Start by marking “Change of Heart (Change of Heart, #1)” as Want to Read:
Change of Heart (Change of Heart, #1)

Change of Heart (Change of Heart #1)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  4,965 ratings  ·  394 reviews
As a young gay man—and a werepanther—all Jin Rayne yearns for is a normal life. Having fled his past, he wants nothing more than to start over, but Jin’s old life doesn’t want to let him go. When his travels bring him to a new city, he crosses paths with the leader of the local were-tribe.

Logan Church is a shock and an enigma, and Jin fears that Logan is both the mate he
Published November 2009 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Change of Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Change of Heart

Change of Heart by Mary CalmesWith Caution by J.L. LangleyWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyDuck! by Kim DareTrusted Bond by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Shifters
1st out of 739 books — 1,075 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleHot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie Sexton
Favorite Gay Couples
18th out of 2,091 books — 2,637 voters

More lists with this book...

julio
Sep 02, 2014 julio rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy absurdly hung Alpha men who like to announce that you and your asshole belong to him
Listen.

description

Once you get past a wobbly first few pages, forgive minor plotting issues, and just sorta... sit back and let this book happen to your face?

IT'S AMAZEBALLS, CRAZY-GO-NUTS, BAJARPANTI, AND ASSPLODINGLY HAAAAAAWWWWWWWT.

[gag reflex on the "aaaawww" in "hawt"]

One passage in particular gave me a raging boner for an hour, ehrmergherd you gaiz, srrrssly, I cannot even.

Some people dislike the tropes so deftly deployed in this one, but not me. No ma'am.

Well... whatever. But not this time!

I went th
Mel
Apr 24, 2011 Mel rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: e-book, m-m
Jin is a panther shifter who has been on the run for over eight years. At age 16 he was beaten by his own tribe and left for dead because he was an abomination. See: Jin is a reah, a destined mate to a tribe leader, but they're not supposed to be male... or gay...

I read this book because of the raving reviews. People loved the story and they were particularly praising about the world building. And now I wonder: did we even read the same book?

Because, yes: the author tried to set up a new world
Sheziss
One of my first books in the m/m genre.

description

This review will be Tarzan talking.

Jin is an unmated reah.

description

That means, he is destined to be the mate of one single semel.

That means, he is looked for by all tribes to be paired with its leader.

That means, he is respected and adored.

description

Yet everybody wants him dead.

Why?

Ah, I forgot, because he’s the reah.

description

Yet he hides himself because he thinks they won’t accept him.

Why?

Ah, I forgot, because he’s the reah.

description

Yet he is not respected.

Ah, I forgot, because he’s
Emma Sea
so . . . sometimes you shouldn't ever try to go back. Re-read four years later; what a load of drek *face palm*

Shockingly terrible.

(I'm not re-rating, though. I liked it in 2011.)
Gina
I just want to say about this book….OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!

This was fun, exciting, hot hot hot like i have not read in a book in a while and MM and panther shifters, and trauma, past abuse and wonderful world building. I enjoyed myself so much reading this, I can’t even wipe the smile off my face!!

Did I mention the sex was hot? Well it’s red hot, it’s panties on fire hot! It’s my hands are absolutely glued to my kindle hawwwt!!!!

There, i got it out, now I feel better! Now that I am done screaming in
LenaLena
I'll have to read more shifter books, I guess, because I am really, really not getting the ones I've read so far. And I'm not getting why this one is so popular, in particular.

I recently complained there weren't enough rules in some book I read (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...). This book has taught me that there is such a thing as too many rules too. A quick and dirty word search shows that there are roughly 50 discussions of laws and rules in here. The reason there is so much talk abo
Ingela
Written July 29, 2013

3 Stars - started well, kind of sweet, but I wasn't really hooked

A fairly entertaining novel, but also a complicated shifter world. Both good and bad, but I'm not get a huge commitment to the characters. A little too rushed perhaps? ~ Overall okay.

