Start by marking “Das schlafende Geheimnis.” as Want to Read:
Das schlafende Geheimnis.
Paullina Simons

Das schlafende Geheimnis.

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  2,933 ratings  ·  140 reviews
Dartmouth students Kristina, Conni, Albert, and Jim seemingly inseparable friends. But they are bonded by dark, seductive secrets. Intense passions and simmering tensions have been building for years until a brutal act on a bitter cold night reveals shocking truths about each. This compelling narrative--with a surprise twist at the end--grips the reader from first page to ...more
Published February 1st 2001 by Ullstein Tb (first published September 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Das schlafende Geheimnis., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das schlafende Geheimnis.

some books should remain out of print,left to molder and rot without curious readers tracking them down and disturbing the wisdom of nature. even ones that have saucy insets like this:

photo DSC03690_zpsf214b487.jpg

if you had told me that this book was written by an alien from the planet glorp with no familiarity with human behavior, i would have no trouble believing it.

if you told me this was a nanowrimo book, written in one month, without proofreading or author-sleep, i would understand.

if this were the work of
I would not have finished this book if it wasn't for Spencer's character. He's the reason I kept on reading. The Dartmouth students were probably too young for me to appreciate.
Sep 14, 2015 Natalie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYONE who enjoys a good mystery
Shelves: 3-stars
Hairy Member
Load of incestious shit! The backwards/forwards dialogue especially at the beginning would be good enough to drive people to violence against the author. Worth recycling for toilet paper.
I have never been so pissed off by the ending of a book!
Wow, what a complex mind/imagination Paullina Simons has. This is the story of 4 friends Kristina, Albert, Connie and Jim and one police officer Stanley and how there lives intertwine over some seriously mixed up and messed up relationships. The murder of one of the characters (Kristina) sets in motions the exploration as to the truth behind both the murder and the relationships – truly a tangled web that is woven and not revealed until the very end.
The first half of the book prior to the murder
Lindsay Heller
I don't know what to say about this book. I even had a hard time deciding how many star to grant it. It wasn't good, not really at all. There were parts that were cringe-worthy. But, it had its moments and it was sort of a page turner.

'Red Leaves' is the story of two people at heart; Kristina Kim and Spencer O'Malley. Kristina is on the verge of twenty-one, she's a philosophy major at Dartmouth and shows plenty of promise for the future. Except, she's kind of a completely idiot (more later). Sh
In news that will surprise no-one, I bought this because I read several reviews likening it to The Secret History. Yet again I've fallen victim to lazy comparisons: the books are alike only in that they both deal with the murder of a student at an Ivy League university (and there's the - admittedly very similar - detail that the body isn't discovered until a heavy snowfall has thawed). The writing couldn't be more different. This, along with Little Face, is one of the most odd and baffling books ...more
Loved the book. The elegant style it was written in with minimal words made it thoroughly enjoyable. Loved the story and the suspense. To me it was a perfect story.
I had previously read another Paullina Simon book and loved it - The Bronze Horseman. This book, however, was not at all similar to that book. It is a murder mystery set on the campus of Dartmouth College over the Thanksgiving holidays in the early 1980s. It started out quite slowly for me. In fact I was somewhat bored and thought it would have to improve to get 3 stars from me.

Well, improve it certainly did. In no way is this murder mystery predictable as so many are. Immediately you know who
Four friends at an Ivy League college – one is found dead, frozen in the snow, having lain there for nine days – her disappearance is somehow overlooked by her bosom buddies. Spencer O’Malley, local police detective, is assigned to the case and is soon drawn into the web of deceit and secrets which ties the four students together. Further complications arise when it turns out that Spencer knew the victim.

In this, Simons’ second novel, she creates a tight and suspenseful thriller peopled with mos
Rachel Zylstra
Did I really love this book, or is it just because I love Paullina Simons so much that I decide I love her books before I've even read them?

No - I loved this book! What a great story! I loved it because usually with these kinds of books I find I can predict the outcome very easily, but I found myself to be wrong everytime I predicted something and the ending was so different from what I expected! But no less amazing.

You just kind of get thrown into the lives of these four college kids, wonderin
PS introduces us to 4 best friends tangled in strange relationships and a web of deceit and mystery. The story is compelling with a mind boggling twist that I wasn't expecting half way through, when a tragic incident enfolds with all 4 characters playing some sort of part.

This book had me guessing to the end. It wasn't predictable and I found it very enjoyable. I would explain this book as a murder/mystery novel, but it was enlighted with some likeable characters - Spencer is one of my favourite
This is one of the worst books I have read in a long time. The first half of the book is the 'background' of the four intertwined characters. It is a long drawn out section to establish this background and then you kill one of the main characters off? I felt I had just waisted 155 pages of descriptive, ground laying text - groan. I should have stopped there.

