The Catch: One Play, Two Dynasties, and the Game That Changed the NFL

The Catch: One Play, Two Dynasties, and the Game That Changed the NFL

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  20 reviews
How many great catches have there been in the history of the NFL? Hundreds? Thousands? Mention "The Catch,"though, and fans will think of only one: Joe Montana to Dwight Clark, the NFC Championship game, the Dallas Cowboys vs. the San Francisco 49ers, January 10, 1982. It changed the game and The Game. This is the story of the pieces that fell into place to allow it to hap...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Crown Archetype (first published 2009)

Michael
If you're a football fan, you've probably seen highlight footage of "The Catch."

It's the pass from Joe Montana to Dwight Clark in the waning moments of the 1981 NFC Championship game that sent the up and coming San Francisco 49ers to the Super Bowl and the Dallas Cowboys to NFL infamy as the team that "The Catch" happened against.

The footage has been endlessly replayed on NFL Films and ESPN and was even redone as a Gatorade commercial a few years ago.

But the famous reception is more than just a...more
Steve Kettmann
One of the pleasures of digging into a book like this as a lifelong 49ers fan is that even as a reviewer, ostensibly paid to be skeptical, you can gleefully skip right over any sense that first-time author Gary Myers is overhyping the importance of the Catch.

What's to overhype? That glorious moment when a flu-ravaged Dwight Clark sprang up gazelle-like from the back of the end zone at Candlestick and somehow hauled in a remarkable Joe Montana pass was such an epic moment in sports, all superlati...more
Tom Gase
This book was well researched, but it could have been better. Problems I had with this book were 1) The author, Gary Myers, desperately tried to make this game and this catch bigger than it was. It is an important catch and one of the best games ever as described in this book, but too many times I was reading how it was the end of one dynasty and the start of another, which isn't entirely true. The Cowboys made the playoffs the next year and were once again one win away from the Super Bowl, but...more
This is the story of the famous play in the 1982 NFC Championship Game, when Joe Montana (the BEST quarterback ever) threw to Dwight Clark in the back of the end zone with less than one minute left, to defeat the Dallas Cowboys. This crucial play allowed the Forty-Niners to play (and win) their first Super Bowl ever and led to a period of troubled times for the Cowboys.

Myers does a very good job recreating this game and the moment (the catch) that has become so famous in sports history. He also...more
Paul Schulzetenberg
Absolutely terrible. I enjoy me a good book about football, particularly one with some historical context, as this book claims to have. However, this book is thematically and formally a train wreck.

Myers set out to write a book about the collision of dynasties, the 1970s Cowboys with the 49ers. He chooses as the focus the most dramatic meeting between those two franchises, the 1981 NFC championship, best known for Dwight Clark leaping in the end zone to catch a high Joe Montana pass. His claim i...more
BooksAndTea
A look from various viewpoints of a famous football play, "The Catch". I wasn't even born when this play had happened, but I know of it.

It seemed promising and I was under the impression it would take us through a historical look at the buildup of the play. Instead, Myers looks at the coaches, the players involved, the owners and the paths the two teams took to get there and what happened to everyone after that play.

I thought the book was uneven overall. Sometimes it could be really interestin...more
Steve
On Jan. 10, 1982, the San Francisco 49ers beat the Dallas Cowboys in the NFC Champsionship game. The Niners went on to win their first of five Super Bowls. Gary Myers shows us how one play (Montana to Clark, aka, The Catch) made San Fran the team of the 80s and put America's Team, the Cowboys, into a deep freeze for the next decade, until Troy Aikman, Emmit Smith and Michael Irvin arrived to bring the Boys back to greatness.

Myers does a superb job examining the pivotal players of that game: Mon...more
Dustin
Not only is this book about the 49ers in general, which should be an automatic 5 stars, but its about the single greatest moment in 49ers history, another automatic 5 stars, AND its about the downfall of the Cowboys Dynasty, which should be an automatic 3 stars. This book could have been just the words "The 49ers were awesome in this game and awesome for a long time afterwards because they beat the Cowboys who were awful for the next 10 years," and it would have been guaranteed 13 Stars.

Alas, Ga...more
Sandra Strange
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I am not normally a sports fan, though I grew up playing and watching a LOT of sports. This book, focused on one climactic football pass play in the 1982 playoff game between the 49'ers and the Cowboys, is well told. The author proves how important the play proved to be, marking the beginning of a 49er dynasty and the beginning of the end of the Dallas coach's career. The book examines everyone involved with "the catch" on both sides--Cowboys and...more
Alan
this book is a little disjointed. Some great stories and I like the idea of approaching it from both the SF and Dallas perspective. But there is WAY too much repeating almost word for word. It feels like a collection of blog posts or magazine articles that were all collected together without any larger plan.

There was a very good story to tell here, and I found sections of it fantastic. But it had no comprehensive narrative.

In the end I liked some of it, but as a whole it was pretty disappointi...more
Mark
Extraordinarily sloppy book. Information is consistently repeated. Author -- former reporter with The Dallas Morning News -- also attempts to create these links between the 1981 NFC Championship game and the downfall of the Dallas Cowboys and the surge of the San Francisco 49ers in the 1980s. He also attempts to connect The Catch and that game with tragedies among the players a decade or two later when there is no connection. Seemed to lack focus or attention to detail.
Michael
Weird non-linear structure makes this book harder than necessary to follow. I'm not sure who actually wants to read about BOTH the niners and the cowboys....I assume fans support either one or the other, and this particular game means that only niners fans will read it, and the niners material is pretty well covered in other books. Though the writing is straightforward, the flashback and flash-forward technique is not. Alas.
Mike
If you're a fan of the 70's and 80's football 49er's and Cowboys you will really enjoy this book. Goes into the background of a lot of the players and coaches involved in "The Catch" NFL championship game. As an NFL fan who watched this game 30 years ago, I enjoyed it.
Chandler
Great book that takes you back to the moment on January 10, 1982, that served to change NFL history forever. I especially liked the "afterwords" aspects of all the players that made that game special. From triumph to tragedy, this book has it all.
Alpha
3.5/5 - Enjoyed reading about football history; since I only recently became interested in football, I didn't know a lot of the material covered in the book. That being said, it was pretty light and fluffy.
Riley Cooper
This book is too disjointed to merit a higher rating. However, there are many great anecdotes and a lot of insight into the ramifications of The Catch, so it still makes for an informative book.
Kim
Must read for football fans....even Cowboy fans despite us wishing the end result would have been different!
Tony Primm
Awesome book with background on the 1981 49er game and super bowl season.
Elizabeth
This was so poorly written that I couldn't finish it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Coaching Confidential: Inside the Fraternity of NFL Coaches The House Of The Worm Dark Wisdom Smart Mom's Baby-Sitting Co-Op Handbook: How We Solved the Baby-Sitter Puzzle On That Wisconsin Beat: More Wisconsin Pop/Rock/Soul/Country in the 50's & 60's