Start by marking “My Lady of Cleves: A Novel of Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves” as Want to Read:
My Lady of Cleves: A Novel of Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves

My Lady of Cleves: A Novel of Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  1,796 ratings  ·  83 reviews
My Lady of Cleves reveals the mesmerizing story of Anne of Cleves, Henry VIII's fourth wife, one of the rare women who matched wits successfully with the fiery king and lived to tell the tale.
Published September 1st 2008 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about My Lady of Cleves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Lady of Cleves

Maggie
This is my second Margaret Campbell Barnes novel, i love her style of writing, although written years ago they are not dated, just well written.

Poor Anne came to England not knowing anyone or speaking the language, is called a Flanders mare and made a joke of for her dress sense, but in the end she manages become one of the most likeable of all Henry's wives. People gradually see that there is more to this woman than first meets the eye, they realise that Anne would have been the prefect wife fo
Serra Swift
Apr 08, 2010 Serra Swift rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of "The Tudors," anyone who is interested in Henry VIII and his court
Recommended to Serra by: my mom
I initially passed this book up at the bookstore, because the first two or three chapters were clunky and slow. My mom ended up buying it later, and after reading it passed it on to me as a "must read." I must say that after finishing the book, I agree.

The book was written in 1946, so the writing style is a little archaic (full of adverbs and vocabulary that has been all but dropped by our generation), but the story is compelling and thoughtful. Anne of Cleves is my favorite of the Henry wives,
Bibliophile
Elena
My Lady of Cleves tells the story of Henry VIII's fourth wife. Urged by his counsellors to marry again, Henry chose Anne after seeing a painting of her by Hans Holbein. However, their marriage was short-lived: Henry did not like her from the start, and divorced her after just six months. Unlike Katherine of Aragon, Anne accepted the divorce and lived peacefully the rest of her life in England, as “the King's beloved sister”. Despite her short reign Anne has always been one of my favourite wives ...more
Amy
My Lady of Cleves covers the life of Anne of Cleves from right before her marriage to Henry VIII until his death in 1547. The story opens with an agitated King Henry VIII, talking with his ministers about his need for a new wife after the death of his third wife, Jane Seymour in childbed. Among the candidates are the Duchess of Milan and the Cleves Princesses. The Duchess of Milan has already replied with “Only if I had two heads”! Smart girl!

Hans Holbein is sent to Cleves to paint both Anne and
Kim
Sensitivemuse
I really liked how Anne of Cleves was portrayed in this book! and it proved to be a very enjoyable read. I had to get used to the writing style though, and it took a little longer to get into the book. It proved to be a very interesting read, and I really did like this book.

It’s hard not to sympathize with Anne. Practically alone in a country where English is a foreign language, and with different customs and clothing to get used to, I felt really sorry for her in the beginning of the book. Whe
Penny
This is a great book if you want to know more about the least known of Henry's wives. It spins Anne's story from her home in Cleves to the court in England where most of Henry's waiting ladies want her to fail even before she arrives.

The awful ordeal of being married off to someone she had never met who had already disposed of 2 wives, must have been very hard on a young woman. Anne had never travelled and could speak very little English. The infamous miniature by Holbein that leads to Henry agr
Amy
Anne of Cleves has always fascinated me. Was she really a fat and uncouth Flander's Mare. Or was she an intelligent & independent woman who set her own path?

This book definitely takes the latter viewpoint of the 4th wife. Whether or not this is an accurate historical representation is open to debate, but the character in the book is one that is lovable.

The one qualm I had with this book is Henry. The author tries to make him likeable... but, well, I kinda have taken to a great dislike of Hen
Rosemarie Short
I like to think that, at this stage, I have built up a fairly strong base knowledge concerning historical fiction. I have read a lot. Nevertheless, as with all reading in this genre I always consult one forum alone after completion of my newest find; my Mom. She's read ten times more than I have and there's not a historical fiction novel I can name she hasn't partaken in at one point or another. And she very much helped me to clarify my thoughts on this book.

It's dated. Badly.

