Start by marking “Change of Heart (Change of Heart, #1)” as Want to Read:
Change of Heart (Change of Heart, #1)

Change of Heart (Change of Heart #1)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,703 Ratings  ·  470 Reviews
As a young gay man—and a werepanther—all Jin Rayne yearns for is a normal life. Having fled his past, he wants nothing more than to start over, but Jin’s old life doesn’t want to let him go. When his travels bring him to a new city, he crosses paths with the leader of the local were-tribe.

Logan Church is a shock and an enigma, and Jin fears that Logan is both the mate he
Published November 8th 2009 by Dreamspinner Press (first published November 1st 2009)

Change of Heart by Mary CalmesWith Caution by J.L. LangleyWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyDuck! by Kim DareTrusted Bond by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Shifters
1st out of 892 books — 1,234 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleHot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsSticks & Stones by Abigail Roux
Favorite Gay Couples
15th out of 2,271 books — 3,040 voters

More lists with this book...

julio
Sep 07, 2015 julio rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy absurdly hung Alpha men who like to announce that you and your asshole belong to him
Listen.

description

Once you get past a wobbly first few pages, forgive minor plotting issues, and just sorta... sit back and let this book happen to your face?

AMAZEBALLS CRAZY-GO-NUTS BAJARPANTI AND ASSPLODINGLY HAAAAAAWWWWWWWT.

[gag reflex on the "aaaawww" in "hawt"]

One passage in particular gave me a raging boner for an hour, ehrmergherd you gaiz, srrrssly, I cannot even.

Some people dislike the tropes so deftly deployed in this one, but not me. No ma'am.

Well... whatever. But not this time!

I went through ha
Mel
Apr 24, 2011 Mel rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, e-book
Jin is a panther shifter who has been on the run for over eight years. At age 16 he was beaten by his own tribe and left for dead because he was an abomination. See: Jin is a reah, a destined mate to a tribe leader, but they're not supposed to be male... or gay...

I read this book because of the raving reviews. People loved the story and they were particularly praising about the world building. And now I wonder: did we even read the same book?

Because, yes: the author tried to set up a new world
Sheziss
One of my first books in the m/m genre.

description

This review will be Tarzan talking.

Jin is an unmated reah.

description

That means, he is destined to be the mate of one single semel.

That means, he is looked for by all tribes to be paired with its leader.

That means, he is respected and adored.

description

Yet everybody wants him dead.

Why?

Ah, I forgot, because he’s the reah.

description

Yet he hides himself because he thinks they won’t accept him.

Why?

Ah, I forgot, because he’s the reah.

description

Yet he is not respected.

Ah, I forgot, because he’s
Jenni Lea

Hi, my name is Jenni Lea and I'm a Calmes Crack Whore. It's been 5 minutes since my last Calmes. I tried to stop once but I almost died from lack of oxygen as my panic attack from thinking I would never get to read those addicting words took over.

Now I don't fight it. I just wallow in the goodness that is The Mary Freaking Calmes; flipping the bird to all those "friends" who want to "help" me kick the habit. Fuck them and their interventions!

Me and my fellow crack hos will be in the van, partaki
Gigi
Sep 24, 2015 Gigi rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Gigi by: Jenni Lea
Yeah! And it only took me 3 years to read! Loved it! On to the sequel...

Loved it!!
Gina
Jul 31, 2016 Gina rated it it was amazing
2nd reading 7/30/16 Still loving it!

I just want to say about this book….OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!

This was fun, exciting, hot hot hot like i have not read in a book in a while and MM and panther shifters, and trauma, past abuse and wonderful world building. I enjoyed myself so much reading this, I can’t even wipe the smile off my face!!

Did I mention the sex was hot? Well it’s red hot, it’s panties on fire hot! It’s my hands are absolutely glued to my kindle hawwwt!!!!

There, i got it out, now I feel bet
Emma Sea
so . . . sometimes you shouldn't ever try to go back. Re-read four years later; what a load of drek *face palm*

Shockingly terrible.

