Vector Prime (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #1)

Vector Prime (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  8,484 ratings  ·  223 reviews
Twenty-one years have passed since the heroes of the Rebel Alliance destroyed the Death Star, breaking the power of the Emperor. Since then, the New Republic has valiantly struggled to maintain peace and prosperity among the peoples of the galaxy. But unrest has begun to spread and threatens to destroy the Republic's tenuous reign.

Into this volatile atmosphere comes Nom An...more
Published June 3rd 2003 by LucasBooks (first published October 5th 1999)

Mike
Aubrey
This was both my first Star Wars book and my first Salvatore book. I made a deal with my husband, who has read and loved MANY a Star Wars book, that if I read Vector Prime that he would read The Hunger Games. So, game on!

With that said, I was intrigued because I thoroughly enjoyed the Star Wars series and Vector Prime takes place after the films end and the main characters are married and have kids. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book but I also love the characters anyway. It helped...more
Matthew
May 10, 2008 Matthew rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EU newcomers
I should admit right off the bat how skeptical I was to pick up this book. I can say with some certainty that I am not much of a fan of Salvatore's fantasy works. I hated the Dark Elf Trilogy so much that I abandoned it about halfway through. After reading Vector Prime, I realized this wasn't a slight on the author's writing abilities. Salvatore is a great writer, I just did not care for the character he had created in those novels. So if you're not much of a Drizzt fan and Salvatore's name on t...more
Crystal Starr Light
"I had built this bubble around us...Nothing could hurt us—could really hurt us."

Twenty-five years have past since Luke Skywalker went from a farm boy on Tatooine to destroyer of the Death Star. Han and Leia are married with three teenagers, Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin. Luke has married once-enemy, Mara Jade. But things are never easy for our heroes. Mara is inflicted with a strange illness. And on a far away scientific station on Belkadan, Danni Quee receives the first hint of a menace about to in...more
Stephen
4.0 stars. I just reread this book as I was going to read the next books in the series and it had been a long time since I read this story. It was terrific. As a "Star Wars" book, this is clearly meant to be the literary equivalent of a "summer blockbuster" which is not a bad thing by any means (I equate it to a lot of the other "fun" read books like the Dresden Files Series and the Harry Potter series). Well this book was an incredibly fun read. On top of being a fun read, it had the added bonu...more
The Mistah
I read quite a few SW books when I was a teenager - then they got boring and routine and were all about the same thing: some bad guy has a superweapon and the gang has to save the universe, yada yada yada.

So, I was in a bookstore looking for something to read on vacation and I saw a Star Wars book called Exile and thought, "well, golly! I haven't read one of those in over ten years - this will be fun!" Well, that book was fourth in a series - and there was a whole other series that came before....more
Benjamin Thomas
I read over 100 novels every year, in many different genres. I have read a lot of science-fiction and about 11 of the Star Wars novels. Just so you'll know where I'm coming from, I admit to a certain bias for RA Salvatore. I regard his fantasy works as among the best of contemporary authors. Having said that, I was thrilled when I first learned he would pen a volume of the SW universe. Finally I would get to read high quality SW adventure the way it was meant to be (Timothy Zahn also achieves th...more
Robert Wright
Media tie-ins are always going to be a mixed bag.

Very few in the Star Wars series really rose above average, and they quickly became a matter of diminishing returns for the time and money invested.

Vector Prime is the point where it just dove off a cliff for me.

Salvatore is a capable writer, and though I don't follow his other work, people do seem to look favorably on it.

I think the problem here lies with the editors and the course they chose for the overall ongoing storyline of the series. It's...more
Anna
Sara
I do not like the NJO books at all. I have several reasons for that, but they start in this book. Firstly, (view spoiler) but this didn't feel like that. This felt contrived.

