Start by marking “Baby Be-Bop (Weetzie Bat, #5)” as Want to Read:
Baby Be-Bop (Weetzie Bat, #5)

Baby Be-Bop (Weetzie Bat #5)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,926 ratings  ·  61 reviews
In the fifth of her highly acclaimed Weetzie Bat books, Francesca Lia Block delves into the early life of Dirk MacDonald. Dirk, whom readers first met in "Weetzie Bat", has always known he was gay. Struggling with what it means to be different, he ultimately learns to accept -- and love -- himself for who he is. "Block's writing, always passionate, dazzles here...[she] dis ...more
Published May 15th 1997 by Harper Teen (first published September 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Be-Bop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Be-Bop

Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia BlockI Was a Teenage Fairy by Francesca Lia BlockEcho by Francesca Lia BlockViolet & Claire by Francesca Lia BlockWasteland by Francesca Lia Block
Francesca Lia Block Novels
12th out of 27 books — 51 voters
Boy Meets Boy by David LevithanGeography Club by Brent HartingerAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenLuna by Julie Anne PetersRainbow Boys by Alex Sanchez
DCPL 's Teen GLBT Booklist, for OWL
23rd out of 65 books — 145 voters

More lists with this book...

Rory
Francesca Lia Block is one of my favorite writers of all time--not just as a young adult or children's author but of all genres. She write in a style that is thickly descriptive, flavored for all of the sense and filled with a sense of innocence with darkness of reality twisted in.

It was actually with Block how I figured out why I liked the young adult genre so much--when it comes to most "adult" novels--outside the genres of romance or horror or mystery--there is a world weariness that usually
Bitsy
With the three deaths that have happened recently, young people driven beyond the brink from being bullied due to their homosexuality, I was glad when I picked up the final book in the Dangerous Angels series. It gave me some hope.

Baby Be-Bop is a prequel of sorts to Weetzie Bat and tells the story of Dirk McDonald throughout his childhood and entering into adolescence. This is a coming out story of the first order. Dirk realizes from a very young age that he is different and later realizes that
Greta is Erikasbuddy
WHat a fantastic book!!

And guess what?!!!

This is NOT the last Weetzie Bat book like I thought. THere's a 6th one out there and a Pre-quel in the works. (I saw it is supposed to be released next August)

Baby Be-Bop is Dirk's story. We met Dirk in the 1st book. I originally thought that Dirk was going to be Weetzie's love interest. I think Weetzie thought that too. But no.. Dirk was meant for Duck :)

This was a very unique story. It was very very Francesca Lia Block!! I've read a few of her books a
Alex Mcgonagle
Nov 14, 2014 Alex Mcgonagle is currently reading it
Book review: Baby Be-Bop
Baby be-bop by Francesca Lia Block is about Dirk McDonald life, he lived with his grandmother fifi in a little gingerbread house in Hollywood. The main characters where Dirk, fify(grandmother) where the big main characters, there where some smaller main characters to, they are Pup, Duck and Bam-Bam. The plot developed when Dirk meet Pup in a tree,"as Dirk walked home from school he heard a whistle, and he looked up into an olive tree. In the branches sat a boy. He had br
Marie
Just like with the first four Weetzie Bat books, Baby Be-Bop is short, so my review will be too. And just like the other Weetzie Bat books, this one is written in a lyrical, dream-like style. I read the first five Weetzie Bat books back-to-back-to-back, so by the time I reached Baby Be-Bop I was totally used to the language.

Baby Be-Bop is told from Dirk's point of view. What makes it unique is that it's a flashback; it's Dirk's memories; instead of stream-of-consciousness in-the-moment like the
Julie Decker
As a teen, Dirk knew he was "supposed" to like girls, and didn't get why he seemed to like boys instead. Is it a phase, like his grandmother thinks? Or is there another option for boys who like boys? Through a series of painful experiences and confusion about what others expect, Dirk takes us through his first relationship with a guy, some of his family observations, and a wide spectrum of flowery anecdotes about the world as a whole.

I like that Block really nailed the shame and confusion here,
Zachary Doss
Another of my favorite books, for which there are simply not enough stars. A moving prose poem full of beautiful images and truly human pain and hope, a book about finding yourself, losing love, and holding fast to family. A story about how everyone has a story. Just lovely. Can't recommend it enough.
Pandora
This is one of top five books. Of all the Weetzie Bat books this one was my favorite. It has one of the best ending I ever read in a book. It one of the books I turn to when I need comfort. The style of the author is not for everyone but, I love it.
Jackie
I think I may be (finally) venturing into these books in a non-traditional order, but this was the only one the Chicago Public Library had for my kindle okaaaay?

