Hot Commodities: How Anyone Can Invest Profitably in the World's Best Market

Hot Commodities: How Anyone Can Invest Profitably in the World's Best Market

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  370 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The next bull market is here. It’s not in stocks. It’s not in bonds. It’s in commodities –and some smart investors will be riding that bull to record returns in the next decade.

Published December 28th 2004 by Random House (first published 2004)

Steve Bradshaw
Prescient reading given the bull market in commodities in the 5 years since its writing. An enjoyable summary of the mechanics of commodities investing (although it is much easier in practice these days) and the bull case for commodities. I particularly enjoyed his section on China and the effects of its growth - being in China myself has only reinforced everything he has to say. I also enjoyed his thinking by commodity (sugar, coffee, gold and oil in particular) and found his arguments to be ge...more
David Nealis
I read “Hot Commodities” after first reading Jim Rogers’ book a “Bull in China”.
I am a China Market Consultant and I started reading “Hot Commodities” while helping a Futures Brokerage client enter the Greater China Market Place.

On a trip to Singapore I was able to meet with Mr. Rogers not only to get my books signed by him, but to also hear his view on the world of investing and where he thought it was going, I left his home excited to get back to reading his book and also to start studying fo...more
Carley Garner
Anyone interested in commodity trading should read this book. It won't tell you when to buy, or when to sell (but who can tell you that?), but it outlines the basics of market fundamentals and encourages low leverage. On the other hand, it seems to assume that trading commodities is easier than it truly is and that everyone has pockets as deeep as the author.
Alvin Lim
Sep 07, 2012 Alvin Lim marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: commodities

Before Jim Rogers hit the road to write his bestselling books Investment Biker and Adventure Capitalist, he was one of the world’s most successful investors. He cofounded the Quantum Fund and made so much money that he never needed to work again. Yet despite his success, Rogers has never written a book of practical invest...more
Wellington
When I first started writing thse reviews, I just wanted to keep a log and some of my favorite books, I would submit a review to Amazon. For those who actually read the reviews, the reviews begin to be more of a blog. Most books give me different ideas than what the author fully intended.

Like this book. chances are I'll never buy an commodities. However, I do enjoy reading from a guy who REALLY traveled the world. It's one thing to travel to first world countries and five star hotels.

But this is...more
Khanh
Jim Rogers gives the fundamentals of the commodity business and the cyclical movement of commodity prices to convince readers that commodities--rather than stocks, bonds, real estates, and currencies--are the best investment and that a portfolio is not fully diversified without commodities. It does not take any prior business/economic/financial knowledge to understand Rogers' idea, except for the universal supply-and-demand concept.

As an introductory guide, this book is more inspirational than...more
Luke
A good book for someone interested in learning more about commodities and possibly investing in them. Rogers does a good job combating the misconceptions and encourages the reader to do their research, gain comfort and make commodities part of their portfolio. The book covers the basics, but at times it doesn’t go as deep as I would like it to. The last few chapters of book cover a handful of commodities and Rogers provides a good example of how to approach the analysis of commodities. This book...more
Spm
Rogers proves once again his talent for predicting the cyclical inevitabilities in the commodities market.

After he made a fortune during the last commodity boom, over a quarter of a century ago, he jumped in just before the current one we face. While we are now bitching about high oil prices, escalating food prices, and rising tangible good costs Rogers recognized the emerging patterns years before and created a commodities fund - scoring big.

Fascinating read. He makes it look so easy.
Davis
Good book on the fundamentals of commodities trading. Does not cover charting or technical trading. Written in 2004 so it is out dated when he begins talking about individual commodities, but gives you immediate feedback whether his ideas were right or wrong. I believe he has been mostly right about his predictions. If you already know about derivatives trading, then some of the chapters can be skipped.
Katie Weiler
Extremely informative book on investing in commodities. It is a book about investing so it's not the most exciting, but it is totally worth the read. You do have to keep in mind that it was written in 2004 so current conditions have changed a lot, but the idea behind what he is talking about is still completely relevant.
Tom
A very readable record of where Jim Rogers sees commodity markets going. He deals with macro trends and how they may impact supply / demand / pricing in a variety of commodities. One of the real pleasures of this book is seeing a great investor tell a good story and wondering why most of us make speculation so difficult.
Swannells
It's not just love that makes the world go round. After reading this book, so do cattle, coffee, lead, and soy beans. Presents a whole new window on the worlds of commerce and investment. Definitely worth the time if stocks, bonds or real estate aren't making you happy.
Todd
I completely buy into Jim Rogers' investment thesis.
Lack of investment = Reduced supply
China's economic development = Increased demand
Prices for everything from agricultural commodities to oil and metals have been on a steady climb.
Adam
a little too bullish to be considered a balanced view, but still a good eye opener to the world of commodities: how they permeate our lives, and how to invest in them. A very quick read...
Joseph
A wonderful book, like how anyone can attest, on commodoties.

The key is to understand demand and supply of the underlying product.

A good beginner's guide to understanding how commodities work.
Ndeye Sene
Maybe too simplistic but it does a good job of explaining things simply. Best for complete novice-)
Wendy Hollister
Great insights on how to invest and what commodities to invest in our changing times.
Franco Arda
Jim loves commodities and is pretty convincing. I prefer his adventures stories though.
Derek Barnes
This guy is my new hero. I'll read anything he cares to write.
Jay Em
EXCELLENT BOOK.
JIM ROGERS IS A COMMODITIES GURU.
Veronica
Cool book about how to get started understanding the commodities market. Am completely convinced this is going to be the only way to make money when the stock market crashes.
Aleka
Aleka added it
Jul 02, 2014
William
William is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2014
Tang Kevin
Tang Kevin marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
  • How to Make Money in Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad
  • Buffettology: The Previously Unexplained Techniques That Have Made Warren Buffett the World's Most Famous Investor
  • The Dhandho Investor: The Low-Risk Value Method to High Returns
  • Crash Proof: How to Profit From the Coming Economic Collapse
  • The New Market Wizards: Conversations with America's Top Traders
  • Value Investing: From Graham to Buffett and Beyond
  • Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom
  • Security Analysis: Principles and Technique
  • Beating the Street
  • You Can Be a Stock Market Genius: Uncover the Secret Hiding Places of Stock Market Profits
  • Inside the House of Money: Top Hedge Fund Traders on Profiting in a Global Market
  • Hedgehogging
  • How I Made $2,000,000 In The Stock Market
  • The Warren Buffett Way: Investment Strategies of the World's Greatest Investor
  • The Essays of Warren Buffett: Lessons for Corporate America
  • Come Into My Trading Room: A Complete Guide to Trading
  • Confessions of a Street Addict
  • Way of the Turtle: The Secret Methods That Turned Ordinary People Into Legendary Traders
James Beeland Rogers, Jr. is an American investor and author, currently based in Singapore. Rogers is the Chairman of Rogers Holdings and Beeland Interests, Inc. He was the co-founder of the Quantum Fund with George Soros and creator of the Rogers International Commodities Index (RICI). He has travelled around t...more
More about Jim Rogers...
Adventure Capitalist: The Ultimate Road Trip Investment Biker: Around the World with Jim Rogers A Gift to My Children: A Father's Lessons for Life and Investing Street Smarts: Adventures on the Road and in the Markets A Bull in China: Investing Profitably in the World's Greatest Market