Start by marking “Hellboy, Vol. 9: The Wild Hunt (Hellboy, #9)” as Want to Read:
Hellboy, Vol. 9: The Wild Hunt (Hellboy, #9)
Preview

Hellboy, Vol. 9: The Wild Hunt (Hellboy #9)

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  2,747 ratings  ·  87 reviews
When ancient giants begin to reawaken in the British Isles, Hellboy is invited to join an ancient band of fellow monster hunters called the Wild Hunt and help bring them down. But an unexpected betrayal sends Hellboy after a quarry far more deadly: the Queen of Blood, first seen in 2007's best-selling Hellboy: Darkness Calls. This newly reborn evil has her murderous sights ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 192 pages
Published March 23rd 2010 by Dark Horse Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hellboy, Vol. 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellboy, Vol. 9

[Name Redacted]
Nothing is as it seems when giants rise from the dead, faerie courts lose their kings, and Hellboy learns the hard way that no good deed goes unpunished. Possibly the best "Hellboy" story in ages, full of stunning revelations, shocking betrayals, terrifying new foes, heartbreaking choices and a spectacular mixture of Hellboy's past, present & future.

While the "B.P.R.D" series faces the coming apocalypse with unflagging seriousness, "Hellboy" is a beautiful mixture of light and dark. The tit
Steven Harbin
Finished this one in two sittings at my local bookstore cafe. I think it's the best Hellboy in a while. I particularly liked how Mignola returned to much of the mythological and fantastic threads or themes from "The Corpse" and "Darkness Calls". Artist Duncan Fegredo did an excellent job of capturing the Hellboy gothic feel that Mignola did in the best of the series. Some new characters are introduced, with some old ones re-appearing. I think those people who are already Hellboy fans will really ...more
Martha
The only problem with this Hellboy installment is the ending cliffhanger! I want to know what happens! ;p

Okay, that aside, this is definitely one of the most enjoyable Hellboy editions, along with Wake the Devil and Darkness Calls. The references to mythology and folklore are bountiful and varied. I also loved how bit players from previous stories are included in the major plotline; it was unexpected and I wonder if Mignola knew what was going to happen all along or if it just ended up fitting t
Sesana
Directly following up Darkness Calls, this volume follows up on the story thread of the new witch queen, which had run in the background in the previous volume. It also explores Hellboy's maternal line, and sets up what will probably be another interesting phase in Hellboy's life. The pace wasn't perfect, but overall, I was very happy with this installment. I'm still loving Fegredo's art.
Orrin Grey
I've spent the last few days trying to articulate or quantify my feelings about The Wild Hunt. It's pretty much the biggest turning point in the Hellboy universe up 'til now, and a lot of stuff happens in these eight issues. It's good, of course, but it's also a lot to take in and contextualize. I have a feeling that I won't really know how I feel about it until a little bit down the road.

Some of the stuff that happens here sounds, on paper, like decisions I might not like, but Mignola pulls off
Keely
It's hard to overstate how impressed I continue to be with Fegredo's artwork as this series continues. He took in Mignola's style, refined it, and recreated something which perfectly captures that feel--which is somehow even more Mignola than the original. The fact that his work on other books explores completely different styles with equal effectiveness has left me with the strong impression that he is one of the most skilled artists working in the medium today.

I'm also glad that Mignola has be
Mandy
While the cliffhanger ending left me gnashing my teeth, I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna have to see how the entire multi-arc plays out. I like where some of this is going, but I'm not sure I like ALL of it... I mean, we've got a lot of mythos balls in the air, everything from King Arthur to the Wild Hunt, to all sorts of Faerie critters and Gods and witches...

Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out.

I have to say, I really like Fegredo's work on this, and his Hellboy is a little more organ
Brooke
Icats
I was so excited when I saw that there was a new Hellboy volume out and I was not disappointed. The story starts out with the Giants of London awakening followed by the Queen of Blood, who of course wants to destroy all humanity. We see how past characters and mythology start to tie together and then Mignola adds in a King Arthur twist that was most excellent. Can’t wait until volume 10.

