Start by marking “Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide” as Want to Read:
Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide

Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide

Prototyping is a great way to communicate the intent of a design both clearly and effectively. Prototypes help you to flesh out design ideas, test assumptions, and gather real-time feedback from users. With this book, Todd Zaki Warfel shows how prototypes are more than just a design tool by demonstrating how they can help you market a product, gain internal buy-in, and tes ...more
Published December 31st 2009 by Rosenfeld Media (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Prototyping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prototyping

Erin
Jan 25, 2010 Erin added it
Recommends it for: UX and Human Factor practitioners new to prototyping
In this review, I'm going to talk first about the book itself and then give some comments that apply (so far) to all books published by Rosenfeld.

I am not going to give this book a rating because the rating varies between the audience. Beginning Prototypers: 5 stars. Experienced Prototypers: 3-ish stars. Personally, I like the book, find it useful, and certain parts of this book will be useful for future reference.

Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide can be thought of in two main parts. First, C
Laurian
Jun 09, 2013 Laurian rated it really liked it
Shelves: ux, non-fiction, techie
This book would have been a great read for me about 10 years ago when I was a blossoming noob of UX. I think if you are unfamiliar with the tools out there this does a great job of detailing and showing the pros and cons of each choice. I did learn one or two things in the paper prototyping section that I'd never seen before that made it worth the read. All in all I'm glad to have it around to point to while also being able to reference it.
Kris
Dec 20, 2009 Kris rated it liked it
It was OK. The first half was decent - why to prototype and how to adapt your workflow to prototyping. The second half book is devoted to step-by-step tool talk on Visio, PowerPoint, Axure, etc. Yawnful stuff for those of us who've been around a while, and evaluated and used the tools as part of our daily work.
Dave Emmett
Mar 20, 2011 Dave Emmett rated it really liked it
Lot of great stuff in here for new UX-ers like myself. I found the how-to chapters on specific tools (Fireworks, Visio, etc.) less helpful than the 'why' chapters, and the chapter on testing. But the 'how' chapters will probably the ones I refer back to when I'm building prototypes, so I guess it's a trade-off.
Sean
Jul 08, 2012 Sean rated it really liked it
Good quick overview with a lot of practical helps from an experienced practitioner. I wasn't as interested in the chapters on specific technologies (except paper of course) so I skipped those. Not a lot of depth, which was just right for my purposes: i was looking for a quick start, and this fit the bill.
Fritz Desir
Sep 15, 2010 Fritz Desir rated it it was amazing
Prototyping matters and as things get faster (ahem Agile) that will only increase. Reading this book helped the learning curve on what to do and more importantly what NOT to do!
Matt
Sep 24, 2014 Matt rated it liked it
Good introductory/overview book. Not well suited for seasoned folks.
Robin
Jul 30, 2014 Robin rated it liked it
It's okay... moderately interesting topics, clear writing, and a balanced discussion on prototyping.
A very quick read for me.
Alexander Debkaliuk
Apr 16, 2013 Alexander Debkaliuk rated it liked it
If you're still not prototyping interfaces, this book will provide a number of good reasons why you should. For those in the know it might be of less interest.
Bob
Apr 08, 2012 Bob rated it really liked it
Shelves: ux-read
Super useful, slim volume. Looking forward to an update about the latest tools.
Vanessa.l
Sep 22, 2016 Vanessa.l rated it liked it
Good for junior designer who even not know how to draw prototype,not for the senior.
Abbas Vahedi
البته نسخه فارسی رو خوندم
Toshiyuki Maeda
Toshiyuki Maeda rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2017
Xvakin
Xvakin rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2014
Topherjaynes
Topherjaynes rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2012
Chad
Chad rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2015
Berta Bernane
Berta Bernane rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Bunna
Bunna rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2017
Harald Felgner
Harald Felgner rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2013
Matt Chiolino
Matt Chiolino rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Soufiane Tito
Soufiane Tito rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2017
davidmatas
davidmatas rated it it was ok
Sep 18, 2012
Mark Bright
Mark Bright rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Paulina
Paulina rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2013
Jere Chandler
Jere Chandler rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2012
Evgenii
Evgenii rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2012
Maciek Lipiec
Maciek Lipiec rated it it was ok
Aug 20, 2014
Haig
Haig rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2012
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • The Mobile Frontier: A Guide for Designing Mobile Experiences
  • Design Is the Problem
  • Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • Undercover User Experience: Learn How to Do Great UX Work with Tiny Budgets, No Time, and Limited Support
  • Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to User Research
  • Paper Prototyping: The Fast and Easy Way to Design and Refine User Interfaces
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
  • Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests
  • Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
  • Measuring the User Experience: Collecting, Analyzing, and Presenting Usability Metrics
  • Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“A prototype is a representative model or simulation of the final system. Unlike requirements documents and wireframes, prototypes go further than show and tell and actually let you experience the design.” 0 likes