Start by marking “Shades of Gray (Amaranthine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shades of Gray (Amaranthine, #1)

Shades of Gray (Amaranthine #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Hunted by a coven of vampires, Katelina has only one person she can trust: Jorick. But when her knight in shining armor turns out to be one of the monsters she has to examine her perceptions of good and evil to survive.
Published September 29th 2009 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Shades of Gray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shades of Gray

Ruth
This is one of those books that starts off with a bang and keeps going. I couldn't think of one dull moment. Even parts that could have dragged on kept my interest because they advanced the romantic sub-plot between Katelina and Jorick, which led to the question, "How far will someone go to protect someone they love?"

The book starts when Katelina recalls finding Patrick (who is sort of a boyfriend but not really) dead in his apartment. Then she gets a phone call from someone telling her that he
E.G. Manetti
Not for the faint of heart, Shades of Gray moves at dizzy pace from threats of violence to actual violence as the heroine, Katelina, struggles to survive her sudden entrance into the world of vampires. Real vampires, as in the scary people eating ones. Exception: Katelina's hot protector, Jorick.
DM
Shades of Gray is an absolute must read for any adult. This was such a great read - a mystery, thriller, action, romance, paranormal book that I could not put down. Tired of books that take a while to get into? Then try reading this novel. It is difficult to set it down. The relationship between Jorick and Katelina develops quickly and is a sweet loving relationship that just makes you want to continue reading to see what happens to these two.
This is book one of a 3 part series, and I have alre
Maegan Provan
After the murder of her friend/lover, Katelina's life seemed pretty bleak. One day, while at work, she received a phone call that changed everything. Katelina was quickly shoved in to the dark, macabre world of vampires. She has to change everything she knows about them in order to accept help from the tall, dark and handsome stranger that has come to her rescue.

I absolutely loved this book. If you don't know, I'm a sucker for GOOD vampire fiction and this was definitely GOOD vampire fiction. Jo
Tricia Drammeh
Katelina is struggling to come to grips with the death of her lover, Patrick. When a stranger calls her and asks her to meet him, she balks at the idea. But how can she resist his promise to tell her what really happened to Patrick? Against her better judgement, she meets the stranger (Jorick) and finds herself caught up in a world she never knew existed. Katelina's life is in danger, and only Jorick can protect her.

I loved, loved, loved this book. The story moves quickly, but the reader is stil
Malene
In my opinion, Joleene is soon to be a well known Author. Her imaginative writings are entertaining with well-built characters with personality. If you like non-stop action and fun -- you will enjoy this book! I hope to read her next book soon.
Lance

Hello fellow members of The Book Marketing Network and welcome back to another edition of What I Am Reading!
I hope you all have been enjoying this action packed, short month known as February. So much going on and in such a brief duration of time :-)
Today I am reviewing Shades of Gray by Joleene Naylor. This is book 1 in her exciting Amaranthine series. I have included the images of the book covers of not only this first installment, but also all the subsequent books in Joleene's series.
You can
Sydney
This series is addicting! I read this book in a day! I highly suggest it!
Evil Twin One (Ange)
Runningrabbit
I would have liked to give this book a 3.5 star rating. I did enjoy this book except, and there’s always an except, the one thing that truly irritated me was the durability of the main character to being bashed up. Although she is bashed in the face and her head repeatedly bashed into the ground, abysmally savaged, she keeps a stiff upper lip. Guess it was just character building.

She can still get up, she doesn’t have a headache, she can still see, she has no concussion, she doesn’t seem to suf
Stephannie Beman
Katelina’s buddy-with-benefits is found murdered in his apartment. The result of a wild animal attack. But Katelina isn’t buying it. Of course she can’t explain what happened or why. Until she gets a call, “I know who killed your lover.”

Now she has a chance to get the answers, all she has to do is leave behind the life she lead to immerse herself into a world that turns reality on its head. She is about to learn that there are creatures in the dark, evil vampires that want her dead because of so
Amanda Masters
Awesome book! Joleene Naylor is a superb writer as she brings her characters to life threatening heights again and again. I love how every time you think the characters are safe something else shakes them up. it is a never ending battle of intrigue.

In this first Story In Joleene's Amaranthine Series Katelina and Jorick meet for the first time when her lover Patrick is brutally murdered and Jorick is the only one who seems to be willing to give Katelina any answers.

They are attacked by a band of
Claire
So, i finished the first book last night.