(I'm not re-rating, though. I liked it in 2011.)
LenaLena
Sep 14, 2011 LenaLena rated it did not like it
Shelves: mm, omg-wtf-bbq
I'll have to read more shifter books, I guess, because I am really, really not getting the ones I've read so far. And I'm not getting why this one is so popular, in particular.

I recently complained there weren't enough rules in some book I read (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...). This book has taught me that there is such a thing as too many rules too. A quick and dirty word search shows that there are roughly 50 discussions of laws and rules in here. The reason there is so much talk abo
R * A Reader Obsessed *
Mar 08, 2016 R * A Reader Obsessed * rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m

I'm not going to be bringing anything new with this review. I will say however that despite this story embodying classic, standard Calmes plotlines and characters (but with different names and settings) it really works well in the paranormal world.

The absurdity and plot holes can easily be explained away with the destined mates trope. Claiming and possessiveness and Logan going alpha on Jin's ass are all acceptable. Spontaneous sex whenever and wherever is absolutely guaranteed, and just lends t
Ingela
Written July 29, 2013

3 Stars - started well, kind of sweet, but I wasn't really hooked

A fairly entertaining novel, but also a complicated shifter world. Both good and bad, but I'm not get a huge commitment to the characters. A little too rushed perhaps? ~ Overall okay.

***********************************************************

Jin Rayne is a shifter (wewpanther) who prefer to avoid all were-tribe's. He wants to live free from the traditions and now he works at a restaurant in Reno to where he an
Tara♥
Mar 15, 2016 Tara♥ rated it really liked it

With all of the awesome Mary bits in between.

I hadn't a clue what was happening most of the time and I don't know who was who and what was what but it has a Jory (Jin) and a Sam (Logan) and Jory (Jin) being stupid and thinking he is not good enough or good at all for Sam (Logan) and Sam (Logan) being straight and falling head over heels in love with Jory (Jin) at first sight. Classic MC. Full of awesome.

The whole tribe thing is confusing and all the Russian names makes it even more
Marte

**** 4 growly MINE stars ****

Were-panthers? Sure, why the heck not?

This one surprised me, it was actually very good! The story was kinda ridiculous and stereotypical for shifter stories, but then I'm not looking for reality when I'm reading a shifter book.
There was a pretty big glossary to learn as well, like "Semel - leader" and "Reah - true mate of a Semel", and they are so frequently used that I could use the book as a drinking game and be smashed by the end of chapter three or something. Al
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
One of my favorite genres is shape-shifters. Especially rare ones (or considered rare in the story). This book caught my attention because that is exactly what Jin is. A rare black panther instead of a golden panther. You get captured in the story. You don’t want to put the book down right from the start, it just sucks you in. The writing can get quite descriptive about just ordinary things (which I love because it makes you feel as if you are living the story) and the sex scenes seem to fit the ...more
Em
This is the first book I've read by Mary Calmes and I really enjoyed it. I thought the tension created between Logan and Jin was amazing and really hot. I loved the fact that Logan wasn't going to take no for an answer and didn't back off for one moment. Jin was his mate and that's all there was to it.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series and would definitely recommend this book.
Brendy
Oct 05, 2015 Brendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: nh-shifters, mm
After reading some review about this one, I was expecting a whole caveman behavior from part of the guy… but actually it wasn’t quite like that.
So I’m not quite sure if I mess a book before this one, ‘cause the book goes straight to the point while teaching a lot of things about a culture, well… shifters, panther shifters that I’m still trying to get my fingers into… they are related to some greek and Egyptian miths, oh! And I’m also pretty much sure that the author has a thing for mangas, given
Amanda
Dec 09, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I'm always wary of new-to-me authors, particularly lately, when I seem to be growing much more particular about my reading material. So (due in part to the low scores here on Goodreads) I put off reading this book. It has sat on my TBR list for quite a while, waiting to be cracked open and devoured.

That was my mistake. I truly enjoyed this story from start to finish and look forward to reading more work by Mary Calmes. I absolutely loved the main characters - Jin and Logan - and hope there are
Macky ~ Sinfully Gay Romance Book Reviews
Read originally in 2011.

