Stone Rain

Stone Rain (Zack Walker #4)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  600 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Metropolitan newspaper writer Zack Walker has a knack for stumbling onto deadly stories. But it’s one that his good friend Trixie Snelling doesn’t want told that’s about to unleash a storm of trouble. As a professional dominatrix in the suburbs, Trixie has her share of secrets, but Zack has no idea what she’s really hiding when a local newspaperman threatens to do an expos...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Stone Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone Rain

Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime)
Won't read, won't rate...

First, we have a married couple working for a metropolitan newspaper where he reports directly to her. I'm sure it happens, but not often, because employers of any size don't let spouses report to each other - it's a recipe for disaster. Then, we have the managing director forcing the reporter to give up his sources and notes to a senior reporter: I'm certain that almost never happens, because you can't keep employees if you treat them that way. Finally, when we reached...more
Carolyn
I don't like my heroes to be quite so wussy. He was pretty smart but physically he couldn't defend himself. This was my first Zack Walker book and I can say that it didn't make me want to go back and read the previous three.
Chris

I like the character, Zach Walker, and his family. This was an easy enjoyable mystery, with a little humor added in. I could have done without the frequent and repeated descriptions of nose picking though...,
Wilton314
Stone Rain, the fourth novel by Linwood Barclay featuring anti-hero Zack Walker is another rollicking ride of a read. I enjoyed this one as much as the three previous installments. Stone Rain follows on pretty much straight away where the third book, Lone Wolf finishes. Zack Walker, a so-so sci-fi writer turned newspaper feature writer and all around paranoid, just continues to get into sticky situations. This time it is because of his friendship with a former neighbour that leads him down a dar...more
Col

I’ve read most of Linwood Barclay’s latest offerings, No Time For Goodbye, Fear The Worst, Never Look Away with The Accident still waiting on the TBR pile.

This book is one of his earlier titles, the fourth in a series featuring Zack Walker, a newspaper reporter cum sci-fi novelist. Barclay’s Walker booked have been blurbed as Hiaasen-esque in style, but having read most of Hiaasen’s books I’m not too sure I would agree. There were a few chuckles, and possibly one laugh out loud moment, but he ne...more
Karen
STONE RAIN LINWOOD BARCLAY (ZACK WALKER #4)
Once again Zack gets himself into the deep brown stuff when he sets out to help former neighbour and dominatrix Trixie Snelling. This comes right after his promise to his family to stay out of trouble. Good intentions-the road to hell is paved with them but Zack forges ahead to help his friend clear herself of murder charges when a relentless reporter is found dead in her basement. Her past is catching up to her and Zack is caught in the crossfire. Mean...more
Tom Kinney
Linwood Barclay is one of my favorite authors. He writes first rate standalone suspense thrillers now, but I really liked his Zack Walker series, because I like stories concerning an everyman who gets caught up in extraordinary circumstances.

Zack is a very likeable character, and it's interesting how he always seems to get in terrible trouble, put his marriage in jeopardy, yet manages to set things right again in the end. I've read the last two books in the Walker series,and now it's time to re...more
Stacey
In the end, I decided that I really, really enjoyed this book. I spent the first quarter confused but then I looked into it and found that it was the 4th in the series! I hate that! Almost gave it up but decided, no I'd finish it.
Good, fast paced plot with some sub-plots along the way. Not the most spectacular writing I've ever read but it was thrilling and funny which made up for it. What I definitely applaud him for is Zach's relationship with his kids. Spoken like a true parent and the relati...more
Jackie
As with Bad Move, I did enjoy this book though I didn't find it as funny as Bad Move. I'm not sure why I skipped over Bad Guys and Lone Wolf before reading this, but I look forward to reading those as well. I like the character Zack Walker, and I'm going to miss Trixie. I'm also glad he is leaving the paper but it would seem that he could get into even more trouble with all the time on his hands. I'm taking one star away because of the excessive nose picking. That part was just gross.
Robert
Everyone should have a certain few authors that really get them excited about reading their books. Barclay is one of those authors for this reader. I am kind of bummed to see that this book, #4 in the Zack Walker series, was published in 2007. Since nothing new has come forth on the series this may actually be the end of it unless Barclay decides to write another in the future. This series has been very good and all of the books, this one included, were very good. Zack's old neighbor, Trixie, is...more
Kevin Bachovchin
The Zach Walker series was pretty enjoyable. The plots weren't sensational, but Zach Walker is a very amusing character. All 4 books in the series made me laugh a lot, which is unusual for a mystery book.
Paula
Zach Walker is an ordinary man who manages to find extraordinary trouble, although all he really wants to do is keep his family safe. I've really enjoyed Linwood Barclay's series, and I hope Zach will be back for more misadventures.
Lloyd Elliott
this was another great book by linwood barclay. a good mix of subtle humour and intriguing suspense - a great combination! barclay comes thru again!
Robbie
Excellent read. Almost read this in one sitting, but made myself put it down at 1:00 a.m. Fast-paced, enjoyable characters. My fourth book by Linwood Barclay: I will read them all. I rated this one 4.8 stars. Jim gave it 4.2 stars and finished it 2-4-14.
Dixie
Great book...all of his books are good.
Bill
Okay, I didn't really read this book. I gave up on it about halfway through. Perhaps it was because it wasn't the first in the series and I always felt that I had come in during the middle of the movie. But I also felt Barclay was trying to hard to be witty and I just didn't find Zack a very appealing character. Too much of a loser for me. I don't mind my detective heroes being loners, troubled souls who have looked into the abyss too ofter, but incompetent losers leave me cool these days.
Gary
The 4th book by Linwood Barclay in the Zack Walker series. I have now finished all the books in this series and found these early Linwood Barclay books very entertaining and an enjoyable read. This series of books are slightly different from the latter books by Linwood Barclay in that they are more humorous and lighter.If you have read the previous 3 books you find the characters well developed and easy to follow. I enjoyed this book and now look forward to the next Linwood Barclay novel.
Jesslaine
May 09, 2011 Jesslaine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone really!
Dude I love Linwood Barclay Books!
I actually read this book first not knowing it was the 4th in a series. But even still, I had no issues along the way feeling like I was missing something. He is an expert at giving just enough background to keep you in the loop without ruining what's happened in previous books.