***********************************************************

Jin Rayne is a shifter (wewpanther) who prefer to avoid all were-tribe's. He wants to live free from the traditions and now he works at a restaurant in Reno to where he an
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
One of my favorite genres is shape-shifters. Especially rare ones (or considered rare in the story). This book caught my attention because that is exactly what Jin is. A rare black panther instead of a golden panther. You get captured in the story. You don’t want to put the book down right from the start, it just sucks you in. The writing can get quite descriptive about just ordinary things (which I love because it makes you feel as if you are living the story) and the sex scenes seem to fit the ...more
Em
This is the first book I've read by Mary Calmes and I really enjoyed it. I thought the tension created between Logan and Jin was amazing and really hot. I loved the fact that Logan wasn't going to take no for an answer and didn't back off for one moment. Jin was his mate and that's all there was to it.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series and would definitely recommend this book.
Amanda
I'm always wary of new-to-me authors, particularly lately, when I seem to be growing much more particular about my reading material. So (due in part to the low scores here on Goodreads) I put off reading this book. It has sat on my TBR list for quite a while, waiting to be cracked open and devoured.

That was my mistake. I truly enjoyed this story from start to finish and look forward to reading more work by Mary Calmes. I absolutely loved the main characters - Jin and Logan - and hope there are
Macky ~ Sinfully...Addicted To All Male Romance
Read originally in 2011.

Decided to have a reread after I found out my good buddy Gina was reading this and had reminded me how hot it was!
OMG, the sexual tension in this rockets! The love scenes are hot, hot, hot and Jin and Logan are true soul mates. Yeah, its insta love and sometimes jin can seem a bit too good to be true but that's the nature of most of Mary's characters and personally I love her formula so you either take that on board or you don't. There's plenty conflict, angst, soul sear
Lauraadriana
3.5 Stars

Okay so in the end after like a one year break, I tried this book again and damn IT HIT THE SPOT...Granted I had just read a TERRIBLE book, and I HAVE developed a taste for Mary Calmes this year, especially Acrobat LOVE YOU DREO!!! So this time around things were a bit more *ahem* lubricated for me.

So Jin is a werepanther and a "reah" a VERY rare shifter that is meant to be the mate of a semel. Semels are the chiefs of the werepanther tribes, and are also ALWAYS males. This was a proble
Ami
After being highly entertained by "A Matter of Time", this book left me cold. The love story is cliché and forgettable. I think what irks me the most is the concept of "you're my mate" thing.

If written right, the journey of finding and claiming a mate can be wonderful (for example Psy-Changeling series, which I totally love). But here, it feels like it is forced, there is no budding romance. It's like, you're my mate, accept it, I mark you, you belong to me, blah blah... It's completely boring.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
What can I say? I L-O-V-E-D this book. Like hug and kiss my Kindle loved it. Jin and Logan were just perfect, perfect, perfect!! Mary Clames just has a way of perfecting both characters and writing them in such a manor that you feel that they are made for each other, because, well, they are. I know I am a fangirl and I know that I probably will love everything that she writes but that does not take away from the fact that this was an excellent shifter story. The world building was awesome, the s ...more
Lily
Shifter story, werepanthers in this case, that deals with an Alpha, or semel, and his very rare mate, or reah, who happens to be a man. *gasp* Totally unheard of. Jin, the reah, has been avoiding all semels since he doesn't want to find a mate and be tied down. When Logan, the semel of the area sees Jin he knows they are mates. It's a bit surprising for the straight man but amazingly enough he seems almost a pro at gay sex super quick.

The rest of the story focuses on Logan trying to convince Jin
Heller
I don't know what I was expecting with this book but I was really surprised with it. The world-building was so different! There are panther shifters here with an Egyptian foundation that I found fascinating.

I've been resisting reading this because I tend to not read a lot of MM PNR. If this is what I've been missing I obviously need to expand my net because I got sucked right into this world and these characters.

