Start by marking “Stone Rain” as Want to Read:
Stone Rain

Stone Rain (Zack Walker #4)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  1,125 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
Metropolitan newspaper writer Zack Walker has a knack for stumbling onto deadly stories. But it’s one that his good friend Trixie Snelling doesn’t want told that’s about to unleash a storm of trouble. As a professional dominatrix in the suburbs, Trixie has her share of secrets, but Zack has no idea what she’s really hiding when a local newspaperman threatens to do an expos ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Stone Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone Rain

Col
Oct 09, 2012 Col rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, b

I’ve read most of Linwood Barclay’s latest offerings, No Time For Goodbye, Fear The Worst, Never Look Away with The Accident still waiting on the TBR pile.

This book is one of his earlier titles, the fourth in a series featuring Zack Walker, a newspaper reporter cum sci-fi novelist. Barclay’s Walker booked have been blurbed as Hiaasen-esque in style, but having read most of Hiaasen’s books I’m not too sure I would agree. There were a few chuckles, and possibly one laugh out loud moment, but he ne
Derek
Jun 01, 2012 Derek marked it as wont-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Won't read, won't rate...

First, we have a married couple working for a metropolitan newspaper where he reports directly to her. I'm sure it happens, but not often, because employers of any size don't let spouses report to each other - it's a recipe for disaster. Then, we have the managing director forcing the reporter to give up his sources and notes to a senior reporter: I'm certain that almost never happens, because you can't keep employees if you treat them that way. Finally, when we reached
Carolyn
I don't like my heroes to be quite so wussy. He was pretty smart but physically he couldn't defend himself. This was my first Zack Walker book and I can say that it didn't make me want to go back and read the previous three.
Chris
Aug 26, 2012 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I like the character, Zach Walker, and his family. This was an easy enjoyable mystery, with a little humor added in. I could have done without the frequent and repeated descriptions of nose picking though...,
Robert Palmer
May 15, 2017 Robert Palmer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really get into the first book but I think I bought the second before I had finished the first. Having bought it, I read the second, too. Then the third. Then the fourth. They grew on me or maybe I just acclimated to the craziness of the first book as time went on. Anyway, pretty good series.
Debra
Stephen King recommended author. He called him a suspense master.

I enjoyed this series very much. Zack Walker is a very unique, unlikely hero. Highly recommended. Wish there were more of them.
Craig
Jan 08, 2017 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The reviews compared this author, Linwood Barclay, to authors like Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiaasen, but Barclay is no where near their league. Stone Rain was an easy, quick read with a few laughs and no surprises.
Paul Parkinson
So sad this is the end of the Zach Walker series. What a really fun 4 books. Would love for him to bring Zach back????
Wilton314
Nov 04, 2013 Wilton314 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
Stone Rain, the fourth novel by Linwood Barclay featuring anti-hero Zack Walker is another rollicking ride of a read. I enjoyed this one as much as the three previous installments. Stone Rain follows on pretty much straight away where the third book, Lone Wolf finishes. Zack Walker, a so-so sci-fi writer turned newspaper feature writer and all around paranoid, just continues to get into sticky situations. This time it is because of his friendship with a former neighbour that leads him down a dar ...more
Karen
May 05, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
STONE RAIN LINWOOD BARCLAY (ZACK WALKER #4)
Once again Zack gets himself into the deep brown stuff when he sets out to help former neighbour and dominatrix Trixie Snelling. This comes right after his promise to his family to stay out of trouble. Good intentions-the road to hell is paved with them but Zack forges ahead to help his friend clear herself of murder charges when a relentless reporter is found dead in her basement. Her past is catching up to her and Zack is caught in the crossfire. Mean
Kat Dietrich
Stone Rain is the 4th in the Zack Walker comedy/mystery series by Linwood Barclay.

I'm back to being indecisive about this genre. I really liked the plot of this one, the humour, not so much.

