A Sister's Hope

A Sister's Hope (Sisters of Holmes County #3)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  958 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Published August 15th 2009 by Barbour Publishing (first published January 1st 2008)

Kristin
"A Sister's Hope" is book number three in the Sisters of Holmes County series by Wanda E. Brunstetter. I am really glad I gave this series a chance. This book follows the storyline of the youngest sister - the very lively and spunky Martha.

Martha has fallen in love with Luke despite her father's dislike for the boy. She is determined to clear his name as her dad believes he is the one responsible for the attacks against their family that went as far as to take her older sister's husband from her...more
Janne
Finally, the last book in the series... still don't think they are really well written, but, I admit, I wanted to find out what happened to everyone and I was surprised by the "who done it." However, the story to get there just kind of dragged on too long...too many "attacks" of vandalism, the reactions of the people seemed less believable to me, as all this went on and on....and really the story of who did it and why, didn't really fit well, to me... I don't think someone that disturbed could h...more
Margaret
Jun 02, 2008 Margaret rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Patrick Gerber
I read an ARC version of this book. I just cannot really get excited to review this book, because I hate to be against it. This is the third book in a series, and really I feel that this is one of the worst series that I have ever read. It was really boring, no answers were given to questions raised until the third book, and the answer wasn't even a satisfying one given all the rest of the plot provided. It was a mystery, but it was just an irritating one that made me just more mad the more even...more
Rachel
Didn't enjoy it. This is the third and last in a series that involves an Amish family being vandalized multiple times over the course of a few years. This author's writing style already leaves much to be desired; it's even worse when she's trying to weave mystery and suspense into her story. I thought the ending was pretty lame and too abrupt (everything was wrapped up in the last 20 pages) especially considering that the whole story took place over three books.
Samantha Randall
Jessica
Out of all the Sisters of Holmes County books A Sister’s Hope (Sisters of Holmes County, Book 3) is my favorite. I enjoyed the youngest sistern270531, Martha, probably more than either of the older sisters. Her spunk and determination to not simply sit back while her family continues to be attacked and receive threats, as well as her persistence to not just settle down and get married but pursue her own business set her apart from the other sisters.

The author, Wanda Brunstetter, never really tel...more
Brenda
This should be labeled suspenseful, this final book in the series focuses on Martha, while still telling the stories of Grace and Ruth. One thing I felt the book should have pointed out was that the Amish rarely seek police help, one reason is they don't believe in the law of the land, they believe in God's law. You will rarely hear of a Amish person being a criminal, for this exact reason. Now besides the romance between Martha and Luke, this story tells a vivid picture of how the Amish often e...more
Kasi Lou
Lose yourself in Holmes County, where romance, suspense, mystery, and faith-filled Amish ways rule the day! Martha Hostettler is concerned about the continuous attacks being made on her Amish family. With a definite motive and a myriad of methods, Luke Friesen looks like the culprit. Determined to clear his name, Martha decides to play detective. What will the search for truth cost her?

My Review - I loved this book! Finally finding out who was behind all the attacks and then watching Martha fall...more
Mary
Martha is the only sister now unwed. She developed feelings long ago for Luke but kept them secret as he was suspected of fowl play in neighborhood episodes of vandalism and eventually death of a brother-in-law. She and Luke both played detective to solve who was really involved in the crimes, but it was still a shock when the real person was revealed. Once that took place, Luke was able to ask for her hand in marriage! Martha's father had to learn to humble himself she he realized he was sooo w...more
Bethie Eaton
Martha is the youngest of the Hostettler Sisters. Even though a young woman, she has yet to meet her parents expectations of looking for a suitable mate. She spends her time trying to get her dog breeding business off the ground. A young Amish fellow (Luke) has caught her eye- but he is not a suitable mate since he is still in his rumschpringe years and has yet to commit to the church. Her relationship with this young man is forbidden by her father. Martha and Luke develop a friendship while try...more
Paula-O
This book #3 was the story of Martha the youngest sister, It concludes with answer to why there were so many "accidents" happening at the parents and other family members homes. I was surprised to see who had done all this stuff and why. this mystery was weaved tru all 3 books. I was little dissappointed in story of Martha though. I felt like she did not get the attention the other 2 sisters had. Her love of life also seemed short changed in the depth of his character and they did not have a nor...more
Mayda
In this concluding novel of the Sisters of Homes County trilogy, we finally discover who has been tormenting Grace and her family. It is a tale of revenge and hate. But it not the Amish way to seek retribution or to punish. However, when the situation sends her mother to the breaking point, Martha is determined to find and stop the culprit. Luke, wishing to clear his name, is equally determined. If you have read the previous two novels, you will want to see this saga to its surprising end. The A...more
Tasha enderby
This is a good series that could be read as one book at a time or all toghether like I did. You learn enough about each charector that is doesn't really matter. However the mystery spans all three books to keep you hanging on. I loved learning about each of the sisters tales and how they relate to their family and Martha was the youngest in this book but very much involved in her family. Her keen detective skills seeks out the person who is torturing their family over the span of years. Each att...more
joyce lynn
WOW!!! even better than the previous 2 in the series!

amazing how a fiction book, tho, can still stomp on your toes and convict you about something, no?!

this family is down to earth, and yet, w/ a faith SSOOO strong still.