Tortured hero. Check. Alpha mate. Check. Tight friendships. Check. Unique world-bu
Love it all bookworm
4.5 Mine All Mine stars!!!

This was different but I loved every word.

First there is Logan AKA Logeen he is the Semel Panther (Alpha male of the pack, king, leader what ever you want to call him) of the tribe. Believe me he is all alpha there is no question.

Jin:
description

Then there is Jin he is the Reah (now that means he is a true mate of the Semel but not just any semel. He was born for a specific semel. Reahs are very special they are very hard to find and if a semel is mated to a reah he gets a new t
Fangtasia
If I had to read another 'It's the Law!!!' or 'Look into my eyes'...I was going to scream. The repetition of the strange terms, i.e. 'reah', 'semele', etc., and the 'laws' got to me, too. Found myself saying out loud "ok, keep moving!!" or "yeah, yeah, yada-yada-yada, move on!!" several times. As it was, I finished it because the sex was pretty good, though totally unrealistic.

I'm afraid of going for another of her books.
Trisha Harrington
Honestly, every time I read a Mary Calmes book I finish the book with a happy feeling. She knows how to cover a lot of things but she never goes overboard or anything with them. So I never have to worry about a possessive guy (my favorite kind) being a complete stalker and I never have to worry that the angst in a book will overwhelm me and take away from my enjoyment of one of her books.

Change of heart was an amazing read! I loved almost all of the characters and I especially loved Jin. He was
DaisyGirl
3.5 Stars

Jin Rayne is a reah, an extremely rare werepanther. As a reah, Jin is destined to be mated to a semel, pack leader. However, no one has ever heard of a male reah so Jin has resigned himself to a solitary life. Logan Church is semel of his pack. When he and Jin meet, their destiny as mates is clear. Jin, however, is reluctant to go back to the old ways and resists the mating because he fears losing his identity and freedom. Both Jin and Logan will have to fight for their blossoming love
Plainbrownwrapper
At one point Jin changes "instantly" from human to panther back to human -- and supposedly, the speed of the change keeps him from destroying the clothes he's wearing. Really???? Cmon, people, speed has nothing to do with ripping through cloth!

Then there's all these "Laws", which are essential to the life of the pack -- but nobody knows them, including the leader of the pack??

"He was claiming me. I was his possession, and I wanted nothing else."

Oh gag me.

This book really trips my "chick-with-dic
Vivian
Engrossing read. I loved Jin and his handling of a tough deal. Respected and loved his best friend even more for standing by him. The second main character, Logan, wasn't as strong or developed as Jin. In fact, the slight inconsistency at the end kinda annoyed me.

(view spoiler)
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
I'm so bummed I put off reading this for so long! It was so different than what I expected. I had this idea that Jin was sort of a weak more feminine shifter whose mate would be this big tall alpha male who was bossy and demanding. It was not like that at all! Jin was a great character - though I think he should have had more care for Logan at points I could understand what he was fighting against. Logan was pretty amazing - and, though alpha, he was clearly in love. I thought the sex scenes wer ...more
Lo-Lo
My initial thoughts were : this is terrible, I love it ! I erroneously thought this would pull it off, be an ironically awesome book… until I read the 9th hafta and realised that I’d go mad before I finished reading it. In the avoidance of doubt, hafta is NOT an acceptable neologism, okay?

What I did like, and I admit – surprisingly - was the first person narrative in this. It’s a hard perspective to pull off and yet, this was one of the few things that I actually enjoyed. Jin’s a little dry, a l
JenMcJ
I probably would have done 3.5 stars if there were half stars. Cover is beautiful.

It just didn't blow me away. There were also noun and pronoun issues and editing problems that made me re-read paragraphs to figure out what was going on until I realized they were mistakes.

It tripped my "suspension of disbelief" meter a few times too.

