Start by marking “Shades of Gray (Amaranthine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shades of Gray (Amaranthine, #1)

Shades of Gray (Amaranthine #1)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  155 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
When Patrick is found dead in his apartment, Katelina is left in a vacuum of uncertainty with no leads. Then the enigmatic Jorick appears. In a single sweep he turns over the rocks of reality to reveal what hides underneath in the shadows; monsters that she thought only existed in horror movies. Trapped in a nightmare, Katelina is forced to accept the truth of vampires; va ...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Shades of Gray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shades of Gray

Ruth
Jan 15, 2010 Ruth rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that starts off with a bang and keeps going. I couldn't think of one dull moment. Even parts that could have dragged on kept my interest because they advanced the romantic sub-plot between Katelina and Jorick, which led to the question, "How far will someone go to protect someone they love?"

The book starts when Katelina recalls finding Patrick (who is sort of a boyfriend but not really) dead in his apartment. Then she gets a phone call from someone telling her that he
D.M.
Feb 02, 2014 D.M. rated it it was amazing
Shades of Gray is an absolute must read for any adult. This was such a great read - a mystery, thriller, action, romance, paranormal book that I could not put down. Tired of books that take a while to get into? Then try reading this novel. It is difficult to set it down. The relationship between Jorick and Katelina develops quickly and is a sweet loving relationship that just makes you want to continue reading to see what happens to these two.
This is book one of a 3 part series, and I have alre
Emily Guido
Mar 12, 2015 Emily Guido rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Review of Shades of Gray, Amaranthine Series, Book One by Author Joleene Naylor.

Katelina was a normal young woman who was in a on again off again relationship with Patrick. She comes home one day to find Patrick brutally murdered.

Unbeknownst to her, Patrick was in a world of vampires with ancient laws, cruelty and unspeakable terrors.

Katelina is suddenly drawn into the grips of danger when she is offered protection from Jorick. He wants to protect her. They travel to escape the danger from a pow
Maegan Provan
Mar 27, 2014 Maegan Provan rated it it was amazing
After the murder of her friend/lover, Katelina's life seemed pretty bleak. One day, while at work, she received a phone call that changed everything. Katelina was quickly shoved in to the dark, macabre world of vampires. She has to change everything she knows about them in order to accept help from the tall, dark and handsome stranger that has come to her rescue.

I absolutely loved this book. If you don't know, I'm a sucker for GOOD vampire fiction and this was definitely GOOD vampire fiction. Jo
Tricia Drammeh
Katelina is struggling to come to grips with the death of her lover, Patrick. When a stranger calls her and asks her to meet him, she balks at the idea. But how can she resist his promise to tell her what really happened to Patrick? Against her better judgement, she meets the stranger (Jorick) and finds herself caught up in a world she never knew existed. Katelina's life is in danger, and only Jorick can protect her.

I loved, loved, loved this book. The story moves quickly, but the reader is stil
E.G. Manetti
May 20, 2015 E.G. Manetti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not for the faint of heart, Shades of Gray moves at dizzy pace from threats of violence to actual violence as the heroine, Katelina, struggles to survive her sudden entrance into the world of vampires. Real vampires, as in the scary people eating ones. Exception: Katelina's hot protector, Jorick.
Malene
May 04, 2012 Malene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion, Joleene is soon to be a well known Author. Her imaginative writings are entertaining with well-built characters with personality. If you like non-stop action and fun -- you will enjoy this book! I hope to read her next book soon.
Lance
May 05, 2014 Lance rated it it was amazing

