Start by marking “Slavery in the Roman World” as Want to Read:
Slavery in the Roman World

Slavery in the Roman World

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  15 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Rome was a slave society. Beyond the thousands of slaves who worked and lived in the heartland of the Roman Empire, slavery fundamentally shaped Roman society and culture. In this book, Sandra Joshel offers a comprehensive overview of Roman slavery. Using a variety of sources, including literature, law, and material culture, she examines the legal condition of Roman slaves ...more
Published August 16th 2010 by Cambridge University Press

To ask other readers questions about Slavery in the Roman World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slavery in the Roman World

Kevin
Jun 04, 2016 Kevin rated it really liked it
This book presents a great deal fascinating information in a straight-forward manner with very little padding. The reader will learn about how we know what we do about slavery in Ancient Rome, how the slaves were looked upon and treated, and how the treatment of slaves changed over time. The author does a great job at capturing what the life of a slave in Ancient Rome would have been like.

Other topics discussed are:
-how slaves were bought and sold
-what determined whether a slave was “good” or “
Lizzie Ashworth
May 02, 2016 Lizzie Ashworth rated it it was amazing
This book deserves five stars for the sheer effort of research involved. As far as readibility goes, a three might be a more appropriate rating. I'm an avid history fan and a research addict, but I found this rough going. It seemed as if the author said everything ten times, one time after another, each time adding one or another tiny bit of new information. Her effort to be scholarly (necessary, considering this is part of a Cambridge series on Roman civilization) is over the top in my opinion. ...more
Rosemary
Nov 03, 2013 Rosemary rated it liked it
Interesting information but I found it repeated itself rather a lot. I preferred the Keith Bradley book Slavery and Society at Rome but may have been influenced by reading Bradley first, since they cover a lot of the same ground. Joshel is more cautious, constantly reminding us that sources may be unreliable, while Bradley merrily cites novels and all sorts. Since my interest is general rather than academic I preferred the second approach. Others might not.
Bonnie_blu
Mar 14, 2014 Bonnie_blu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ancient_rome
Excellent introduction to slavery in the Roman world. Joshel also examines other slavery cultures throughout history, and explores the effects slavery had on slaves, slaveholders, and society. A must read for anyone who wants to try to understand how slavery could have existed in virtually all early cultures and into modern times.
Kyrke
Sep 30, 2013 Kyrke rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, english
Very comprehensible and informative. A little too many (unnecessary) pictures.
Nicola Wilson
Nicola Wilson marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Jon Rupinski
Jon Rupinski marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Zee
Zee marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
James
James rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Rosemary Moore
Rosemary Moore rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Aiminoes
Aiminoes marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Conor Reid
Conor Reid rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2015
Thomas
Thomas added it
Feb 15, 2016
Timothy Smith
Timothy Smith rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2015
Tirtha
Tirtha marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Carley
Carley added it
Mar 27, 2015
Andrej
Andrej added it
Jan 22, 2015
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2014
William
William marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Lepidoptera
Lepidoptera rated it really liked it
May 16, 2013
Kyle
Kyle rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2013
Jocelyn
Jocelyn marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2013
Davesmylie
Davesmylie rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2013