Start by marking “Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8)” as Want to Read:
Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8)

Asterix in Britain (Asterix #8)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  4,967 ratings  ·  85 reviews
The Romans have invaded Britain, but one village still holds out. Asterix and Obelix come to help, with a barrel of magic potion in hand. But to deliver the precious brew, the Gaulish heroes must face fog, rain, bad food, warm beer, and the Roman, too.
Published September 1st 2004 by Orion (first published September 9th 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Asterix in Britain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asterix in Britain

Red Rackham's Treasure by HergéThe Incal by Alejandro JodorowskyThe Nikopol Trilogy by Enki BilalTintin in Tibet by HergéAsterix in Britain by René Goscinny
Best European Graphic Novels/Comics
5th out of 446 books — 129 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Outsiders by S.E. HintonOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken KeseyCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Best Books of the Decade: 1960's
223rd out of 631 books — 819 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
I think I have discovered why England hasn't won a World Cup or Euro Cup in a while. Hot water time and weekends.

I loved the Rugby match! GO Obelix!
Andy
Anyone for tea, warm beer & Mint sauce with any type of boiled meat, What!
Helmut
"Tu sais bien, Obélix, que les Romains sont en Bretagne, pour la plupart." - "Mais ce n'est pas juste ça!"

Il est, n'est-il pas? Überhaupt hat Obelix in diesem Band, vielleicht einem der bekanntesten der Reihe, nicht viel zu lachen. Erst muss er Idefix daheim lassen, dann darf er keine Römer verhauen, dann schämt er sich wegen seinem Ausfall durch gallischen Wein, schließlich darf er nicht beim Kalebassenspiel zwischen Camulodunum und Durovernum mitspielen, und dann noch das ganze gekochte Schwei
Joseph R.
Asterix of Gaul is a famous comic book character, most notable to me because his adventures are available in Latin. His stories are a solace to those students tired of Julius Caesar and Cicero. The story is set during the Roman Empire, so it makes sense to be in Latin.

Asterix is resident of a small Gaullish village. The druid priest of the Village, Getafix, brews a potion that grants superhuman strength. Asterix drinks it now and then and beats up on the Romans while having other adventures. His
Martin
I read this one at different periods of my life, and it only got better every time (in fact, I think this book's due for a re-read!). As an 8-year old kid I liked it because the characters were engaging, the story was fun, and the art was very colourful. Though admittedly some of the jokes/cultural references were over my head - if I noticed them at all.

The last edition I read was actually the German translation Asterix bei den Briten , as I was learning German at the time and reading this book
Cecilia
Ils sont fous ces romains!... ¡Por primera vez tengo la oportunidad de decir que he podido leer uno de los comics de Asterix en francés! Hace años que vengo siguiendo las aventuras de Asterix y Ovelix, pero siempre leyendolas en traducciones al español.
"Asterix chez les bretons" es una de mis historias favoritas: tiene humor y acción. Ahora que pude leerlo en su idioma original, me parece muy interesante el recurso lingüistico para hacer que el francés parezca inglés :).
Tim Roast
This is the eighth Asterix adventure and this time Asterix is in Britain.

At the book's beginning Caesar invades Britain. "All Britain was occupied... All? No... one village still holds out against the invaders." Sound familiar? Anyway they can't hold out for much longer so Anticlimax, a second cousin, once removed of Asterix, goes in search of the famous magic potion. A barrel is made and Asterix and Obelix escort Anticlimax and the barrel back across Britain with the Romans hot on their trail.
Vasco Ribeiro
Júlio César e os Romanos invadem a Bretanha (Inglaterra), e por isso a vida na pequena aldeia Gualesa está muito calma. Os Bretões aguentam, mas têm estranhos hábitos (parar todos os dias às 17 horas, só lutar 5 dias em cada semana)pelo que são conquistados. Todos exceto uma pequena aldeia. Nessa aldeia vive um primo de Astérx que vem pedir-lhe ajuda. Astérix e Obélix acompanham-no à Bretanha, levando um barril de poção mágica, onde têm peripécias nomeadamente num jogo de rugby. Apesar do barril ...more
Byron Harrison
This is brilliant but you have to read it in French or you'll miss British-isms, like "je dis" or "c'est un morceau de chance."
Feliz
my favorite Asterix
David Sarkies
Asterix crosses the channel for some Roman bashing and a cup of tea
29 September 2012

I did not find this particular album as good as some of the other ones that I have read, though it has nothing to do with the writer's portrayal of the British. In fact, compared to the way the Simpsons did their episode on Australia (which, as an Austalian, I found incredibly insulting) I don't think they did that bad a job (but then again, I'm not British). Okay, I didn't get the whole joke about boiled meat (
James Venkatrao
This goes under 'a graphic novel' on my bingo board.
I had read this book because it looked like a very interesting graphic novel series that my friends also had read.
Asterix does it again with his companion, Obelix on his side. In this hair raising, fanatic adventure, Asterix's second cousin who is a British rebel comes in town to enlist the support of Getafix by using his magic potion, the British need it. Asterix and Obelix are needed to accompany him back home, and here is where the adventu
Hazey
My Favourite Because…
Julius Caesar has invaded Britain and succeeded, mainly because the British soldiers under Cassivelaunos stop fighting every day to drink hot water with a little milk and refuse to fight over the weekend.

