Start by marking “Happy Trails to You: Stories” as Want to Read:
Happy Trails to You: Stories

Happy Trails to You: Stories

When Julie Hecht's stories first appeared in The New Yorker, her unnamed photographer-narrator became an instant literary icon. Chronicles of her strategies for surviving civilization's decline -- herbal remedies, macrobiotics, a bit of Xanax -- have established her as one of the most captivating and eagerly read voices in modern literature.

In this new collection of stor
Published May 6th 2008 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Happy Trails to You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Trails to You

Dfunky1
Jul 26, 2008 Dfunky1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This hilarious take on modern life contains stories in which a vegan, hyper-paranoid, misanthropic, anxiety-ridden woman tries and fails to come to grips with the world around her. The reader at once feels for her and wants to throttle her (our protagonist) for her holier than thou goody two shoes attitude.
Elizabeth
Aug 20, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long before Sedaris, there was Hecht. 'Nuff said. So delightful to read her sardonic, neurotic, slouchy prose again....
Jeff Friederichsen
Julie Hecht's short story collection describes in first person, and with self-conscious humor, a mid-life, upper middle class woman in rural Connecticut, conflicted between her idealistic concerns and the social life of those around her. Told with great hilarity in places, and a general sense of absurdity throughout, my lasting impression is one of empathy for her self-inflicted angst, some of which I share.
Kasey Jueds
Sep 14, 2010 Kasey Jueds rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I have Julie Hecht's first collection of stories, Do The Windows Open?, about five times, and each time I end up laughing out loud; this volume is just as funny and quirky, though a little bit darker and sadder, since the heroine (an incredibly neurotic woman who sometimes, embarrassingly, reminds me of myself) is older and seems more isolated, and lonelier, than she did in DTWO. Julie Hecht's sense of humor is of the "love it or hate it" variety, I think; I happen to love it, but have shared th ...more
Martin
Aug 07, 2008 Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful, hilarious, oddly appealing short stories. Can't explain why I love her work so much, but I do.
Sep 09, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could eat this book, I would.
Becky
Feb 04, 2009 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Becky by: browsing library
Bizarre. That would be the one word that I would use to describe this book. The randomness, the paranoia, the self-righteousness - it all threw me for a loop. I just can't believe that at some points I actually was identifying with the main character because she is such a liberal freak of nature. The nameless character has anxiety attacks because the whole nation found out about good ol' Bill Clinton's scandal. And by the sound of it our nation is hopelessly and irrevocably becoming less intelli ...more
Kate
Jan 02, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anxious vegan photographers
Recommended to Kate by: Harper's
Shelves: short-stories
"I'd recently heard a Ukrainian or Russian--a big, Soviet-looking expert--explaining how the poisoned Prime Minister of the Ukraine could have eaten soup without tasting the dioxin that almost killed him and did disfigure his face. 'It was thick borscht--with garlic, onions, cabbage, turnips, kale,' the expert said in his thick accent, which made the soup sound even thicker. The explanation was that with all these healthful, strong flavors of vegetables, with spices, too, the Prime Minister migh ...more
Melanie
May 21, 2008 Melanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i LOVED do the windows open but this book left me feeling like julie hecht was doing a julie hecht imitation. many said they found the character irritating in her previous book, but i actually found her funny & "relatable" (whatever that says about me.) but in this book, i found her grating and offensive. maybe it's me who's changed. but there was a big difference to me in someone talking about their anxiety about the LIE - oh, boy, can i relate - and someone talking about their annoyance th ...more
Alex Templeton
I had a very hard time connecting to this collection of short stories until the very end. I found them meandering and without an emotional core that I could find (except a sense of the loneliness and isolation, which was present throughout the book but only really apparent to me in the last two stories in the collection). These are not poorly written stories, however, just...airy in the reading.
John
Jun 23, 2011 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good writing, but I'd recommend reading the other books first, the narrator doesn't seem quite as neurotically quirky here. Also, it helps to be familiar with Nantucket (where I am writing this review as it turns out).
Lisa
Nov 13, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would not compare Hecht to Sedaris. This book was okay but slow. Quirky, yes, but not funny, more sad. But not sad enough...a little was fine, the whole book of stories with the same character tired me.
Susan Merrell
Oct 14, 2013 Susan Merrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dry and funny, and surprisingly disturbing, the narrator of these stories becomes more interesting with each turn of the page.
Kelly
Oct 11, 2008 Kelly marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up at hte library too. It's always nice to have a book of short stories sitting around....easy to pick it up and read one at a time, here and there. This looked promising.
Dana
Jan 26, 2012 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it hard to rate this book... on one hand I really like the writing style of the author. On the other hand she can often come off very self righteous and annoying at times.
Audrey
Sep 06, 2008 Audrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories all struck the same note--a good note, a lingering note--but I'd have liked a bit more variety.
Benjamin Reiss
Benjamin Reiss rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2015
Bethany.
Bethany. rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2008
Nora
Major mixed feelings about this one. Can't really rate it.
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2011
Emma
Emma rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2012
Carl
Carl rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2008
Jennifer rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2008
Leighann
Leighann rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2012
Khalym
Khalym rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2013
caitlin craig
caitlin craig rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2009
Jana
Jana rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2008
Alexa Sotelo
Alexa Sotelo rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2014
Alison
Alison rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2010
  • Evil: A Primer: A History of a Bad Idea from Beelzebub to Bin Laden
  • Stacked: A 32DDD Reports from the Front
  • 1929: A Novel of the Jazz Age
  • Atlas of the Human Heart
  • The Bigger the Better, the Tighter the Sweater: 21 Funny Women on Beauty, Body Image, and Other Hazards of Being Female
  • Married Love and Other Stories
  • Nothing But You: Love Stories From The New Yorker
  • And Also Sharks
  • Cleopatra's Nose: 39 Varieties of Desire
  • Freedom Is a Two Edged Sword
Julie Hecht is a contemporary American fiction writer specializing in interlacing short stories. She is best known for her book "Do the Windows Open?," a series of short stories some of which first appeared independently in The New Yorker.
More about Julie Hecht...