Start by marking “The Great Inflation and Its Aftermath: The Past and Future of American Affluence” as Want to Read:

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  104 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The Great Inflation in the 1960s and 1970s, notes award-winning columnist Robert J. Samuelson, played a crucial role in transforming American politics, economy, and everyday life. The direct consequences included stagnation in living standards, a growing belief—both in America and abroad—that the great-power status of the United States was ending, and Ronald Reagan’s elect ...more
Published November 11th 2008 by Random House (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Inflation and Its Aftermath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Inflation and Its Aftermath

Richard Derus
I don't like Reaganomics. I don't like the capitalist world that it created, with its massive and absurd inequalities in rewards for labor. I don't like the idea of medicine for profit, or the notion that people *should* retire at a give age willy-nilly.

So I was predisposed to dislike this book because it extols the risk/reward rules that I so frown on. I ended up not disliking the book, though I still dislike the system it praises. Samuelson sings the conservative aria that entitlement spending
Alan
Feb 02, 2009 Alan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book suffers from bad timing. Issued early in 208, it has already been overtaken by events. It shows I suppose the inability of economists to foresee the future.
When this book came out we were already in our current recession/depression, although that was not yet clear. The author was dimly aware of the sub-prime crisis but obviously could not imagine the way it was to bring down the entire world economy, wiping out trillions of dollars of accumulated wealth, throwing millions out of work
Glen
Jan 10, 2010 Glen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"What succeeds and would be popular in the long run is often unpopular in the short run. What's popular in the short run often fails in the long run." -

"As we weigh our economic prospects, we need to recall the lessons of the Great Inflation. Its continuing significance is that it was a self-inflicted wound: something we did to ourselves with the best of intentions and on the most impeccable of advice. Its intellectual godfathers were without exception men of impressive intelligence. They were c
Colin Curran
Mar 06, 2011 Colin Curran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very balanced overview of the economic history of the US since WWII and the crucial role that inflation has played over the last 65 years. Samuelson argues convincingly that Reagan's support of Paul Volcker's tight money policy was his single largest accomplishment in domestic policy--not tax or spending policy--that set the stage for the economic recovery of the 80s and 90s.

Though I don't agree with all of his views, I credit Samuelson with presenting a fair, non-polemical accounting
Brooks
Apr 29, 2009 Brooks rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting history. Basic premise is that the inflationary period of the 1970s impacted global perception and history as much as the great depression. The fault of this inflationary period goes way beyond Carter to Johnson who first imposed wage and price controls. These were supported and strengthened through Nixon and Ford administrations. Finally, under Carton inflation grew above 10%. The cause was not oil or food prices, but government policy that cause the inflation. The great inflat ...more
Dustin Hill
A Primer for the Fiscal Cliff

Robert Samuelson is the everyday economist. His background as a journalist means he's a better communicator than most economists. But that's not why you should read THE GREAT INFLATION. You should read THE GREAT INFLATION because soon enough we'll all wish we understood inflation better.

Perhaps you have heard: We're all on bus that we're not sure has any brakes left. A fiscal cliff awaits. If the American economy goes off the fiscal cliff, it seems likely that inflat
Cheri
May 29, 2009 Cheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little torn on this book. As some reviewers have pointed out, it's already out of date: like other economist, the author fails to predict the devastating economic severity of the subprime debacle in his mono focus on the perils of inflation. But for those of us born after 1965, The Great Inflation and Its Aftermath presents the history of the inflationary '70s in a clear, intelligible format that's easy to digest (not so of many econ books).

Robert J. Samuelson weaves a good tale as he tra
E
Jan 10, 2010 E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Detailed economic analysis

Recessionary times have led many people to re-evaluate their long-held beliefs about the financial system. His history-based economic analysis makes journalist Robert Samuelson’s fresh investigation of the insidious effects of inflation especially interesting. He covers the advent of inflation in the U.S. in the 1960s, and explains how it changed the nation’s economic thought and vision. Like a mutated gene, inflation assumed a life of its own and spawned the “new econ
Nilesh
The book is a fabulous read to understand the events of the seventies and inflation fear that drives today's central banks. The book's utility is maximum when it is narrating what happened at the time and how various parties reacted. However, the author almost completely loses it whenever he is trying to ascertain how critical what happened then has been responsible for all the good later. The book completely degenerates towards the end when it tries to square everything by making recent events ...more
Karen
Jun 05, 2009 Karen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was hoping for details on who did what to create and then squelch the high inflation in the USA in the '70s. But this book was short on detail and contained too much opinion and conjecture.

