Start by marking “Das schlafende Geheimnis.” as Want to Read:
Das schlafende Geheimnis.

Paullina Simons

Das schlafende Geheimnis.

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,212 Ratings  ·  148 Reviews
Dartmouth students Kristina, Conni, Albert, and Jim seemingly inseparable friends. But they are bonded by dark, seductive secrets. Intense passions and simmering tensions have been building for years until a brutal act on a bitter cold night reveals shocking truths about each. This compelling narrative--with a surprise twist at the end--grips the reader from first page to ...more
Published February 1st 2001 by Ullstein Tb (first published September 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Das schlafende Geheimnis., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das schlafende Geheimnis.

karen

some books should remain out of print,left to molder and rot without curious readers tracking them down and disturbing the wisdom of nature. even ones that have saucy insets like this:

photo DSC03690_zpsf214b487.jpg

scandalous!

if you had told me that this book was written by an alien from the planet glorp with no familiarity with human behavior, i would have no trouble believing it.

if you told me this was a nanowrimo book, written in one month, without proofreading or author-sleep, i would understand.

if this were the work of
Marleen
Jan 04, 2009 Marleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would not have finished this book if it wasn't for Spencer's character. He's the reason I kept on reading. The Dartmouth students were probably too young for me to appreciate.
Karen
Jun 27, 2008 Karen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have never been so pissed off by the ending of a book!
Natalie
Dec 29, 2015 Natalie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYONE who enjoys a good mystery
Hairy Member
Aug 17, 2009 Hairy Member rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Load of incestious shit! The backwards/forwards dialogue especially at the beginning would be good enough to drive people to violence against the author. Worth recycling for toilet paper.
Sashi
Jan 17, 2012 Sashi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book. The elegant style it was written in with minimal words made it thoroughly enjoyable. Loved the story and the suspense. To me it was a perfect story.
LemonLinda
Nov 01, 2010 LemonLinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had previously read another Paullina Simon book and loved it - The Bronze Horseman. This book, however, was not at all similar to that book. It is a murder mystery set on the campus of Dartmouth College over the Thanksgiving holidays in the early 1980s. It started out quite slowly for me. In fact I was somewhat bored and thought it would have to improve to get 3 stars from me.

Well, improve it certainly did. In no way is this murder mystery predictable as so many are. Immediately you know who
Heather
Wow, what a complex mind/imagination Paullina Simons has. This is the story of 4 friends Kristina, Albert, Connie and Jim and one police officer Stanley and how there lives intertwine over some seriously mixed up and messed up relationships. The murder of one of the characters (Kristina) sets in motions the exploration as to the truth behind both the murder and the relationships – truly a tangled web that is woven and not revealed until the very end.
The first half of the book prior to the murder
Lindsay Heller
I don't know what to say about this book. I even had a hard time deciding how many star to grant it. It wasn't good, not really at all. There were parts that were cringe-worthy. But, it had its moments and it was sort of a page turner.

'Red Leaves' is the story of two people at heart; Kristina Kim and Spencer O'Malley. Kristina is on the verge of twenty-one, she's a philosophy major at Dartmouth and shows plenty of promise for the future. Except, she's kind of a completely idiot (more later). Sh
Blair
In news that will surprise no-one, I bought this because I read several reviews likening it to The Secret History. Yet again I've fallen victim to lazy comparisons: the books are alike only in that they both deal with the murder of a student at an Ivy League university (and there's the - admittedly very similar - detail that the body isn't discovered until a heavy snowfall has thawed). The writing couldn't be more different. This, along with Little Face, is one of the most odd and baffling books ...more
Rachel Zylstra
Nov 06, 2010 Rachel Zylstra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did I really love this book, or is it just because I love Paullina Simons so much that I decide I love her books before I've even read them?

No - I loved this book! What a great story! I loved it because usually with these kinds of books I find I can predict the outcome very easily, but I found myself to be wrong everytime I predicted something and the ending was so different from what I expected! But no less amazing.