Hello fellow members of The Book Marketing Network and welcome back to another edition of What I Am Reading!
I hope you all have been enjoying this action packed, short month known as February. So much going on and in such a brief duration of time :-)
Today I am reviewing Shades of Gray by Joleene Naylor. This is book 1 in her exciting Amaranthine series. I have included the images of the book covers of not only this first installment, but also all the subsequent books in Joleene's series.
You can
Sydney
Feb 25, 2012 Sydney rated it it was amazing
This series is addicting! I read this book in a day! I highly suggest it!
Jan 03, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it
I wasn't fond of the first chapter lead in. It seemed disjointed. It left me with the feeling of being dumped in the middle of something. There is never any real attachment for Jorrick, no background to develop any feelings for him. Katelina is far to busy questioning herself and must be a bit daft not to leave after round one. Never got any strong feeling for her other than "you're kidding me right?". Gory. Some good writing and plot but just lacking the character development to keep me reading ...more
Evil Twin One (Ange)
Runningrabbit
I would have liked to give this book a 3.5 star rating. I did enjoy this book except, and there’s always an except, the one thing that truly irritated me was the durability of the main character to being bashed up. Although she is bashed in the face and her head repeatedly bashed into the ground, abysmally savaged, she keeps a stiff upper lip. Guess it was just character building.

She can still get up, she doesn’t have a headache, she can still see, she has no concussion, she doesn’t seem to suf
Stephannie Beman
Oct 14, 2010 Stephannie Beman rated it really liked it
Katelina’s buddy-with-benefits is found murdered in his apartment. The result of a wild animal attack. But Katelina isn’t buying it. Of course she can’t explain what happened or why. Until she gets a call, “I know who killed your lover.”

Now she has a chance to get the answers, all she has to do is leave behind the life she lead to immerse herself into a world that turns reality on its head. She is about to learn that there are creatures in the dark, evil vampires that want her dead because of so
Amanda Masters
Awesome book! Joleene Naylor is a superb writer as she brings her characters to life threatening heights again and again. I love how every time you think the characters are safe something else shakes them up. it is a never ending battle of intrigue.

In this first Story In Joleene's Amaranthine Series Katelina and Jorick meet for the first time when her lover Patrick is brutally murdered and Jorick is the only one who seems to be willing to give Katelina any answers.

They are attacked by a band of
Claire
May 03, 2013 Claire rated it liked it
So, i finished the first book last night.

I wont lie, it was quite a hard book to get into. But once you do get into it, its a good book! The author took alot of time to try to describe each situation, but to a point there was almost too many of the "this felt like this" rather than just saying "it felt like this". Thats probably the only niggly bit about the books.

It paints Vampires in a very different light than what most writers are doing at the moment. No Sparkling, No bagged blood, and thery
Stacy Eaton
Jul 20, 2011 Stacy Eaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I have read by Joleene Naylor and I very much enjoyed it.

As Katelina deals with the death of someone close to her, she gets pulled into a world that she was not aware of. While she is being pulled into the world, she internally fights against what she believes to be real and pretend. It takes her a while to completely comprehend what vampires are and what that life is about.

