Start by marking “Obelix and Co. (Asterix, #23)” as Want to Read:
Obelix and Co. (Asterix, #23)

Obelix and Co. (Asterix #23)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  2,953 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Watch out! Julius Caesar has devised his most cunning attack yet on the indomitable Gauls. He has sent Caius Preposterus, a graduate of the Latin School of Economics, to corrupt them by introducing big business into their little town. But will wealth and success bring the Gauls happiness...or trouble?
Published April 28th 2005 by Orion (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Obelix and Co., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Obelix and Co.

Interview with the Vampire by Anne RiceSleeping Murder by Agatha ChristieThe Selfish Gene by Richard DawkinsLast Seen Wearing by Colin DexterIn the Heart of the Country by J.M. Coetzee
Best Books of 1976
78th out of 83 books — 30 voters
The Essential Calvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonCalvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonThe Authoritative Calvin And Hobbes by Bill WattersonCalvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonCalvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
Comics! Comics! Graphic Novels!
74th out of 252 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Amalie
It was good. There isn't really laugh-out-loud humour so I won't say 4 stars. Over all, it's a satire on capitalism and I didn't get some jokes.

some interesting twists:
Asterix and Getafix introduce the competitive market.
Impedimenta insists on being dropped off at the shops on her husband's official shield.
Preposterous (Roman finacial adviser) is a caricature of someone...I'm not sure
Menhirs are marketed in Rome as a luxury commodity.
Competing Roman menhir hits the market including an Egypti
nila
Berdasarkan saran dari Propesterus alumni Latin School of Economics, Julius Caesar memakai taktik ekonomi untuk mengalahkan orang-orang Galia pemberani ini.

Menhirs yang sebenarnya tak ada nilainya dibeli oleh Propesterus dari desa Galia, dengan harga tinggi yang terus dinaikkan. Hal ini menimbulkan kekacauan pada masyarakat Galia yang berubah orientasi ekonominya dari cara tradisi barter ke penggunaan mata uang. Dari masyarakat yang kental kekeluargaan dan gotong royong menjadi makhluk2 ekonomi
Vanja Antonijevic
Excellent story with...wait for it... an actual message. That's right, it's a comic strip with a goal in mind. But what is the goal? Answer: Marxism.

Well, this may be gowing a bit too far, but as Wiki notes:

"
-The book is a parody of capitalism as, while Obelix could hunt boar before, he begins to overwork for the purpose of buying them (and ridiculous clothing). This pointless circle of money is something Obelix never understands in the first place, when all this stress could be prevented by sim
Oliver
Obelix replicates the model of the boom/bust economy in the Menhir market. Could those cunning Romans be up to something? Yes. With gratuitous violence and flamboyant clothing.

A bit similar to Mansion of the Gods.
Linda Hall
AWESOME!!! There is nothing that comes close to Asterix - I have the whole series, both on e-books and hard-copy and they are some of most treasured possessions. I grew up with them and they are simply the best!
Redwan Orittro
Fresh and witty. This is the first ever Asterix story I read. I am 23 so I would say I deprieved myself of the characters all this time. The story line is catchy and whitty. A good laugh.
Denim Datta
23rd book of Asterix Obelix series. Funny story, but not LOL humors.

Obelix and Co.
Stefanus Andre
Tyrell Patrick
This is a very funny book with discipline in the Roman camp becoming lax as they get used to a procession of flamboyant Gauls entering their garrison and the absurd clothes the Gauls wear when they become rich are hilarious. This is one of the best in the Asterix series with its satirical look at marketing, capitalism and greed. The Romans are determined to rid themselves of their Gaulish problem and employ Caius Preposterous to corrupt the Gauls by creating huge demand for the useless menhir. D ...more
Bunga Mawar
Waktu mengajar materi perubahan sosial, saya langsung terpikir untuk memanfaatkan cerita ini!

Saya minta murid-murid saya menyusun urutan yang benar bagaimana warga desa Asterix yang tidak punya uang (karena tidak butuh) kemudian berlomba-lomba menjadi wirausaha bidang batu menhir :) Selain saya singgung tentang teori permintaan dan penawaran (ala Romawi yang ngawur di buku ini), mereka juga saya minta menganalisis asal mula kata-kata ini: "Kenapa kamu orang bicara seperti itu, toh?"

Kocak abis,
Veronica Molina
Jajaja... excelente como hablan de los tiempos de hoy... "Nadie se atrevería a vender algo inútil"... =)
Saint No Stopping Us

Seven out of ten. CBR format.

Demand for menhirs suddenly goes through the roof and Obelix has little time for anything but business. What can Asterix do?

Monica Pereira
Really funny and so true!
Irfin
Ini adalah buku Asterix & Obelix yg paling terakhir saya beli, sekitar jaman SMP (taon 93-95) skr dah ilang entah kemana karena uda pindah rumah.