There was a lot to like here. So much, in fact, that I threw my jet-lag recovery plan out the window and stayed up into the wee hours reading this in one go. It did indeed feel like a prequel to a story I hadn't read, but I didn't have any trouble sinking into this nineties-tastic world with its magic and its great names. Definitely one
Caitlin
Baby Be-Bop is the story of Dirk McDonald, a young man in L.A. who has always known that he was gay but has to hide that part of himself. Having been orphaned at a young age, he lives with his grandmother Fifi but fears that she will judge him for loving boys if he ever revealed his secret. Dirk arms himself by adopting the punk culture. When he shaves his hair into a blue mohawk, dons the leather jacket and hits the clubs, he looks too tough to mess with, even if someone did guess his secret. B ...more
J.
5Q 3P (my codes)
Electric language, shimmering imagery, and fantastical optimism. Francesca's prose glitters and pulses with the energy of the raves frequented by Dirk. There's a rhythm to her sentences that captivates the reader, in this heartbreaking story of unaccepted love and desperate longing for acceptance and love. Dirk is a teenage boy who lives with his ethereal grandmother "in her cottage with the steep chocolate frosting roof, the birdbath held by a nymph, and the seven stone dwarfs i
The Young Book Collector
The story opens up with Dirk as a child playing with his toys, and telling his grandmother Fifi, that all the men were taking showers. And that’s when he knew that he liked boys romantically, much to his grandmothers’ worries. Then it moves on to tell how Dirk is a big fan of James Dean, likes working-out, getting A’s in school, and keeping to himself in case someone got suspicious about his sexuality. The story speaks of Dirk’s home life with Fifi, and her cottage house with a chocolate frosti ...more
Kim
Oct 02, 2009 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Please note: this book appears to be unavailable as a standalone version. However, it has been collected with all the Weetzie Bat books in Block'sDangerous Angels, which is still in print.

"Our stories can set us free, Dirk thought. When we set them free."

Dirk McDonald has a secret, a dark secret that he thinks will destroy him if he tells the world. Yet others can sense what he's trying to hide, and one night their hatred erupts into violence, leaving Dirk brutally beaten and taking him on a mag
Qi Wen
The book take place during the late civil rights movement. Dirk the boy who try to find his own identity. Which he grow up with his grandmother and her grandma's best friend. I feel like Dirk has been influence by her grandma's best friends, who are gay. He want to find out who his father and mother are. He did so will in school. The one who can stand out in school and favor by many people. But he also find out himself is gay too. He knew that society can not except the fact but he can not help ...more
Swankivy
This book goes back in time before the Weetzie days to when Dirk was young, and details his experiences growing up gay. Because he has so many questions and fears about his sexuality, he is worried that his love is wrong and there is something the matter with him, especially since his grandmother insists it's "just a phase." But through a series of magical experiences, Dirk begins to see that the way he is different is not bad; it just takes some getting used to, for him and for other people.
Phyllis
This entry in the Weetzie Bat series is all about Dirk, Weetzie's best friend. It's really refreshing to see a book for teenagers with gay characters who aren't shrill Bobby Trendy-esque stereotypes, but I never understood why so much of the plot is taken up with heterosexual love stories from Dirk's relatives and there's a kind of weird not quite offensive but totally not okay moment when the ghost of his great-grandmother (just go with it, it's Francesca Lia Block) says something about her mea ...more
Jess
This is probably my second favorite "Dangerous Angels" book, after Weetzie Bat, of course. I love how we get glimpses into each character. It makes me feel so much closer to them. I think Block's novels get deeper as time goes on, and this one was so emotional and beautiful.

This one is a Weetzie prequel about her best friend Dirk and how he struggled as a closeted gay teen in high school (before he met his fabulous BFF). I love the California that Block portrays. It is always a grungey, glittery
Marjorie Elwood
Told in the magical language of Francesca Lia Block, this fifth and final of the Weetzie Bat series gives the story of Dirk and his coming out. It's also the tale of how important it is to share your story, despite how difficult that might be.

"Stories are like genies, Dirk thought. They can carry us into and through our sorrows. Sometimes they burn, sometimes they dance, sometimes they weep, sometimes they sing. Like genies, everyone has one. Like genies, sometimes we forget that we do.

