Start by marking “Lone Wolf” as Want to Read:
Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf (Zack Walker #3)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  833 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Newspaper writer, family man, and reluctant hero Zack Walker has stumbled onto some dicey stories before, but nothing like what he’s about to uncover when a mutilated corpse is found at his father’s lakeside fishing camp. As always, Zack fears the worst. And this time, his paranoid worldview is dead-on.

While the locals attribute the death to a bear attack, Zack suspects so
Published September 26th 2006 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Lone Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lone Wolf

Jenn

Another superb read in the Zack Walker mystery series. Once an asshole, always an asshole! However, he now meets up with his father's neighbors who reign supreme over being assholes. Although I do find Zack to be much more subdued in this one.
Bev
I found myself laughing out loud several times while reading this book. I really liked being able to read suspense and laugh so much. It was good that the suspense was not really scary. Then I could easily sleep after reading. My husband read it too and I cannot remember him reading a book so quickly. He liked it very much.
Hella Comat
I always like Linwood Barclay's books, and since I've read the most recent ones, I'm reading some I must have missed. This mystery's set in northern Ontario, well know to Barclay who grew up there. Fast action, unpredictable, and a smart ass main character - what more could you want?
Wilton314
'The sh*t you get into. I do declare.' So says Lawrence Jones to his friend Zack Walker near the end of Lone Wolf, the third in Linwood Barclay's series featuring anti-hero Zack Walker, sci-fi novelist and self professed paranoid geek turned newspaper reporter. And it's true. He's like Jessica Fletcher in Murder She Wrote - trouble just seems to follow him wherever he goes. This time around Zack visits his father after a false alarm call saying his father may have been gruesomely killed by a bea ...more
William Arsenis
I've read and reviewed Linwood Barclay's BAD GUYS and BAD MOVE, and so I was disappointed when I started reading LONE WOLF.

I was expecting the same degree of humor and page-turning suspense that I'd come to expect after reading his previous books. It was definitely Linwood Barclay. Same prose, same approach to story writing, but so, so boring. I usually read books in a matter of days. A week tops. I bought LONE WOLF on September 8th, 2012. I kid you not. I gave up on it and tried again twice las
Karen
LONE WOLF LINWOOD BARCLAY (ZACK WALKER #3)
Zack is summoned to his dads fishing camp when he hears that dad may have met a bad end as a result of a bear attack. Upon his arrival he finds out such is not the case but a man has been mauled to death. There are other nefarious issues abounding in the small town of Braynor. The mayor is receiving death threats, a co-op staff member is found murdered and fertilizer is missing. Zacks fathers tenants are hate mongering survivalists with killer pitbulls.
Counsel182
Another fine "escapist" book...although a bit hard to judge the settings. I always figured Barclay worked in Toronto and the setting in this book was in the Muskoka region but I guess I figured wrong because some of the main "villains" in this book is a stereotypical family of Tim McVeigh idolizes...a pretty scary bunch but not too realistic but again Barclay's a good escape.
Elise Buckley
Great cottage book: quick read; intriguing characters that find a middle ground somewhere between deep and static; and a likeable everyman-type narrator. Plot, characters, dialogue fit together, sparking conflict then providing for a resolution that is not without twists.
Marca
My first Zack Walker book. Zack, a journalist, gets a call that his father has been killed by a bear at the fishing camp his father owns upstate. Let the fun begin. We meet a cast of small-town characters worthy of "The Cat Who..." books. Leonard the diaper king cracked me up several times. The author Barclay mixes murder, suspense, and humor in a way that I enjoyed very much. The intrigue revolved around a family of "Lone Wolves" that are renting the farm house on Zack's father's property. The ...more
Kevin Bachovchin
The Zach Walker series was pretty enjoyable. The plots weren't sensational, but Zach Walker is a very amusing character. All 4 books in the series made me laugh a lot, which is unusual for a mystery book.
Deb Howard
Unexpected turns in this one!