this book is another example, too, of how as different as we can be, we (different races, cultures, religions, nationalities, etc.) are still SO similar and alike. why can't we just get along then???

because we do NOT try hard enough at it, like we don't try hard enough at SO man...more
Amy Riccio
Cheese. Predictable cheese. Don't think I'll read any more of this author. I gave one series a try and was not impressed.
Kelsey
Still good, but it was killing me to keep waiting through the third book to find out who did it.
Lori
Love dogs, have sisters, and love reading Amish fiction.Good Read.
Lueann Sawyer
i was so glad this tragedy series ended....these three books were so full of heartbreaking tragedy....suspense all the way to the epilogue of last book
Alexis Erlbaum
fabulous end to the series
Heather
This book has a LOT of filler. The common theme throughout the book was, "let's meet up and try to solve the mystery, but play coy flirting games with one another, and then do the same thing the next twenty chapters". There was sooo much repitition it just bored me to tears. And yet, I finished it, because that's what I do with a suspense novel, I have to find out what happened. Although, I skipped more pages than I read, and felt I was reading a short story by a very green, first time author.
Stephanie
This was a little better than the second book, and about equal footing for the first. Not that interesting, but I had learned to skip reading the same conversation over and over and therefore sped through the book. The ending was not a surprise but again it really reached for a ridiculous ending of a ridiculous plot line.
If I need an Amish fix, I think I will stick to Beverley Lewis novels. Clearly these books are to ridiculously simple and trite without any of the beauty.
Lesli
The book was less predictable than I expected. I never guess the villain was who it was, but I guess the author made it very unexpected on purpose. I enjoyed this one, but found myself wishing I was still reading #2, since I enjoyed Ruth's story the best. Nonetheless I read this book in a barely more than a day, that's how much I ended up enjoying the series. I would recommend this book, it you had the same taste in books in me.
Averystoys
OH MY!! That's all I can say!

We don't find out who's doing vandalism till the last TEN PAGES!! And you WON'T BELIEVE WHO IT IS!!!

I am editing to add that I agree with the other reviewers that this book seemed written only to complete the other 2 books. And not as much as its own story.

On that note...

All I could say was "WOW!"

Once again, and excellent series with a focus on FAITH and FAMILY!
Suzette S
Overall this was a good book, but it is pretty heavy. Bad things are happening and as in real life, finding the answers does not always provide perfect closure. I thought this series was okay, and the final book drew me in and kept me reading. I will not say I was inspired or uplifted by the book, but it did reinforce some of the lessons I've been learning in the Lord, so I did like it.
Lori
Great conclusion to this series. You will finally learn who is responsible for all the attacks on the family. I was a little caught off guard by the culprit, but halfway through the book I did have a feeling that the man could be the culprit. Very well written. I truly enjoyed this series and look forward to reading more of Wanda's novels.
Leslie
This was a frustrating book for me, but I had this "need" to finish the rest of the story. I felt there was an awful lot of filler in the book. Much of it could have been left out, but then the book would have been about half its size. I skimmed much of the middle of the book and focused on the ending...which was ok...very predictable.
Margaret
I really liked the first 2 books in this series but was dissapointed in this one. I did figure out who the attacker was about halfway through. But his reason for the attacks wasn't what I thought. Obviously he was a very troubled young man. It seemed the author wanted to wrap it up in a happy ever after fashion.

Sheri
After reading the other 2 books had my suspicions on who was causing the acts of vandalism, however, i was wrong. This book had a lot of twists to it that has you thinking one way and then it would make you think maybe it this person.....I really enjoy Wanda Brunstetter. I have yet to find a book of hers that I havent enjoyed.
Kristi
You don't find out "who did it" until almost the last page which drove me crazy. Overall, I liked the series and though it wasn't amazing, the story was captivating enough to keep me reading through all three books. It's a fun mix of family interactions, a little romance, and some mystery to keep you wondering who did it.
Karen
I gave this a 3 rating because I did finish it, and starting with book 3 of a 3 book series is not the best way to read a book. But I have to say that I hope this was one of Ms Brunstetter's early books that she revised and republished because I have read really good books by this author and this wasn't one of them.
  • Autumn's Promise (Seasons of Sugarcreek, #3)
  • A Hand to Hold (Hearts of Middlefield, #3)
  • Plain Promise (Daughters of the Promise, #3)
  • When the Soul Mends
  • Blessings (Sommerfield Trilogy, #3)
  • The Forbidden (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, #2)
  • The Search (Lancaster County Secrets, #3)
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • Where Grace Abides (The Riverhaven Years, #2)
  • Hannah's Dream (Hannah's Heart, #1)
  • The Amish Midwife (The Women of Lancaster County, #1)
A nationally recognized authority on the Amish community, Wanda E. Brunstetter has sold more than seven million copies of her fiction and nonfiction books. Wanda enjoys an uncommon kinship with the Amish and continues to visit their communities throughout the country. Her books have won numerous awards and topped several bestselling charts.
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter...
The Bishop's Daughter (Daughter of Lancaster County, #3) The Storekeeper's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #1) The Quilter's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #2) A Cousin's Promise (Indiana Cousins Trilogy #1) A Sister's Secret (Sisters of Holmes County, #1)