Start by marking “Four Corners of Night” as Want to Read:
Four Corners of Night

Four Corners of Night

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A twelve-year-old girl is snatched from the street where she lives. And for two cops, Mack Steiner and Bank Arbaugh--partners, best friends, fathers themselves--the girl's disappearance will hurtle them back through layers of friendship, memory, and loss. Because seven years before, Bank's own daughter vanished without a trace. And now, as police descend on the small midwe ...more
Published October 12th 1999 by Island Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Four Corners of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Corners of Night

The Big Sleep by Raymond ChandlerThe Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha ChristieFarewell, My Lovely by Raymond ChandlerThe Moonstone by Wilkie CollinsThe Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
Bloomsbury 100 Must Read Crime Novels
147th out of 154 books — 119 voters
The Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownWood, Talc and Mr. J by Chris   RoseZ213 by Dimitris Lyacos90 Miles to Freedom by K.C. HiltonGRIT The Banter and Brutality of the Late-Night Cab by Karl Wiggins
Unique Books
487th out of 537 books — 370 voters

More lists with this book...

Erica Powers
My mind is blown that so many readers gave this book three stars or less. This is one of those rare mystery books--a title few people have heard of by an author few people have heard of, yet it's better than most of the mysteries on today's top ten lists. I have to admit that I've read other books by Holden and didn't care much for them, but this one is superb; the writing is amazing, the characters are lifelife, and the plot has a very interesting twist at the end that shows just how un-"black ...more
Ellen Keim
This was an excellent mystery/character study, just the way I like them. I'm reading "The River Sorrow" and it doesn't seem to have been written by the same person. "Four Corners" is written in the first person and "Sorrow" isn't, which may account for some of the difference between them. But I'll say more about that when I review "Sorrow."

This is partly a police procedural and centers on a kidnapping--actually two of them, seven years apart. The story is seen through the eyes of the narrator,
Lisa H.
About a hundred years ago, when I was still in college, a friend bought me a mystery novel - and I was hooked. I have always been a hard-core devotee of speculative fiction (science fiction/fantasy), but I'll read pretty much anything that grabs me, and mysteries - particularly police procedurals - have for a long time now run a close second to my beloved SF. The best ones, though, are not just whodunnits - they delve into the dark night of the psyche at the same time as they dig into the crime ...more
Shannon Hollinger
I love Craig Holden's style of writing. He's not afraid to vilify his protagonists. He's also completely inside his character's heads, fully developing them and their histories in a way that few authors do. This story was gritty and emotional, entering territory that most writers would eschew, but doing it in a way that makes the reader welcome the outcome, no matter how uncomfortable it may be.
Atef Attia
Au fil des pages, l'auteur nous fait vivre en parallèle deux enquêtes similaires, deux enlèvements de fillettes qui rappellent aux deux protagonistes principaux de vieux démons passés et qui se retrouvent inextricablement liées. Mais ici, l'on s'intéresse surtout aux personnages eux mêmes, à leur quotidien, aux origines de leur profonde amitié et à leur psychologie que Craig Holden décrit avec une rare justesse et qui donne toute sa force au livre.
L'intrigue, elle, est menée avec suffisamment d
Charlene Gordon
Good book. Read this in 2001.
Cassettes in 2000.
Ron Tuohy
Set in Toledo. Although the city isn't named, it's very obvious. Holden made some changes in geography, so that's likely why Toledo isn't Toledo. For example, Ottawa Hills is called Heron Hills. But it's just a neighborhood within the city, rather than a separate entity, so that the city police could have jurisdiction there. Anyway, it's a good book and some of you might find it especially interesting because of the location. Btw, Holden's Narcissist's Daughter is also a Toledo story.
Matthew Dixon
A very messy book and i mean that in a good way. Nominally a mystery book but the mystery is perhaps the weakest part of the story. The book's strengths lay in the grittiness of the characters and the author's refusal to take the easy way out on anything. Also, i liked that the story was told through the eyes of the straight arrow character so the motivations of the more fully realized characters are always elusive. Worth the time if this is the kind of book that interests you.
This story is about two cops who have been best friends since childhood.One of them had a daughter who was abducted and never found.7 years later they must work a similar case.The story jumps back and forth and I had a hard time in the beginning keeping up.But once the cases started to become connected it really grabbed me.I wasn't crazy about it at first but ended up really liking this story.But some of the ending felt a little too convenient for me.
The title says it all: this is a dark, bleak book that succeeds in showing glints of humanity among the tragic lives of the characters. Singular in tone, life is a weight to all of its characters, not by choice or action, but by circumstance. A very compelling, if slightly long, read.