Secondly, the new 'threat' is creepier than 'Entechment' and the bug-people combined. I like fighting against a creepy threat...more
Ernest Junius
Feb 01, 2010 Ernest Junius rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wookie
Recommended to Ernest by: Lucas
Shelves: shallow-reads
The first English-language book I read when I was in highschool. My fascination for Star Wars stretched so far even beyond the galaxy far, far away brought me to this book. I trudged through its pages, getting to know obscure words that filled every page of this book. I remembered there was one sentence in this book which needed me to open my dictionary for thirteen times. OK, that was my effort. However, I'm quite disappointed with the book, after my laborious effort, I thought the book just ge...more
William
Ron
Greg of A2
This is really a fine tale. Not too surprised that Salvatore could pull it off but then again, he did it within the Star Wars universe. Heart-pumping action and a horrific new villain. I liked this enough to buy the next two books in this series.
Taylor
I read the vast majority of the books in the NJO series. I greatly enjoyed many of them.

But this one sucked. I can't tell you why, as it has been years, but of all the books in the series, this one stuck out to me as actually being bad.
Michael Minutillo
Mar 13, 2011 Michael Minutillo rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
Shelves: star-wars
For fans of the original Star Wars films this is a good solid story with adventure and excitement galore. Set 25 years after the events of the original A New Hope film, the galaxy comes under threat from an invading force of frightening warriors. And who should stumble across this invading force? Han Solo with his ever-present sidekick, Chewie. Han's wife Leia, their jedi-trained kids Jacen, Jaina and Anakin (it's been 25 years after all). Luke and his wife Mara, whose rapidly failing health wil...more
Michael Tildsley
I read the first eight New Jedi Order books in high school around 2003. I remember enjoying them at the time, but not so much the substance of them, etc. They aren't as memorable to me as other things that I've read, though maybe they deserve a second look. I think this was my first Salvatore book, and I do remember enjoying the way he painted the picture of the post-film trilogy Star Wars universe.

I don't know if the thickness of #9, Star by Star, was daunting to my high school self, if I had a...more
Timber
Oct 10, 2011 Timber is currently reading it
Shelves: reading-again
I'm re-reading the series. It's been several years. At one point I owned the entire series of the New Jedi Order in mass-market -- and during a move that I was not at home to supervise, they disappeared. Which was interesting since they were literally being moved from one side of a duplex to another, from one bedroom to another. So it's not like they fell off the truck!! Some say they may be hiding in a box, hidden in the dark, shadowy depths of the duplex's extra garage....but who would dare go...more
Kevin
21 years after the fall of the Empire, the New Republic faces an evil greater than they ever imagined. This enemy force -- known as the Yuuzhan Vong -- numbers in the hundreds of thousands; uses organic beings as vehicles, weapons, and armor never before seen by the Republic; are highly skilled warriors; and, worst of all, do not fall under the control of the Force. As outposts, fighter squadrons, and, eventually, entire planets fall to the Vong, Republic reps Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Leia Orga...more
Joshua Sole
I have read and own many star wars novel and comics and this is a general review for the whole NJO series but it has to be the best series for me personaly, it brings somethng new to the SW universe, the legacy of the force series and the Fate of the jedi seem to be the same Star Wars idea just rewritten.

Legacy of the Force is a new dark lord rising to power to bring balance to the galaxy and so on and so on still good but sort of feels like I've been here before?

Fate of the Jedi again with luke...more
Chris
I read this book a little over ten years ago when the NJO series was still underway. Naturally, 14 year old me thought it was great -- it was Star Wars, but darker.

25 year old me still likes Star Wars, and really likes when Star Wars tries to mature a little or add "dark" horror-esque themes. This works really well for Vector Prime -- but it doesn't go far enough. That's to be expected though, since it's the first book in the series.