This plot was enticing through and through. I find it funny though that the book title still makes no sense to me!
Victoria
Oh, this was an exciting book! It was very well-plotted, though more serious in tone than the series' other installments. I really enjoyed it! It was a lot of fun to read, but in a bittersweet sort of way, since it seems Barclay has abandoned the series. I suppose there was closure, but it just didn't feel like a series finale to me. I sincerely hope that he someday returns to the thrillingly hilarious escapades of Zack Walker.
Vicky Tabor
Much darker than others. Lost the humor which I appreciated.
Aspin
I still really like the writing style of Linwood Barclay, however, this was the weakest of the Zack Walker series. It didn't have the same level of humour as the first three in the series.

Still a good story and an enjoyable read. I still think bad move was the best book I've ever read. If you read this book I would recommend reading the series in order as they very much follow on.
Rizello
Enjoy the Zack Walker character.
Terri
I'm a fan of Barclay - his books are fun reads and somewhat on the smarter side than your run-of-the-mill empty calorie James Patterson (not that I'm hating on a cupcake from time to time). Just the right balance of humor and creepy factor, with likeable characters a somewhat predictable plot, but I'll allow him that. A fun read on my new kindle fire!
Frances Kelly
I am a HUGE FAN of Linwood Barclay. His books have bumbling, loveable characters, absorbing and fast-paced story lines with interesting twists and turns, and a lot of humor. From the first Linwood Barclay I ever picked up, I was hooked and didn't stop until I'd read them all. Now I'm waiting for the next one. Give his books a try.
Joe
Another enjoyable light read with plenty of adventures for Zack and his family. Some laugh out loud moments. Good fun.
Lori Verni-Fogarsi
I enjoyed this book immensely, from beginning to end. Although a mystery/thriller, the author's writing voice brings great personality to the characters. The plot was twisty, yet believable. Kept me up at night because I couldn't put it down. If you like Harlan Coben, then Linwood Barclay is a great author to check out!
Linda Ostrom
I finished this book, which ended the Zack Walker series by Linwood Barclay. It was a great conclusion to a good series. Everything is explained. some very shocking and surprising developments coming from unexpected places. For anyone who likes a bit of mystery with some dry Canadian humour, this is the series for you.
Palmreader
This is my first Linwood Barclay. Well written but just not very interesting. Not sympathetic with the lead character, would have been more interesting if he wasn't just so annoying. The story just isn't very interesting and rather formulaic. Perhaps it would work really well as a movie, but as a book, not so great.
Dorel

I really liked the dialogue in the story it really made me laugh. I felt really bad for Trixie & I was glad she was able to start a new life. I thought Zack was really stupid. The storyline was ok it could have been better. This is the second book I read by Linwood Barclay I would read more books by him.
Kevin
Zack is asked to help a friend and gets much more than he bargained for. Trixie sees two men who scare her to the point she runs away leaving Zach with a dead body and no clue how to pick up the pieces.
An excellent series! (I am sad this is the last one *fingers crossed, hoping there are many more).
  • Bleed a River Deep (Inspector Devlin, #3)
  • Stray Bullets (Detective Greene, #3)
  • Ash & Bone (Frank Elder, #2)
  • A Necessary End (Inspector Banks, #3)
  • In The Dark
  • Don't Scream
  • Flynn (Flynn, #1)
  • By the Time You Read This
  • The Lizard's Bite (Nic Costa, #4)
  • The Bloomsday Dead (Michael Forsythe #3)
  • The Wrong Kind of Blood (Ed Loy, #1)
  • The Deep Blue Alibi (Solomon vs. Lord, #2)
  • Everybody Dies (Matthew Scudder, #14)
  • The Death Trust (Vin Cooper, #1)
  • Closer Than Blood
  • The Zero Hour
  • Detour
  • A Florentine Death
After spending his formative years helping run a cottage resort and trailer park after his father died when he was 16, Linwood Barclay got his first newspaper job at the Peterborough Examiner, a small Ontario daily. In 1981, he joined the Toronto Star, Canada’s largest circulation newspaper.

He held such positions as assistant city editor, chief copy editor, news editor, and Life section editor, be...more
More about Linwood Barclay...
No Time for Goodbye Never Look Away The Accident Too Close to Home Fear the Worst