he's not trying to be special or do anything special, but is just a good guy who gives his best to all. For me reading it in the u.k. is speaks of a whole different world as there is not really any communities even close to this over here. It has nothing particularly negative to say about anyone - and this feels a bit too good to b ...more
Pat
House Calls is a story about a doctor in our area of Ohio who worked with the Amish, literally WITH them going beyond the call of duty to provide them with health care. The situations he finds himself unselfishly handling give you such respect for him and his wife! It reminded me of The Irish Country Doctor but not as well written. The writing is repetitive and simplistic bogging down quite frequently, but I did enjoy reading about my new home, Ohio and the Amish.
Tonya Warner
A great story. I enjoyed how it brings Dr. Elton Lehman and the many people and patients to life. It gives great insight in to the history of medicine as well as the Amish people.

Some of the anecdotes will make you laugh, some will make you cry. The stories definately give a clearer understanding of how working in a culture outside of your own takes a lot of dedication and faith. Faith in yourself and the faith of he patients you treat.
Duane
A great book if you're interested the Amish way of life. Following the life of Dr. Lehman, a wonderful country doctor, you get to see the real way of life for people who care so much about each other. Filled with quaint folksy stories, real life dramas, and observations on how religion is the basis for their life, you'll enjoy the warm hearted memories. For lovers of medical stories, Amish stories, or simply clean humorous recollections, you'll love this book.
Robin
Sep 03, 2009 Robin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far I'm really enjoying this. A nice insight into the Amish life from a non-amish that has been accepted into their world, as much as an outsider can be, as a local general practitioner. I was worried I'd be bored with this as it was a gift and not something I would normally pick up, but it's been a pleasant surprise. Well written and I find it even more interesting because the doctor's practice is in an area of Ohio that I'm familiar with.
Ashley K
This was a great collection of true stories. Each chapter is its own small tale but they all weave together to present a full picture of a man of great service, devotion, and caring. Set in the rolling hills of Ohio's Amish Country, we learn of the life of a rural doctor. The stories of his ingenuity, generosity, and skill are a treat. And the people he works with make for interesting characters.
Penny
The majority of this book takes place near where I grew up so it was interesting to read how aomeone else sees places that I know. I think the end of the book strayed very far from the original premise to talk about an event that happened in the community. It went on at great length and I'm not sure what it really added to the telling of an otherwise interesting insight into a small culture.
Louise
This book I highly recommend. it tells a story of a doctor who totally is dedicated to serving his community, not only as physician but also mayor of Mt Eaton. there may have once been doctors like Dr. Lehman but today we are lucky if we get a doctor who trtuly listens to us, This book makes me wish that I knew him or someone like him,. truly enjoyable read
Carey Henderson
The writing wasn't very good, the author went on unneccessary tangents & tended to get long-winded at times but, you could tell she had deep respect for Dr. Lehman & his work. Since it was about a local doctor & contained familiar places & customs it held my interest. If your looking for something simple to read, this is a great book for that.
Andrea
LOVED this book! I really liked reading about the true cases that this amazing country doctor dealt with. He really complied by his patient's wishes and gave optimal care no matter what their feelings on healthcare were. I really liked how supported he was by the city hospital as well. Small town/Amish communities really stick together.
Seoda
I really enjoyed the subject matter, but the marginal writing kept trowing me off. (Although, I will grant that trying to seamlessly integrate 35+ years worth of anecdotes was probably a challenge!)If you bemoan the lack of a personal touch in doctor/patient relationships, you may find that this book gives you a glimmer of hope.
Laurelyn
Aug 09, 2009 Laurelyn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone intested in medicine, amish, a simple lifestyle or enjoyed James Herriot,
Recommended to Laurelyn by: my mom
A simple account of Amish culture and rural medical practice, this book definitely has religious tones throughout without being preachy to the reader. The stories chosen to be included in this book makes one question our "modern" society and our views of family and loved ones...

Alison
Very interesting and inspiring read about a country doctor selflessly serving his community for years, this book kept me up past my bed time three nights in a row! Filled with both humoring as well as heart-breaking stories, be sure to keep some popcorn as well as tissues by your side.
Paula
This was a very good heartwarming book about a country doctor who decides to practice near an Amish community. He was so loved by the community as well as the surrounding areas. The stories of some of his patients are priceless and he was given the doctor of the year award in 1998.
Rbyothers
Borrowed from Doris Hunsberger.

True story of a doctor that devoted his life to medicine. He located in an Amish area and did his best to honor their style of life.

He served well for many years and became Doctor of the Year. When he retired he was followed by his son.
Nicole Miller
Really interesting and easy-to-read stories about a Doc in Amish country. Very intriguing to hear about the Amish families. Written very simply and in a straight-forward and likeable way by someone that very much adores the Doc and what he did for the community.
Elaine
a little bland and confusing at times

A good portion of the book is about Amish women having babies at Barb's house with Doctor Lehman present. Some good stuff. Started out interesting enough but over time, became superfluous.

Pam Rivera
I found the stories amazing and entertaining. Dr. Lehman certainly was an amazing man and physician who more than deserved all his awards and accolades!

It was a slow read for me, however, and a little preachy for my liking.
Raisingcropsandbabies
Loved hearing the different medical stories... lots of kerosine soaked hands and cuts...
Cindy
Sep 25, 2008 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dr. Stacey L. George
I've just started this book but so far it is keeping my interest. It is about a doctor who treats the Amish. Being Mennonite myself...I know a lot of the places the book talks about.
Maryahn
A great book to learn more about the Amish. However, it seemed like the author was a bit of a novice at writing. But the Doctor's life was very impressive and quite an example of service.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Amish Society
  • Diary of a Midwife
  • The Riddle of Amish Culture
  • Too Many Cooks: 4 Kids, 1 Mom, 102 New Recipes
  • Bryson City Tales: Stories of a Doctor's First Year of Practice in the Smoky Mountains
  • Amish Values for Your Family: What We Can Learn from the Simple Life
  • Cast A Blue Shadow (Ohio Amish Mystery, #4)
  • Plain Wisdom: An Invitation into an Amish Home and the Hearts of Two Women
  • The Simple Life
  • The Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook
  • Obstetric Myths Versus Research Realities: A Guide to the Medical Literature
  • Birth Reborn: What Childbirth Should Be. Michel Odent
  • Labor of Love: A Midwife's Memoir
  • The New Dealers' War: F.D.R. and the War Within World War II
  • Orgasmic Birth: Your Guide to a Safe, Satisfying, and Pleasurable Birth Experience
  • Arms Wide Open: A Midwife's Journey
  • Good Nights: The Happy Parents' Guide to the Family Bed (and a Peaceful Night's Sleep!)
  • Plain and Simple: A Journey to the Amish