Start by marking “Wonder Woman: Down to Earth” as Want to Read:
Wonder Woman: Down to Earth

Wonder Woman: Down to Earth (Wonder Woman II #11)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  559 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Collecting the explosive debut WONDER WOMAN storyline by Greg Rucka, Drew Johnson & Ray Snyder! When Diana writes a book that shares her beliefs, it ignites a firestorm of controversy — and even gets the attention of the Olympian Gods! Now Wonder Woman faces her most personal battle yet as she confronts attacks on all levels, from Veronica Cale to Dr. Psycho to Silver ...more
Published 2004 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Wonder Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonder Woman

Sesana
The synopsis mentions plots by supervillains and gods, but that only barely gets started here. The main plot is about Wonder Woman's book, outlining her life and her philosophy. Remember: Diana is a feminist, polytheistic, and vegetarian. It's a no-brainer how some people would react to her, and that's precisely what happens here. Even more topical in 2012 than in 2003, believe it or not, when Protect Our Children probably wouldn't even wait for her to write a book before they start staging prot ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
As much as I appreciate Greg Rucka's writing, I wasn't too fond of this graphic novel. Not an auspicious start to my Wonder Woman graphic novel reading career. I thought it was way too mired in politics. I hate politics. I don't see Wonder Woman as a woman of rhetoric, but a woman of actions which show the principles she holds dearly. This book made me almost like Wonder Woman less. It seemed as though she was cast in the role of politician/representative, and my trust factor seems to diminish g ...more
Steve
This is more like it. Greg Rucka infuses Wonder Woman with political undertones as she writes a new book that teaches her values to the world. Alongside her is Garibaldi, Dominguez, Ferdinand the chef, and newly appointed assistant Jonah McCarthy as the studious staff for the Ambassador of Themyscira.

After Wonder Woman is a deceptive Ares, who has a creepy new form and a lot of hidden strife, a rich and powerful executive named Dr. Veronica Cale, and with her some recruited powerful villains suc
Sean
I am a huge Greg Rucka fan and have always liked his portrayal of Diana. Here, I thought the story of a young woman who comes to Wonder Woman for aid is a little lacking. Maybe if this was part of her monthly series and could be fleshed out many times over it would have meant more. Here, you're not left with much and care about those involved very lightly. The art however, is beautiful. I J.G. Jones could do a monthly book, no matter what book, I would buy it. Fantastic stuff. Overall, pretty to ...more
Rosa
The chronology of Wonder Woman is so hard to figure out. The last one I read was Paradise Found and I feel like things happened between that one and this one that made this a little hard to understand. I loved Jonah's introduction to the job of working for Wonder Woman and I always love Ferdinand and wish he would be in the story more often.
Joell Smith-Borne
Stop #1 on my Greg Rucka/Wonder Woman binge. A bit of a slow start, and Diana gets a bit preachy from time to time, but kept me motivated to stick to the series--very glad I had the 2nd book on hand. Also, I think it was in this one (if not, it's in the next one, Bitter Rivals) that Wonder Woman goes to a gay bookstore when she's on her book tour. LOVED that little touch.

The thing that got me onto this particular set of books is a blog post, "Where Should I Start If I Want to Start Reading Wonde
Collin
The art was fun. The storyline was mostly fun. I just don't really like it when clearcut, biased politics get involved in the stories I read, from either side. The bias was obvious and unattractive and it really detracted from the story. I know Wonder Woman's been used a lot for politics, but... I just want to enjoy this awesome lady warrior kicking butt and balancing her various lives without getting beaten over the head with vegetarianism and politics.

Diana's emotional issues and the daily li
Anne
I really liked the story, even if it got a little preachy there towards the end. Didn't love the art.
M
Greg Rucka puts DC's Wonder Woman at the center of politics and lifestyles with his Down to Earth volume. New intern Jonah McCarthy is used as the audience's eyes and ears, bringing us into the world of Wonder Woman as political ambassador to "man's world." Juggling the stress of a new book, old family grudges, familiar enemies, and spin tactics, the Amazon finds herself besieged from all sides. While the appearances from Ares, Dr. Psycho, and the Silver Swan do provide the requisite comic book ...more
Rob
The thing that drives me nuts about both Wonder Woman and Superman is the way the writers refuse to offer a truly contemporary take on the character; rather they seem to try to update the Golden Age characterization that no longer works in our gritty modern world. Why not have Wonder Woman abandon the patriotic bathing suit she wears in favour of a costume that reflects the old but still makes sense to a modern reader. I like the idea of using Greek mythology as the basis for her particular worl ...more
Barbara
Having enjoyed Greg Rucka’s run on writing the most famous DC heroine ever, I re-read this story, which comprises issues #195-200 of his monthly Wonder Woman comics.

Rucka is a novelist by trade, and he’s a very serious writer. There’s little levity here, but his characterizations are terrific. Wonder Woman, aka Diana Price, is now an ambassador to the United Nations from her island home of Themyscira; she is a woman of great intelligence and heart. When she talks about equal rights, slavery, an
Keya
Greg Rucka's first arc on Wonder Woman doesn't disappoint. It's not as good as his Queen and Country or Batwoman: Elegy but much better than his run on Elektra. Anyways, at this point in time, Diana is the ambassador of Themyscira for the UN. Consequently, there's a lot of politics involved in the book. I'm ok with that, even though I'm not the biggest fan of political comic books. It reads very similarly to Brian K. Vaughan's Ex Machina, which isn't surprising since both books are about a super ...more
Amanda
A really good volume to start with. I've jumped in the middle of the series run (my library doesn't have the earlier volumes), so I'm not quite clued in about people and motives but volume is packed with a solid storyline, nice art, and some excellent social commentary. It's also chock full of engrossing humor, action, and wit. I've never read a Wonder Woman comic before, but this so far has been a great introduction. I can't wait to read the volume.
Jeff Raymond
So a few years back, I spent a good deal of time going through all of the modern Wonder Woman trades, starting with the Rucka ones. Of course, who forgot to grab the very first volume? Yep, this guy.