I appreciated the fact that Katelina did not just jump in and embrace the fact that vampires existe
WINONA F.
Apr 29, 2016 WINONA F. rated it it was amazing
omg! omg!! this book drew me in from the very beginning! kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading it and I couldn't put it down!! literally read it in less than a day! I am so enthralled with the charecters Jorick and Katelina that I can't wait to see what the world has in store for them both now that things have changed!! so ready to start book 2 and will be doing that tonight!!!
Mar 18, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
The storyline was very good However I felt very disconnected from Jorrick, for a master vamp, he seemed to lack alot of normal characteristics that are usually associated with that title, it made him difficult to like or dislike, I was indifferent. Something was missing overall but I can't put my finger on it. The author does write well though.
Sharon
Oct 05, 2010 Sharon rated it it was amazing
I am a big PNR and UF fan. I have read all the big names out there. I had never heard of Ms. Naylor, but I happened to be browsing my kindle and thought "what the hey, give it a try!" I was left with my mouth hanging open at how amazing this story was. And by amazing, I mean from the stand point of a girl who likes her smexy heroes and fast paced action. The action was non-stop and fun. Jorick is to die for. She gives just enough of his motivation and background to make me want more. I can't wai ...more
Shelly Turner
May 10, 2016 Shelly Turner rated it it was amazing
this first book is my favorite so far of the whole line it is exciting it has a taste to it some parts to get slow though and I find myself skipping chapters in trying to get ahead because it's so wordy but it is a good read
Apr 28, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Fun, exciting read. Different from any I have read in this genre, I am hooked. I would highly recommend this series to anyone who is looking for something new.
Heather Stanley
Dec 31, 2015 Heather Stanley rated it it was amazing
This is a new series for me, I stumbled into a book party and now I'm so happy I did!!! The party was for another book in the series so being me I had to go back and start form the first!
I love a new find and this one fit the bill! The writing style is no holds bared and fast paced so it hooks you right in, I could not put it down! This is not a sappy typical vampire story it has a more real life feel to it.
Katelina has a pretty normal life until it all falls apart for her, she is pulled into a
BookNerdette
Dec 24, 2014 BookNerdette added it
Shelves: dnf
*DNF
Made it 30%... The main character babbles alot and I found myself skimming from the get-go.
Renee Trull
Jan 02, 2012 Renee Trull rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
I almost did not read this book because of the cover ... I thought it was a youth book. Just goes to show that one should NOT judge a book by it's cover. I really really like this book. Katelina is a good character though a little slow on the uptake some times when it comes to the vampire world, but, you can't help but have hope for her. Jorick is great! He's so moody and shut down that you know there is some horrible secret he's hiding, you just want to shake his and hug his at the same time.
Ve
Nicole
Oct 11, 2011 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes vampire books
For me to finished a 620 page book in just over 24 hours means it was a very good read! I have all of her books except #3 since its not on Nook yet. I look forward to reading the next one!
Christine Connolly
May 20, 2016 Christine Connolly rated it it was amazing
Addicting and fascinating! I absolutely loved the book, I did not take a break between this and Legacy of Ghosts I had to jump right in.
Karin
Jan 12, 2013 Karin rated it did not like it
The only reason I finished this book was because the storyline was decent. The writing and all but one of the characters were horrible.
Iris
Sep 24, 2014 Iris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Had to give up halfway. Heroine whined too much and story didn't grab me.
Aug 10, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: vamps, 100-in-2011
Meh. I liked it, but it was slow-going. I do plan on reading the next book in the series.
Amy
Jul 22, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
liked it. fairly violent and gory. not what i normally like, but i'll continue the series. :-)
  • Destiny of the Female Warrior (Nephilim Warrior, #2)
  • Prospero's Daughter
  • The Duke's Willful Wife (Friends Forever Series, #2)
  • Back to the Garden
  • Sacrifice (Soul Mates, #3)
  • Blood Thirst (Blood Thirst, #2)
  • Becoming Invisible (The Alaskan Heart Saga, #3)
  • Crimson Rapture
  • Celine (The Night Touched Chronicles, #1)
  • Surrender to Love
  • Guilty Passion
  • Seducing the Vampire (Draicon Werewolves, #6)
  • Willing Submission
  • Facing Fear (S.A.S.S., #2)
  • The Reiver
  • The Forbidden Chamber
  • The Gripping Beast
  • Blackbird Lake (Lonesome Way #3)
Joleene Naylor is the author of the glitter-less Amaranthine vampire series, a world where vampires aren't for children. As a compliment to the novel series, she has also written several short stories, including the Vampire Morsels collection.

In her spare time, Joleene is a freelance book cover designer and for-fun photographer . She maintains several blogs full of odd ramblings, and occasionally
More about Joleene Naylor...

Amaranthine (8 books)
  • Legacy of Ghosts (Amaranthine, #2)
  • Ties of Blood (Amaranthine, #3)
  • Ashes of Deceit (Amaranthine #4)
  • Heart of the Raven (Amaranthine, #5)
  • Children of Shadows
  • Clash of Legends (Amaranthine Book 7)
  • Masque of the Vampire (Amaranthine Book 8)