You just kind of get thrown into the lives of these four college kids, wonderin
Debbie
Jun 14, 2014 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paulina Simon's has done it again. I was amazed at this book. The story was simple yet magnificent. The characters were ordinary college students but yet so much more. Everything about this book wsd just underneath the obvious but so beautifully delivered, the reader never knows.
Sonia Mantika
Apr 13, 2016 Sonia Mantika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Το πρώτο μέρος είναι βαρετό γιατί η συγγραφέας κάθεται και περιγράφει λεπτομερώς τη ζωή των τεσσάρων φοιτητών σε μια προσπάθεια να μας συστήσει τους χαρακτήρες. Ο φόνος αργεί να έρθει κι ο αναγνώστης δεν καταλαβαίνει αν πρόκειται για θρίλερ όταν διαβάζει την αρχή του. Αν μη τι άλλο, αποτελεί μέγιστη ανατροπή, ειδικά αν ο αναγνώστης έχει καταφέρει να δεθεί με τον χαρακτήρα που σκοτώνεται. Από τη μέση κι έπειτα, έχουμε ερασιτεχνική προσπάθεια να λυθεί το μυστήριο και ομολογώ ότι με κράτησε κολλημέ ...more
Teresa
Oct 10, 2010 Teresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four friends at an Ivy League college – one is found dead, frozen in the snow, having lain there for nine days – her disappearance is somehow overlooked by her bosom buddies. Spencer O’Malley, local police detective, is assigned to the case and is soon drawn into the web of deceit and secrets which ties the four students together. Further complications arise when it turns out that Spencer knew the victim.

In this, Simons’ second novel, she creates a tight and suspenseful thriller peopled with mos
Meagan
May 17, 2008 Meagan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2008-reads
Mary
Aug 30, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PS introduces us to 4 best friends tangled in strange relationships and a web of deceit and mystery. The story is compelling with a mind boggling twist that I wasn't expecting half way through, when a tragic incident enfolds with all 4 characters playing some sort of part.

This book had me guessing to the end. It wasn't predictable and I found it very enjoyable. I would explain this book as a murder/mystery novel, but it was enlighted with some likeable characters - Spencer is one of my favourite
Nicki
Feb 26, 2014 Nicki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the worst books I have read in a long time. The first half of the book is the 'background' of the four intertwined characters. It is a long drawn out section to establish this background and then you kill one of the main characters off? I felt I had just waisted 155 pages of descriptive, ground laying text - groan. I should have stopped there.

Things did get slightly better with the introduction of Spencer the detective investigating the murder. Though he was very unprofessional on
Tasmin
Apr 12, 2012 Tasmin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what I thought about this novel. It was quite frightening in places and I would never have guessed the twist but I found the plot somewhat unrealistic. There were lots of passages about what close friends the four main characters were, yet they were sleeping with each other's boyfriends and murdering each other. The thing that saved the book for me was Spencer. I just love him as a character and his cynical sense of humor kept me reading.
Kelly
Nov 11, 2010 Kelly marked it as tbr-mystery-thriller  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-campus-life
50 pages in, I'm really not sure about whether to continue. The story itself is fairly good, and it's gotten good reviews, people have liked it. But gah, the writing is really cheesy and overdone. Just not sure.
------------------------
Update: I'm just going to stop on this one and maybe try it again in the future. I haven't read anything from it in the past several days. Just couldn't get past my annoyance about certain things.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Overall, this is an okay book with a good plot but it has a very slow start and you have to wait till page 150 for something to actually happen... The middle section is pretty good but the end is pretty much unrealistic. As far as the characters are concerned, I didn't find them likeable at all but that was probably intentional on the author's part.
Cassie Donald
Feb 22, 2014 Cassie Donald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book. I had a little trouble getting into this book; but once I did, I couldn't put it down. The tangled web that these Dartmouth students are caught in keeps the reader guessing until the very end. You get involved in the lives of four college kids, wondering what their secrets are. It keeps you guessing until the very end.
Πάνος Τουρλής
Ένα πρωτότυπο βιβλίο μυστηρίου. Υπόθεση και πλοκή πρωτότυπη. Η αλήθεια είναι ότι το πρώτο μέρος κουράζει αλλά στο δεύτερο η πλοκή ανεβαίνει και εντείνεται ως το τραγικό, απίστευτο μυστικό της πρωταγωνίστριας. Προβληματισμός και μια λύση του δράματος "πέραν του κόσμου τούτου". Δεν κοιμήθηκα ώσπου να το τελειώσω.
L.J. Diaz
I really didn't enjoy this book. It was so hard to read - the chapters were way too long & the detailed conversations were totally unnecessary, not to mention mind-numbingly boring.