This Zachary Walker character is such a doofus! He is a magnet for trouble and awkward situations. Lots of humor among the plot twists and turns!
Glen Templeton
The third Zack Walker book I've read. Barclay has a very interesting mix of humor, mystery and dark humor. Worth the read, though the non Zack Walker books are much more interesting to me. I think Barclay has grown a lot as a writer and his more recent books are much better.
Linda Ostrom
Lone Wolf is a continuation of the first two books in the series about Zack Walker; Bad Move and Bad Guys. Zack is called to go to his father's fishing camp because a body had been found that was apparently killed by a bear and they couldn't locate his father. He was shaking as he drove. He got a lot more than he bargained for when he arrived at the camp. His father's property includes a farmhouse with a parcel of land rented to a family of very seriously insane people. As usual the book is open ...more
Robert
Lone Wolf is a good book that can be a bit predictable at times, however as a whole package this is still a good book. The characters are quite humorous, such as the owner of the diaper company that enjoys using his own products or the local sheriff that makes Barney Fife look like some type of superhero. And at the very end of the book you are being led directly into the path of book #4 in the series much as if the author had shoved you into the path of a speeding train. So sit down and grab so ...more
Alison Gaede MacNeil
I've read a few of his books and have really enjoyed them. This one I would not recommend, very predictable.
Mary Atchison
Entertaining story. A quick read. The ending was pretty predictable, but if you want a quick mystery, you will enjoy this.
Gronk
As a Linwood Barclay fan I was really disappointed in this book. I wasn't expecting the farcical situations and actions of characters.
Gwen Menz
good mystery and made me laugh out loud! I've ordered several more of Linwood Barclay's books, as I enjoyed this one so much.
L Ramos
on to the next Linwood Barclay! never disapoints
Sandra
A great ending, made me anxious to get the next in the series!
Dixie
Excellent...couldn't put it down
Robert Mclaughlin
Not a bad book, but predictable and not as good as the previous Barkley books read. Ex. The Accident, Fear the Worst, Never Look Away
Victoria
Well, I must say that my favorite book of this series is definitely Bad Move (the first book in the series). However, this installment was a lot of fun. It was a nice change of scenery and I liked Arlen's character quite a bit - it was a lot of fun to hear about another infamous "incident" too! The plot of Lone Wolf was more predictable than the other plots in the series, but the entertainment of the dialogue and characters more than makes up for it!
Gary
The 3rd book in the Zack Walker series by one of my favourite authors Linwood Barclay.
Another adventure in Zack's trouble filled life, full of action, thrills and a good dose of humour. Not Linwood Barclay's best work but they are certainly entertaining a well worth a read. The book finishes by setting up the the 4th and final episode of the Zack Walker series.
Vicky Tabor
Losing the humor that I enjoyed in this series. Sad.
Kevin
Reluctant hero, Zack Walker, is called to go to his Father's cabin because his Father is missing and a body which has been mutilated by a bear has been discovered close by. As usual Zack's paranoia is dead on. A brilliant plot line... funny and suspenseful. A great book in a fantastic series.
Sandra
This was a good book, I enjoyed it more than the second in the series, but not as much as the first. Zach is a great character and in this book we get to know his father, who is as much of a worrier as Zach is. Interesting plot, found it more believable than the last books.
Teena in Toronto
This is the third in Zack Walker series by Barclay. I enjoyed it as much as I did the others.

The writing style is funny and quick. Though I figured out some of the twists ahead of time (like Zack, I got one backwards), it was still an enjoyable read that I would recommend.
Patty
Very good book. At times serious, at times funny. Very good story. Loved the ending. This is the second book I have read by Linwood Barclay. After reading The Accident, I went on Amazon and ordered four more of his books.
Richard
This is the third in the series and i enjoyed it. This series has a light side to things but still brings enough suspense to keep you reading. Trouble seems to follow Zack and we learn a lot about his life as a young boy. 3.7
  • In Desperation (Jack Gannon #3)
  • By the Time You Read This (John Cardinal and Lise Delorme Mystery, #4)
  • Prayer for the Dead
  • Stray Bullets (Detective Greene, #3)
  • Nefarious (The Blackwell Files, #1)
  • Everybody Dies (Matthew Scudder, #14)
  • The Devil and the River
  • Left for Dead
  • Flynn's In (Flynn, #3)
  • Hijacked (The Appalachian Foothills #1)
  • And Then There Was One
  • The Drawing Lesson (Trilogy of Remembrance, #1)
  • Murder Suicide (Frank Clevenger, #5)
  • The Experiment
  • Fan Mail (Sophie Anderson, #3)
  • A Garden Of Vipers (Carson Ryder, #3)
  • Corpse In A Gilded Cage
Linwood Barclay is the #1 internationally bestselling author of thirteen novels, including Trust Your Eyes, A Tap on the Window, No Time for Goodbye and that novel's followup, No Safe House.
This summer, his thriller Broken Promise, the first of three linked novels about his fictional upstate New York town Promise Falls, will be released. Book two will come nine months later, and another nine month
More about Linwood Barclay...

Zack Walker (4 books)
  • Bad Move (Zack Walker #1)
  • Bad Guys (Zack Walker, #2)
  • Stone Rain
No Time for Goodbye Never Look Away The Accident Too Close to Home Fear the Worst