Zack decides to help Trixie, his old dominatrix neighbour, by trying to dissuade Martin Benson, a local tabloid reporter, from running a story on her and "business". When Martin turns up dead, tied to a rack and with a cut throat in her basement, Trixie goes on the run. Zack, a suspect himself, sets out to fi
Stacey
Aug 17, 2013 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the end, I decided that I really, really enjoyed this book. I spent the first quarter confused but then I looked into it and found that it was the 4th in the series! I hate that! Almost gave it up but decided, no I'd finish it.
Good, fast paced plot with some sub-plots along the way. Not the most spectacular writing I've ever read but it was thrilling and funny which made up for it. What I definitely applaud him for is Zach's relationship with his kids. Spoken like a true parent and the relati
Robert
Jun 18, 2013 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Everyone should have a certain few authors that really get them excited about reading their books. Barclay is one of those authors for this reader. I am kind of bummed to see that this book, #4 in the Zack Walker series, was published in 2007. Since nothing new has come forth on the series this may actually be the end of it unless Barclay decides to write another in the future. This series has been very good and all of the books, this one included, were very good. Zack's old neighbor, Trixie, is ...more
Tom Kinney
Apr 01, 2014 Tom Kinney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Linwood Barclay is one of my favorite authors. He writes first rate standalone suspense thrillers now, but I really liked his Zack Walker series, because I like stories concerning an everyman who gets caught up in extraordinary circumstances.

Zack is a very likeable character, and it's interesting how he always seems to get in terrible trouble, put his marriage in jeopardy, yet manages to set things right again in the end. I've read the last two books in the Walker series,and now it's time to re
Bill
Jun 03, 2010 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I didn't really read this book. I gave up on it about halfway through. Perhaps it was because it wasn't the first in the series and I always felt that I had come in during the middle of the movie. But I also felt Barclay was trying to hard to be witty and I just didn't find Zack a very appealing character. Too much of a loser for me. I don't mind my detective heroes being loners, troubled souls who have looked into the abyss too ofter, but incompetent losers leave me cool these days.
Jesslaine
May 09, 2011 Jesslaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone really!
Dude I love Linwood Barclay Books!
I actually read this book first not knowing it was the 4th in a series. But even still, I had no issues along the way feeling like I was missing something. He is an expert at giving just enough background to keep you in the loop without ruining what's happened in previous books.

This plot was enticing through and through. I find it funny though that the book title still makes no sense to me!
Victoria
Oh, this was an exciting book! It was very well-plotted, though more serious in tone than the series' other installments. I really enjoyed it! It was a lot of fun to read, but in a bittersweet sort of way, since it seems Barclay has abandoned the series. I suppose there was closure, but it just didn't feel like a series finale to me. I sincerely hope that he someday returns to the thrillingly hilarious escapades of Zack Walker.
Gary
Dec 01, 2012 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 4th book by Linwood Barclay in the Zack Walker series. I have now finished all the books in this series and found these early Linwood Barclay books very entertaining and an enjoyable read. This series of books are slightly different from the latter books by Linwood Barclay in that they are more humorous and lighter.If you have read the previous 3 books you find the characters well developed and easy to follow. I enjoyed this book and now look forward to the next Linwood Barclay novel.
Diana Donnelly
May 26, 2016 Diana Donnelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of Linwood Barclay. This was about a newspaper reporter who also had written some science fiction. His last book was not too successful so he's back to working for the newspaper. He has a way of getting into trouble and along with the danger he encounters there is some comedy. I do not know if he'll write additional books about his main character but I can feel it continuing on. The language was not always to my liking but it didn't stop me from reading.
Palmreader
This is my first Linwood Barclay. Well written but just not very interesting. Not sympathetic with the lead character, would have been more interesting if he wasn't just so annoying. The story just isn't very interesting and rather formulaic. Perhaps it would work really well as a movie, but as a book, not so great.
Terri
Feb 25, 2012 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of Barclay - his books are fun reads and somewhat on the smarter side than your run-of-the-mill empty calorie James Patterson (not that I'm hating on a cupcake from time to time). Just the right balance of humor and creepy factor, with likeable characters a somewhat predictable plot, but I'll allow him that. A fun read on my new kindle fire!
Lori Verni-Fogarsi
I enjoyed this book immensely, from beginning to end. Although a mystery/thriller, the author's writing voice brings great personality to the characters. The plot was twisty, yet believable. Kept me up at night because I couldn't put it down. If you like Harlan Coben, then Linwood Barclay is a great author to check out!
Frances Scott
Jun 04, 2012 Frances Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I am a HUGE FAN of Linwood Barclay. His books have bumbling, loveable characters, absorbing and fast-paced story lines with interesting twists and turns, and a lot of humor. From the first Linwood Barclay I ever picked up, I was hooked and didn't stop until I'd read them all. Now I'm waiting for the next one. Give his books a try.
Aspin
Sep 05, 2012 Aspin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I still really like the writing style of Linwood Barclay, however, this was the weakest of the Zack Walker series. It didn't have the same level of humour as the first three in the series.