I did not like any of the characters, although I did manage to warm to Spencer eventually. My favorite character was actually Aristotle, the Labrador. But I do have to say Kristina didn't deserve such a loyal companion, so I was even irked by that!

The story wasn't at all suspenseful, like I was expecting. In fac
Ray Manson
Mar 15, 2014 Ray Manson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Keeps you guessing

not just another love story. Keeps you thinking intriguing,.
would recommend to all my friends and sleep read more of this author's
Paula Mailloux
Feb 04, 2016 Paula Mailloux rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't care for this book at all. I was originally excited to be reading another book by Paullina Simons, as I had LOVED "the Bronzed Horseman".

The entire first half...maybe more, was spent in total confusion. The characters didn't seem real, or behave in a common sense way. Such a popular girl, and no one was concerned about her disappearance? She was supposed to be the school star athlete, missing practices and important games...and still no alarm bells. Seriously, this is just unrealistic.
Donna-Jo Webster
A stunning psychological thriller! Four friends share life, love, and dreams on a New England college campus. And secrets. LOTS of secrets. One of the four is found dead and frozen in a snowbank just after Thanksgiving. Why didn't the surviving friends report a missing person? Why is the detective assigned to the case taking such an interest in the dead girl?
(Side story: I work in a rural public library and I've seen - and been intrigued by - this book for the past seventeen [!] years, vowing I'
Katelyn
Paullina never disappoints me... i didnt see the ending coming and I loved it
Rebecca
Aug 16, 2015 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-a-copy
When a female college student is found dead, why wasn't she reported missing by her closest friends?

"But what we are only comes out in crises. It's so easy to be passive in everyday life, which doesn't challenge us. There are no risks. But once or twice in our lives, our name is called. And when it's called, we have to stand up. Not run the other way." - Spencer

Hmmmmm, I'm having a difficult time rating this book. I absolutely LOVED the Tatiana series by this author, and they are on my all-time
Diana
Apr 13, 2014 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe this deserves 3.5 stars. It's not Tatiana & Alexander. It's good, the development of the characters in the beginning is engaging: some you like, some you detest, generally good storycraft.

Then we have the murder. Now Ms. Simons tries to cheat us - she does not show us what is happening, she tells us. Our hero goes off to visit the mother -- we don't know what transpires, but it's big! He has a sudden flash about fingerprints (of course he does, he saw the mother), we don't know why...
Tessa L
  • White Gardenia
  • Eleventh Hour
  • Angel Rock
  • No Bones
  • April Fool's Day
  • Split (Makedde Vanderwall, #2)
  • White
  • The Night Climbers: A Novel
  • An Absolute Scandal
  • What Becomes of the Broken Hearted? (Once Were Warriors, #2)
  • Growing Up Twice
  • Edge of the Rain
  • Bitter Chocolate
  • The River
  • Tatty
  • Blood
  • Lambs of God
Paullina Simons was born in Leningrad, USSR, in 1963. At the age of ten her family immigrated to the United States. Growing up in Russia Paullina dreamt of someday becoming a writer. Her dream was put on hold as she learned English and overcame the shock of a new culture.

After graduating from university and after various jobs including working as a financial journalist and as a translator Paullin
More about Paullina Simons...

“Though outwardly Kristina maintained that a clean room was a symptom of a diseased mind (for how could she, while studying the world's greatest thinkers, be bothered with such mundane earthly issues as cleaning?), inwardly she hated untidyness and made a point of spending as little time in the room as possible.” 7 likes