I liked it, it just didn't blow me away and after the first two Matter of Time books I guess I expected more.
Irina
Audible

DNF @65%

I tried. I really did. Even with the constant eye-rolling and the most unbelievable insta-love, I still wanted to finish it remembering this author's other series I liked. This was so different I couldn't believe it's written by the same person. Feeling irritated with myself for wasting any more time on this, I gave up.
Riina Y.T.
`•..• º ..•` O-M-G!!! `•..• º ..•`

Holy Crap, I am in love with a werepanther. How the hell did that happen?

Oh I think I know how, I met Jin, the the loveliest gray eyed half Japanese werepanther and BAM! that was that. There was simply no returning once that guy opened his mouth…

Change of Heart and me go back a couple of years actually. I’ve been bumping into it on different sites, especially Goodreads, a million times by now and whenever I saw it I told myself: “The cover is tempting, the
Alvin
I liked this one but the pacing for me was a little weird. It was too fast at times.

I understand Jin by the way. Why he can't just accept to love of his life right away because he was used to being alone. Got that. Logan, who would not like him? But I needed a little more background from him. I liked and didn't liked at the same time how he quickly adjusted to being gay. I didn't quite liked how the characters here make a 180 degree turn from antagonistic to protagonistic.

I hate Jin's family (
Serena Yates
I loved this novel. Compelling is, I think, the way I would describe the experience of reading it.

The world building was great, everything revealed gradually, so that I was held in suspense for every new bit of information. The pieces, as they came together, all made sense to me, and the bigger picture that emerged was quite different from the 'usual' shifter world. The introduction of Ancient Egyptian mythology, in parts, was fascinating.

The characters have tons of quirks and interesting ways t
Elizabetta
Just re-read this for the umpteenth time. What draws me in to this story (yes, it takes a little while) is when the two MC's Jin and Logan finally meet for the very first time. And yes, the world building is a bit haphazard but it's really all about the special bond between these two and the fact that Jin has to be won over or woo-ed. I love it when there is wooing!!! Jin has been running away from his special fate to be mated to his one-and-only but Logan knows on first sight that Jin is the on ...more
  • Blacque/Bleu (Arcada #3)
  • With Caution (With or Without, #2)
  • Duck! (Avian Shifters, #1)
  • Wake Me Up Inside (Mates, #1)
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords, #2)
  • Lone
  • The Bonding (Gaven, #2)
  • Strength of the Pack (The Tameness of the Wolf, #1)
  • Bound By Blood (Soul Mates, #1)
  • Unacceptable Risk (Hidden Wolves, #1)
  • Skin Deep (Fae, #1)
  • Infected: Prey (Infected, #1)
  • Betrayed (Cursed #2)
  • Bayou Dreams (Rougaroux Social Club, #1)
  • Body Magic (Triad, #2)
  • Cake (Blood Nation, #1)
  • A Thread of Deepest Black
Mary Calmes lives in Lexington, Kentucky, with her husband and two children and loves all the seasons except summer. She graduated from the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California, with a bachelor's degree in English literature. Due to the fact that it is English lit and not English grammar, do not ask her to point out a clause for you, as it will so not happen. She loves writing, becomi ...more
More about Mary Calmes...

Change of Heart (5 books)
  • Trusted Bond (Change of Heart, #2)
  • Honored Vow (Change of Heart, #3)
  • Crucible of Fate (Change of Heart, #4)
  • Forging the Future (Change of Heart, #5)
A Matter of Time (A Matter of Time #1) Timing (Timing, #1) Frog Trusted Bond (Change of Heart, #2) A Matter of Time (A Matter of Time #2)

“I love you" I sighed, unable to keep the smile from my face,leaning back and looking at him through heavy-lidded eyes. "I really do".
"I know", he grunted, very pleased with himself. “You can’t live without me. I’m like cheese.”
69 likes
“It was surprising to hear it from his lips, my plain, ordinary name spoken as it never had been before, with awe, lite it was sacred, like treasure. Like I was treasure.” 21 likes