The story relies on a couple of broad ideas, but if they don't throw you, there's a very grounded story about friendship and family in this novel.
Ralph McEwen
A well written novel. That goes back a forth between a current child missing case and past events in the detectives lives. There are some insightful parts and sometimes the story seem to drag. This is not a action filled thriller.
This book is registered at
Marianne Stehr
I totally couldn't get into this one. It was slow, had several plots going at once and in my opinion not developing but full blown situations that required you to multi-focus too early on. I decided I didn't care to stick with it.
On the whole this was a very readable book. It follows the disappearance of two girls, years apart. I was gripped enough to want to know what had happened to the girls, but actually slightly disappointed by the conclusion of the book.
Sep 10, 2007 Staci rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: crime readers
This didn't end like I thought it would. Thae author really threw me for a loop. The back story is necessary to understand the entire book, but it caused me confussion if I wasn't attending to the book completely.
This was pretty good for a "grocery store paperback" and it was a page turner. But, towards the end it had a strange sexual twist that I thought was creepy, so I can't wholeheartedly recommend this book.
Excellent book. You start out thinking you're getting a standard police procedural thriller but it's so much more. Definitely worth a look. The shock ending is like a punch to the gut.
Sienna Escobar
My mother told me about this book. Once she mentioned it, I was intrigued. There are chapters about my 2 uncles. It was kind of crazy, that my mother's brothers are in this book.
I read this book a very long time ago but I still cant get enough. Its a ride from start to finish. Its a thriller, but anyone I'm sure would enjoy reading this book.
Another in the category of reading anything I can get my hands on in English. Not bad entertainment if you need time for your brain to rest.
the flipping of three different time zones was annoying and the plot predictible, otherwise it was ok
Unnerving. No author has stripped me bare and shaken my soul as Mr. Holden can, and does, with his writing.
Loved it. Great characters, suspense and a nice twist at the end.
Rod Zemke
3.5--the a bit thin, but very entertaining
Very good mystery. Thought provoking.
Stefanie marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Sidney added it
Oct 05, 2015
Thepinkpig Abides
Thepinkpig Abides marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
  • The Edge of Sleep
  • Dogs of God
  • Fruits of the Poisonous Tree (Joe Gunther #5)
  • God Is a Bullet
  • Candyland
  • A Likeness In Stone
  • Not Comin' Home to You
  • Violation
  • Going Native
  • The War Inside (The Horizons Trilogy, #1)
  • Let the Dog Drive
  • The Debt Collector (Sonora Blair, Book 4)
  • Virgin of the Rodeo
  • Red Light (Merci Rayborn #2)
  • Fast One
  • No Experience Required (Summer Rains, #1)
  • Bordersnakes
  • Privileged Information (Alan Gregory, #1)
Craig Holden is the author of the novels The River Sorrow, The Last Sanctuary, Four Corners of Night, The Jazz Bird, The Narcissist's Daughter, and the forthcoming Matala. He is a recipient of the Great Lakes Book Award in Fiction, and was a featured guest at the Festival International du Roman Noir in Frontignan, France. His books have been translated into a dozen languages. He has taught at the ...more
More about Craig Holden...
The Jazz Bird The River Sorrow The Narcissist's Daughter The Last Sanctuary Matala