I'll leave compar
Bethany
I am in love with Margaret Campbell Barnes. Her writing style is phenominal and precise. I love that she wrote an entire book centered around the least known wife of Henry VIII. Anne of Cleves was an amazing woman with many strengths. After reading this book, I feel as though Ms. Barnes captured her in a new light that needs to be shed upon her.
Jeanette
This was easy read and Anne was depicted as strong, with highly secure self-identity. And most of the characters and locale described within the various locations, pleasant to read. If you had never been entrenched in any works of Henry's life, or any of his wives, this one would have dipped your toe into that pond. But other than being a pleasant read, it's just TOO pleasant.

These characters, but especially Cromwell and Henry are conversing in a sometimes chiding, sometimes jovial type manner.
Karen
a. beautiful novel of Anne of Cleaves. Anne of Cleaves is

a
Margaret Campbell Barnes evokes beautifully the life of Ann of Cleaves. The novel begins just before Ann leaves her native Germany and ends with the death of Henry viii. Ann is portrayed as a genuinely nice person, not as sexy as Anne Boleyn or Catherine Howard. This book genuinely illustrates Ann as a genuine caring person. I would have loved for the novel to continue after Henry's death and show what happened to Ann afterwards as she wa
Kaye
Written in the 1940s and re-released in the 2000s, this is one of the few novelizations of my favorite of the Tudor wives, Anne of Cleves---the one whom Henry VIII married based on a 2-inch miniature painting and then spent their brief marriage trying to figure out how to put her aside, eventually annulling the marriage based on the (false) basis of Anne's being pre-contracted.

While the style of writing does age the book, that wasn't the biggest reason I couldn't give it five stars. It paints a
Allison
Shannon
Finally a novel that illuminates the life of a much maligned and misrepresented Queen, more widely known as Anne of Cleaves or the “Flanders Mare”. I remember as a child wondering at this nickname as it seemed so undeserved but ultimately Anne accomplished the near impossible – she rid herself of a ruthless husband and kept her head. Not only that but she gained the near impossible in Tudor England and became an independent woman of means, the King’s most beloved sister.

The image of Anne that ha
Carolina
"I do very well as I am" (304) Her final answer to Sir Anthony Browne. Her final line in the book and the last sentence in this great novel.
I had only read one fiction of Anne of Cleves and that had been by Philipa Greggory in the "Boleyn Inheritance". I found it really good but I gave it four stars as it had three protagonists, so the novel was not just about Anne, which I would have liked her to be, as she wrote her really well.
What Margaret Campbell Barnes did (and this is novel is my introdu
Marla
I was put off by the writing style. Specifically, there were several instances where I would read a sentence three or four times and wonder what the author was saying or what point was being made. This was not due to the words used as much as word placement. Oftentimes I had to conclude whatever point was being made could not be all that important or the writing would have been clearer. That particular hurdle aside, I enjoyed the development of characters and the stories that were woven in to wh ...more
Becky
Barnes, Margaret Campbell. 1946. (Reprinted in 2008) My Lady of Cleves.

My Lady of Cleves is a "novel of Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves." One of the luckier wives if you ask my opinion. What can I say? If you're interested in Henry VIII and his wives and his children and the politics of the day, then this may be of interest to you. It's a straightforward account told mainly from Anne's perspective with hints of Henry's as well. I honestly don't know how much is fact and how much is fiction. It por
Linda
As I began to read this novel about Anne of Cleves, the fourth wife of Henry VIII, I wasn't sure I'd like it, as the "fictional" part took quite a stretch from what I've read in various biographies on Henry VIII. But I reminded myself, that heck, The Tudors mini-series used many inconsistencies with the truth, and I loved it anyhow, so I continued on with the novel. I'm glad I did. The best compliment I can give an author is to read a line they wrote, sigh and wish I had written it. There were s ...more
Library-KAT
I'm just beginning this and already the characters do not ring "true to form".....Henry seems to have a conscience, Anna seems to be more self assures, self actualized, forward and alive than any other account I have ever read of her, her brother meeker and not at all in charge of his household....

So, I'm guessing that I might not finish this.....
Charlotte
Mar 24, 2009 Charlotte rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Charlotte by: Historical Fiction Reading Challenge
Shelves: historical-novel
I might really give this 2.5 stars. The writing style and character development was too heavy-handed for me. I was rolling my eyes at the author's favorable portrayal of everyone and trying to make these likable figures match with their historical counterparts. Anne of Cleves was practically a saint and Katherine Howard was guilty of nothing but innocence and youth. And the author clearly seemed to dislike Elizabeth I's determination and ambition.