So going back to the beginning was interesting for me if only because I survived some of the lowest lows as well as the way she's been reconfigured essentially three different ways (so far that I've read) in the New 52. The Rucka Wonder Woman is confident without being a caricature, is multifaceted i
Fraser Sherman
3.5 stars. The kickoff of Greg Rucka's run has Wonder Woman publishing a book, coping with fundamentalist critics and breaking in new staff at the Themiscryan embassy while Ares launches a secret scheme. Good, which is the more remarkable given how action-free most of it is.
Chris
Probably not a story for those more inclined to high octane nonstop action, "Down To Earth", as the title suggests, is slower paced as we get to see the world of Wonder Woman the ambassador and author, with Wonder Woman the superhero taking a more supporting role. The action is secondary to Wonder Woman's interactions with her staff and the public. Greg Rucka's story offers sly commentary on the mentality of critics, the media, and special interest groups and how mob mentality can take over. The ...more
Luwanda Dunfee
I don't usually read Wonder Woman, but it was Greg Rucka who was writing so I through to would try it. I enjoyed it. I thought it was a good story about the life around Wonder Woman.
Rucka's run on Wonder Woman is a bit of a slow start, and the West Wing-type vibe for Wonder Woman takes a while to adjust to; I'm not sure why, except that we enter her world through an ordinary man (who later takes on extra significance to the arc Rucka's following), and in standing outside Diana, it's hard for us to emotionally invest in her attempts to speak peace to the world. Getting and outsider's view into her work as a diplomat is smart, because Rucka sets up all his pieces -- pieces he ...more
Jessica.nelson
HI MY NAME IS Jessica NELSON 10 buckingham court windsor gardens
Shawn
This is the first Wonder Woman graphic novel that I came across, and I would highly reccomend it to those who don't know where to start reading about the Amazon Princess. Diana is shown as an ambassador of peace from her home of Themesceria to the United States, and focuses more on the more human elements of her mission, as opposed to smashing things with her Amazonian strength. Likewise, her adversaires focus more on destroying the public image of "Wonder Woman", trying to damn her mission, whi ...more
Todd
I've always kind of liked the idea of Wonder Woman but never read any of her comics. I've liked other stuff by Rucka so I figured that maybe his run would be a good place to start.

I liked it. Since a lot of the issues deal with her staff it adds a human element that usually I find lacking in the DC comics. It's hard to know what I didn't know from the comics and what I didn't know from mythology but it was never anything that greatly hindered the story telling.

I'll probably see if I can get my h
Angie
When I was little girl I used to love Wonder Woman. I would twirl around real fast in my Wonder Woman Underoos to become her and then fly (jump off the sofa), and lasso evil villains (my siblings) with my golden lariat (My jumprope).

A friend lent me some wonder woman graphic novels to read. I hadn't thought much about wonder woman since I was about 7 or 8, I'd say. I was skeptical that I would like them. I'm not a huge fan of DC style superheroes, but truly I loved her all over again.
Alan Hoffman
I've read some other collections of this character, I've liked this one the best. A little like Ex Machina, because she has a team of people who work at her embassy and help manage her public relations. This incarnation and her opinions seem convincing.

Mount Olympus is interesting, with its mix of clothing styles and details (Athena walks around with a laptop) it seems like something Neil Gaiman would think up.
Katie
I'm gonna have to go with a "meh". It could be because I don't know enough about Wonder Woman in general, but this one in particular didn't grab me. She wrote a book, people didn't like it, that sucked, and of course the Gods were being a pain/meddling. However it seemed a decent read for those who don't know WW's mythology-- except for the Vanessa portion which was confusing for us noobs.
Lisa
The book is a little slow to get any action going. Wonder Woman writes a book featuring her essays, speeches, etc and provokes responses from conservative reactionaries. Meanwhile, the gods in Olympus fight amongst themselves and Dr. Veronica Cale is plotting against WW. But why? and where is this all going? Got me.
Cait
I love how this starts, with the juxtaposition of the new guy's outsider taken on the Themysciran embassy and Wonder Woman's military assistance to the UN, and the book -- the cover art, Superman's manuscript comments, the book tour, etc. -- is awesome, but both Veronica Cale and Doctor Psycho are deeply creepy and awful.
Shaun
This is Greg Rucka's first batch of issues writing Wonder Woman. This is the rise of the characterization of Diana as Themiscyran ambassador and child of greek myth. Rucka's run is one of the points where Wonder Woman is really shining. This is where that run begins.
Budd
This was really preachy and and agenda driven and not at all two sided. Not a lot of action in it, liked the Ares/Zeus story line and where that went. Like I said though, too one sided painted in black and white.
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 3: The Circle
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Gods and Mortals
  • Wonder Woman: Paradise Lost
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Who is Wonder Woman?
  • JLA: A League of One
  • Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth
  • Wonder Woman: Second Genesis
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.
More about Greg Rucka...

Wonder Woman II (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Gods and Mortals
  • Wonder Woman: Second Genesis
  • Wonder Woman: Lifelines
  • Wonder Woman: Paradise Lost
  • Wonder Woman: Paradise Found
Batwoman: Elegy Lazarus, Vol. 1: Family Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 3 Batman: Bruce Wayne, Murderer? Batman: No Man's Land