Decided to have a reread after I found out my good buddy Gina was reading this and had reminded me how hot it was!
OMG, the sexual tension in this rockets! The love scenes are hot, hot, hot and Jin and Logan are true soul mates. Yeah, its insta love and sometimes jin can seem a bit too good to be true but that's the nature of most of Mary's characters and personally I love her formula so you either take that on board or you don't. There's plenty conflict, angst, soul sear
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Sep 17, 2014 Jennifer☠Pher☠ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
What can I say? I L-O-V-E-D this book. Like hug and kiss my Kindle loved it. Jin and Logan were just perfect, perfect, perfect!! Mary Clames just has a way of perfecting both characters and writing them in such a manor that you feel that they are made for each other, because, well, they are. I know I am a fangirl and I know that I probably will love everything that she writes but that does not take away from the fact that this was an excellent shifter story. The world building was awesome, the s ...more
Meags
Mar 12, 2016 Meags rated it liked it
Recommended to Meags by: Jenni Lea
3 Stars

For some strange reason, I’m finding it really difficult to decide how I feel about this book. On one hand, this novel was basically an amalgamation of all of my favourite book tropes. This was a paranormal story; an m/m romance; a shifter tale, incorporating shifter lore which was wildly unique (if somewhat confusing at times); a story of destined mates (with a MAJOR Mine!Mine!Mine! feel) – all of this just screams “Meags!!”

Weirdly though, something didn’t quite work for me in the way th
Lauraadriana
3.5 Stars

Okay so in the end after like a one year break, I tried this book again and damn IT HIT THE SPOT...Granted I had just read a TERRIBLE book, and I HAVE developed a taste for Mary Calmes this year, especially Acrobat LOVE YOU DREO!!! So this time around things were a bit more *ahem* lubricated for me.

So Jin is a werepanther and a "reah" a VERY rare shifter that is meant to be the mate of a semel. Semels are the chiefs of the werepanther tribes, and are also ALWAYS males. This was a proble
Ami
Dec 30, 2009 Ami rated it it was ok
After being highly entertained by "A Matter of Time", this book left me cold. The love story is cliché and forgettable. I think what irks me the most is the concept of "you're my mate" thing.

If written right, the journey of finding and claiming a mate can be wonderful (for example Psy-Changeling series, which I totally love). But here, it feels like it is forced, there is no budding romance. It's like, you're my mate, accept it, I mark you, you belong to me, blah blah... It's completely boring.
Wendy Ciliacus
I just cant helpt it....Mary Calmes' books are like crack to me. Once I start reading I just can't stop. I know they are ott at times and I know that one of the characters is usually so fucking perfect and loved which makes it all really unbelievable, but I just love this stuff !!! Worms for me every single time. Hopefully it will stay that way..since I have a lot more of her books to read.

This one was about Jin and Logan. They are big cat shifters (yummy). Now the whole storyline is too much fo
Love it all bookworm
Sep 24, 2015 Love it all bookworm rated it really liked it
Shelves: shifters, mm, audio-mm
4.5 Mine All Mine stars!!!

This was different but I loved every word.

First there is Logan AKA Logeen he is the Semel Panther (Alpha male of the pack, king, leader what ever you want to call him) of the tribe. Believe me he is all alpha there is no question.

Jin:
description

Then there is Jin he is the Reah (now that means he is a true mate of the Semel but not just any semel. He was born for a specific semel. Reahs are very special they are very hard to find and if a semel is mated to a reah he gets a new t
Heller
Jul 13, 2012 Heller rated it really liked it
I don't know what I was expecting with this book but I was really surprised with it. The world-building was so different! There are panther shifters here with an Egyptian foundation that I found fascinating.

I've been resisting reading this because I tend to not read a lot of MM PNR. If this is what I've been missing I obviously need to expand my net because I got sucked right into this world and these characters.

Tortured hero. Check. Alpha mate. Check. Tight friendships. Check. Unique world-bu
Trisha Harrington
Honestly, every time I read a Mary Calmes book I finish the book with a happy feeling. She knows how to cover a lot of things but she never goes overboard or anything with them. So I never have to worry about a possessive guy (my favorite kind) being a complete stalker and I never have to worry that the angst in a book will overwhelm me and take away from my enjoyment of one of her books.