P.S. Also enjoyed the Duncan Fegredo gallery at the end of the book and his “Wow, gorgeous...Why?”
Evan
This will probably go down in history as one of the coolest, best thought out comic book series of all time. What seemed like a series of random vignettes has grown into an epic tale. If you haven't read this series, or perhaps read one of the short story collections and didn't get a feel for the scope, I implore you to go to the store and buy volumes 1 through 8, and prepare for what will most likely be an awesome, satisfying heart-wrenching series finale. I cannot wait for the next volume.
Madkropotkin
I would have given this graphic novel 4 stars, except that just when the story was getting really interesting, they ended it. I buy graphic novels in order to avoid the cliffhangers and having to wait for the next issue.

The Story was interesting and the art was very well done, a fun read, I just hope the continuation doesn't disappoint.
Ben
Wow! The Hellboy legend grows deeper and even more interesting. These books are amazing, and this story in particular takes huge steps and hints at a grand finale.
John
Now we're cooking!
Matthew Brady
Yep, another good Hellboy volume. Big stuff going on in this one, with our man learning a big secret of his origin/lineage and attempting to grasp the task before him while still fighting against his destiny as the beast of the apocalypse. For such a stoic character, Mignola and Fegredo do a great job of making his internal struggle felt, while still delivering some great punch-em-ups and striking imagery, including armies of dead knights, Hellboy fighting a group of giants, Hellboy fighting his ...more
Willem van den Oever
When a group of murderous giants is stalking the English country sides, monsterhunter Hellboy is recruited by a group of elderly noblemen to join in the “Wild Hunt”: a hunting party occasionally brought together to push back these mythological monsters.
But the hunt is barely underway when Hellboy is betrayed and left in the forest. Awakening after a series of visions and dreams, he is reluctantly pushed forward to dig deeper into the history of England and the rising of a mysterious Queen of Blo
Sam Quixote
Hellboy comes out of hiding to take part in the Wild Hunt where giants are hunted and beheaded. This leads to a bigger story where his life's purpose is brought up, his heritage is revealed, and his destiny is presented to him. A new enemy, a dead blood witch, is raising an army to slaughter England and Hellboy needs to take up his mantle and raise an army to fight them.

Duncan Fegredo once again takes over the art with Mike Mignola scripting the story. Fegredo is, I'm convinced, one of the best
Jessica at Book Sake

Hellboy is the mythological hero for our generation. He faces all sorts of evil monsters and dark witches, but he also has fears and doubts which make him more human. Of course he isn’t human. He is a giant red demon with an oversized right arm, which can pretty much smash through anything. However he also breaks off his horns in an attempt to be more human. These are the things that make Hellboy so exciting and accessible.

This latest volume of the Hellboy doesn’t disappoint. In fact it really e
Juju
Wow. I've been waiting to read this one for months now and I am so glad I waited for the fall. The story already evokes the cool, strange evenings and the change in the air. This series has gotten so good I simply couldn't put this book down. I wanted to read The Wild Hunt over the course of a couple weeks but by the third part I could not stop.

As much as I love Mignola drawing Hellboy, I think this is the best possible incarnation of this series. Fegredo's art is simply great throughout. He man
Dan
I love Hellboy... simple as that. Right behind The Sandman and Preacher, Hellboy is one of my favorite comic book series ever... EVER! Why? I've been a mythology/fairy tale/occult fan since I was a little kid, and Hellboy hits all of the above in exactly the right spot. This time out, in "The Wild Hunt," Hellboy is rolled up in some heavy Britonian/Arthurian legend that at first made me say, "WTF?!" but which soon settled in to make a hell of a satisfying read.

I'd fallen behind on Hellboy books,
Helmut
Die Folgen guter Taten

Gute Taten bringen Glück für sich selbst und für andere.

Oder auch nicht, sondern sie zerstören die Welt, wie wir sie kennen. Hellboy erfährt in diesem Band, dass alles, was er tut, auf ihn in der Form zurückfällt, wie es seine Vorbestimmung vorsieht. Er versucht seinem Schicksal zu entkommen, doch irgendwie ist das Schicksal immer einen Schritt voraus.