We Brits do like to laugh at our own quirkiness and this is an Hilarious take on the British at it’s best.

I’m not so sure that Mykingdomforanos did actually impede Caesar's plans, but I do know one small village holds out against the Roman invaders. Asterix and Obelix are in
Vanja Antonijevic
The eight comic in the Asterix series, and also one of the best. Some of the most memorable moments are found in this book. Highly recommended.

The plot, according to Wiki, is as follows:

"Julius Caesar has invaded Britain and succeeded, mainly because the British soldiers under Cassivelaunos stop fighting every day to drink hot water (with a drop of milk), and refuse to fight over the weekend. As with Gaul, a single village remains independent, defying the Romans. One member of the village, Anti
Cesar Viteri
El estilo de Goscinny y Uderzo en este punto ya se ha consolidado, y este primer viaje a los tópicos y caricaturas de un país vecino es tan divertido como entrañable.

Asterix y Obélix, acompañados por el flemático Buentorax viajan a Britania con un peligroso barril de poción mágica a cuestas, pasando por escenas antológicas como la cata de los legionarios o el partido de rugby.

Muy recomendado.
Linda Hall
AWESOME!!! There is nothing that comes close to Asterix - I have the whole series, both on e-books and hard-copy and they are some of most treasured possessions. I grew up with them and they are simply the best!
Rashmi
The Romans are fighting the Britons and the Britons are no match for them. Anticlimax, Asterix' once removed cousin, leaves for Gaul to get help in the form of their magic potion. Asterix and Obelix volunteer to help deliver the barrel of magic potion. The Romans come to know of the barrel of magic potion and try their best to put a spanner in the plan. What follows is a laugh riot!

Oh, by the way, the story also dwells a bit on how 'tea' reached Britain!

5* because the 6 year old at home, on more
Mohammed Mortada
I dont think there is a people with carefree mode like the English in the middle of every thing hot water and vactions comes first
Veronica Molina
Bueno, con referencias chistosas a la Gran Bretaña actual (o tal vez mejor a Inglaterra, o incluso Londres, dentro de mi ignorancia).
Denim Datta
very funny story. read this in school days first, in bengali. and discovered now that it doesn't loose a bit now.
Saint No Stopping Us

Seven out of ten. CBR format.

The Romans have invaded Britian but one village holds out. Asterix and Obelix come to help with some magic potion.

Verity
My # 1 fav Asterix. Anticlimax, Asterix's Brit cousin, pays a visit to Gaul, just in time 'cuz Asterix & Obelix are bored as they have no legionaires to pound to submission. Getafix concocts a secret magic brew to help the Brits win against sneaky Caesar. The dynamic duo help transport the barrel to Britain. Hilarity ensues. Esp 'cuz the quirky Brits have a weird tendency to drop their weapons in the midst of a fast & furious battle VS the invading Romans, when it's break time for 'em to ...more
Sneha
Obelix gets drunk and we learn how Britain got tea!
Paul
9.5/10

Hilarious in so many ways. Pure genius.
Sayon
Loved the subtle use of British culture..
Karhum Ghassan
So far I've read half the comics of Asterix, I liked this book in particular as it is a great book with lots of funny moments for example: obelix keeps repeating these phrases "these Britons are crazy" these this........……these that these..…….…… I like when they had to search every pub in briton, but if that obnoxious chap stole me I'd rip his head of since he looks like a burglar. I felt soo frustrated when they left him without hitting him he looks so funny, but he'd look more funny beaten up ...more
Gavin
Just a comment on the publication date. I got the ISBN from my copy purchased in the 1970s, but Goodreads lists the publication as being 1990. I must have travelled forward in time to get mine.

Anyway, here Asterix and Obelix and a barrel of magic potion go to Britain to assist Asterix's cousin's village against the Roman invaders. You'll find out exactly why tea is so popular in Britain by reading this. Excellent and recommended, especially for young readers.
Oliver
A sweeping work of unbridled genius. I hadn't read it in years and it's still fantastic. The classic puns that must go over kids head are all there along with the jokes about the discovery of tea, British food and Welsh and Scotish accents. Bitchslaps every Disney cartoon you ever saw.
English behavior? 11 54 Feb 06, 2013 05:52PM
  • Asterix and the Black Gold (Asterix, #26)
  • The Calculus Affair (Tintin, #18)
  • Jesse James (Lucky Luke Adventure, vol. 4)
René Goscinny was a French author, editor and humorist, who is best known for the comic book Astérix, which he created with illustrator Albert Uderzo, and for his work on the comic series Lucky Luke with Morris (considered the series' golden age).

Series:
* Asterix
More about René Goscinny...
Le petit Nicolas (Le petit Nicolas, #1) Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1) Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6) Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2) Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)