It was useful in a minimal way, by presenting a theory/point of view (the '70s inflation was caused by economists' and political leaders' mistaken belief in their ability to increase employment by choosing a moderately higher inflation level along the Phillips curve).

The reader can evaluate that theory by re
Amy
May 23, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Governmental policies in the 1960's and 1970's led to double-digit inflation, which Reagan and Volcker managed to vanquish, but only through a severe recession in 1981-1982. This transformed our economy and led to the prosperity of the next two decades. Samuelson believes that we are at another crucial juncture and the decisions our country makes now could transform capitalism in America yet again. He gave me much to think about and broadened my understanding of our recent economic history. This ...more
Chris
Nov 11, 2010 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book explaining the cause and effect of U.S. inflation in the 70's/80's. Although Reagan's fiscal policies were ineffective, it took some courage for him to back Fed Reserve Chairman Volcker's monetary policies of fighting inflation knowing that doing so would bring America into a deep recession. It is also interesting how much the economy can be affected by the public's confidence (or lack there of) of the financial markets.
Jacob
This book was a quick read, but that's because it doesn't have as much to say as it should. Samuelson picked out a good trend and had some good ideas about it, but suffers from "I don't have enough to say, so I'll repeat myself" syndrome. Instead, we should get more about why inflation is so bad, how expectations of inflation affect people's behavior, and what kinds of things are good or bad to do with your money when inflation is high or low.
MikeFromQueens
Pretty good detailed account leading up to Paul Volker and Ronald Regan. A little disappointing on details after that period. In essence, it was a strong case against Kenyesian intervention in attempt to control business cycles, though it was more of a report without delving into theory. It was a good read.
Jana
May 04, 2009 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating overview of the "Great Inflation" of the 70s, and the affects thereof. Highly recommended if you have more than a passing interest in, what Samuelson argues, was a defining moment in our post-WWII economic world.
Eblong
Feb 11, 2009 Eblong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Translated to what is going on in early 2009, this book makes it sound like the government - GOP and Dem - has had it wrong since the 1960's by worrying about unemployment at the complete expense of devaluing our dollar.
Robert
Jul 10, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good discussion about inflation, its causes and the approaches of past administrations in dealing with it. one of the main themes is that it is impossible to control inflation and have full employment at all times.
Thomas Gross
Oversimplified and argumentative - Samuelson sic's (sic) an oral statements and the sic (sic) is questionable.
Blake
Oct 01, 2009 Blake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made a good case for remembering the great inflation and the bad effect it had on the economy.
Brian
Sep 11, 2009 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
already a tad out of date, but still very relevant. it's a bit like reliving the seventies though
William J.
A good read! Clearly emphasizes why inflation is more important to control than unemployment.
Kenneth H Anderson
Kenneth H Anderson rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Clifford Sosin
Clifford Sosin rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Nicolas D'Alessandro
Nicolas D'Alessandro marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Michele Ricci
Michele Ricci marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
IHSAN
IHSAN marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Muhammad Nouman
Muhammad Nouman marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Fatema Pacha
Fatema Pacha rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Toan Le
Toan Le rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Matt Webb
Matt Webb rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
  • Hamilton's Blessing: The Extraordinary Life and Times of Our National Debt
  • The Origin of Financial Crises: Central Banks, Credit Bubbles, and the Efficient Market Fallacy
  • When Money Dies: The Nightmare Of The Weimar Hyper Inflation
  • The Subprime Solution: How Today's Global Financial Crisis Happened, and What to Do about It
  • Comeback America: Turning the Country Around and Restoring Fiscal Responsibility
  • Origins of the Crash: The Great Bubble and Its Undoing
  • False Economy: A Surprising Economic History of the World
  • Secrets of the Temple: How the Federal Reserve Runs the Country
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Vietnam War
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal
  • Wilderness at Dawn: The Settling of the North American Continent
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Presidents: From Wilson to Obama
  • God and Gold: Britain, America, and the Making of the Modern World
  • The Great American Stickup: How Reagan Republicans and Clinton Democrats Enriched Wall Street While Mugging Main Street
  • America's God and Country Encyclopedia of Quotations
  • Who Killed the Constitution?: The Assault on American Law and the Unmaking of a Nation
  • Bailout Nation: How Greed and Easy Money Corrupted Wall Street and Shook the World Economy
  • World War IV: The Long Struggle Against Islamofascism