Viele Rückblicke auf Hellboys bisherige Abenteuer machen diesen Band zu einem Fadenverknoter - ein langes Abenteuer ersetzt
Josh
Apr 16, 2015 Josh rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Fegredo is a genius. Love his stuff. Mignola is pivoting into a more epic hero quest with this volume. He seems, almost suddenly, to be weaving in a lot of the disparate stories and characters from various prior volumes. He's doing so with a lot of info dumps and it's a bit of a complex mess. Honestly I really don't care much about all the little details. As before, the visuals, world, and humor carry the day and there's a nice attempt here to give Hellboy a little more pathos and some other sym ...more
Marshall Pickens
I have to admit that I grew up loving to read comics, but as I got older I felt that it wasn't something an adult should do. Well this series of "graphic novels" or big comics is one that I feel right at home reading as an adult. I love how Mignola brings in folk tales and fairy tales from all over the world. In a previous edition it was from Russia, and others have been from all over Europe. This one brings in the legend of King Arthur. The only unfortunate thing about this one is that it would ...more
Shaun
Being the middle act in Hellboy's final act, there's a lot of floating between point A and point B going on in this volume. I've always enjoyed Hellboy's struggle with the 'demon inside' and his struggle with wanting to be a hero and fearing he was something else. His growth and discovery on that point is the part of this volume that sticks with me after I set it down. Fegredo's art continues to work very well and the assembling of the old rogues gallery as they line up to watch the end is pleas ...more
"Then I saw another beast which rose out of the Earth. It had two horns like a lamb and it spoke like a dragon"

This volume of Hellboy has some great baddies in it and weaves The Wild Hunt and King Arthur mythologies into the Hellboy story quite well. Basically Nimue and Morgan le Fay are gathering their armies/champions to fight for them over the ruling of Britain/the world... Along with some cool looking giants and demon/goblin thingys. Also some old dudes (who I'm assuming are "the noble dead
Fraser Sherman
Another excellent entry. The sinister Osiris Club lures Hellboy into a battle against England's ancient giants, only to have him betrayed and wandering into a world of myth where he meets Morgan leFay and gets a surprise about his ancestry. Meanwhile Nimue the sorceress prepares to drown the world in blood ....Probably won't work if you haven't read the earlier volumes though.
logankstewart
The Wild Hunt is possibly the best graphic collection so far in the Hellboy universe. The artwork is beautiful, especially the huntsmen. The plot is crazy-good, partially because I've always been a fan of Arthurian legends and partially because so much happens in this volume.

Hellboy's destiny still calls, and we wonder how long he can refuse. Also, the antagonist's identity becomes known, and this makes the arc better for it.

If you've read the previous eight volumes of Hellboy, then you'll likel
kaelan
(view spoiler) My current opinion, however, is that I preferred the series when it was more understated and mysterious–tha ...more
Travis Roberson
When I first started reading The Wild Hunt, it was actually issue by issue. I got up to the fourth issue and had to stop reading comic books for a while because they were draining my wallet. A month ago I powered through B.P.R.D./Hellboy in their entirety. I finally got to read Wild Hunt in completion. I remember reading it issue by issue and not knowing what in the hell was really going on. This time, with the Hellboy mythos fresh in my mind, I had a better grasp on things, not having Darkness ...more
Bevans
Wow, what a ride. At the beginning, it seemed like this would be just another monster-killing story (not that that's a bad thing). However, the scope of the story quickly expanded to encompass the entire Hellboy mythology, drawing together seemingly unrelated aspects and unifying them as a whole, and giving us a good glimpse of what's to come.

For people like me who've been hoping to see more of the main story arc (the Right Hand of Doom and all that) this was a torrential downpour when we've pre
  • Hellboy: Odder Jobs
  • Hellboy: The Companion
  • Hellboy: On Earth as it is in Hell
  • Hellboy: Emerald Hell
  • B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 3 (B.P.R.D., #6-8)
  • Hellboy: The God Machine
  • Hellboy: Unnatural Selection
  • Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
  • The Goon, Volume 3: Heaps of Ruination
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 3: Bound
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 5: Earth to Earth
  • Planetary, Vol. 4: Spacetime Archaeology
  • Northlanders, Vol. 5: Metal and Other Stories
  • Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time (Atomic Robo, #3)
  • RASL, Vol. 2: The Fire of St. George (RASL, #2)
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...

Hellboy (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy, #1)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 6: Strange Places (Hellboy, #6)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 7: The Troll Witch and Others (Hellboy, #7)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 8: Darkness Calls (Hellboy, #8)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 10: The Crooked Man and Others (Hellboy, #10)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 11: The Bride of Hell and Others (Hellboy, #11)
Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy, #1) Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3) Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2) Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4) Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)

“No rain but thunder, and the sound of giants.” 3 likes