Still a good story and an enjoyable read. I still think bad move was the best book I've ever read. If you read this book I would recommend reading the series in order as they very much follow on.
Dorel
Oct 03, 2012 Dorel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I really liked the dialogue in the story it really made me laugh. I felt really bad for Trixie & I was glad she was able to start a new life. I thought Zack was really stupid. The storyline was ok it could have been better. This is the second book I read by Linwood Barclay I would read more books by him.
Linda Ostrom
Aug 25, 2011 Linda Ostrom rated it really liked it
I finished this book, which ended the Zack Walker series by Linwood Barclay. It was a great conclusion to a good series. Everything is explained. some very shocking and surprising developments coming from unexpected places. For anyone who likes a bit of mystery with some dry Canadian humour, this is the series for you.
Joyce McKune
Jul 30, 2016 Joyce McKune rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Zack is having lunch with Trixie to fine out what she needed help with before his adventure at his dad's. When she asked if he could intervene with another reporter who was trying to get her photo for a piece on kink in the suburbs, he had to say no. It would be unethical. Somehow, he got involved anyway and the usual problems ensued. Sometimes funny, sometimes scary, but always entertaining.
Cathy Jarvis
Apr 05, 2016 Cathy Jarvis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sorry to see this series "at the end." Unless the author continues with Zach in the future; and if he does I will certainly follow this character. Sometimes you just want to be entertained, laugh, have a little intrigue and mystery. I have thoroughly enjoyed all 4 of Barclay's books in this series.
Kevin
Zack is asked to help a friend and gets much more than he bargained for. Trixie sees two men who scare her to the point she runs away leaving Zach with a dead body and no clue how to pick up the pieces.
An excellent series! (I am sad this is the last one *fingers crossed, hoping there are many more).
Jamie Cane
excellent finish to the series of books assuming this is the last one...hope not I enjoy Zack and all the crap he gets himself into...not as good as the previous book but still pretty solid ...some laughs and some really dumb crooks again...top notch book nicely done Linwood
  • Stranglehold (Detective Greene, #4)
  • Ash & Bone (Frank Elder, #2)
  • The Price of Blood (Ed Loy, #3)
  • Bleed a River Deep (Inspector Devlin, #3)
  • The Damned Season
  • Flynn's In (Flynn, #3)
  • Detour
  • A Door in the River (Hazel Micallef Mystery #3)
  • The Lizard's Bite (Nic Costa, #4)
  • In the Dark
  • Falling Glass
  • Six Metres of Pavement
  • A Florentine Death (Michele Ferrara, #1)
  • A Necessary End (Inspector Banks, #3)
  • The Passenger
  • Watch Me Die (Stacy Killian, #4; The Malones, #5)
  • The Death Trust (Vin Cooper, #1)
Linwood Barclay is the #1 internationally bestselling author of thirteen novels, including Trust Your Eyes, A Tap on the Window, No Time for Goodbye and that novel's followup, No Safe House.
This summer, his thriller Broken Promise, the first of three linked novels about his fictional upstate New York town Promise Falls, will be released. Book two will come nine months later, and another nine month
More about Linwood Barclay...

Zack Walker (4 books)
  • Bad Move (Zack Walker #1)
  • Bad Guys (Zack Walker, #2)
  • Lone Wolf (Zack Walker #3)

“tape recorder in this car?” He looked around the interior. “Fuck, reporters at” 0 likes