Change of heart was an amazing read! I loved almost all of the characters and I especially loved Jin. He was
Lily
Jul 29, 2010 Lily rated it really liked it
Shifter story, werepanthers in this case, that deals with an Alpha, or semel, and his very rare mate, or reah, who happens to be a man. *gasp* Totally unheard of. Jin, the reah, has been avoiding all semels since he doesn't want to find a mate and be tied down. When Logan, the semel of the area sees Jin he knows they are mates. It's a bit surprising for the straight man but amazingly enough he seems almost a pro at gay sex super quick.

The rest of the story focuses on Logan trying to convince Jin
JenMcJ
Nov 16, 2009 JenMcJ rated it liked it
I probably would have done 3.5 stars if there were half stars. Cover is beautiful.

It just didn't blow me away. There were also noun and pronoun issues and editing problems that made me re-read paragraphs to figure out what was going on until I realized they were mistakes.

It tripped my "suspension of disbelief" meter a few times too.

I liked it, it just didn't blow me away and after the first two Matter of Time books I guess I expected more.
Fangtasia
Apr 25, 2011 Fangtasia rated it did not like it
If I had to read another 'It's the Law!!!' or 'Look into my eyes'...I was going to scream. The repetition of the strange terms, i.e. 'reah', 'semele', etc., and the 'laws' got to me, too. Found myself saying out loud "ok, keep moving!!" or "yeah, yeah, yada-yada-yada, move on!!" several times. As it was, I finished it because the sex was pretty good, though totally unrealistic.

I'm afraid of going for another of her books.
Alona
Feb 08, 2016 Alona rated it really liked it
Timing is everything for me when choosing a book.
I find it is my responsibility to pick a certain book, that will fit my certain mood, at the certain time.
It's not the first time I'm talking about "timing" in picking up a book, but in the case of a Mary Calmes books, it's so important for me to do so.
Her no-less-than-perfect characters can, when in the wrong mood, make you want to scream and throw your kindle in anger, or, like in the case here, where I loved the easy, sweet, no angst plot.
I mea
Sara
So. Here is the deal. I don't read shifters. They aren't my thing. There is something in my brain that tells me to walk away from shifter stories because they are just not what my OCD brain can handle. That and a few other things I won't get into quite yet.

And yet lately, these boys have been coming up more and more, being mentioned in threads and comments on other stories and once my dear, JL mentioned Jin yesterdary, I knew I had to toss in the V-Card and give it up to a shifter story.

But
  • With Caution (With or Without, #2)
  • Blacque/Bleu (Arcada #3)
  • Lone
  • The Bonding (Gaven, #2)
  • Duck! (Avian Shifters, #1)
  • Sacrifice (Soul Mates, #3)
  • A Thread of Deepest Black
  • Unacceptable Risk (Hidden Wolves, #1)
  • Infected: Prey (Infected, #1)
  • Bayou Dreams (Rougaroux Social Club #1)
  • Betrayed (Cursed #2)
  • Force of Law
  • Wake Me Up Inside (Mates, #1)
  • Body Magic (Triad #2)
  • Cake (Blood Nation, #1)
  • Strength of the Pack (The Tameness of the Wolf #1)
Mary Calmes lives in Lexington, Kentucky, with her husband and two children and loves all the seasons except summer. She graduated from the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California, with a bachelor's degree in English literature. Due to the fact that it is English lit and not English grammar, do not ask her to point out a clause for you, as it will so not happen. She loves writing, becomi ...more
More about Mary Calmes...

Change of Heart (5 books)
  • Trusted Bond (Change of Heart, #2)
  • Honored Vow (Change of Heart, #3)
  • Crucible of Fate (Change of Heart, #4)
  • Forging the Future (Change of Heart, #5)

“I love you" I sighed, unable to keep the smile from my face,leaning back and looking at him through heavy-lidded eyes. "I really do".
"I know", he grunted, very pleased with himself. “You can’t live without me. I’m like cheese.”
81 likes
“It was surprising to hear it from his lips, my plain, ordinary name spoken as it never had been before, with awe, lite it was sacred, like treasure. Like I was treasure.” 23 likes