It's also a pretty bad book. It feels quite poorly-written and...more
Chris
Needed something familiar and fast. Well, I got it. Oh no, Chewbacca dies. Oh no, the jedi find a force-invisible foe. Oh no, this book was not that good. Oh yes, it was not very long. Every few years I read a Star Wars book and wish they were something they are not. Why can't quality authors take on a Star Wars book? Why do they all have to be lined up into this perfect little canon continuum? Personally, I pick and choose what happens in the Star Wars universe. Prequels? They do not exist. Mos...more
Jeff
Feb 01, 2010 Jeff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeff by: Becky
Shelves: sci-fi
Vector Prime was a great read. I am not the biggest fan of R.A. Salvatore, but in this book, I found that his writing style is not quite the same as his other books. He does some things that are unexpected, but not always unwelcome. However, after a while, you start to get the feel for what the characters are going to do just based on the way that Salvatore writes them.

There are some interesting insights into the various characters in this book, particularly Han and Anakin. The story sets up The...more
Tony
May 14, 2014 Tony rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans, R.A. Salvatore fans, Sci-fi fans looking for something new.
3.5 stars for this dark, gritty Star Wars tale about a new primal-type race bent on galaxy domination. Featuring Han and Leia and their three Jedi children.

The story and execution were great - the Yuuzhan Vong were a provocative race with their biological technologies and masochistic tendencies and hierarchy.

LOTS of characters die, and I love that. It lends an element of realism to the story, keeping you guessing.

I also enjoyed the character development and interaction between Han and Leia's c...more
Gabriel Smith
The expanded universe of Star Wars novels runs to hundreds of books, so knowing where to start is tricky - I started here as it looked like a good starting point.

This novel is set long after the events of the films all the imperial stuff is long over and the New Republic is coming to terms with peace.

Unsurprisingly, a new threat emerges to disturb the calm - the praetorian vong. These new villains are quite interesting, favouring genetically engineered life forms over technology but ultimately...more
Siobhan Parker
Synopsis: Over two decades after the Battle of Endor, Luke and Mara Jade Skywalker, as well as the entire Solo clan--Han, Leia, and their children Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin--encounter an enemy like none they have ever seen before: Nom Anor, the leader of a race of creatures bent on mass destruction. The heroes and their allies give it everything they've got, but the alien villains just won't back down, and no one is safe...
The first in the nineteen-volume New Jedi Order series.

My Review: This is...more
Virginia Lacefield
I loved RA Salvatore's Dark Elf series and I think he's a good fantasy writer, but this book didn't resonate well with me. I don't think he had a good grasp of the characters - they all seemed a little off throughout the novel. The writing felt very forced, especially during the emotional parts, which lacked subtlety and nuance. Overall, this was a disappointing and depressing novel that did not make me want to read more of the New Jedi Order series.
Rana
The book was alright until a beloved Star Wars character was killed off. Its not so much that the character was killed off that bothers me it is the way. The death was so ... not very well written and lame. The character could have had a better send off. This for me ruined the book and it was hard to finish after. I haven't read a Star Wars book since reading this book when it first came out in hardcover.
Matt
I had read other Salvatore books (Ice Wind Dale) and thoroughly detested them. I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. I discovered that all of his books are pathetic. It is like reading the narrative from a poorly planned role-playing game. I wonder if Salvatore has an uncle who is a publisher because definitely has no talent as a writer.

Wesley
I don't know what to say. This wasn't a bad book. Salvatore is a good writer....but I absolutely HATE this story arc and this one started it all. Some pretty epic stuff happens in this book. It's a must read as there is some important stuff that takes place in this book that you would never expect to see happen to the characters of Star Wars.
Remembering Stuff 2 21 Jun 23, 2012 07:37PM
  • Remnant (Force Heretic, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #15)
  • Ruin (Dark Tide, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #3)
  • Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7)
  • Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #9)
  • Hero's Trial (Agents of Chaos, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #4)
  • Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)
  • Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • Traitor (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #13)
  • Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #10)
  • Bloodlines (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #2)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s most recent original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-...more
More about R.A. Salvatore...
Homeland (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1) Exile (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2) Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3) The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4) The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)

“There is a difference between finding trouble in your path and going out of your way searching for it.”
-Jacen Solo”
18 likes
“Never seem to have a Death Star lying around when you need one.”
-Han Solo”