Yg masih jelas teringat dari cerita ini adalah, bangsa romawi mencoba menyibukkan bangsa galia dengan membeli menhir sebanyak2x-nya dari galia meski sebenarnya mereka gk tau mau dikemanakan menhir2x itu kekekeke..

Entah berapa liter tinta dan berapa drum bir yang habis utk membuat komik ini hohoho..
Bruce
Obelix Co. – an excellent companion to Asterix and the Cauldron, flipping the premise to the side of capital; as a recent Roman business school grad prompts Obelix to mass-produce menhirs for Roman consumption
Bungz
"The following passage will be difficult for those of you unacquainted with the ancient business world to understand, especially as, these days, such a state of affairs could never exist, since no one would dream of trying to sell something utterly useless..."

Hahahahahaha... What a hoot?!

One of the best satires i've read on capitalism.

And oh, Obelix & Co., has its use - unlike the menhirs. *grin*
Yves
Dec 03, 2011 Yves rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: bd
Ce que j'ai tiré de ce livre c'est que le capitalisme c'est mal et ça rend décadent. Rendre décadent les gaulois, c'est la solution pour les vaincre selon ce tome des aventures d'Astérix. Quelle idée ridicule!!! Tout le bien de cette BD part en fumée simplement à cause de cette idée stupide. C'est une des pire histoire d'Astérix depuis le début.
Trupti
During my childhood, every summer holiday meant a visit to my grandparents house, which had a library of sorts, and a reunion with all my beloved characters from the Asterix and Obelix series. I never get bored of reading these, I've probably read them all a gazillion times over and enjoyed them immensely every time ...
Clicque
Nic
Great book. Absolutely great, I read it about 50 times in a week. I recommend it to readers who love graphic novels. I have read most of the asterix series and I loved them all. It has everything a graphic novel has. It is the best example of a good author and illustrator. Loved it
Thanks
Nic :-)
Mathieu
Encore un album qui prend tout son sens quand on est suffisamment mûr pour le comprendre. Satyre du monde de la finance et de la spéculation, cette album est complexe sur le fond, mais très abordable dans sa forme.

"Vous y'en a avoir compris ?" Comme dirait l'autre.
Karhum Ghassan
Julius Caesar has made his most cunning attack on the Gauls. He has sent Caius Preposterus, a graduate of the Latin School of Economics, to corrupt them by teaching big business in their little town. But will richness and success bring the Gauls happiness...or trouble?
Devero
Che succede quando Caio Giulio da retta a un giovane manager che gli consiglia la corruzione come mezzo per sconfiggere il villaggio degli Irriducibili Galli e il primo a farne le spese è Obelix e la sua amicizia con Asterix?
Una delle storie più divertenti e profonde.
Federiken Masters
Jeh... Me acuerdo de que en su momento, este libro era de mis favoritos sólo porque tenía a Obelix en el título. Creo que hoy me buscaría una excusa un poco más sofisticada para justificarlo, pero no creo que cambiara el resultado...
nanto
Suka Asterix dan Obelix. Suka juga sama senimannya yang selalu jadi pelengkap penderita hahaha

Tapi gak bisa lupa dengan Bajak laut yang kulit hitam, dengan gaya bicaranya, "A'a 'alia!!!!!" Selalu pasrah kalau ketemu orang Galia...
Fi °♥° LoveMoonStars
I've read this series of Asterix (and Obelisk) in the 90's at my Grandmother and Grandfather's place. I loved this series back there. Asterix and his friend Obelisk shared so many great adventures together!
Usama Albastaki
If you thought that Asterix comics were only for fun, then this particular title will prove that you are wrong. It is clearly showing how is international politics are managed even for our current days.
Tanya Miranda
I usually don't read comics or graphic novels, but every now and then my husband gives me one that I just can't put down. This one is a gem. I laughed out loud a couple of times.
Charyza
Sep 27, 2012 Charyza rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sapa aja dah yg seneng...hehe
Shelves: comic
di seri asterix ini giliran si obelix yg punya perusahaan menhir sendiri... hehe
gue suka duo asterix + obelix yg ga ada matinya kalo ngebanyol. hahaha, sangat menyegarkan.
Josh
Caesar decides to try and destroy the Gauls with economics this time! It doesn't work (of course), but many puns and great excitement is had watching it not working....
Obelix & Cia 2 18 Oct 24, 2014 06:26PM
  • Asterix and the Black Gold (Asterix, #26)
  • King Ottokar’s Sceptre (Tintin, #8)
  • The Complete Guide To Asterix
  • Jesse James (Lucky Luke Adventure, vol. 4)
René Goscinny was a French author, editor and humorist, who is best known for the comic book Astérix, which he created with illustrator Albert Uderzo, and for his work on the comic series Lucky Luke with Morris (considered the series' golden age).

Series:
* Asterix
More about René Goscinny...
Le petit Nicolas (Le petit Nicolas, #1) Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1) Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6) Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8) Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)