Things did get slightly better with the introduction of Spencer the detective investigating the murder. Though he was very unprofessional on
I'm not sure what I thought about this novel. It was quite frightening in places and I would never have guessed the twist but I found the plot somewhat unrealistic. There were lots of passages about what close friends the four main characters were, yet they were sleeping with each other's boyfriends and murdering each other. The thing that saved the book for me was Spencer. I just love him as a character and his cynical sense of humor kept me reading.
Nov 11, 2010 Kelly marked it as tbr-mystery-thriller  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-campus-life
50 pages in, I'm really not sure about whether to continue. The story itself is fairly good, and it's gotten good reviews, people have liked it. But gah, the writing is really cheesy and overdone. Just not sure.
Update: I'm just going to stop on this one and maybe try it again in the future. I haven't read anything from it in the past several days. Just couldn't get past my annoyance about certain things.
Cassie Donald
Fantastic book. I had a little trouble getting into this book; but once I did, I couldn't put it down. The tangled web that these Dartmouth students are caught in keeps the reader guessing until the very end. You get involved in the lives of four college kids, wondering what their secrets are. It keeps you guessing until the very end.
Paulina Simon's has done it again. I was amazed at this book. The story was simple yet magnificent. The characters were ordinary college students but yet so much more. Everything about this book wsd just underneath the obvious but so beautifully delivered, the reader never knows.
Laura Diaz
I really didn't enjoy this book. It was so hard to read - the chapters were way too long & the detailed conversations were totally unnecessary, not to mention mind-numbingly boring.

I did not like any of the characters, although I did manage to warm to Spencer eventually. My favorite character was actually Aristotle, the Labrador. But I do have to say Kristina didn't deserve such a loyal companion, so I was even irked by that!

The story wasn't at all suspenseful, like I was expecting. In fac
Ray Manson
Keeps you guessing

not just another love story. Keeps you thinking intriguing,.
would recommend to all my friends and sleep read more of this author's
Paullina never disappoints me... i didnt see the ending coming and I loved it
When a female college student is found dead, why wasn't she reported missing by her closest friends?

"But what we are only comes out in crises. It's so easy to be passive in everyday life, which doesn't challenge us. There are no risks. But once or twice in our lives, our name is called. And when it's called, we have to stand up. Not run the other way." - Spencer

Hmmmmm, I'm having a difficult time rating this book. I absolutely LOVED the Tatiana series by this author, and they are on my all-time
Maybe this deserves 3.5 stars. It's not Tatiana & Alexander. It's good, the development of the characters in the beginning is engaging: some you like, some you detest, generally good storycraft.

Then we have the murder. Now Ms. Simons tries to cheat us - she does not show us what is happening, she tells us. Our hero goes off to visit the mother -- we don't know what transpires, but it's big! He has a sudden flash about fingerprints (of course he does, he saw the mother), we don't know why...
Tessa L
Chantelle Roberts
I had pretty high expectations as some of my favourite books are written by Paullina Simons, but unfortunately I think they were a little too high. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book, it just wasn't very memorable.

Having read 'The Girl in the Times Square' I was looking forward to reading about the character 'Spencer' again. Though he has his flaws, you can't help but feel for him and understand where he is coming from. The best part of this book is when its from his point of view.

The 3 cha
Kurt Keefner
I give up. This novel makes no sense. We're supposed to believe this quartet of college students is tight-knit, yet two of them do despicable things to the other two. I hate them.

Further, to give away one detail from very close to the beginning, the future murder victim, is married to the Korean family lawyer, who promised her dying parent he'd take care of her. Take care of her by marrying her when she was, what, 16?! Credulity strains, creaks and finally, snaps.

I did like the cop a bit, but a
Chris Keightley
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Like others, I found the first half to be a bit long but the characters drew me into their world and I was hooked. The suspense, drama and logic of the tale kept me intrigued and I found it hard to put the book down. I thoroughly enjoy the descriptive imagery, the expert character development and the complexity of The story. I thought that the ending fitted the personality of the Detective and made perfect sense.
An interesting murder mystery. I'm a little torn about this book... From reading the blurb, you know that the leading lady is going to die and assume that the hunt for her killer will be the main plot of the book. However, she doesn't die until half way through the book. I wasn't particularly gripped until after her death, at which point the story is amped up to a high speed and leave you constantly second guessing every character.
  • Angel Rock
  • White Gardenia
  • No Bones
  • Eleventh Hour
  • The Night Climbers: A Novel
  • Split (Makedde Vanderwall, #2)
  • Every Woman Knows A Secret
  • The Whispering: A haunted house mystery
  • Watch Me Disappear
  • Their Finest Hour and a Half
  • The Whole World
Paullina Simons was born in Leningrad, USSR, in 1963. At the age of ten her family immigrated to the United States. Growing up in Russia Paullina dreamt of someday becoming a writer. Her dream was put on hold as she learned English and overcame the shock of a new culture.

After graduating from university and after various jobs including working as a financial journalist and as a translator Paullin
More about Paullina Simons...
The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1) Tatiana and Alexander (The Bronze Horseman, #2) The Summer Garden (The Bronze Horseman, #3) Tully The Girl In Times Square

“Though outwardly Kristina maintained that a clean room was a symptom of a diseased mind (for how could she, while studying the world's greatest thinkers, be bothered with such mundane earthly issues as cleaning?), inwardly she hated untidyness and made a point of spending as little time in the room as possible.” 7 likes