I wont lie, it was quite a hard book to get into. But once you do get into it, its a good book! The author took alot of time to try to describe each situation, but to a point there was almost too many of the "this felt like this" rather than just saying "it felt like this". Thats probably the only niggly bit about the books.

It paints Vampires in a very different light than what most writers are doing at the moment. No Sparkling, No bagged blood, and thery
Stacy Eaton
This was the first book I have read by Joleene Naylor and I very much enjoyed it.

As Katelina deals with the death of someone close to her, she gets pulled into a world that she was not aware of. While she is being pulled into the world, she internally fights against what she believes to be real and pretend. It takes her a while to completely comprehend what vampires are and what that life is about.

I appreciated the fact that Katelina did not just jump in and embrace the fact that vampires existe
Lisa
The storyline was very good However I felt very disconnected from Jorrick, for a master vamp, he seemed to lack alot of normal characteristics that are usually associated with that title, it made him difficult to like or dislike, I was indifferent. Something was missing overall but I can't put my finger on it. The author does write well though.
Sharon
I am a big PNR and UF fan. I have read all the big names out there. I had never heard of Ms. Naylor, but I happened to be browsing my kindle and thought "what the hey, give it a try!" I was left with my mouth hanging open at how amazing this story was. And by amazing, I mean from the stand point of a girl who likes her smexy heroes and fast paced action. The action was non-stop and fun. Jorick is to die for. She gives just enough of his motivation and background to make me want more. I can't wai ...more
Tresa da BookNerdette
*DNF
Made it 30%... The main character babbles alot and I found myself skimming from the get-go.
Renee Trull
I almost did not read this book because of the cover ... I thought it was a youth book. Just goes to show that one should NOT judge a book by it's cover. I really really like this book. Katelina is a good character though a little slow on the uptake some times when it comes to the vampire world, but, you can't help but have hope for her. Jorick is great! He's so moody and shut down that you know there is some horrible secret he's hiding, you just want to shake his and hug his at the same time.
Ve
Nicole
Oct 11, 2011 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes vampire books
For me to finished a 620 page book in just over 24 hours means it was a very good read! I have all of her books except #3 since its not on Nook yet. I look forward to reading the next one!
Karin
The only reason I finished this book was because the storyline was decent. The writing and all but one of the characters were horrible.
Iris
Had to give up halfway. Heroine whined too much and story didn't grab me.
Meh. I liked it, but it was slow-going. I do plan on reading the next book in the series.
Amy
liked it. fairly violent and gory. not what i normally like, but i'll continue the series. :-)
Brandy Kay
It is ok did not fully get my interest.
Stephanie Hill Alexander
Great story line and very quick read.
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
calli horne
calli horne marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
  • Destiny of the Female Warrior (Nephilim Warrior, #2)
  • Prospero's Daughter
  • Back to the Garden
  • Sacrifice (Soul Mates, #3)
  • Facing Fear (S.A.S.S., #2)
  • The Duke's Willful Wife
  • Angel of Death (The Chosen Chronicles #1)
  • Crimson Rapture
  • Night Realm (Night Realm, #1)
  • The Reiver
  • When Angels Fall
  • The Gripping Beast
  • Nightmares of Caitlin Lockyer (Nightmares, #1)
  • Being Mrs. Dracula
  • Becoming Invisible (The Alaskan Heart Saga, #3)
  • Blackbird Lake (Lonesome Way #3)
  • Celine (The Night Touched Chronicles, #1)
  • A Slash of Savagery (Wiccan-Were-Bear Book 8)
Joleene Naylor is the author of the glitter-less Amaranthine vampire series, a world where vampires aren’t for children. As a compliment to the novel series, she has also written several short stories, including the Vampire Morsels collection, and has plans for an Amaranthine Encyclopedia.

In her spare time, Joleene is a freelance book cover designer (http://coverart.joleenenaylor.com) and for-fun
More about Joleene Naylor...

Amaranthine (6 books)
  • Legacy of Ghosts (Amaranthine, #2)
  • Ties of Blood (Amaranthine, #3)
  • Ashes of Deceit (Amaranthine #4)
  • Heart of the Raven (Amaranthine, #5)
  • Children of Shadows
101 Tips for Traveling with a Vampire Legacy of Ghosts (Amaranthine, #2) Adam (Vampire Morsels) Alexander (Vampire Morsels) Arowenia (Vampire Morsels)