But as the story went on (and diverged from histo
Xenia
I suggest checking this book out from a library, don't spend money on it. If you have read previous books on Henry VIII's unfortunate wives you will find nothing new in this book. The stories of Anne through Catherine Howard are told with a few scraps of Jane Rochford thrown in, usually combined with "maybe, probably and might have's". The true story of Lady Rochford is that there isn't one.
What little insight is provided deals with Jane's younger days prior to the Boleyn's. Also there seems to
Fortunata Paliano
A great historical novel based on facts, well researched and beautifully written, warm and entertaining! "..most of the remarks made about Anne of Cleves by characters in this book were in fact made by people who knew and saw her..[...] Anne's letters - to the King, to Mary Tudor and to her brother William-are to be found among State Papers,...[...] Her Will -surely one of the most human and endearing legal documents - makes delightful reading. [...] " (Author's preface). I highly recommend it i ...more
Paula Mccallum

This is a different take on Henry & Ann's relationship from several others I had read. Previous accounts suggested he had a physical revulsion to her & that she had a foul odor. This suggests that the artist, Holbein, was rather smitten with her & painted her miniature more attractive than the actual subject. Based on Holbein's miniatures, Henry chose Ann over her sister. He saw her for the first time when she was napping & not looking her best & Henry was immediately turned
Ellen
This is one of the books I read as a young teen that set me on the road to life-long reading. I'd forgotten about it until I saw it mentioned on a Goodreads review.

I came across this book on one of my first forays into the "adult" (i.e. not children's) section of the public library. I promptly went on to read all the books by Margaret Campbell Barnes available in the library.
Tammy
Jun 06, 2014 Tammy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction
3 1/2 stars
A smooth read of a dramatic time period. You will find yourself getting to know and like Anne of Cleves. This is during the time period of Henry VIII, I wish it would have continued to the end of her life. I will reread.
Debby Smith
The book was rather slow-going. You could imagine the stately tempo of the court. I easily imagined myself in that royal setting.
Kim
I really enjoyed the firsthand account of one of Henry VII's most overlooked wives. The character development was interesting, and i thought it a fascinating look at navigating the Tudor Court after Anne Boleyn.
Katie
This book was very informing of the almost unthought of fourth wife of Henry VIII, Anne of Cleves. The author scripted together a realistic story that told of Anne's awkward arrival and her short, disastrous marriage the of King of England. The reader roots and cries for this silent heroine who lived though one of the most dangerous times in history--the Tudor period--where back-door deals, illicit affairs, and death were around every corner. A must read for Tudor period fans who want to learn m ...more
  • Plain Jane
  • Her Mother's Daughter: A Novel of Queen Mary Tudor
  • The Concubine
  • The Queen's Rival (In the Court of Henry VIII, #3)
  • In the Shadow of the Crown (Queens of England, #6)
  • No Will But His: A Novel of Kathryn Howard
  • Anne of Cleves: Henry VIII's Discarded Bride
  • Young Bess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #1)
  • Three Maids for a Crown: A Novel of the Grey Sisters
  • The Queen's Governess
  • The King's Daughter. A Novel of the First Tudor Queen (Rose of York)
  • The Favored Queen
  • Between Two Queens (Secrets of the Tudor Court, #2)
  • The Virgin's Daughters: In the Court of Elizabeth I
Margaret Campbell Barnes was born in 1891 and died in 1962. She was the youngest of ten children born in the Sussex country side. By all accounts she lived a happy childhood and was eventually educated at small private schools in Paris and London.

The majority of her books were written between the 1940's and 1960's.

She married Peter Barnes in 1917, a furniture salesman, and the couple had two sons,
More about Margaret Campbell Barnes...
Brief Gaudy Hour: A Novel of Anne Boleyn The Tudor Rose King's Fool: A Notorious King, His Six Wives, and the One Man Who Knew All Their Secrets Within the Hollow Crown: A Reluctant King, a Desperate Nation, and the Most Misunderstood Reign in History The Passionate Brood

“She is one of those people who have found serenity because they have never tried to dodge suffering.” 0 likes