Start by marking “A Mile in My Flip-Flops” as Want to Read:
A Mile in My Flip-Flops

A Mile in My Flip-Flops

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  941 ratings  ·  144 reviews

Thirty-something Gretchen Hanover is stuck. Seeking solace from a broken heart, she traded her wedding plans for home improvement shows and ice cream—but she knows she can’t live on Ben and Jerry’s forever. She also knows that her enthusiastic Lab puppy has outgrown her tiny apartment.

The perfect patch for Gretchen’s dilapidated plans? She’ll become a first-time house-flip

Hardcover, Large Print, 437 pages
Published November 1st 2008 by Thorndike Press (first published June 17th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Mile in My Flip-Flops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mile in My Flip-Flops

Thanuja
So I walked aimlessly in the library and I ran into this book. It looked cute and inviting and after reading the nice summary in the back about a house flipping and heart mending I thought, "Hm. Why not? I have free time." I mean I am not a HGTV fanatic by any stretch of the imagination, but I catch myself watching Trading Spaces with my mom once in awhile. This might be refreshing from the usual romances I've read.

In any case I was very surprised by this book. I found myself rooting for this wo
Stephanie
This was a really fun read. I loved how Gretchen thought flipping a house would be so easy since she has watching tons of HGTV house flipping shows. She quickly found it isn't as easy as watching a show. She got herself into so pretty funny predicaments.

I really loved Noah. He has his own history, but he has learned from it and made changes in his life reflecting what he has learned. He was patient and knew how to handle Gretchen.

I also liked all the secondary characters also. They were all ver
Jennifer Defoy
The fact that the title has flip-flops in it (my shoe of choice from March till October!) made me very interested in reading it. This was a really cute book. Even though it was predictable I was still drawn into the story.

I liked Gretchen. I could see myself in her flip-flops - literally. I tend to get grandiose ideas, however I don't have as much follow through as she does. I can't even imagine going through purchasing a house on a whim to flip it. That's a little overwhelming to me... Even tho
Tamara
I continue to offer the disclaimer that I am not a fan of Chick-lit, that I need suspense and intrigue to really keep my attention, but once again, I have been proven wrong. A MILE IN MY FLIP FLOPS is not a book I would have naturally picked up on my own. But when I received it in the mail to review, I begrudgingly laid aside the four other books I’ve been dying to start and read Melody Carlson’s latest release . . . and enjoyed every moment of it.

Gretchen Hanover, a 30ish, single who has just b
Nora St Laurent
This story drew me in quickly as I couldn't stop laughing as I read. This story was so true to life. I, too, was the daughter of a building contractor and my dad was one of the original "House-Flippers" long before it was popular. This is a humorous and touching story about a determined and eager "house-flipper" newbie named Gretchen, who is tired of sitting on the couch watching this popular HGTV show. She wants action. A "House-Flipper" is someone who buys dilapidated houses in good neighborho ...more
Barb
I really enjoyed this book. Nothing embarrassing in there--I'd let my daughter read it, or give it to my mom, no problem there. It's the story of a single teacher who decides to spend her summer vacation "flipping" a house. Predictably, she meets a contractor and...(well, I said it was predictable.) It's a Christian novel that is not over-the-top, in-your-face, pushy Christian--it's natural to the characters. And the characters were very likable and real. A great light read. 03/04/09
Jerry
Synopsis: After being jilted by her fiancée Collin, Gretchen Hanover spends a while in a funk. When she isn't working or sleeping, she sits around and watches HGTV while consuming gobs of ice cream. After a while of seeing people renovate houses on TV, she thinks, "Hey, maybe I could do that!" So, she gets off of her easy chair and buys a dilapidated old home that she hopes to flip. Unfortunately, though, she seems to have bitten off more than she can chew; the house is a tremendous mess, and he ...more
Katlynn Thompson
"House flipping looks so easy… on reality T.V." is the line that caught my attention, the reason I picked up the book in the first place. I have to admit that I am a fan of HGTV and this book’s main character is obsessed. This book has a bit of everything, the loss of a parent, broken relationships, rebuilding a broken life, finding love again, taking on too much of a challenge, learning to trust God and learning to face your fears. It was a very light read and quite enjoyable.
Jodi
What a great book. It was a Christian book written by an author that I adore. It is a love story and a story about healing after a failed engagement. She buys a house and renovates the home in hopes of flipping the house for profit. I can relate to the hard work and the sheer terror of tackling a housing project. It reminded me of my condo in Virginia when I was getting ready to sell I tried to do home improvement projects to make more money.
Kim
For a person who does not usualy care for Christian Fiction, I seem to have a knack lately for finding it. This is listed as contemporary fiction,and it is a very mild one at that. Most of the mention of God is when Gretchen is praying after her father has a heart attack and needs a quandruple bypass. It was a well writtten book and is funny,sweet,and a little romantic.

Pam Bahrt
This was an enjoyable read. It was easy to read and very predictable but it was just what I needed to distract me from the stress and chaos of life. If you are into deep and thought provoking reading this isn't for you but if you are looking for something quick and easy to read this book is great!
This was a fun read, and it went fast! The book chronicles a woman who is flipping a house. I think the backdroup of the flip keeps the pace of the story moving. It was the perfect book to read while waiting for my dad in surgery.
Elisabeth
This book was a fun, light, airy book. I read it really quick and found it to be a great no-brainer. The plot was predictable and uncomplicated, which I enjoy sometimes.