Our stor
Kelsey
Age: 6th grade to 10th grade

A short read, Dirk is uncertain to whom to reveal his true sexuality so he masks his homosexuality in a new punk wardrobe. Towards the end of his despondent silence, he is put in a coma after being beat up by hate-filled bigots. Although the reader doesn't know he is in a coma, we suspect he is in an in-between world where he is visited by dead family members and people that will become important in his life. Dirk comes to accept his full identity after he hears the c
Cera
This is a perfectly good book, but it suffers in comparison to the fourth book in the sequence/series. I did like the focus on salvation through telling one's own story, and the idea that learning and incorporating our ancestor's stories is an important part of finding our own. I suspect it'd seem much stronger read on its own instead of immediately after Missing Angel Juan.
Tina Edwards
If I remember correctly I started this book twice but have never read it all the way through. If I did finish it I don't remember much about it. I prefer the Weetzie books that are from the girls point of view. If you notice most books that I read are from a girls point point of view. I just like those better in most cases. Francesca Lia Block also usually writes from a girls point of view and I think she writes better that way. So, not a favorite of hers for me at all.
Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea
This was touching. There was some discussion through the characters about adolescent boys who find mutual love for each other but because of the nature of the society they live in, it is very hard to show that love. In effect, one of them denies his desire and instead assimilates cultural/societal norms. It tells the story of Dirk's maturation to the point where he looks for his past--in a sense. Pretty good story.
S.Michelle
Baby Be-Bop started out well, I enjoyed the reality of Dirk's struggle with his feelings for Pup. The second part of Baby Be-Bop kind of confused me. With all the ghosts, jumping around from one person's POV to another... I got lost. I'm happy to say, though, that at the end Francesca Lia Block was able to pull it all back together for a beautiful ending. This is definitely a book to read.
Ann
Really beautifully written, and I loved the imagery in the parts that had magical realism elements. But I felt like it started to drag at the end, which isn't great when the book is so short, and there were a couple of philosophies on love that I really disagreed with. But really, the fact that it didn't hold my attention at all during the last fifteen pages is what brought this down to three stars for me.
Tama Wise
Someone recommended this book, and it was short and gay, so I picked it up for a quick read. Wow. You'd either love or hate the style of writing here. For me, the flowery and glittering world of Weetzie Bat was a hard one for me to get through (being the urban and gritty guy that I am). A friend of mine was right though when she said that it is a cool read for how it depicts Los Angeles of the 80s.
Amber
Not my favorite FLB book but still an awesome book for kids who feel like all they have is Twilight or Little House on the Prairie and nothing in between. It sucks to like reading and then hit a plateau and feel like there is nothing else around that has interesting characters or is relevant in any way. Of course there is plenty but you just need something like this to remind you.
A.E. Shaw

I am so thrilled to have read these. I can't believe how rich and ridiculous they are, and yet still, especially with this one, there are...themes that are so real, and so well-illustrated, so moving and beautiful and lush, I've never even imagined books like these, and I am already looking forward to reading them through again. Absolutely unique and utterly brilliant.
nimrodiel

I picked this up from the free books box at the used book store on my way to the train after work along with another book in the series.

I started reading this as I had finished my book earlier in the day. I was blown away by the poetic nature of the story. I have ordered the missing books in the Weetzie Bat books collection and am looking forwards to reading them.
Marie
Dirk is gay. When he tells his first crush of his interest, he is rejected. He is beat up by skinheads for being gay. While unconscious from the beating, he meets his ancestors. A very different story. Dirk has lots of love to give. There is lots of love around him. The soulmate he hasn't met yet is waiting. The whole focus of the story seemed to be love. Recommended.
Kathryn
I too picked this up after reading about the challenges in Milwaukee. Block's writing is very lyrical and far better that average fair. I enjoyed the way she brought in other family member's stories into Dirk's understanding of himself, giving him the courage to admit to his own truth. A worthy edition to coming of age stories and young adult gay literature.
  • From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun
  • Good Moon Rising
  • Deliver Us from Evie
  • The Graveyard Book Volume 2
  • My Heartbeat
  • To Wish for Impossible Things (Tales from Foster High, #3.5)
  • The Sixth Form
  • Captain Freedom
  • Courtney Crumrin's Monstrous Holiday (Courtney Crumrin, #4)
  • Awake
Francesca Lia Block was born in Los Angeles to a poet and a painter, their creativity an obvious influence on her writing. Another influence was her childhood love of Greek mythology and fairy tales.
She has lived in the city all her life, and still resides there with her daughter, Jasmine Angelina (about whom she wrote her book Guarding the Moon), her son Samuel Alexander, and her two dogs: a spr
More about Francesca Lia Block...
Weetzie Bat (Weetzie Bat, #1) Dangerous Angels (Weetzie Bat, #1-5) I Was a Teenage Fairy The Rose and the Beast: Fairy Tales Retold Echo

“I want to be untouchable and beautiful and completely dead inside.” 43 likes