Gretchen was a believable character
Darlene Dickson
A fun and light read. The main character goes through the process of remodeling a home and in the course of events, ends up rearranging her own personal life as well. Heartwarming and fun!
Judy
Wonderful read! The only disappointing part is how quickly it wrapped up. Would've loved a bit more towards the end of the story. The fast ending was a bit too predictable.
Marisa
This is an okay book, pretty predictable though.
Worth the 75 cents I paid for it at a garage sale :)
Lara
I loved this book- total quick chick lit read. Fun.
Alyce
Good easy read. Funny and kept my interest.
Sharon
Cute, fun read. Take it to the beach with you.
Heather ~ Marceline
So my library recently upgraded their software for their website. While it was down we could not reserve books on-line to be transferred to your branch for pick-up. So, after I finished my last audiobook I had to look at what was on the shelves for a new book to listen to in the car. This book looked cute, funny and a good lighthearted read for the daily commute. Instead, it was painful. To borrow from another reviewer, the author also writes children's books and it is apparent in the minute det ...more
Rae
2nd Read: March 30-31st, 2013.

I really like the concept of this book: love in a home renovation. My mum sister and I used to watch a lot of TLC shows together when I was in my pre-teen and teen years. We'd watch shows like Trading Spaces and While You Were Out and I definitely can understand Gretchen's initial attraction to remodeling a house.

Melody Carlson does a good job of getting into the head of the main character, which I enjoy. I do think it's unfortunate that her name is Gretchen. I'm no
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Gretchen Hanover is a thirty-something kindergarten teacher whose fiance dumped her just before their wedding. After 18 months of consoling herself with ice cream and HGTV, she decides she needs to do something with her life. Her solution? To flip a house, just like it's done on HGTV. She convinces her dad to co-sign on a short-term loan and she purchases a disaster of a house.

Gretchen's dad, in a bit of matchmaking, convinces her to hire his carpenter friend, Noah, to help the project along. P
Margaret Fraleigh
This is the first book I have read by this Author.

After the first chapter, I thought I could not get into the story. However, I was determined to
at least finish the book.

As I continued though, I became hooked on the story and couldn't put the book down.

There are many faucets of this story that have lessons for everyone. Love, Forgiveness, Faith,

I would probably read some of her other books, if they crossed my path.
Barbara
This easy, light read is probably closer to 3,5 stars. The main character, Gretchen, has a really fun personality, and I also enjoyed Nick, an associate of her dad's who ends up helping her with the house. He seemed like a really nice, down-to-earth guy who would be neat to get to know, and seemed like a great dad.The changes in the little girl, Kirsten, are delightful, and she provides many humorous moments with her actions and comments. House flipping would be an interesting, yet risky activit ...more
Amy
I knew going into this that it would be a light read, and I enjoyed it a little more than I thought I would. But the rating dropped as I neared the end of the book and saw how rushed and forced the ending was going to be. I mean, it was all a bit predictable, but it was VERY rushed at the end and, well, corny.
Guida Brown
Gretchen decides to flip a house, and she shows how destructive being self-absorbed can be. Sadly, however, I don't think that's actually the point of the book. Character development is lacking, which makes the magical ending so far-fetched as to be impossible to accept, even while suspending disbelief.
Barb
This is a cute story about a girl who LOVES watching HGTV shows about flipping houses, and decides to try it herself. This is a sweet story about the joys and frustrations she experienced along the way.
Stephanie
I am cheap and lazy, so I read a lot of free Kindle downloads. Unfortunately, because I do not pay for the books, that also means that I'm not always careful of my selections. Had I been paying attention, I would have noticed that this book fell under "Christian literature" which is just code for "my writing is really bad, but if I put a few lines about prayer in it, I'll be able to publish it anyway." (CS Lewis and Tolkien are the exceptions, of course.) The true tragedy of this really underdev ...more
Alyssa
I really liked this story. I loved how lifelike the characters were. I also liked that the romance wasn't the main focus of the story.
Joy Gerbode
This was a really fun, quick, read. Especially for the HGTV addicts, this was great ... about a woman doing a house flip, on her own. A wonderful dog helps fill in the cast; a couple of romances going on; and a darling little girl to bind it all together! This was a really fun book.
  • Piece de Resistance (French Twist, #3)
  • That's -Not Exactly- Amore (Drama Queen #3)
  • Faking Grace
  • The Whitney Chronicles
  • Miss Invisible
  • The Book of Jane
  • Calm, Cool & Adjusted (Spa Girls, #3)
  • Coming Unglued
  • Bookends
  • The Fall of Candy Corn (Sweet Seasons, #2)
  • The Guy I'm Not Dating
  • Blue Heart Blessed
  • Love Starts with Elle
  • The Cubicle Next Door
  • Sisterchicks Go Brit! (Sisterchicks, #7)
  • Single Sashimi
  • A Case of Crooked Letters (Morning Shade Mystery #2)
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi
More about Melody Carlson...
Becoming Me (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #1) Christmas at Harrington's Dark Blue: Color Me Lonely (TrueColors, #1) Blade Silver: Color Me Scarred (TrueColors, #7) The Christmas Bus